Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Sandstorm holds together better, but Springer's car mode is a slicker beast. Frankly I am surprised because I thought Sandstorm's improvements were indicative of a refinement of the mold.

Is there any reason to think that they didn't split the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I will never accept city commander as my classics Ultra Magnus. I think it's a sub-par sculpt.

I could get over my other issues with it if the face sculpt wasn't so bad (see also: Warbot Defender).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Goldskull posted:

And so the Blitzwing problems continue. He's lost a ton of paint from the top/front of his helmet, and I've had him in Jet mode twice. I may even buy the Dr Wu replacement set if it's cheap enough, but I shouldn't be doing this on a loving £33 figure. His shoulders I can live with, they don't seem that important in hindsight.

Me too. I'm taking the plunge of the Takara version, and I'll report back if it's just as problematic. I'm hoping, at the very least, the paints and plastic colors will match better.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

And now Swerve has a voice in my head.

Basically the voice I already had in my head but at 80% speed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I have just as many issues with Springer as I do with Blitzwing. I have no idea why Springer gets a free pass from people, probably because he was a more anticipated character.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

He's not wrong

He's wrong that it's objectively bad or something. Different transformation engineering cheats but different people. Some people hate "fake" chests/wheels/etc., whereas I can't imagine having a problem with G2 Laser Prime. Most TFs cheat like crazy in some way or another.

Back onto this specific topic, I think the RTS Jazz mold is fundamentally worse than Blitzwing because at least there's a couple proven fixes for the way Blitzwing punishes you for moving his arms. I have watched so many videos and read so many reviews trying to find the trick to getting Jazz or Wheelie's chest to stay in place and nnnnope. Not even an elaborate mod or 3P kit to safe that otherwise perfect mold.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

That's kind of my point though, and "cheat" was probably the wrong word to use. One man's "jet mode hole" is another man's "exposed fists in jet mode" is another man's "ugly panel lines" is another man's "exposed hollow limbs". Yet it'd be nuts to call Classics Jetfire, Universe Onslaught, or Classics Mirage bad transformers.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

1. Get a loving grip.

2. If having serious problems with a toy that will, with 100% absolute certainty, come out of the box in need of a user-performed fix or add-on to function properly qualifies as "being a stickler," then okay, I guess I'll have to accept that scarlet letter.

You're right that it's a subpar toy, and for a lot of reasons. The paint on the head coming off, the way the nosecone wont really stay in place in plane mode, the way the paint doesn't match the plastic, and the overall cheapness of the plastic compared to even 5 years ago. So focusing on the hole in plane mode (which I didn't even understand at first because I always keep the cannon over it) is burying the lead.

And you can't really be hurt when someone accuses you of coming off as arrogant, right? I mean you're a smart guy, you have to know that's your tone.

edit: and I have two RTS Jazzes and a Wheelie and all of them have the chest issue. I believe you that yours works but man I hope I get to at least hold one that works right someday, just to know in my heart that it really is the mold and not me being terrible at transformers.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

abrosheen posted:

the Headrobots upgrade kit for ROTF Mindwipe (which, at this point, I'm assuming will never be released)

Don't worry I think it's coming out around the same time as Fansproject Mindwipe

*makes a jerking off motion that ends with flinging semen off into the sky*

(3rd parties are the alcoholic dad of the fandom)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Peter Bazooka posted:

What no silhouettes or out of focus shots? It's like these guys don't even know how to 3rd party.

It's not like they're available for sale or anything, don't worry.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Don't think about how much you make per hour versus how much the toy costs. Don't think about the other things you can be doing with your time. Don't factor the cost of gas into the price. Keep ignoring that ebaying it actually makes a lot more sense.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Great, super, anything to occupy your time instead of making a Trypticon I guess, third parties.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

For some, the hunt counts. I bought mine off the website, so I'm just passing on what has worked for other people.

Yeah I was mostly just being sassy. I like the hunt some of the time, but when the odds are so incredibly stacked against me I don't find it extra thrilling, I just get irritated.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes I fantasize about mostly faithful live-action adaptations of Gundam 0079, Macross and Evangelion but that'll never happen. Pacific Rim was the closest I'll ever get, and I really, really hope it's not the last time I see the genre represented on the big screen.

