Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think AHM is fine, assuming you read it as a self-contained work or a new storyline. Just ignore the threads leading back to the tapestry Furman worked on. Lots of interesting ideas that have been improved and brought forward.

I mean in lots of ways I think AHM is a better jumping on point than LSOTW, insofar as being neither as repulsive or off tone from the rest of the books. But then you're recommending a far worse story and it's all such a jumble anyway. I really wish IDW would publish something that flashes back to about the same point to serve as an introduction to their canon so we don't have a big pile of "best fit" answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Have they actually said anything about getting Sideswipe over here, rest of the world, etc?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Squalitude posted:

I've not really bothered with the comics this century but those MTMTE images did get my attention. Does Ultra Magnus always come across like Kryten or is it just that page?
Short answer: No. Long answer: Yes, but there's a theme running through MTMTE that after so many battles and so much death and destruction, the cast members are not fully able to adapt to peace-time lifestyles and each of them has neuroses come to the forefront as a coping mechanism. "Magnus" especially has been examined as someone who yearned to be, then became, this huge powerful hero and now he's just not entirely certain of much of anything following the purpose of being that hero.

So it's fun and silly but it has a meaning to the story. It's a comedic device used for dramatic effect.

Man I love MTMTE.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Who is actually confirmed as going to TFCon besides you and Rei?

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Forget the fandom, they are the best comics I've read in years, and the most insanely creative worldbuilding this side of Grant Morrison.
I would actually compare Roberts work to Hickman, who is probably regarded as Marvel's strongest writer at the moment. Only surprisingly warmer and less in love with robots, if that makes any sort of sense.

While being willing to murder them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can you demonstrate a point in the show you felt can be clearly attributed to being 'written by committee' or 'beholder to shareholders'?

Because I honestly end up feeling like its spasms of mediocrity come from the opposite end of the spectrum. For one thing it's a terrible vehicle for selling toys, especially when contrasted with the actual lines and assortments.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Calling someone a hacker or cheater in a pay 2 win game seems ... entirely in flavor with TFW's madness. Don't sweat it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

IT BEGINS

Enjoy the first days of your newfound plastic crack addiction.
Every new toy is a joy as you marvel at how far transformers have come, every ball joint and swivel a delightful little puzzle of its own!

A bit later you get to join the rest of us in pissing and moaning about how much we "hate" the things we, in fact, still purchase en masse.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veg posted:

Theres a Transformers New Zealand fanboard but they're really anal and keep banning me for no reason.
You don't really seem like the ban worthy type. How are you earning their ire?

Are they only of the strictest geewun?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

All I can say is that with next year being the 30th anniversary, the BotCon exclusives better be mindblowing.
Don't misconstrue. This is not optimism. This is the sound of Keldroc sharpening his knives.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's no reason to ever read Spotlight: Arcee*, but he is going to run into that show's version and it wasn't all that great either.

I still really like Arcee in prime, though I feel like they blew out the potential when she didn't start tutoring Smokescreen on being sweet. But I mean TFP's actual tagline is MISSED POTENTIAL so whatever.

* Seriously I'm trying to think of how any of it is relevant at all in the present IDW. All the threads are resolved and it actually confuses the portrayal of several cast members later in better books.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That episode of TFP was 14 minutes of disappointment coupled with probably the best fight in any Transformers media I can think of.

Blackheart posted:

Also deluxe Armada Starscream
Is that a repaint or a new mold? Because man I never watched Armada but I love that design/scheme.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Rage posted:

Goddamn I hope thats just for Prime:BH molds and doesn't bleed over into Generations.
Probably won't, but Generations probably takes a nap in 10 months anyway.

Also that's not CVC, that's CVL level. Ugh.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That Skids is a retool of Orion Pax, right? I can't figure out how it could just be a repaint, but it's close enough to look like a retool, kinda maybe.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Rage posted:

Turns out no, they don't combine. And all those articulationless lumps of poo poo? Still retailing for $12.99.
It is so jarring looking at amazingly detailed CVCs or deluxes like that Skids then looking at those deluxes.

Aren't those less detailed than Rescue Bots?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What do subscription figures have to do with Hasbro?

Ka0 posted:

I'm so happy they made a Cosmos, even if it's legends (which is almost redundant since they already made a legends Cosmos years ago). I hope he shows up on Kre O and at least deluxe.
The fact they come with another little dude makes me pretty sure those are in the overpriced two pack size class like the recent OP/Roller thing.

edit: Yeah if I'm not clear that's my point, Swerve looks like a decent scout, not a legends.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 30, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

I bought airfare and booked a room, yay. Spiderdrake will be relieved.
What, no, now I have to go for delicious boxesssssssss nooooo

Where did you book your stay? (This applies to Gammatron and anyone else going)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

So that black and silver truck that we thought was probably Motormaster? Yeah, probably Nemesis Prime, it turns out. Which I guess is obvious in hindsight.
It's funny how the Bay movies always seem to skirt away from the stuff in the fiction you'd imagine Bay would be huge on. Stunticons seem like something you could sell him on in an instant, but I guess not. The wreckers we got didn't really seem like what you'd imagine he'd want - but I guess ultra violent crack commandos are all but unnecessary anyway. Dinobots, etc.

