Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So last night I made my first Transformers purchase since Fall of Cybertron when I grabbed the Construct Bots Ultimate Class Optimus Prime & Megatron Two Pack and so far it(like the rest of the line) looks very promising and I'll give it a full review once I've built them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You know I just realized that IDW Ultra Magnus is technically a Brainmaster, also there's a minor character in Victory named Governor Riker that looks a lot like his Minimus Ambus look

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nilryna posted:

It's killing me to wait for the prototype pictures. I have to see how awesome it is. I mean, it's not like they can gently caress it up... right? ...Right, guys?

EDIT:

Also, I'm trying to get some extra cash for a 3DS, so I went through my stash of TFs. Out of 3 bins of figures, this is what I could part with. Very random, and apparently I hate jets now? Any reasonable offer will be considered because I hate dealing with TF sperglords on eBay and such.

So, if anyone wants anything, lemme know.

Also, the black and gray dealie is a Rodimus that I airbrushed grey and black for Shadow Scyther before I picked up a bootleg one.

And, the insecticons are busted to poo poo and kinda only good for parts. Same with the bottom of Skylynx, and ... Huffer? Is that his name?

VVVV

Very top left is a Generations/Universe Blaster.

The one directly underneath it is WFC Megatron. Or, if you're talking about the one to Blaster's right, that's Universe Ramjet.

How much for Thunderwing?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I picked up Orion Pax & IDW Megatron today and I really like both figures but man are their transformations finicky as all hell

Also both of their spotlight issues are amazing, Megatron is the epitome of magnificent bastard, and I love that Alpha Trion's alt mode is a freaking Tumbler

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So today I was looking through a Collections Etc catalog and in the children's gift section I found two interesting non-Transformers transforming robot toys, so my fellow goons let me introduce you to; Twist N Change Robot & Lighted Hummer Transformer

Twist N Change Robot

Lighted Hummer Transformer

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Eh I've always felt the best candidate for Classics Galvatron is the purple version of the Energon Megatron/Galvatron mold(there's a lot of Unicron Trilogy & RiD figures that work well for a classics lineup that don't get their fair share of recognition, although that number lowers as more G1 & G2 characters get CHUG and/or 3rd party versions)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Knormal posted:

There was PCC Huffer. Not technically Classics/Generations but the same design style. Hasbro probably considers that enough to check him off their list. Remember some of the '84 guys we've considered Classics were actually released under movie sublines, like Windcharger and Seaspray. I'd like a good deluxe or voyager Huffer too though, I always had a soft spot for the character ever since that time he picked up a woolly mammoth and threw it at some cavemen.

There are some real nice looking third-party Huffers coming out, but I don't really feel the need to spend $100 on a Masterpiece-level Huffer.

Not to mention there're plenty of Unicron Trilogy and even some RiD & Beast era figures that work as CHUG/G1 characters(Energon Galvatron is still the best modernization of Galvatron in my opinion)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Keldroc posted:

I should note that while I do hate Beast Machines on a special level because of the lovely writing of the Beast Wars characters, I was able to watch the whole thing on DVD without too much trouble. I have yet to actually make it through more than half a season of any of the Unicron Trilogy drivel, so I would not call BM the worst TF series on its own merits. It may be bad, but it's not (generally) insulting.

I will just never understand why Japan doesn't seem to think "giant alien robots who transform into other things" is a good enough hook for a show, and insist on introducing all the weird mystical poo poo and tone-deaf slapstick into it. In all the years Transformers have existed, how the hell hasn't at least one of the Japan-produced shows been something along the lines of MS 08th Squad?

Don't you mean 08th MS Team?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's the Gobots, I mean this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4IqLfzHwg

And this is what we got:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ARpYKUoNB8

Also, I caught an episode of Ben 10 one morning and it has loving Crasher from the Gobots in it.

Speaking of Machine Robo go look up the opening for the second series Battle Hackers which has one of the catchiest opening songs ever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

strangehamster posted:

I was looking at those V-tech dinosaurs (again) at Target, the basic ones are the same price point as deluxes. The Vtech toys weigh 4x more, have lights, sounds, and a display inside of them. I almost got "MC Roar the Giganotosaurus" because he reminded me of a vehicon.

That is a perfect example of a toy line your inner 5 year would kill to get

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I would say you're forgetting when it comes to good 80's tie-in comics from Marvel, both the excellent ROM: Spaceknight & the hidden gem that is Grant Morrison's Marvel UK Zoids comic, in fact I'm noticing a trend where Marvel's best tie-in stuff often involves robots or giant monsters, see also the 70's classics Godzilla, and Shogun Warriors(besides G.I. Joe that is)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You know someone really needs to compile a list of all Third Party Transformers cause it's getting hard to keep track of them all(especially since there isn't a good wiki for them like official Transformers have)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a vtech Dino stegosaurus? And if so, is it cool? :ohdear:

Stegosaurus best saurus.

