Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor posted:

I can't believe we finally got a new thread, and it wasn't called the Galvathread. :(

While I firmly believe a new thread was not needed, and at least should have been cleared with the mods, I have decided Terry van Feleday is the best person to make the new thread specifically because they did not call it the loving Galvathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Milotic posted:

"All Hail Megatron!" is another fairly self-contained story that's worth a read. It can get a bit grim in places though. But like MTMTE it's a fresh direction.

AHM seems to be pretty roundly disliked around here, but I think at least the first half is an interesting take on Megatron's point of view after millions of years of a pretty one-sided war, as well as his real opinion of Starscream.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I've said it before, but I really hope somebody in the industry notices Roberts' Transformers comics, and it's not just us Transformers nerds. You know, they have a stigma of being "ewww, Transformers, that's a terrible Michael Bay movie and a cartoon that's just a 30 minute toy advertisement", and while Transformers' bad stigma is really kind of deserved most of the time, the sad part is because of that, a LOT of people will write off one of the very best ongoing comic series right now. I love it that I finally have some legitimately fantastic Transformers comics, but it makes me sad that people don't want to read it because it's a Transformers comic. :(

On one hand, I agree, the book is one of the best things in comics today and deserves vastly more recognition. On the other hand, the sooner the rest of the industry notices Roberts, the sooner we lose him to "real" comics.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

No, they're both really, really bad. The only fiction worth a poo poo is G1 for camp, Beast Wars, and MTMTE.

Nah, Prime is fine, with moments that reveal how good it really could have been if it hadn't been so in love with its own status quo. And most of IDW is head and shoulders above any of the other non-BW fiction in the brand's history. MTMTE may be the pinnacle, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'd settle for Optimus not being a stoic bore so much of the time. There's no possible way to reconcile the High Moon games with the TFP continuity, but even in those games Optimus has a bit of fire in the belly now and then. Optimus' best moment in TFP for me was after they realized Starscream had duped them and snagged all the relics they'd been working so hard to gather and Optimus just roars with rage and frustration. If they'd given the character more of those "human" moments, I think I would have been a much bigger fan of TFP.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You are more of a robot than the ones in the cartoons, dude. This isn't your thread to dictate nor was the last one, your approval is unnecessary, and even with the new thread with a GREAT OP you had to make a final arms-folded passive-aggressive disapproving post. Maybe one day, your smiling servos will unrust and you'll smile again, to the enjoyment of everyone!

My approval was not necessary, although there's something to be said for community consensus. The real issue was mostly due to those of us who actually remember the beginning of the old thread. Considering last time a new thread was made they both got gassed and several of us not only had to PM mods and Lowtax to petition to reopen one and have one at all, we were also told that attempting to make a new one would result in the revocation of the ability to have a TF thread in BSS at all, it was not a decision to be taken lightly by many of us who have been around since the beginning. Luckily current BSS management doesn't seem to be as against the idea, or this could have turned out very badly simply because some people inexplicably...don't like long threads? Wanted an OP full of info they already know? I dunno. We were lucky.

But thanks for somehow thinking that means I'm a humorless robot or something. Because that makes sense.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

New TF Legends episode starts today, entitled "All Hail Galvatron." No word on cards that I saw, but I think Galvatron is a safe assumption. Maybe we'll finally get a Rodimus and possibly Springer?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

And the other Decepticons are Cyclonus, Scourge and...Gnaw. Wouldn't have called that one.

What sucks about Sandstorm being spotted first in your city is that everyone and their brother has already snagged them all by the time you get out the door. Lots of Springers and Blitzwings taunting me with his absence.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Veg posted:

Brainstorm, to me, has a really nasally raspy voice.

Steve Buscemi would be my Brainstorm.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

That being said there's maybe a way to reset the available space bridges after an update. If so thats a big problem since someone could in theory keep resetting the episode/event bridges back to $1.00 all the time and save a ton of money.

This would explain the PvP battles I've had against people with teams made entirely of Episode Razorclaws and Divebombs.

And yes, the TFW community is nuts about 80-90% of the time. Pay them no mind.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

How? It's the exact same mold. The colors are garish, but that's Smokescreen.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Lepecard posted:

A little of both actually.

Extra weapons and if it's anything like Perfect Effect's Arcee then transformation will require a bit of parts-forming.

Hopefully a review will be out soon to clarify everything.

It's an extensive remold of PE Arcee, so it will be that plus the extra partsforming that may be introduced by the spider accessories.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Counterpoint: Season 3, episode 11: This Is Why I Hate Machines.

It's also another Ratchet-centric episode, proving that Ratchet is the best.

It also has a Rattrap cameo!

Still waiting for the CN/Hasbro feud being settled to result in a DVD release of Season 3.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

All I can say is that with next year being the 30th anniversary, the BotCon exclusives better be mindblowing.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Is there one specific page I can look at that has all the upcoming toy releases in one place? What's coming out in what line, and roughly at what time?