In an age where CGI has rendered high-quality models and stop-motion obsolete, even a "live action" adaptation will just be a high-quality cartoon anyway. It's part of the reason the TF movies look like garbage.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, my Hoist's gun assembly is round the wrong way. How hard to get out are pins?

A lot less hard than it sounds, but get a practice-bot, a pin punch (or a small screwdriver if you're mega lazy), a hammer, and just a little practice first. Then you check both ends of the pin, and start hammering it out from the smoother side (the rougher end has all the friction bits that keep it in place). The hardest part is holding a bot firmly in place, properly positioning the pin punch, and then accurately swinging a hammer at these other two things. I suggest getting someone you trust to help you.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I love Beast Wars Neo toys and have most of them, but their transformations have the weirdest "feel" out of any line. I would love to give everyone in this thread a Bazooka and see what they think. Then Break.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Oh good, they can make those instead of making classic dinobots, hooray. Hasbro is really skilled at making stuff instead of classic dinobots, but these are dinobots, so it'll be real nailbiter.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Man I am already bored by this movie. At least the title doesn't sound like someone trying to talk while having a stroke (for the first time since 2007).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno how you look at this and tell me it looks terrible.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to TFs this month, so I've only heard the dull roar of people complaining about Diesel but I didn't plan on buying any of that team anyway. So I was reading this page, just skimming more bickering about it, and then I got to these pictures. I have absolutely no horse in this race (and never planned to, I'm fairly indifferent to most of the stunticons), so as a relatively impartial observer I gotta tell you that yeah that thing's pretty hosed up. Maybe if all of them looked like robots wearing an entire trailer on their back and shoulders it would kind of gel, but he looks more like he wandered in from another franchise than all his teammates.

I'm pretty used to Fansproject's B- work at A+ prices, but even by their standards...bleh. I wish that instead of developing 10 toys, then delivering 4 that are kind of half-assed, they could just take it to the finish line and give Ultra Magnus a decent face, avoid ridiculous kibble issues, and meet release dates consistently.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

While we're on the subject of the Stunticons, I decided to pick up Down Force \ Drag Strip and noticed that his winshield is severely cracked, almost to the point of breaking off. Oh noooooooooooooo. :(

I haven't touched him since I transformed him a few times since he came out and I don't remember breaking him, and you'd think I would. Ohhhhhhhhh drat it.

I got him right before TFCon so it's probably too late to return him to BBTS and I don't even know if he's defective or if it's my fault.

I realize it's not much consolation but if you want to sell him cheap I'd be down. It's the only one of the group I really like.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'll see if I can't get him swapped out. If not, I might take you up on that.

Good luck and godspeed. It's not like I need to spend any more money, but I am a sucker for robots with crazy-color faces (shout out to my bro cindersaur) and I feel for you.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheDK posted:

Here is a link:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19038126

As of this posting, the "Ship to Home" option is available.

I...ordered one? That can't be right. How soon until I get my cancellation email? Or should I expect to receive an Acid Storm?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't see how you could complain about him. Unless it's he doesn't come with enough weapons to justify his namesake, which is Warpath.

He's the best H-tank ever, which is (to resort to cliche) like coming in 1st place at the Special Olympics. Also, as someone who has absolutely no investment in his character or anything, he may be super-G1 accurate, but he needs at least one other color to break up all that maroon. These are pretty minor flaws compared to the problems modern deluxes have, but they're enough to keep him in the extras bin instead of taking up valuable shelf real estate.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Apparently there's 3 Brainstorms!

Toyworld:

Fansproject:

MMC:

Could someone do Mindwipe or Skullcruncher and stop farting around with the boring headmasters?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

A) Brainstorm is not boring.
B) Fansproject showed Mindwipe at BotCon.

Boring is clearly subjective. And by "do" I mean "release for sale to the public" not "fart around with prototypes for 2 years".

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Well I'm up for that. Could this be the long-awaited first UM headsculpt that's not terrible?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Are we doing the thing where a head sculpt too far from the base doesn't count?

Cuz I can get behind that, but the Gens UM has a nice sculpt.

Yeah I mean it's OK but it's kind of bizarre that in a world where we've had a killer fiction-accurate Straxus head for years, there still isn't a UM head that actually looks like the toon/comic.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Does Myclone UM count?

