Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I love Acid Storm but it's difficult to get him here, so I hope you guys drown in them instead :colbert:

As they say around these parts, "Dios le da pan al que no tiene dientes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So, Armada Starscream, huh? Also who the heck is Scoop supposed to be?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I was just doing a quick search on tfwiki. Somehow I had completely forgotten he existed, and assumed he was an obscure comics character or something.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So apparently the "fan-built" transformer will be a "Fembot Seeker with a sword"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

panel questions posted:

"No plans for MLP Transformer"

Thanks TF fans, for asking the important questions. :ughh:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What have we here?

A Minicon Combiner? Miniconbiner? Looks pretty rad!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the NECA figures?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wow! I had only seen them in pictures, which sort of hide those problems. Just wanted to know anyway, I don't collect other stuff outside TFs these days. I just know that "smelly plastic" issue you guys mention would drive me mad, and I'm a bit OCD when a figure has small imperfections so these definitely aren't for me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Rage posted:

Its got a new paint job. Looks like it might be the Takara paint job.

It's different from the Takara one (no red crotch) but better than regular retail colors, with more paint apps and golden chest.

vvv Eh, I understand it's a divisive mold but I like both Bruticus and Grimlock enough that I just ordered the platinum edition. Now I'm torn between selling my G2 Brut, or keep 'im to have two Bruticuses (bruticii?) with different configurations. It's a very fun mold if you mistransform the limbs a bit. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm sure it looks better in hand, but I don't like the chromed parts on SDCCtroplex/Takaraplex too much from what I see in pictures. I love the figure but I'm not even sure if I want to get the regular one, I just don't have the space to display one anymore!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Platinum Magnus is pretty much Prime Magnus.

BTW I recently got Beast Hunters Magnus and he's very neat, definitely better than what I expected. I liked his RiD incarnation but this one's way better, and a great example of a remold done right.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Optimist Prime posted:

So I've been rewatching Beast Wars on Netflix (currently on the Rampage debut in Season Two). Having not watched any other series (not even G1 :blush: ) I'm just looking for proper confirmation that:

1) The BW Season 2 Predacons are the greatest faction/alliance/whatever in Transformers history
2) Tarantulas is the greatest, period, and should have his own wing in the TF Hall of Fame
3) The Tarantulas/Blackarachnia arc in Seasons 1 & 2 - Tarantulas is basically a goon who makes himself a girlfriend and tries to control her remotely - is (again, just guessing here) the only really tactful exploration of female agency and identity in the entirety of TF fiction

Seriously, how did no one remind me how amazing Tarantulas is, I haven't watched most of these since I was 8 and the most vivid memory I had from the Predacon side is Waspinator's Flight of the Bumblebee music. (Waspinator is still great BTW)

Man, you gotta get a Transmetals Tarantulas somehow. Spiderbike owns!

He was a great secondary villain in how he had his own agenda, wasn't an idiot like Starscream and didn't give a single gently caress about what Megatron said or did.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Goon posted:

I just got Voyager Blitzwing, and man his shoulders :

Anyone know a good fix for them that doesn't involve hours of work with a dremel?

Before you try anything more invasive give this one a chance.

I tried it after the sanding method wasn't quite enough, and in less than 5 minutes My Blitzwing had rock solid shoulders at last.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MP Soundwave apparently has hit retail, if anyone's interested. Grab your guns.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Knormal posted:

Can you post a picture of the back of Platinum Magnus in truck mode without the hammer? The kibble on the Optimus version of the mold was a dealbreaker for me, I'm curious if the Magnus remold disguises it any better.

It doesn't. But I still think it looks pretty good!

TheDK posted:

Which one do you like the best? Feel free to make a video about which one is your favorite and why so that I can watch it on youtube.

I have the PRiD version (the upscaled cyberverse) and love/hate it so I want to get another, much better Ultra Magnus.

I can recommend BH Magnus as the superior one between the voyagers. Cool accessories, posable and feels solid. At least it's much better than the PriD one (although I didn't hate that one either)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well, I'm sure they are gonna milk that mold as much as they're able, as they did with Bruticus. So I wouldn't be surprised if they redeco it at least once, maybe some minor remold, and probably a similar or straight second run of the SDCC version.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

GD_American posted:

Let's be honest I doubt less than 10 percent of fans who will buy Metroplex would buy a Metrotitan repaint

Well we are talking about a company that said "Yeah we should make a Masterpiece Acid Storm".