We all wish. The closest would be the preorder pages at BBTS or TFSource, but often those release dates are just month-wide windows, and tend to be guesses half the time. Most commonly the fandom finds out a particular figure is out because someone finds it in a store and sends a photo to TFW or Seibertron, and other toy lines seem to be similar, at least from Hasbro.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yonic Symbolism posted:

90's cgi probably.
That and a long, slow, episodic, and silly first season.

Really, I would just recommend watching The Trigger, Before the Storm, and Other Voices out of season 1 and then watching season's 2 and 3.
Those are the most relevant episodes to the ongoing plot of the latter seasons.
And the latter seasons have the intrigue and plotting that made the series something to remember.

I would also say The Spark is a key Season 1 episode, both because it introduced the spark/soul concept to the brand and because it establishes Rhinox firmly as the spiritual leader of the Maximals, which is key to understanding what he's doing in the opening eps of Season 2.

Also Spider's Game, because Inferno rules.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You guys can rag on it all you want but as a big fan of body horror I find the concept of having gender forced upon a genderless alien to be compelling as hell. Jhiaxus's actions are consistent with his portrayal in the IDW-verse. People being offended at the story seems like an old school "sensitiver than thou" slapfight. Though in fairness I'm only a lifelong proponent of LGBT rights, not an actual transgendered (the allegedly offended persons) human, so maybe I need some help being brought around on this one.

The concept is interesting but what's done with it is brainless and silly. What you describe would indeed be a really fascinating exploration of gender in Transformerdom, but Furman doesn't seem like he was up to the task or even considering it on the level you're talking about.

The Rage posted:

gently caress, after seeing the Rainmakers now I want a set.

Same. I am a tremendous shill for that mold, and Seekers in general.

Rumor is Metroplex will be for sale on the floor tomorrow, which is good for attendees since apparently he has come and gone at Amazon already.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is this thing going to have an exclusive deco or some poo poo? I might just have to get one... or two.

SDCC version description indicates it's basically the Takara deco.

quote:

Transformers Generations Titan Class Metroplex SDCC Edition
($149.99, HasbroToyShop.com or Comic-Con International booth #3329)
The largest converting Transformers toy changes from robot mode to rolling battle platform mode, and also converts into an Autobot city. This special-edition version features two giant blasters, metallic coated armor, chrome foil stickers, as well as a Legends-scale Scamper figure and 12 miniature Autobot and Decepticon figures to inhabit his Autobot city mode.

Very curious about the "12 miniature Autobot and Decepticon figures" mentioned at the end there.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

After reading RID as well and not being overly familiar with the comics history I do have a question though - has Prowl always been such a colossal tool?

Pretty much, yes. Furman played up his tool status in the G1 comics, especially near the end, but the IDW comics have really broken new ground on Prowl's tooldom.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Metroplex available for preorder on Amazon.

$125 plus free shipping with Prime is probably as good as it's gonna get. Plus it ships on August 1st, which gives you some time to save and/or see if you manage to snag an SDCC version.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

gently caress it, ordered one. Even if I don't want him I can easily flip it in a year for double the price right?

I would not be at all surprised. This one's going to be in demand for a while, I think.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

MOTORMASTER!

For some reason everyone thinks this is Ultra Magnus, but a silver and black truck plus an overload of supercars = Stunticons in my book. Of course, for all the logic Bay uses in his films they might well end up being the Predacons, but still, I think that's Motormaster, not Magnus.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Probably only worth it if you don't have Amazon Prime. That sucker's going to cost at least $15 to ship from BBTS, I'll wager.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

As I'd hoped and sort of expected, Hasbro is finally remembering Beast Wars.

Good stuff.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, the Transmetal figures are pretty solid overall, I'm okay waiting on those. The Season 1 characters have needed decent figures for 17 years.

Edit: Does...does that Deluxe not have loving elbows? :stonk:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

If those are literally scaled-up Legends, does that mean you'll be able to make that terrible Abominus out of Deluxes now? Because that might actually cross the line into awesome.

Edit: Oh, and good call putting out another repaint of the Voyager Predaking mold, Hasbro. That won't clog shelves up more or anything.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Knock-off toys is the last place I expected Hasbro to take inspiration from. Does this mean we at least get to have a large Abominus?

No, the combining aspect has been removed, apparently. You're looking at filler to kill time in Q1 and Q2 2014 until the movie toys hit. I guess now we know why they laid off all their designers. Why bother when you can just upscale Legions figures and steal designs from the comic book artists?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

I've spotted the upcoming Swerve and Skids so far in this thread, could anyone do me a solid and tell me if there are any other MTMTE designs upcoming or already out?

