Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Lot of disrespect being shown towards the Japanese G1 and Unicron Trilogy in that OP, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Animated is great when you realize it's long tail story arc is really a story about Ratchet from beginning to end. Everyone had agendas and backgrounds and stories, and all of these interweaving details. Sure it wasn't high art, but it was a really solid attempt at ANIMATING these characters, both in terms of character and style.

Prime is a story about...nothing, really. Like it's not even a good toy commercial, since most of the toys aren't even in the show at this point. It's just...banal.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I would have loved to have seen the Rainmakers done up in the Terradive mold. Bleh.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's not even piece for piece, Windrazor actually loses some articulation since he's missing a balljoint the Cyberverse toy has.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Peaugh and Vangelus have reviews up for the first two members of the Retro-Future Glacialord and they look AMAZING. According to sources on Twitter, they'll be available at TFCon for 30 dollars a limb, 50 for the Torso. MAYBE only the first two will be available, the torso guy is still up in the air right now.

They're like G1-aesthetic combiners, big and chunky and blocky, but with articulation hidden inside and around the limbs. They're also all headmasters and have scramble-city compatibility with G1 combiners.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's going to be a nice break from the other third party combiners with their insane pricepoints and massive size. I think FP actually made a really competitive decision here.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Rodimus' wasn't going to get a voyager with his MTME altmode, and as a deluxe it would be another sports car on the shelf fighting for space with all the Bumblebees.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I imagine Shockwave just doesn't see the point in complex or stylish, flashy transformations. He just bends into a shape that makes him more mobile.

You know.

Like a gun.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Haha, wow, the reaction in this thread to the Fanmade character is loving grim.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Which man, Ashley Woods REALLY needs to get on some 3A Pacific Rim toys. I want a foot-tall Cherno Alpha please.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

NECA is a weird loving company, because they'll knock out a frankly, fantastic toy (like their Gordon Freeman is just, absolutely brilliant.) and then turn around and spray awful toys in every direction. Like specifically they seem to gently caress up on precision paint apps, like eyes. If you're ever buying Portal 2's Chell, like, pull out the ENTIRE RACK and look at every single Chell (or GOW3 Anya) because like, sometimes the BEST one will look like THIS

This means that ordering a lot of NECA figures online is BRUTAL because you just DON'T know what you're getting. They really need to be seen in hand.

That said, where the sculpts are often fantastic, they get in the way of articulation and posability. NECA often feels like they're making cheap, tiny statues out of lovely, smelly plastic than actual good toys. Their Team Fortress toys can barely stand because the joint tolerances can't support the barrel-chested, tiny-ankled designs. The Pacific Rim toys have articulation that's honestly NICE, but it feels like it wasn't designed with the actual DESIGN in mind, so everything gets in its own way and limits any actual articulation afforded by the engineering.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 21, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

to be fair, that Chell does look pretty nice posed.

On a shelf.

On the other side of the room.

In the dark.

With the LED on in the portal gun.

The Gordon Freeman they did is absolutely loving fantastic though, I love it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Did you go up with the rest of the Americans, Strangehamster? I'm a Toronto native, but I still won't be up until friday and it's KILLING ME.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I might drag him into Toronto if I wake up on time, maybe we can meet up and discuss how all the comic stores are crap.

The Hairy Tarantula is still...alright, but the Snail got really bad since the move.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

TFCon tomorrow, baby! I'm so excited!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

In other Transformers News...

Con Haul So far:
-Generations Sandstorm
-Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megatron (Complete W/ TARTAREX WARP BLADE)
-TFCon Exclusive Gobit Roswell
-TFCon Exclusive Gobit Van Guardian
-Back to the Future Lego set.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 27, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Christ the Glacialords out of Fansproject are loving spectacular. I can't stop playing with the three they had for sale at the con.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

TFCon was, as always, loving amazing. Like a four-day blur of drinking and waterslides with a dealer room and the occasional panel.

Videos:
Vangelus singing Bad Romance
More Karaoke (Feat. Goober, the Legend of TFCon)

And my complete haul!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

strangehamster posted:

Who ruined their voice just yelling the hell out of Mr. Roboto?

I don't know his name, but he's there every year dressed up as 1990's Weird Al. This year for Karaoke he was Weird Al Cosplaying As a Dalek.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Optimist Prime posted:

There were plenty available at TFCon. Not sure why BBTS et al are still waiting on their shipments. I highly recommend it, tho, whenever it shows up.

I had a hell of a time finding one at TFCon, I practically embarrassed myself to death waiting for a guy who MIGHT have had one until I broke down and snagged the last one for 160 from another booth.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Pug-petting must pay really well.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Movieverse dinobots probably won't have actual robot modes and will just be big robot dinosaurs.