I'm glad the thread doesn't have a bunch of the "nemesis prime is scourge" goofiness though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I often say that overexposure will ruin anything, and I think that's become the case with retro callbacks these days. Before, it was a rare surprised to get one, now it's par for the course.
The High Moon games, I think, were the breaking point for me. Way too many homages and callbacks and bizarre quotes that were just a chore to listen to. I really like subtle homages, like Prime Megatron's legs. Stuff like arguing over [element] [deli meat] in the middle of the Grimlock chapter just made me wish I was playing something else. The Beast Wars stuff showed up what, a season or two in, and it fit right into the narrative?

Animated at least brought us some new stuff. WFC/FOC gave us dark energon and the only thing anyone remembers is Metroplex Heeds The Call of the Last Prime. Why didn't they focus on more stuff like that, less reusing the door falling on a Quintesson joke in a scene it doesn't work in at all?

I need to replace a fan in my tower, its shuddering and now it appears Ripclaw is cold and shivering.

Keldroc posted:

I think Sandstorm pretty much destroys this idea and grinds it to powder. Nobody would call Sandstorm notable as a G1 character, but he made for a thoroughly kickass toy. As always, overexposure isn't the problem, lack of inspiration is. A fanservice callback is only as good as the idea behind it, and a lot of the callbacks these days are just Family Guy style "HEY REMEMBER THIS?" stuff.[/timg]
This sums up the stuff in High Moon / Prime really well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Worth pointing out that the RID ongoing has both Starscream and Bumblebee and is also good, for completely different reasons from MTMTE.
I totally disagree with him as to "why MTMTE is good" but calling RID Bumblebee is a) he's goldfire now, what's wrong your FACE shot and all b) something like a misnomer since a politically motivated, guilt-ridden and mature BB is more from the Dreamwave ideas than anything any motion version has been in years

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't know the guy who did that amazing spongebob flash was a SA goon, dang, good work new thread

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't think Transformers is going to die, but it is in a slight decline, at least from a purely financial standpoint. Profits peaked with the 2007 movie and ROTF
Peaked at ROTF. Here's the chart, in case you forgot
though this is the first time I have used this chart for good and not evil

According to Hasbro Prime year 2 (2013) is so far level with 2012 and not really in decline. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the Predacons Rising subline coincidences with the DTV movie of the same name that wraps up Prime. So that's a thing I suppose.

Have you watched any of season 3 yet Gamma?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GD_American posted:

Yeah. I think the story was actually pretty solid, the execution of it was just pretty off.
Do you mean the execution of the comics or the execution of not paying the people working on it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Why the sudden Huffer rush?
I feel like he's probably in that ever shrinking part of the venn diagram where "Popular G1 character" resides outside "Has a sweet CHUG toy" but I'd be the first to admit I don't have the lines memorized.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It was a public poll or you make the card robot style nonsense on facebook or something.

I like the design, but we probably won't see the two til when? And by then who knows what it'll look like.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh, and for some reason the plastic smells.
So between this and Rei's astoundingly horrifying image from here on in whenever someone runs up and down the thread bitching about how X line or Y figure had shoddy motel sheet thin plastic I'm going to be thinking to myself "Well it least it doesn't smell like downbreed Chell"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Knormal posted:

Oooh. I'm not a huge fan of the styling, but since Hasbro doesn't seem to have any intention of releasing an F-22 Starscream that doesn't turn into a throwing star for a robot mode, I'm sold. And it's iGear, so the quality should be good.
That looks based on the IDW Seeker design they used from like 7-20 or so of the ongoing.

I'm sold if they give us a couch potato Thundercracker, drat.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'll be there tomorrow. (I'll be out touring Toronto till 9ish though)
I might drag him into Toronto if I wake up on time, maybe we can meet up and discuss how all the comic stores are crap.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love TFCon but being deathly ill, not being able to breathe and vomiting everywhere is kind of hurting my experience. Jesus, why did I have to get con sickness before I even went to the con?

I'm sorry guys, I'm patient zero. :(

I feel really bad for the guys in my room who have to put up with me being a biohazard. :smith:

Aww hamster fears meeting you. Is anyone else here today? This lobby is scary.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Optimist Prime posted:

TFCon! TFCon was awesome and everyone on the east coast should go next year.
I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very down to earth, no con bullshit, just people happy with toys. I didn't see anyone give anyone a moment of grief or see any bullshit at all, lots of kids and mostly normal looking people. I really regret not meeting Gammatron or Rei but apparently Gamma was direly ill? I was assuming I'd meet Rei through him.

