Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Goldskull posted:

I'd loving love to know what happened to all the original G1 toys we had, given my Dad never throws anything away ever. Multiple loft/garage searches reveal nothing though, so he either doesn't remember car booting them, or giving them to my younger cousins. Cheers Dad, that only cost me hundreds getting that stuff back from eBay.

Hey same age buddy. I wish I could go back in time and punch myself for selling a bunch of my G1s including Megatron and Prime (along with my Star Wars toys) so I could buy Chromedome the Headmaster. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Masterpiece Sunstorm up on Toys R Us

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ka0 posted:

That comic haunted me as a kid. Scrounge nooooo...

Seriously, that comic destroyed me when I was a kid. It was the most adult thing if seen in a funnybook.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The best part is that the original Transformers series was meant to be a 4 issue mini-series, so the mini-series technically ended with Shockwave killing all the autobots.

The thing I loved about the comics more than the cartoon is (aside from darker subject matter) is that it focused on random characters as leads. Ratchet was one of the primary characters early on, later on Blaster became the heroic point character. Grimlock took over as leader (was in fact nominated as leader), and it wasn't typical "ME GRIMLOCK" - he had a level of intelligence, but his biggest downfall ws his arrogance.

For villains - they had freaking Ratbat as the main villain for a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the reading order on the Humble Bundle comics? It's 4 series, Robots in Disguise, More Than Meets the Eye, Days of Deception, Dark Cybertron.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

No, it's actually two series with terrible confusing labeling. You basically read MTMTE and RID by themselves (they don't overlap for quite a while) until you get to Dark Cybertron, which tells you at the end of each issue what to read next. Then it goes back to MTMTE and RID independent of each other.

"Days of Deception" is not a different series, rather for some reason they put the arc name at the back to confuse you. It is still numbered to go with RID , RID just had its name changed. I think RID "ends" at 34 and "The Transformers" starts at 35.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

As someone who hasn't bought Transformers since the days of "go to Toys R Us and hope the commemorative edition one you want is there", what's going to be the best route to get a Devastator?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love Shuttle Blast Off, but Jet Blast Off really makes more sense with the Combaticon theme.

Yeah this always used to make me laugh. "Brawl, direct frontal assault on the enemy. Swindle, you sneak off to the side while Vortex creates a distraction above the enemy. Blast Off...uhh...go, uhhh, shoot down a satellite?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Please do not shame DrWhat's package.

I'm jealous of that package, I wish I had it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just sitting back all :smug: at you guys talking about your Transformers investments. Who needs a 401k when I've got a giant box of unopened Star Wars: Power of the Force figures from the 90s sitting in my basement, just waiting to be cashed in on. I've even got FOUR Slave Leias!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I want to pull my transformers from their storage crate in the dungeon of my basement now that I'm aiming to get Devastator so I can guarantee no girl will touch me if she visits the house, anyone got any recommendations for budget display racks?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looks much better than mine, where a fart from across the room will disassemble him

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I opened my big bin of loose Transformers that has sat awaiting the return of my inner man-child for a couple years and forgot I have a giant bag of miscellaneous guns/combiner parts that I bought on eBay about 10 years ago. Is there an extensive guide out there to help me identify by picture what part goes to what bot?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheDK posted:

Because try explaining the difference between a GoBot and a Transformer to my mom in the 80s.

"This one is a helicopter that turns into a robot."
"OK, that is a transformer?"
"No, this is a GoBot. This one is a plane that turns into a robot."
"Oh! A GoBoT!"
"No, this is a transformer."
"OK, so do you want Christmas presents this year or no?"

And that's why I looked forward to the Sears catalog for Christmas every year so I could circle the Transformers I wanted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sockser posted:

I'd been looking for a comparison photo of the two. Thanks!

Bah can't get it to show on phone.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 6, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Just a heads-up:

Scrapper's cab spins around to lock his legs in place for combined mode, and his arm-heels rotate at the bicep for a better position where you can flip his hands all the way out as an extended heel!

Also, Mixmaster's elbows are meant to be bent 90 degrees for leg mode, facilitating an ankle tilt, and if you didn't already discover it there's a flip-out heel in MM's chest!

Nice! I haven't touched him much since initial setup.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sockser posted:

Phantasy Star IV retailed for an absurd $90-100 which shakes out to like $150 2015 dollars.

Crazy.

Made even funnier by how late it came out. I remember getting the call from Electronics Boutique that my reserved copy was in and I said "Uhhh wow. No, I sold my Genesis 2 years ago."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You have pubs that sell Transformers???? What Nirvana be that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

No, they have things mailed to the pub as a PO box because the pub stays open and can take big packages indoors safely during the day.

Whew for a second I thought Narnia existed

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Maybe there will be a revival of Beast Transformers after Titan Wars and the Beast Combiners will be included with that down the line.

