Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Squalitude posted:

I've not really bothered with the comics this century but those MTMTE images did get my attention. Does Ultra Magnus always come across like Kryten or is it just that page?

If you're interested at all in Transformers, RID and MTMTE are must reads. RID gets slightly uneven but is still great, and MTMTE is undoubtedly the best TF stories the fandom has ever gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

RaspberryCommie posted:

The only problem is that there's no way to render Press E to destroy Megatron on the toy.

That one scene redeemed the whole game. It will be reenacted with Revoltech Megatron on my dresser.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goddamnit Hasbro where is my loving Metroplex

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I pretty much write off the first season of any TF show, except G1 of course in which it was actually by far the best written and drawn.

Also I wish anyone had the balls to actually delve into gender issues with stories about Arcee and maybe even other female Autobots, but Hasbro wouldn't touch that with a cis pole

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

4 Metroplexes (Metroplexi?) in stock on Amazon

I couldn't do it at 185 bucks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SDCC exclusives:

6 inch figs: not very good

Shockwave G1 deco/playset: pretty nice, although all I'd want is Shockwave

SDCC Metroplex: oh yeah, well worth the premium

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

no finer character to break tables with

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Considering how racist, sexist, and (probably) homophobic Bay is, it'd be a pretty demeaning role

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

quote:

Due to the world's largest online retailer breaking the on-site date of 7/1 on this item and listing early, we are forced to protect the large investment we've made in this figure and also list preorders.

I had ordered from Amazon but I'm considering cancelling and just going to BBTS. I doubt Amazon had bad intentions, but gently caress em, support the toy store.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I know opinions on BBTS are mixed but I've always had phenomenal customer service from them. I don't even mind their prices being higher at times because they're pretty upfront about their business model.

I also understand why they'd be pissed. Amazon breaking embargo probably cost them quite a few sales.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

oh poo poo just announced

Swerve (MTMTE style)
Tailgate
IDW Bumblebee
IDW Skids

AND loving CLASSICS COSMOS AT LAST- LEGENDS CLASS

e- and Doubledealer, and they're still announcing

double e- Voyager class Rhinox (new mold)

VOYAGER CLASS WHIRL

GD_American fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 29, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

12 minifigs with SDCC Metroplex will be like the decoys

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

A Whirl might get me into this stupid hobby. I almost bought Springer last night but decided against it, but I love Whirl as a character.

Springer is tits, dude. Only TF I've bought since CHUG Warpath, and I don't regret a thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The packaging for the SDCC stuff is loving INSANE

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Where are you guys seeing all this stuff?

TFW2005 has full galleries

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've never bought 3rd party weapons but I'm pretty sure My First Blaster is gonna get bought

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SDCC Metroplex actually comes with decoys :dance:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How fast do they usually sell out?

With Acid Storm, probably a day.

With MP Soundwave, minutes, not hours.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was reading Terry's post, and that got me thinking: we've reached a point where Transformers is so full of fan service, it has no effect anymore.

When I was 12 or 13 and I saw Ravage transform into a tape and make the G1 sound in Beast Wars, I just about flipped my poo poo. Even moreso when they discovered the Ark with all the G1 dudes on it. Nowadays? That's not really anything. Optimus Prime saying "One shall stand, one shall fall" in Prime elicits groans today, but 10 years ago people would be like "awesome!"

It's been a long time since I've seen Animated. I didn't notice the whole BOOTSTRAPS thing in the Constructicon episodes, probably because I was too busy going "HOLY poo poo THEY BROUGHT BACK THE CONSTRUCTICONS." I also enjoyed the Wreck-Gar one because "Holy crap, it's Wreck-Gar voices by Weird Al!"

In 2007, people were going nuts over Classics figures and Alternators... now we've pretty much run out of notable G1 characters to remake.

You know, I often say that overexposure will ruin anything, and I think that's become the case with retro callbacks these days. Before, it was a rare surprised to get one, now it's par for the course.