My only real disappointment with the con itself was Milne's selection of prints was pretty lacking in MTMTE fare. I wanted a First Aid or a Rewind+Chromedome print!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, good. Good. That's the correct response. That's something everyone should be saying.
I enjoyed a good twenty minute rant from hamster regarding how big a bag of donkeys botcon was. I think it's the only thing I really saw him complain about all weekend.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

Metroplex, Shark Megatron, Sandstorm, Legends Starscream/Waspinator, Big Dumb Optimus, oh my
The description for Shark Megatron on HTS is so great

quote:

The invincible Decepticon tyrant is repaired, refitted, and hungry for revenge on Sharkticon Megatron! To defeat an old enemy, this Sharkticon Megatron figure has awesome new weapons! Your Transformers adventures are going to be better than ever with this incredible Sharkticon Megatron figure. In robot mode, he's armed with a spiky sharktooth spear, and the blades snap out when he's ready to attack! He can launch a devastating attack from above in his new shark jet mode!
The guy who writes these has the best job in Hasbro. It doesn't even make sense, really, it sounds like the drunken ravings of a bewildered sea captain or something.

Also which one is big dumb optimus? The leaderesque horror show?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is in the list and being discussed?

Rhyno posted:

His inertial dampers were all hosed up from the battel, he thought that he was overloaded!
Maybe Starscream slipped him some energon on the sly, it's not like the other Decepticons were paying much attention

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Other posted:

It's based off of a Guido Guidi design used in the pre-All Hail Megatron IDW comics, like that recent Legends figure of him.
http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=42982
I think the head is just jacked up and not a reference
Head might be a reference to the Roche style Starscream face, ie the one Brawn punched in on the cover of ongoing #16

Also it's amazing how many good seeker designs IDW has thrown away to use something worse

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veg posted:

I will never undertand that opinion. Look at Springer, everyone said Hasbro would never top that poo poo 3rd party mold.
It's way easier on the heart to tell yourself "Hasbro can't do it!" than to face the reality of "Hasbro could give us all the glorious robots we need, but instead they're busy making robots based on this"

Look into his cold, dead eyes and realize he's probably getting a cvc, a deluxe, a voyager and six repaints!

A fate so horrible my grammar stops working

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 7, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

2 Nova Primes before a Rung is made. Tsk, it's a goddamn crime.
It's almost like 2007 and 2011 are four years apart!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On the topic of Blitzwing, the one hamster brought me magically had a clickable head, but the mechanism appears to have given out - It held up for a couple weeks so I imagine it wasn't just a fluke - has anyone disassembled him and figured out to restore its functionality? Robot to vehicle transformers are both hampered by the loose head getting in the way, and I still have yet to do the shoulder fix anyway

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't really hate Blitzwing and I don't have strong feelings towards him, but he suffers mostly for being designed as "a big voyager". If they gave up the stupid head, shaved him down heightwise a couple percent (or really just narrowed down the nose cone a little) and shifted that plastic into finishing his vehicle modes he'd be so much better. His colors are good and his sculpt are good though, so he looks fine from a couple angles.

He's no Springer, but he's a decent attempt hurt by the desire to make him too big or rather as big as he should be given modern constraints.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

I'm surprised Sandstorm was apparently designed first, because he definitely doesn't seem like the more concise use of the mold.
I don't know, I find what Roche said not very direct and the Sandstorm he drew is way further than LSOTW Springer is from his toy. Seriously, look at this and say "yeah they just slapped this toy out of it"

It's not even a silhouette thing, he has little details on his legs that match up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RID has been better than MTMTE some months here or there and they've both turned into surprisingly daring books. MTMTE has kinda grated on me the last couple months (and I'll spoil since people aren't up to date) A) Overlord is aggressively boring and B) Roberts is playing the long game and adding mysteries on top of mysteries while resolving stuff from more than a year back, which is good but frustratingly slow. All those hints in LSTOW about Tyrest are finally coming to a head and ARRRRGGHHH while RID has been really solid, I was pleased with the last arc's resolution and I can forgive the needless "write in this fan favorite only to write them out of character because eh".

Also I think solicits said the two books are going to run back together for Dark Cybertron, right?

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 15, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're talking about Star Sabre, did he really even have a distinct character?
Oh no, the Star Sabre/Magnus reveal is loving awesome I mean Skybyte and Rattrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

And for the record, while I love MTMTE, I don't care for the new Star Saber, either. Sure, in the anime he had like, zero personality, but having him go from Mr. Goody Two-shoes to genocidal religious maniac is quite a 180. Star Saber is a cool design and I wish he could be a good guy. :(
That's past tense though, we actually don't know quite what the current version is like. Or whether or not the current version will remain as is. Unless I'm misreading it Tyrest is implying the original Star Sabre is long dead, as the Ultra Magnus is, and this new one is encased in armor. Much like Magnus, a new Star Sabre is possible.

That's why I find it such a cool twist and nice work on Roberts' part. He doesn't come out and say, Tyrest is like this, he explains the villain by explaining his current and past obsessions. I mean it's just a matter of layering but it feels better to put it together in your head.

And yeah it's a cool design. I actually bought that print. So colorful!