There is one, his name is Tonn and he turns into a Bumblebee-like yellow compact car

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blackheart posted:

If I haven't convinced you guys yet about my horrible taste in plastic robots, I picked these guys on discount and they're surprisingly solid and fun to play with, if you fiddle and customize them a bit (which honestly, is the whole point). They're voyager-sized and the best thing is their accessories and guns (the megs vs. optimus pack comes with a ton of extras) have standard 5mm pegs and pegholes so they're great for arming your regular transformers.

Just look at Hound's :buddy: face

Don't worry you have good taste, the Construct Bots line is fantastic for what it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Phy posted:

Yeah, it's stuff like that that is what I've been liking Dark Cybertron for. Optimus Prime is not your dad.

I don't know that seems kinda out of character for Optimus to me(although I'm not as familiar with the IDW version as I am with others)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Other posted:

Don't forget Planet-X is making FoC styled figures of every Dinobot including the obscure Paddles

If I were to go with a third party set of Dinobots these are the guys I'd go with, because who could resist Paddles?(that and the FoC style would mesh better with the eventual CHUG collection I someday plan to assemble)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Is he just going to be stomping on maternity wards in this one or what?
I just have to say that is one of the most terrifying images I've ever seen

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I tried reading 4chan once, but all I got was a facefull of dickgirls.

Did you go to /b/ or something cause that usually doesn't happen on the blueboards(the boards with a blue default background that are ostensibly SFW) at least not without being spoiled first

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IDW has been pretty good at making Cybertronians alien enough to be interesting yet human enough to be relatable, something that Animated was also pretty good at

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You(or whoever did it) better do an even more ridiculous combination using the other two Dinobots when they come out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm 23 so I grew up with the tail end of G2(Dreadwing and Smokescreen were my first transformers as far as I know) and Beast Wars(I remember watching that and Bananas In Pajamas before going to school, which is quite the tonal shift when you think about it), found Beast Machines weird(I remember it and Spider-Man Unlimited confusing if neat), loved RID(it's version of Megatron/Galvatron/Gigatron is still one of the best in my opinion), loved Armada(still have Tidal Wave and Demolisher), thought Energon had some interesting ideas, actually really liked Cybertron(still has the best final fight between an Optimus and a Megatron in my opinion), found the movies to be a very mixed bag(although they've had some really cool toys), LOVED Animated(still my favorite series), and felt Prime had some good ideas(that were hampered horribly by their decision to use CGI instead of normal animation), also from what little I've seen of Rescue Bots indicates it's pretty good for a show of it's
demographic

TLDR: lifelong fan of the franchise, hope to be one for the rest of it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

So the preview for RID has Galvatron, in the distant past, fighting an honest to god Headmaster.

Remember Thinkbox, Spike? Are you ready for the ultimate twist, a reference to Heart of Darkness alongside a reference to the ongoing?

Well that surprises me, IDW usually goes out of their way to ignore pretty much any notable sub-type of Transformer besides Combiners and Recordicons, and even those don't have much notability to them(seriously 99% of the time a Combiner will show up, last for somewhere between 1 to 5 pages and then get it's rear end kicked without having accomplished much), it's one of those aspects of IDW Transformers that bugs me heavily

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

What are you defining as "notable sub-types"?

Pretty much any transformer that isn't a standard 'robot to vehicle or animal' two-mode one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

The monsterbots were in maximum dinobots or whatever and I think their sparking was referenced, but I don't know where my copy is. The throttlebots fought Sixshot in one of Metroplex's confusing appearances that never built to anything really.

Also I was actually looking for a more specific list, because the comic does have Headmasters, triple changers, duocons, seacons, the predators, pretenders, one of the six-changers and beastformers of several kinds.

Well yeah some stuff has shown up but it's almost always briefly and unimportant in nature(and that's if they don't just get immediately get killed off before getting a chance to do something interesting)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Leader Megatron is probably the best Megatron to date, but that's not because it's really very good-looking (so far, could be mistransformed or something).

I don't know both Deluxe IDW Megatron and Deluxe WFC Megatron are pretty good(if a little on the small side)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 22, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

So the Hub is dead.

It's getting Reverted back into a Discovery Kids channel, and while Hasbro still owns a part of it. There's no word on what programs are going to be affected by this.