Not that I disagree, I would love some Acid Stormyness.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Didn't they mention that Geishabot would be #30 too? Maybe I'm misremembering from the panel live updates.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think that giant thing behind Computron comes off and becomes a big rear end bow-like weapon. At least it looked like that in early concept photos. It looks rad!

That roadbuster... looks fine in bot mode, but the altmode is a bit silly, particularly those dinky wheels.

I... dunno why, but I'm not that impressed by Menasor. I mean yeah it looks cool as hell but just not enough to pay that price for it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I am VERY interested in that add-on set for Bruticus. It's actually made by a Radicon who spent a lot of time improving it and instead of going the shapeways way, he took the extra step to offer it via third party, fully painted for each version of Brut. It makes a toy that I already enjoy into something very awesome. Hopefully it won't be too expensive, I've got G2 Bruticus and have the Platinum version on the way.

vvv It was worth it for Knockout's scene at the end vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 28, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yet for all that criticism they seem to sell pretty well (Grimlock and the various Brut repaints I mean), the thing with this fandom is that often people go "I HATE THIS MOLD I WILL ONLY BUY TWO COPIES, ok maybe three but that's it!". To answer Wendigo's question, If i recall correctly the shared exclusive is with Amazon so as Keldroc said, there's probably a decent amount of them if you wanna wait a month.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Szmitten posted:

As a Bruticus fan and owner of the original G1 toy, I am disappointed by other attempts at Bruticus. Why is he always so lanky? :(

My theory is that:

- First, they don't want to sell combiner teams in different size classes (unless they come in a pack like the PCCs did) to make it easier for kids to assemble the whole thing.

- And second, Hasbro people have mentioned recently how they don't want the figures to have any add-on parts that are essential (for example, the old combiners' feet, fists and faceplates) because it sucks when you lose a small important part and you're stuck with an incomplete figure. Thus the combiner parts have to be somewhat self-contained.

That said, there are some configurations that make FoC Bruticus look pretty good already, but I won't deny that it's a flawed toy. I'm still expecting more info on that addon kit, but I fear that it's gonna cost a fortune.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Every single Voyager besides Grimwing and Ultra Magnus, and now this.

But those are from the BH line, and none of those have light or sounds. In fact all of the BH voyagers are pretty decent if not great. Grimwing is like, fantastic if you manage to lock his torso together, which requires a little tinkering.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I found it funny that Cybertron Scourge,Cryo Scourge, and Universe 2.0 Bruticus were much better big hulking dragon things than the recent Predacons.

I dunno man, that mold is... yeah, good looking, but it barely has articulation. I admit I've got particular TF tastes but I've liked most predacons so far. They're easy to transform and articulated in both modes, and I love the aesthetics. Even Skystalker which is said to be the worst is cool if you get the bot mode right, I dig him and even want the Skylinx repaint. I just wish they made more predacons and less spiky remolds!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is it true that the Glacialord combined form has optional extra articulation to be less brickish if you want to? I mean it's pretty sweet as it is already, but from Peaugh's reviews on the two released so far, it seemed like they had some extra usable joints in limb mode.

vvv What do you mean? AFAIK the locking problem is only in robot mode? vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 29, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Incidentally, I never did like TM2 Megatron that much. The dragon mode is pretty cool indeed, but bot mode proportions are just way off. It does have magnificent colors however, and the Takara version of beastfire Predaking appears to homage him. Overall I disliked many of the TM2 molds, there was something... off with most of them. Tigerhawk is pretty cool however, but the Razorclaw repaint looks way better IMO.

To me, the best version of BW Megatron will always be the transmetal voyager, fragile as it is.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mine is still OK, I think I transformed him last year just to see what'd happen, but yeah he stays in robot mode for now. I still fiddle with Tarantulas, TM Scavenger, Manterror and Tripredacus regularly because I love those guys. Rampage is also great, I mean what's not to like with a monstrous shiny king crab gatling-gun tank.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sounds like BS honestly... the "return to 2d with a younger target audience" rumor seemed more likely. Sometimes I just wonder if just taking the IDWverse to TV would work.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honest Ray posted:

So I got Soundwave and he is truly glorious. I have one question though; there is this grey piece that comes with him and I have no idea what it connects to or even does. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll get a picture later. Also how does the energon cube work?

