Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Prime mold is being reused, but as Motormaster.

I think the upcoming Magnus will be a new mold, considering it's supposed to be in the Leader sizeclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

catch22 posted:

RID Grimlock is really good. Outside of the MP I can't think of another Grimlock this good other than maybe Animated. If a Voyager size version comes out it's gonna be an instant buy.

It's movieverse but I think Voyager Grimlock is a solid T-rex.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know "Transformers Armada" isn't the most popular series, but I went back and noticed this wasn't commented upon so I wanted to at least share it.

http://karyuudofansubs.blogspot.com/2014/12/transformers-legends-of-microns.html

"Micron Legend" has been subbed finally, after 12 years. I imagine it won't drastically change most people's opinions, but... well, Armada wasn't my first series, but when I was a kid, for better or worse, it was what led me to come back and stay a Transfan. Call it what you will, but it's important to me.

And now there's a version that's translated competently without the american version's hackneyed or incoherent dialogue or unfinished animation. They also did an alternate sub track with some of the English names (ala "Optimus Prime" rather than "Convoy"), and resynced the dub audio to the Japanese footage. So there's multiple ways to watch it if you care about that sort of thing.

so. yeah.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, TFW. They're always the most reactionary part of the fandom, to be honest. Especially in their capacity to pump up unlicensed products and assail official ones.

I recall when they released that third party Omega Supreme a while back, and he came out with a "face glass" that was entirely opaque. In short order, the people making it (Planet X I believe) revealed an add-on that not only had a transparent mask, but a sculpted head underneath. The time between the release of the main toy and the add on was so narrow, I pointed out that this was especially moneygrubbing, that they intended for people to buy the main figure and then the add on both.

Everyone got really angry at that, and the idea that a third party company wasn't purely "doing it for the fans".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

No it's another Voyager Hotspot. The figure is in reference to the Japanese G1 Guard City set.

The mold itself is not a repaint of the Grapple mold and uses parts from both Grapple and Inferno. So that makes this Hotspot unique rather than just a simple head retool like the last one.

They're seriously the weirdest/random set of repaints I can remember outside of Machine Wars.

someone forgot about Universe 1.0 and its host of BW, BM, UT and even G1 repaints.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Has anyone gotten any RID toys? I got some as I was heading home from the doctor today and I opened Strongarm and Grimlock in the car.

Those two at least are just... really solid. Everything pegs and lines up great, Grimlock especially. Strongarm also has a lot of heft to her, and even if their transformations are simple they're not so watered down to be completely boring. It reminds me of Cybertron-era toys, to be honest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so. um. there's a new Decepticon that got revealed for the RID cartoon.

He's Chop Shop.

He's freaking terrifying.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, why do One Step Transformers get such a bad rap? I bought Underbite because it looks like he won't be getting a bigger toy, and he's incredibly fun to mess with.

These are great for younger kids.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Considering how many Generations we've gotten over the last year, I don't think that's really a valid concern.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying. Something like Combiner Wars is a big push, especially when there's no show or movie to promote it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Shelfwarming" is rarely a reliable metric only when it causes a particular figure to be stuck on shelves with excessive frequency, ala the various Mudflaps.

But as far as personal anecdotes, I've seen Generations toys linger just as often in my neck of the woods. So. Le shrug.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

Walky did not invent the jaaam comic, though he might have helped spread it. The guy who did used to post here.

I know this is going to get me mocked, but the JaAm comic is rather offensive to disabled people.

Just. Putting that out there.

(for the record, I -am- disabled myself)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh, he's not supposed to look like RiD Scourge. He's supposed to look like this guy.

It's based on the fact that CW Optimus has a lot of updated details from Energon Optimus.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I am at the point where reading MTMTE is upsetting me on a monthly basis.

Getaway and Tailgate's whole business reminding me way too much of an unpleasant experience in college is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think I'm dropping the book.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

as cool as getting knockout would be, if they go to Velocitron and we see HIM and not Override, I will be highly annoyed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Groove is much less interesting to me than this:

My favorite Megatron in more faithful colors AND Scourge, who I never had a chance to get through the TFSS? Sign me up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fact: Saberhorn is the best TF character introduced in years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

just.

