Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Devastator's arms are Deluxes, his legs are Voyagers, and his torso is notably absent. Interesting.
I really hope Devastator's not different size classes because the figures are all deluxes, but some come with combiner kibble. Titan Devastator was so close to being kibbless, I'm hoping they can refine that design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

If Red Alert doesn't have a janky voice chip, he's not Red-uh Lert. And who the heck is Flatline? Good name.
Excuse me, I think you mean "Red-uh Lert Woo-woo-woo".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

I paid AmiAmi for mine last night, hopefully I should have it next week

Mine through Amazon Japan billed and shipped too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My Missing Link Convoy showed up from Amazon Japan. I got the toy version from them, though I ended up also ordering the toon version from BBTS because I'm indecisive. Initial thoughts and observations:

• Transforming him feels weird because I have like 40 years of instinct telling me not the pull the arms/legs that way because they'll break. His headlights look so weird too without a hole in them.
  • He comes with a sticker sheet, even though all the "stickers" are tampoed on the figure itself, except for the forearm ones, which are actually molded. In the trailer only the big stickers on what becomes the floor when opened are tampoed. The wall screens and "GO!" are still stickers if you want to add them.
  • Roller's wheels and the trailer's missiles actually come on sprues just like in G1. The missiles do shoot (extremely weakly), but weirdly the Roller launching mechanism is removed. I'm guessing this is because the whole little robot module can also be removed from the trailer and drive around and they couldn't fit both the launching mechanism and wheels in the base. I still wish they had at least left the holes in the base for Roller's exhaust pipe, so you could kind of dock him in rather than leave him just completely loose in there.
  • They added a port in the trailer to store the gun, but the trailer can't close with it in there because it hits the robot arm guy if he's folded up the normal way. But if you extend him you can close the trailer with the gun in there, and he also helps hold Roller in place that way.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Takara version is listed on Pulse, usually when they do that that means there's not going to be a traditional domestic release. If you want to make sure you get one I wouldn't wait.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Last Call posted:

Soundwave let Starscream toss out Megatron in the movie into the void to die. And then tried to be leader, so he's not as loyal as they come. Only mostly.

For those who wanted a Galvatron that made himself into a Unicron like chunker:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/269908?o=1

I still can't believe that was a thing.
I didn't realize that was a separate figure that actually transforms, I thought it was just an orb you could pull the limbs off the other Galvatron and attach. I don't normally go for season 3 figures but that's so wonderfully stupid I might have to get it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apparently that Starscream just showed up at a store in Chile without ever being officially revealed.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2024/03/06/legacy-united-voyager-cybertron-starscream-new-images-505221

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TF Con LA's third-party slides: https://news.tfw2005.com/2024/03/09/tfcon-los-angeles-2024-3rd-party-panel-slides-in-full-505749

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

MMC All Built In Devastator looks loving incredible.
The all-built-in combiners are really all I'm interested in with the third-party scene anymore. Otherwise everyone's just doing their own versions of toon-based Masterpiece figures that have existed for years, or over-stylized characters that don't appeal to me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh my god, I found a Snarl!

In a store!

...He kind of sucks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Please no one make fun of Starscream's small Cyber Key, he's very sensitive about it.

Xenomrph posted:

Also Origins Wheeljack went up on Pulse and instantly sold out, womp womp. :negative:
You'll probably have better luck ordering it from Target, they're probably the best of the surviving brick-and-mortars when it comes to exclusives actually being available to buy. It's sold out now, but is more likely to come back there than Pulse.
https://www.target.com/p/transformers-origin-wheeljack-legacy-united-voyager-class-action-figure-target-exclusive/-/A-89230403#lnk=sametab
Unless you're outside of the US, I guess, in which case, womp womp indeed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I still hope we get a Commander class PM Prime at some point, the MP figures tend to not be that enjoyable to fiddle with and PM Prime and all his accessories are made for that. Although I haven't bought an official MP in years since they switched to the toon styling.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Just include this as an accessory.

Problem solved.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Last Call posted:

It is awful.

There is no denying it.

The secret gun mode is also awful.

The robot mode is what you buy this Megatron mode for really but there is no escaping how horrid the alt modes are.
Enh, better than

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are those hollow inner thighs? On a Masterpiece figure?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

No. It's CG rendered chrome reflecting weirdly on an upscaled image. You can see a screwhole in the "hollow" part to confirm that it's not hollow.
Ah, you're right. Phew.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It was a Wheelkjack day for me, I got Origins and Studio Series VW Van Wheeljack.

In hand I have to say I don't really mind Origins Wheeljack being a voyager. Yeah he's small but this is a dense boy, because of all the collapsing panels. It feels like they brought some of the Japanese Beast Wars designers out of retirement with how much of a panelformer he is, but there's really no other way they could have done the van mode while keeping the holding Bumblebee "play feature". That said, what a worthless play feature.

Studio Series Wheeljack is like the polar opposite. Man that's a tiny tiny van. I feel like his vehicle mode is about the same size as Earthrise Bumblebee's bug mode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hey I saw a Snarl once.

Anyway Soundwave's also in that Takara premium 3-pack.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/256403?o=4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Theres a supposed leak of the transformers one optimus as a popcorn bucket and he has a massive chest

Optimus "Big Naturals" Prime

I mean it's a popcorn bucket first and foremost so I doubt the proportions are very applicable to the actual design.