I'd agree it's the best attempt to date but it's still a little chibi. And the fact it's the best attempt to date is just a little sad.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Maybe he'll be a Suzuki Swift again like the Alternity version. How is that one anyway?

Not great. Fussy transformation, terrible feet, and fat (even for a bumblebee).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Being a transformers fan* is like being an immortal of something, living through all these dark ages, when the concept of "good transformers" dies for a year every 2-3 years, is making me yearn for the sweet relief of the grave.

*at least one of the ones that's not mentally disabled. If there was an anti-movie fan KKK I would proudly join.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Kibble aside, is it just me or does that robot mode not even try to make Prime look just even a bit heroic? He looks far more like he's out for blood, usually they try to pretend he's just another kindly old prime. Or maybe I'm too influenced by the CD thread.

I've never touched that infamous CD thread and yeah movie Prime is a psychopathic monster and a terrible role model for children. You don't even have to read into it at all, it's right there on the surface.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Even in DOTM we still got some pretty cool toys, and I'm sure this line can't be 100% stinkers. :colbert:

If you only mean the movies then yeah you're right.

The movie toy lines are just a lot more hit and miss. I have a tub of the better movie toys. I'm not a monster.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Just curious but what percent of those are non-movie characters?

Ballparking it at 65%? I really like some of the movie character toys. HA Jazz is an incredible Masterpiece-level figure. Leader Sentinel and Ironhide are cool.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. It's no secret that Voyagers are my absolute favorite size class (I was never crazy about scouts and mini-cons, and I never truly fell in love with the Masterpiece line until they started releasing Voyager sized cars) but before that, I really, really want a proper Voyager Galvatron and G2 tank Megatron. I mean, I sound like a broken record, but I really want those.

At least there's the original G2 Megatron to tide you over. That's what I'm doing, anyway...

MTMTE is one of those rare comics where each new issue is my favorite issue in the series until the next one comes out, then THAT's my favorite. I've been reading comics for almost 30 years and I've never seen such a great "jumping on point" issue that's also just a solid issue for longtime readers.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 20, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

The original G2 Megatron has been tiding me over for 20 years.

I bought a Beast Wars 2 version, then combined some parts to give it a different look that's a little closer to the comics IMO. I just wish reprolabels had a set for it, a version with all the stickers in tact can be surprisingly expensive.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress can I not find a G1 Vortex for a remotely reasonable price? Is he secretly made with platinum screws, or what?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

The MP cars are a bit too small to be considered Voyagers, I'd say.

It if were still 2005 I'd agree, but if we're going by some kind of algorithm that factors in size and mass (as opposed to "scale", which is always sketchy), I think they're about equivalent.

Keldroc posted:

I would hate it, but it makes me laugh too much.

You said it perfectly. I'd be happy to buy one for cheap, it looks hilarious.

edit: I finally got a G1 Squeezeplay, god he's awesome. I would kill for a classics version (even with the head gimmick removed).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

God no, it looks nothing like G2 Megs in robot mode. The head is well done though.

I usually hate when people say "We need a new Galvatron" (as an example), because even if it isn't the one you wanted, it's still some kind of attention, which (to me) means it's another character's turn for some love. But there's a big exception for recolors, like GDO Megatron. That mold is SO specifically Bludgeon, with the "skeleton wearing a tank suit" limbs. So yeah, bring on a voyager G2 Megatron, that'd be great.

I love that head, someday I will use the face in a bitchin Deathsaurus custom.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Of all the tank Megatrons they've done, only the legends one really looks like him, but the problem with it is that it's a legends figure.

Maybe you're thinking about this the wrong way, maybe you need a Trypticon to legitimize your legends figure...

I liked that G2 Megatron that was a repaint of his deluxe-size Classics figure but I may be alone on that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Captain Rufus posted:

Honestly I thought Thunderclash was gonna be in last Botcons Machine Wars set. Just take all the Foch molds and repaint them into the original toys the 90s Machine Wars characters swiped from. Seemed like a logical and brilliant idea to me.

Which is probably why Funpub chose to not do it.

I would say "Funpub wouldn't do that because there was already a Botcon Thunderclash in 2009" but this is the same Funpub that can't seem to curb their addiction to sucking Brakedown's dick, soooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I got home from the grocery store to find my wife watching the 2007 movie on TV. I almost feel likeI walked in on her loving a hobo or something.