While I'm sure Hasbro might keep some of it's shows on there, this sounds to me to be very likely Hasbro will probably go back to having one of the actually important Children's Networks for any future shows or seasons, with the big thing being whether they go crawling back to Cartoon Network(CN would probably appreciate having Transformers again, and especially the stupidly huge amounts of money the Pastel Talking Equines would bring them), or if they try something with Nickelodeon(I hope not, cause Nick has been a horrible network for about 6-8 years now for the most part, and action shows don't thrive well there)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

This talk about the Titan figures reminds me of the Robot Chicken sketch about Rock Lords

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Technically Gaia Unicron was a Rock Lord.

you know you're right(also found the sketch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ostRhMox8

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hell I wouldn't even mind if they just rereleased his first Prime mold but give it a G1 accurate color scheme and head, although a new mold would obviously be the best way of handling it

Also what would you want to see in a future TF comic from IDW outside of their main continuity?

For me it would be a Beast Wars comic, based on the tie-in comic included in the Optimus/Megatron two-pack(thus set in the modern day), written by James Roberts, and drawn by James Stokoe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well went and bought a Jhiaxus today at a local TRU cause he was on sale, almost went with Whirl but I figured I'd be more likely to find him again than Mr Orange would be, also saw the Optimus Two-Pack and was somewhat tempted(cause I've wanted a Classics Prime forever), but at 45 dollars(even if it'd be cheaper due to being on sale) I'm not quite sold on it(although if I joined in on the Secret Santa I'd probably buy it and send the Evasion Prime as my gift)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man this train talk reminds me that in our garage we have like 10-15 big drums(the kind they sell bulk pool chlorine in) full of train stuff belonging to my maternal Grandpa(he's still alive, he just doesn't have the room for it back on Catalina Island where he lives), as far as I know they haven't been opened in years, should really check on them one of these days to make sure they still work

Also to make this thread relevant I highly recommend the Transformers: The Complete Ark book, it's a simply beautiful book full of wonderful art, but I'm sure plenty of people here already know that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

well found a ROTF Thrust at a thrift shop(a Savers to be specific) today for 3 bucks, and I'd have to say he was worth the price, he's actually pretty cool, although I think he might be the most lightly armed Decepticon I own, also he can sorta do a Gerwalk mode(albeit without any arms since they form part of the plane body), and he's one of the early ones with the G1 style Decepticon logo instead of the Movie version

also I can't help picturing him fighting like this guy(cause I'm a giant weeb/nerd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

also since I'll probably obtain a proper G1 style Thrust one day(either the currently existing CHUG version, or any possible future version), is there any other Burgundy(or other reasonably close enough shade) colored Decepticon Jets I could rebrand this guy as?(cause I'm one of those nerds who likes to make stories with their toys, and I've got this whole huge alternate Transformers continuity thought up in my head, that I've put more time and thought into than is healthy)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 21, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

catch22 posted:

The top half of Flywheels?

hmm since the odds of Flywheels getting a new figure are relatively minimal(outside of a possible Blitzwing repaint anyways, much like Battletrap could be done from Springer's mold, although that wouldn't be as fitting), that wouldn't be a bad idea(also it's pretty funny how Battletrap's TFWiki page is begging Hasbro to make a new toy for him)

The_Doctor posted:

Oh it's a repaint of D'awwplane :3:

remold technically since he has a new head(less adorable but still pretty unique)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm really hoping Combiner Wars does well enough so not only can we get stuff like the Terrorcons and Seacons, but also really out there stuff like Dinoking, or Raiden, or Liokaiser, plus maybe eventually an original Combiner or two

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah I was just reading through it :allears:

I'm curious to who the Purple Powerglide repaint could be because I hope this doesn't mean we're getting Defensor and a repainted Superion. Powerglide's gun mode is a bit more universal than something like Blackjack. So I hope it's just a singular repaint instead of a whole team.

Maybe it's Lugnut?(which reminds me I need to hunt down his CHUG mold)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Outside of Animated Shockwave and G1 Shockwave, every other shockwave has had a real lovely alt mode.

What about FOC Shockwave or the Alternity/Binaltech Shockwave?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just read through all of The Transformers vs G.I. Joe that's currently out, and it's been an amazing trip so far

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Phy posted:

There ain't no paint on Mixmaster's windows. That at least seems like a scrub move.

Holy poo poo this. At least I've already got FOC Bruticus, even though he isn't NewScramble style.

Apparently we're gonna get to see more of Ladyplanet. This is their Alien Space Pope

I'm not the only one getting both a Sari Sumdac robot mode and Solus Prime vibe off of her right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

With a smidge of Rodimus (I think from the shoulder-spikes/back-kibble and colour scheme). Yup.

And she has a Matrix-on-a-Stick!

Of course now that's reminding me of my old silly theory that Sari is the Reincarnation of Solus Prime(I figure it's as good an explanation as any for where the hell did she come from)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Doesn't Sari predate Solus Prime by a couple years? I thought Solus was a TFP era invention, along with the rest of the 13 having names and identities.

Really wish Salvia wasn't delayed :(

Yes but it wouldn't be the first time a retcon of that nature has happened