Yeah, I'm a huge G1 fanboy, but it's time for new territory.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'd have high hopes of Roberts becoming some kind of showrunner/brand ambassador. The fandom is certainly behind him (pleasantly surprising, considering their ability to hate everything)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There's so many good frameworks out there besides doing Secret War on Earth for the dozenth time.

Space Opera

Post-War (Autobots win, Decepticons on the run)

Post-War (Decepticons win, Autobots hunted and scattered)

Dystopian Cybertron

Naval Adventure

Original Star Trek (ie, "Wagon Train to the Stars")

Time Wars

Cybertronian Manifest Destiny

Post-Human Partnership

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Isn't that what the Dreamwave G1 comic tried to do?

Yeah. I think the story was actually pretty solid, the execution of it was just pretty off.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Do you mean the execution of the comics or the execution of not paying the people working on it?

Art, disjointed continuity between the miniseries mainly. The pay poo poo was horrible, but behind the scenes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I might sound simple but who/what is that?

Until 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime came along, the best TF toy ever made

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cullen is not the problem. Over-gravitas in the writing for his character is. I never thought I'd say I wanted the goofy poo poo back in TF cartoons, but cmon. Even the way he said "Good grief" in G1 was great.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

"Peter Cullen should have made Michael Bay change his lines in the movie"

- an actual opinion, amazingly enough

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

I'm pretty sure Black Zarak had the special head that was more proportional compared to Scorponok who had that huge body with a regular headmaster size head with a silly hat on top.

Yeah, it was nice that he didn't look retarded if you lost the Headmaster. I bought one loose and he's pretty neat-o.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

You people and your cute 'bought one'. I still have my Scorponok from when I was 8. :smug:

I wish I knew where his many, many parts are. :saddowns:

Well to be fair when I was 8 Scorponok was still three years away from being made, although I did get him on layaway with a buddy when he came out.

I had no idea Black Zarak existed until around 1998 or so when I started collecting TFs again. I think I paid about 120 bucks for mine, which is in great shape but has pretty much no accessories.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If they did a Trypticon, I'd hope it was a pretty radical redesign. As an original 1986 owner, I can testify that it's a pretty poo poo toy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I wouldn't mind them going more Fall of Cybertron with it, really. 2 foot tall T-Rex that turns into the Nemesis? Sure, take my money.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Very interesting reveal in MTMTE #19.

Minimus Ambus was not the first Ultra Magnus.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Keldroc posted:

And they're gone.

Nice of you to wait until you said you would, TRU :waycool:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There's a possibility he's set to take a role in one of the two monthly books and the writers are just giving Hasbro lead time.

Or it could just be one of the designers' favorite characters. Who knows.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah my wife asked me once if I ever thought about going to a Transformer convention, I told her there would be no quicker way for me to ever give up on the whole thing then stick me in a ballroom with a few hundred of those loving people

It's much easier to self-select on the Internet and even now and again some of you fuckers here are embarrassing

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

RID preview looks like they're returning to some better characterization of Starscream. Really, if they made a 3rd book for all the miscellaneous threads and kept RID to just "Reign of Starscream", I'd be happy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I feel like after having RiD Magnus and Animated Magnus (and G1 Magnus, Diaclone colored Magnus, and in a dumb decision, even Piss Magnus), I'm good with Magni forever

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MP RiD Prime, however, will make my dingus tingle

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gently caress Harmony Gold and gently caress Carl Macek.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Keldroc posted:

I drive by their building in LA sometimes, which is huge and has a big old "HARMONY GOLD" logo sign out front. It amazes me that all these years later they can still afford space in that area in that building while not putting out any product whatsoever. Preventing the US release of any and all Macross merchandise is much more profitable than you'd think, I guess.

I hope it backfires on them and they finally lose the ability to block Macross stuff in North America.

They're actually more into real estate now. Seriously. Check out their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sigh.

I'm never gonna see one of those Jetfire GI Joe sets for less than 4 figures again, am I?