The way it looks like it has actual wheels makes me wonder if it transforms.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Man, toy photographers love their crotch thrusts.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big titty Transformers One Optimus.

I like the look, but the vehicle mode might be new levels of laziness when it comes to hiding the hands.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The trailer seems fine, it looks to me like they hit that sweet spot between kid and adult audiences pretty well. I saw a lot of comparisons online between it and the last TMNT movie, which seems about right. Plotwise it seems like a lot of hodge podge of various pre-war elements from prior media without really adding anything new, but we'll see.

I am a little weirded out by Alpha Trion apparently being a unicorn wolf, maybe lion, thing, but then there were some shots of some cyber-gazelles or something so they're clearly going for the version of Cybertron where it's more of a full-fledged robot ecosystem and not just full of Quintesson-made workers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Eh, robots in disguise kind of went out the window in 1986 when everything was neon and futuristic.
And it sucked then too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Marmaduke! posted:

Has skullcrotch always been a thing with Straxus? Looks like Death's Head...
It looks like he looted Skullgrin.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MIssing Link Bumblebee looks cool, but man he's going to be tiny. I know this kind of misses the point of Missing Link, but I wish they'd articulated the Pretender Bumblebee mold.

What on earth is going on with the head in profile in the bottom left square? The faceplate and brow are almost bumping into each other.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My biggest question is if it's possible to slide one of the other MP Optimi into the trailer body. I assume no, but it would be really cool if you could use the trailer with a better MP Optimus, even if it didn't latch in securely.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

Impossible. Not only would the other MP Primes not have the engineering to fit into the cavity, MP Ginrai is clearly smaller than them.

Ah, I didn't realize Ginrai was that much smaller than MP10. Well that's out.

The only "engineering" I hoped the Optimus would need would be to turn the waist around backwards before turning it into truck mode so the knees can fold the rest of the legs up behind the cab. Most Optimuses let you do this, then I just hoped the cavity would be big enough to let it sit in there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Did it come with the original hands and what can only loosely be called "feet"? Weird feel is still an upgrade.

Is that a completely third-party Swindle?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

The Energon combiner hands didn’t bother me at all. There’s no reason a combiner should have normal hands; making them all weapons is the way to go.

It’s not like the drat things will need to sit at a computer and code C++ or something
I agree and didn't mind them as hands. It was as feet where I felt they were really lacking.

The Combiner Wars handfeet also had their share of issues, but I thought they were a much better compromise for needing to pull double-duty.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I like the G1-accurate approach of just having all the dead season 1/2 characters back, no explanation. Very Sunbow.

I also really like their Optimus, I think he sounds more like G1 Optimus than Peter Cullen does nowadays, though whether that's because Peter's older now or just because directors keep having him play grumpy stern Optimus I can't say.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm surprised they kept the toy head. And it's not even just that they straight re-used the G1 toy head, it's subtly different. They designed a new head with the same look.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

G1 had too drat many teams of weird monstor robots, it took me long enough to figure out that it wasn't the monsterbots.

Huh, and I guess Generations never gave monstructor a proper new release despite his prominence in the comic. I guess they never did have the courage to try pretenders in earnest.
The core Dinobots were obvious pretools of the Monstorcons if you look at the alt mode side by side, he's coming.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Starting to feel kinda cynical about the trend of extreme "full partial" retools in Transformers, like ROTB Optimus and United Cybertron Starscream. It feels like I'm paying full Voyager prices for a toy without full Voyager production value.

When you get a redeco like Twincast or a moderate retool like Metalhawk, sure, you aren't getting a brand new figure, and they didn't spend as much money on development. But the toy you DO get still has the full material budget of partscount and color separation and stuff. So you don't feel as bad about not getting something brand new in that slot for the wave.

But a toy like ROTB Optimus or LegUni Starscream sacrifices having full Voyager partscounts and sprue color variety in order to cram a "new" toy into the budget for a partial retool. It's cool conceptually but the toys pretty reliably come out feeling half-baked.
I agree Cybertron Starscream isn't very good, his robot mode is solid but nothing quite lines up right in plane mode. But I didn't clock him as a retool. From TF Wiki,

quote:

Part of the second wave of Legacy United Voyager Class toys, "Cybertron Universe Starscream" is an updated version of his appearance from the Cybertron cartoon, featuring greater range of articulation and a deco based on his show model. He transforms into a cartoon-accurate jet in 26 steps. His butterfly joints, inner shoulders, biceps, and wrists are reused from Siege Starscream.[1]
I'm not sure that counts as a retool as much as shared engineering in the CAD file. Everything else in the figure seems totally new?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well at least "pooping" is a novel pose for a promo shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Red Rox posted:

So I was thinking of buying a Metroplex as a display base for my small collection of core class dudes.

So are my only options the original 80s version or the version from 2014 which seems to be stupid expensive?
There's actually a new G1 Metroplex knockoff that just dropped. Reviews are kind of mid, apparently quality is so-so and it's grey instead of off-white, but for just a base it'd probably do what you need. But be aware that G1 Metroplex is pretty small, his base mode is going to get covered in core class figures very quickly.

Also there's rumors that next year's titan is going to be a new version of Metroplex, but nothing concrete.

I have no idea if this is a reliable seller or not, this is just an example of what you'd be looking for.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806587768319.html