I still have the combiner from Beast Wars. My first overly complex Transformer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Going through old Transformers, I can not for the life of me remember who this is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

armada cyclonus

...why do I even own this then? :) Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man, Devastator is the most poseable guy. I accidentally knocked him off the shelf and his natural "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" pose that appeared is just perfect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Asphyxious posted:

Gettin' real tired of your poo poo..

Isn't that Spongebobs neighbor?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheDK posted:

Hey gang that "You are being deceived" shirt is :10bux: on this site today:
http://www.shirtpunch.com/decepticon-graffiti.html

Get it so we can all wear it at the next 'con!

e: also this may be relevant to your interests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7gm-aQ

"I have three: One to display, one to keep in the box and one just in case."

Dammit that hits way too close to home. I think of my box of Star Wars figures from the re-releases int he 90s, all lonely in the basement. But I found *4* Slave Leias and my roomate could only find 1!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure you understand what I mean. I understand and am fully at peace with the notion that Cullen won't be Optimus forever.

I just don't want all future Optimus performances to be totally defined by his, especially not his performances post-2007.

I want an Optimus who can express things other than "Angry" and "Aloof Dad".

Don't worry, we can just copy Cullen to a 5 1/4" floppy disk and save his voice and personality!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I like it. Lots of accessories, great transformation, good looking boy mode, zero kibble, good articulation.

True articulation test - get a picture of him pleading with Megatron to spare him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Unknownone posted:

Goddamit.

Mindwipe is the only G1 I have 100% including box (but not poly insert). Special place in my heart right here.

Whereas Chromedome has a special place of hatred in my heart because he represents one of my worst decisions as a child. We had a garage sale and I sold my Darth Vader case filled with Star Wars figures for $20, and used that $20 to buy Chromedome. Also sold a bunch of my G1 Transformers at that garage sale for terrifyingly low amounts. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Blaargh posted:

Your wish is my command!

Can you guess why the bike was really cheap?

VVVVV Edit: I do go outside, my knees can't take a lot of impact so I do this instead of running.

Well now we need video of you riding the pink bike.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No dry ice added to end of barrel for effect, -10 points.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Toys R Us has a promo code FRIEND20 to get 20% off a bunch of stuff right now, including Transformers. Online the selection is weak but might worth a trip in to see if there is any gems there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I never really got into the Headmasters, the G1 comic storyline was pretty cool but the toys never really grabbed me. I always laughed at the fact that the "human" heads were bending into positions that would crack their spines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The G1 comics did a great job of making characters from the cartoon into more prominent roles. Ratchet was the first real "hero" of the books, Shockwave was genuinely terrifying, Blaster was a reluctant leader rather than a hip DJ. They even made Grimlock into less of a caricature of the stupid brute.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anora posted:

I just stumbled upon this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9BiyOeglGg

All/most of the G1 TF toy commercials. They're all kind of terrible, but my god sometimes there is a golden moment. At 15 minutes in Hot Rod and Kup are on the Quintesson planet, and the Narrator says, "What could be more terrifing then Kup and Hot Rod stuck on a planet battling the merciless Sharkticons?"

Without missing a beat Wheelie shows up in the next shot.

The Transformation for Omega Supreme is amazing in his commercial.

I love the commercials for the miscellaneous Transformers junk, like the big wheel that transfroms into a "robot" (A big wheel with a face).

Also love the first commercial for Astrotrain. Autobots fighting him and fortunately there happens to be a set of train tracks in the desert for him to make his getaway!

Edit - Also love that it's commercial for new unstoppable force by Decepticons or Autobots followed by the new toy to counter that new unstoppable force, followed by the new toy to combat that force!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Got it a couple of weeks ago. I'll have my revenge though, gonna leave negative feedback on the eBay seller's account!

I was so afraid I'd get negative feedback when I sold the exclusive Mortal Kombat 9 Sub-Zero pre-order DLC skin for $80 and they released a pack with all of the different skins for $5 a few weeks later.

I also felt a twinge of guilt. Just a tiny one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone is in their area, Meijer has Transformers for 25% off right now. I got Chromedome and Weirdwolf for $11.50 each, and there were a few still on pegs. Rochester Hills, Michigan to be exact.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No idea if this is a legit site or not but saw it on Slickdeals - Fortress Maximus for $90 -

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HSB6118#.WDfBWLIrKUl

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I didn't see it posted but if you've got an Ollie's clearance by you, go check it out... They have Fortress Maximus for $39.99

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well there's still 3 left at the one in Waterford, Michigan. Would have grabbed more but already felt like "that guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

LoL, I don't want to get stabbed. There's a TF scalper who will do more than ram me with a shopping cart if he catches me ahead of him. He got arrested for attacking a dude at Ollie's over the Arcee wave closeout.

I dunno, this just doesn't seem THAT scalpable. Sure it's $40 vs $150, but they weren't selling at $150. So what's going to be the median price? $100? I guess that's $60 profit. Thank you I just answered my own question.