I dunno who came up with evil robot rhinoceros beetle errol flynn with a lethal pompador, but they deserve a drat medal

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

remember when everyone said the point of third party toys was that Hasbro would never do these things themselves, not in a million years?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The DJD are awful characters, so I'm pretty okay with never getting toys of them.

Their concept was more entertaining when they were a blue condor and a panther and their name was the Cobalt Sentries.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just trying to think of how much creepier things would have been if Roberts had used the cobalt sentries instead of the sledgehammer brutality of the DJD. There's a lot to play with there; the abuse and control of information, using Garboil and Howlback's respective abilities, the fact that they're ANIMALS has horror potential.

But that's an issue I have with Roberts' attempts at horror in general. It's always loud angry freaks and ludicrous gibs. Sunder ended up more laughable than terrifying, like a dime store Carnage. The "empurata" concept is scary enough, but... I dunno. I'd much rather have the non-humanoid Transformers be nonhumanoid because that's the way they are.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not saying that it isn't creepy. Compared to all the other ludicrous stuff Roberts tries to pass off as scary, it is.

But I'd sacrifice how creepy it is for Shockwave and Whirl to just go back to being an example of how diverse Transformers could be if I could because I think that adds more to the TF mythos in the end.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Preview for MtMtE 51 is out, but it's on iTunes so therefore staggeringly impossible to read. A few things to note: the DJD have the ability to block or slowdown communication signals, hence why the signal from the start of 50 took three weeks to arrive; Swerve does metallurgy; Magnus swears (sort of) and it looks like we might get some sort of insight into how Megatron shaped the DJD

On second thoughts, people are ripping the images to make them readable

Why is a Lugnut a part of a group trying to kill Megatron?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying they should be a bit more careful about where they place these extras.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd argue Lugnut always seemed to be more about Megatron himself than the Decepticon ideal, but fair enough.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That struck me as odd too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And then future covers keep referencing it like it's their joke.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thrust has always been the superior conehead.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The newest episode of RID gives us a transforming robot Dr. Zaius who shoots out more tiny transforming monkeys.

RID is the best Transformers show ever made.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

personally, I think MTMTE completely loses itself after Remain in Light, but to each his own.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Keldroc posted:

Dark Cybertron derails things a bit, but the time travel story is great.

I enjoyed Dark Cybertron a lot more than season 2, to be honest. I kind of treat it like its own story than part of both main books.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Scavengers completely lost me during the controversy over Roberts' treatment of Grimlock. In the interest of not opening a can of worms, I'll leave it at that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generally these days, they try to keep the names separate. Like, Shockblast used to be their second choice when they couldn't get the trademark to Shockwave back, but now they're pretty adamant that Shockwave is a Transformer and Shockwave is a G.I. Joe.

In the past, there used to be a lot of crossover. For Roadblock, he's been no less than three different characters - a Pretender in G1, an Autoroller in G2, and Inferno's upgraded form in Energon. But they don't do that anymore. The shift in focus happened right along the time Hasbro tried to rebrand themselves as a source of unique intellectual property and entetainment rather than simply as a toy company who sometimes licenses cartoons. That meant Transformers had to stand apart from G.I. Joe and vice versa.

Funny how that worked out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and the Hall of Fame leaves me cold for another year.

seriously, how does a guy who barely even know his song was gonna be IN the movie (or that the movie even existed) get on the ballot over the people who composed the original hugging Transformers theme?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I presume fire truck Inferno.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh..? He scored four TF movies. Say what you will about the movies but that's not an insignificant effort.

If the category were for voice actors, Weird Al might be deserving, but this is about the music.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The custom class figure(s) for 2016 are... four Ratchets and a Medix:

http://www.allspark.com/2016/04/allspark-gallery-of-botcon-2016-custom-class-figure-ratchetmedix/
http://www.allspark.com/2016/04/botcon-2016-custom-class-figure-ratchetmedix/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Well yet again a good and reasonably priced Ratchet is proven to be an unattainable dream.

The guy's a marquee character. There'll be a new toy of him before long.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Prime and Animated Ratchet had some pretty good toys.

Movie Ratchet's were usually pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so anyway those exclusives are pretty neat.