Which would actually be pretty cool because I wouldn't mind a Grimlock robot mode that was just like, MADE of joints.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Keldroc posted:

Ravage and Laserbeak turned into a missile and anything the idiot plot required, respectively. Dinobots that only have beast modes and vehicle modes are definitely a bad enough idea to be part of a Bay film, but I really wonder if Hasbro would go along with that. The Dinobots are one of the few elements of G1 that everyone, even non-fans, remembers, and messing with that concept too radically might be seen as a risk.

You know, like Soundwave.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

And we mean loving BLACKOUT drunk, I've never been that loving hungover. I remember falling out of bed Saturday morning, crawling into the washroom, downing a fistfull of tylenol and standing under the shower until the throbbing in my head stopped.

Then I got into line so I could get the Glacialords.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, he's absolutely fantastic, it's a very cool attempt at creating a 'new' G1 Transformer (Also, he's clearly a colour-palette homage to Computron) I ramble about him on the TFCon WTF podcast in more detail though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Phy posted:

Transformers thread PSA time: Please take ibuprofen or aspirin after heroic drinking. One or two tylenol is probably safe, but too much can literally kill your liver, if it's already overworked trying to process lots of booze. That is a real thing that people die from.

By fistfull I meant like, 3, but this is actually seriously really good advice! :stare:

As for the rest of the Glacialords, i dunno man, a lot of poo poo got delayed recently. I think production costs in China have been skyrocketing.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 10, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ages 3 and Up seemed to be the only table alongside TFSource that wasn't actively trying to gently caress customers over on the dealer floor, it seems.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Blackheart posted:

I just got a Takara Animated Rodimus, finally getting to own a version of this mold.

just... holy poo poo :aaa:

Quite seriously one of my favourite Transformers of all time. I miss Animated a lot.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I was having a conversation with one of the FP designers at TFCon, and he says that every FP headsculpt is meant to look like a movie actor. Now is it just me or does Diesel look a bit like Vin Diesel, or do I just WANT to see it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I got Quadruple U the other day.

He's pretty fantastic.

I love how both Function-X members have cockpits that completely fill in during the robot transformation, so it retains a place to sit in the altmode, but doesn't add any bulk to the robot mode. The transformation is actually fantastic, and along with Code, is really showing how this line is a really good showcase for fantastic engineering.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Keldroc posted:

Code and Quadruple U are two of the best TFs I've gotten all year. I would say the Function-X line is the best work FP has done on anything so far.

I saw their Mindwipe at TFCon, which looks AMAZING and they seem to have a really fantastic Brainstorm too. This line is such a treat.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Is this how it's gonna be now? I guess I'm not much of a business person but what good is it for several third parties tackling the same characters at once? Not that I'm complaining since the public benefits from this, but what do the manufacturers gain in this?

The problem is, as I understand it, toy production can't really happen overnight, and there's a 1-3 year production cycle on a LOT of this stuff. Once they have sculpted protos, that's actually a shitload of invested money that they then have to move forward on. So the key is to develop a signature style and look that will sell the figure outside of just straight up nostalgia appeal. And honestly that's working for Fansproject, they've managed to put out a line of Headmasters that trade almost entirely on engineering complexity. And Toyworld's chunky aesthetic really does work for a lot of people. MMC's big draw is that they tend to go for big, elaborate, detail-heavy designs, and often rather unique interpretations.

So when you strip a lot of that quality away you're left with, well, that Brainstorm. Eugh.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Keldroc posted:

A) Brainstorm is not boring.
B) Fansproject showed Mindwipe at BotCon.

I loving scream every time I look at that drat thing. I mean look at it. LOOK AT IT.

The Bat Head Turns Upside Down To Form The Chest

He has a raised Dracula Collar

HE HAS A COCKPIT ON HIS BACK THAT IS A TINY COFFIN.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

If he's Canadian the voice chip on that one was neutered significantly.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Vastly. Like we're talking Fast and the Furious vs. Wacky Races here.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, like, I'm a loving grownup, and there's literally a whole side-industry of both official and unofficial Transformers that caters exclusively to ME. They found during testing that kids didn't loving like the over complicated designs, which makes sense. They showed off once how G1 wheeljack transformed in 5 steps but in a new version it was 5 steps just to transform one foot. I'm okay with the series mainlines scaling back if it means the line gets to continue at all.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Behold My True Form Optimus Prime is loving fantastic.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

No no no, I disagree, you have to have them splayed out like he's Gundam X going in for the kill.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm blown the gently caress away they weren't just making a shooter where you play as humans going WOW WAIT UNTIL SAM'S DOG GETS A LOAD OF THIS while autobots fight in the background from the get-go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

Oh my god Maketoys Paladin/Chaos is never coming out, is it? :( I wouldn't mind so much except that my Fansproject not-Drag Strip and not-Dead End are bundled with it.

I am never pre-order-stacking toys from different companies ever again.

I have Paladin/Chaos, he's loving awesome. Maybe he was only available at cons?