IDW Whirl is coming, but no pictures have been shown yet. Tailgate is also on the way.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That means they're not doing a new Chromedome? :ohdear:

I feel like we've just seen practically everything we're going to see until the movie line takes over next May.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I sincerely hope not, if they're really going for the 30th anniversary thing. All we're left with unseen is Tailgate and Whirl, and I imagine them hitting early 2014.

I hope you're right, but I still remember the months of nothing in the springs of 2009 and 2011.

Veg posted:

Im more suprised we're seeing Whirl instead of, yknow.. Rodimus but I'll buy all the MTMTE figures anyway.

Maybe they wanted to renew the trademark on Whirl. Or, since they don't like to cross the streams on the CHUG line and the main line...maybe Rodimus is making an appearance in TF4.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Well at least $120 is an insanely good price for MP Soundwave and his five cassettes. Now to see how many of us actually are lucky enough to pay that price. :rodimus:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

So that black and silver truck that we thought was probably Motormaster? Yeah, probably Nemesis Prime, it turns out. Which I guess is obvious in hindsight.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

therealjon_ posted:

What issues has TFSource had in the past? I was tempted to get in on that Sideswipe, but haven't decided ... if they are a lovely place to buy from I'll just live without it.

You can't cancel an order once you've placed it, you pay in advance, and there's no real way to check your order status aside from emailing them, which they don't like very much. A lot of people also got screwed when they offered up a preorder for MP Soundwave but never delivered on it. I've never had an unfulfilled order from them, but it is a bit like throwing your money in a hole and hoping it coughs up a toy robot a few months later.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Well, that's good that they came through on Soundwave, then. But I still feel like the ordering process with TFSource is a bit too faith-based for my taste. Again, they've never screwed me on anything, but I prefer BBTS' methodology.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, TFSource's packing is second to none, that's for certain. It would take a low-yield nuclear explosion to dent some of the boxes they've sent me stuff in.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I think they should have stuck to the original size rather than scaling them up to small Deluxe size. Seaspray and Huffer were pretty cool little figures, but the upscale made everything get kind of weird.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

In 2007, people were going nuts over Classics figures and Alternators... now we've pretty much run out of notable G1 characters to remake.

I think Sandstorm pretty much destroys this idea and grinds it to powder. Nobody would call Sandstorm notable as a G1 character, but he made for a thoroughly kickass toy. As always, overexposure isn't the problem, lack of inspiration is. A fanservice callback is only as good as the idea behind it, and a lot of the callbacks these days are just Family Guy style "HEY REMEMBER THIS?" stuff. Beast Wars' G1 tie-in was great not just because it was paying homage to the classic series, but because what BW actually did with it was interesting and cool in its own right. Hell, at their core, MTMTE and RiD are just big G1 callbacks, but the writers are doing new and interesting things with those callback characters, and it's awesome. I don't think callbacks are old or over, I think the creators need to be smart about using them. On the flip side, TFA is possibly the most obvious example of how not to do callbacks.

Also it is past time for some Beast Wars chocolate callbacks in the G1 peanut butter callback material. When The Agenda aired, G1 was 13 years old. Beast Wars is currently 17 years old.

Speaking of which, you know who's 13 years old next year? This guy:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that the brand is in decline or due for collapse in a few years. It's still incredibly strong, possibly still the top selling boys' toyline, and TF4 (like it or not) is going to boost it back into the stratosphere next year. Also consider that we are more than halfway to the first Bay film's 10th anniversary, meaning the kids who grew up with that version of Transformers are hitting their twenties in the latter half of this decade. And we all know being in your twenties inevitably leads to the "I should see if I can find that old toy I loved when I was a kid" itch, which will just make it all even stronger.

The brand is not going to see a low point like the one that resulted in Beast Wars in a very long time, if ever. At this point I'd say the best hope for really inventive new TF fiction remains with IDW. The fact that Hasbro is now making IDW characters as toys as a regular thing would indicate that they acknowledge the value of that facet of the brand, at least. There's a much better chance of MTMTE and RID leading to tremendously new takes on the material and being given the necessary time to evolve than there ever will be for a cartoon series that's mostly just racing to the magic syndication number of 65 episodes.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

I mean, is anyone gonna argue that MTMTE is the best TF fiction we've had since Beast Wars? Hell, I'll say for the record I think it's the best TF fiction ever.

I agree, but I just don't think Hasbro is interested in that kind of thing for their cartoons. They want something quick, clean, reliable, and above all else, risk-free. MTMTE is essentially nothing but risk, issue after issue. Real emotion, real issues, real character development, all the stuff that requires a creative highwire act that's fine for a critically well-regarded comic that satiates the adult fandom, but for a multi-million dollar cartoon series meant to reel in the toy-buying kids? I think it would be warped by executive meddling and syndication sanitization to the point that we'd wish it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Rage posted:

I wish this so much. Then I see the BH 2014 line-up and I weep.

Maybe they're just throwing out both extremes and seeing how many people bite on each one. What I'm saying is, everyone buy 10 Whirls.