If it's what I'm thinking, it plugs into his wrist (his hand has to be folded away). It's some scanner or something that he used in one episode.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Actually Deep Dive was the repaint. Seaspray, like Bludgeon, was designed to be halfway classics/movieverse so you can really put it anywhere in your collection and it won't look out of place, even though some fans will want to burn you if you put it with your classics/generations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

There's no need to doubt it, because they've flat-out said it in panels, although it was a few years ago. And Targetmaster figures do not fall under the same heading, because losing a gun to a figure or a data disc isn't the same as losing the figure's head.

Also while they said generations was more collector-centered and would be more complex than the mainline, they still are toys made for children.

Now speaking of generations, I wasn't really paying attention to the Orion Pax figure, but after seeing a bit more and a few reviews, I'm honestly impressed with it. It looks pretty fun actually! I hope I can somehow grab both him and Megatron, they might be tiny but they look like neat toys.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

The description for Shark Megatron on HTS is so great
The guy who writes these has the best job in Hasbro. It doesn't even make sense, really, it sounds like the drunken ravings of a bewildered sea captain or something.

Also which one is big dumb optimus? The leaderesque horror show?

Many of the BH bios don't even coincide with what's in the instructions story, and look like the guy was shown a picture of the toy and was told to just write his impressions. "Wow so let's see... this guy is LASERBACK and he has like a ... jaw or something and LAUNCHES TWO MISILES holy gently caress! (he only has one, forked missile)"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

strangehamster posted:

That THOAS looks like a sasquatch smoking a corn-cob pipe.

And they already had a sorta decent "old-man bot" with the Jetfire design already. I mean seriously what the gently caress is that :D

So has anyone seen the RiD preview? Apparently Starscream's getting a new body (Armada style?) and we have a new decepticon doctor, Flatline (from some movieverse comics I guess). That's a pretty cool name by the way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well, if Whirl got one deluxe and one voyager we can always hope for ol' Roadbuster (even though I always found him boring as gently caress). I had both as a kid and I loved Whirl sooooo much. He was a kickass helicopter, I wish they did GDO WHirl instead of Springer for the tomahawk retool.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

The exclusives are meant to be souvenirs of the convention. You went, you saw the panel, you got the autograph, you bought the toy you could only get by going there. If you want one, go to the convention (or hope to be lucky on the company's store afterward in some cases). As long as the mold itself isn't limited solely to the convention (and that'll never happen, obviously), a toy that can only be obtained by attending some special event is entirely appropriate and should remain as such if it's advertised as such. If they want to sell them later at mass retail they can call them "early access" and not "exclusive," because words mean things.

I have no idea where the "stock" comparison comes from. This isn't about monetary value, it's about what "exclusive" means.

You still get an exclusive product though? SDCC Bruticus came in special packaging and even though Platinum Brut uses an extremely similar deco, they aren't the same thing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

WendigoJohnson posted:

Boxes don't matter if you open your toys. :unsmigghh:

Oh, definitely. But I have to admit I've kept some of the nicer boxes, just because they look so cool. But yeah the whole MISB mentality has never made sense to me, even less with toys whose whole appeal is that they transform.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you sure you've clicked them in all the way? Mine are all fine.

Also it's not immediately obvious but they are NOT interchangeable! each can only go on one side. If you have 'em wrong at most it will -seem- like they click in but they'll fall as soon as you look at them funny. Just check that the pins on the piledrivers are always facing back and they'll click in sweetly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As someone already mentioned some pages ago, I'd rather have a new Astrotrain, even if it seems unfair to the other remaining (and inferior) triple-changers. Astrotrain deserves it. It was my first transformer, I think.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The arms I can somewhat forgive (but having those huge rear end legs in contrast doesn't help), but that face... what the hell was the designer thinking?

edit: holy poo poo after having him for a while I never noticed MP Soundwave has speakers molded inside the panels that hide his hands :psyduck: This guy is just chock-full of neat details.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 5, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A small head generally gives the illusion that the character is bigger. Sometimes they pull it off right, sometimes they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Beastfire Predaking would cost nearly 120 dollars if it were sold here, so having someone buy it on the US and ship it to thirdworldland is actually cheaper, as it is with TFs most of the time. This is true even if customs decides to have some fun with you.