Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

TheDK posted:

Well I was just excited for Charticon but after this promo video I am loving giddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXINEyQFpA

Looks cool. Kinda an unfortunate name for a con though isn't it? Sounds like they say "Shart"icon every time. Sharticons sound like some sort of transforming gross-out toy from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Not really sure. I happened to see it too and just kept clicking through. Eventually I got a proper order page but the ship to home option was disabled and of course the only store within range of me has none in stock.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So,probably not high on anyone's want lists but I got the Construct Bots Soundwave and Wheeljack today. What follows is a very brief review.

Individually they piece together well and feel sturdy. The do indeed transform and the transformations while simple are pretty decent. They clip together, parts fit against each other snugly and the end result is a pretty neat looking vehicle. Construction of the sets isn't very complicated each only took me 10 to 15 minutes. Though they both have a number of uniquely sculpted parts they go together pretty much the same. The conversions are also very similar but the resulting vehicles have a very different appearance. The robot forms are pretty competent but both have rather large wheels/wings coming off their arms. I wonder if that couldn't be improved with my own tinkering with the pieces.

There are no Lego/K'nex/etc compatible parts here. It all appears to be it's own system so if you'd like to make your own custom transformers with the sets you'll want a couple. For the money ($15 I believe it was) they're pretty decent Transformer building toys. Oh, they each come with a little plastic case which you can keep each sets parts and instructions in. I thought that was a nice touch.

Final Review Score: Pretty ok. I liked them. I can definitely see myself making a custom guy that looks pretty decent from the parts. Not gonna be something to rush out to your local target for though. To the surprise of nobody I think.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Just got an e-mail about mine too! Should be here Saturday.

For any Seattle/Eastside folks here I was just at the Redmond Target this morning and they'd finally rebooted the transformers section. It's moved down to the other end of the same isle. They've got all the new Predacons Rising stuff I think, the construct bots and they had a single Springer this morning. No Sandstorm unfortunately. I didn't actually pick anything up except a couple construct bots. I'm just not feeling the pointy cars and dragons series.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

BXCX posted:

They're back online GOGOGO!

Just got an order in! Got confirmation e-mail as well. Glad I sat down to eat my morning cereal just now.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I must be one of the few that doesn't care about the head thing. I never liked the whole face changing gimmick on the animated one and I pretty much just picked the one I liked best and left it there. The shoulders are annoying but easy to fix.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

So last night I made my first Transformers purchase since Fall of Cybertron when I grabbed the Construct Bots Ultimate Class Optimus Prime & Megatron Two Pack and so far it(like the rest of the line) looks very promising and I'll give it a full review once I've built them

I'll actually be interested to here what you have to say. I did a mini-review of a few some pages back. I kinda like them and would like to see other folks creations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Arsenal_12 posted:

In case anyone else was psyched for the Glacial lord bots from Fansproject, the first two are up for pre-order on Fansproject Core. There's a member price of 29.99 each (39.99 if you don't have an account) and 12.99 flat rate for shipping which isn't bad. The next three are supposedly going to be up in the next few weeks.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that when I read Glacial Lord Bot I was hoping for a bad rear end 3rd party Rock Lord. You know what? Nevermind. Not ashamed of that. Rock Lords were kinda metal. Uh, especially the metal ones...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Blackheart posted:

If I haven't convinced you guys yet about my horrible taste in plastic robots, I picked these guys on discount and they're surprisingly solid and fun to play with, if you fiddle and customize them a bit (which honestly, is the whole point). They're voyager-sized and the best thing is their accessories and guns (the megs vs. optimus pack comes with a ton of extras) have standard 5mm pegs and pegholes so they're great for arming your regular transformers.

Just look at Hound's :buddy: face

I enjoy them. I'll have to get my camera out and post up some of my mix-and-match monstrosities soon.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
For those in the Seattle area my wife just called me from the Bellevue ToysRUs and they had the Platinum Edition Optimus and Starscream. I didn't think there were many of you looking for these but I figured I'd mention it just in case. I had her grab me the gaudy Bling Edition Optimus because I have a problem.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The trailer looks terrible in clear plastic. I'm kind of shocked they haven't announced a reissue without trailer.

I have to admit I'm getting it just for the shear weirdness of the thing. I've already got the original MP prime and this seems like a good enough excuse to get the newer iteration on it. If I can get a chain and a properly scaled boombox for him I'd totally pose him like

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I like Armada Starscream. Mostly though I liked the character design aspect but the original Armada toy was so bad. It must have had 3 or 4 inches of plane top and flipped back guns sticking straight out the back. to the point where his feet had to have "heel feet" that were almost as big as his normal toes.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't even be arsed with sarcasm at stuff like that. He is aware of Trukk not Monkey but doesn't realize it is mostly a derisive term at this point? Whatever. Here's a Vangelus review of AoE Grimlock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxIqIWxHj4 I'm not quite sold, but it is good enough to excite me a little for the line.

TransFOURmers toys!

Looks like Super Shredder in bot form.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Got a Whirl today at TRU. I was kinda on the fence but after having him in hand I like him quite a bit more than just based on pictures. The leg/cockpit gap situation isn't great but I really like everything else about the figure.

I also grabbed MP G2 Sideswipe at Emerald City Comic-con last weekend. Figure just oozes personality. Pretty slick.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Sooo glad my wife picked MP Grimlock up for me in the first round. I hate having to practically camp stores to get certain things.

Also, just adding to the popular opinion I suppose but the dinobots I've gotten so far are indeed great. I also ended up with Leader Grimlock. I just don't dig the robot mode of the voyager as much and I think the t-rex mode of both of them has flaws.

Evasion mode Optimus is pretty cool but the elbows bug me some. They have a joint but at the same time there's a molded in elbow. It's kinda weird. A blast to transform though.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Pretty excited. My tracking shows Wheeljack, Jetfire and Slog as delivered. The first 2 I'm super excited to check out. Slog I gotta admit I'm only getting because I need all of the dinobots sitting on my shelf together knighting it up. I need to find a giant robot horse for them to joust on...

Edit: Nevermind. Naturally robot knights that turn into robot dinosaurs would joust from the back of robot dinosaurs. Obvious in retrospect.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2014

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I actually kinda of like Slog too. I was mainly getting him because I wanted to complete the team but he's got a weird sort of character to me. While the figure has some serious issues I feel like he's better than a couple of the other dinobots. Better than slash for sure.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
When I saw that I actually had assumed I had missed an announcement for a Metalhawk figure. But now looking I see the wings aren't actually the arms on that guy.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So maybe an odd request but I'd like to dip my toe in the 3rd party pool but there have been quite a few in recent years and while I've read everyone's opinions on each in that time it's all kinda a blur.

Can anyone recommend a few that are a decent intersection between quality and price? I'd like to not spend a ton and I'm assuming some older releases are more expensive now just due to supply.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for the 3P suggestions. Any recommended sellers or rather any to explicitly avoid? Or should I just shop around?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Ok, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TrashTalk and Cogs 2 pack. They do look pretty solid and seemed reasonable to me.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Clearly everyone in MP scale is the only real solution. Even Especially Beast Wars.

I would seriously be thrilled if we got say Megatron and like Waspinator. Actually any of the bugs seems like they might be awesome for MP form since it'd be easier to hide segmentation I'd think.

Nothing with fur though. Bleh.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Cogwheel and Trash-talk just arrived and I'm pretty thrilled with the results. Pretty excellent recommendation. My only quibble really is the tightness of the spot where the wrists snap into place. Other than that they are fantastic.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Wish I had a better camera for this. I feel like I need to construct a bar out of Lego...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So some folks may find it an odd choice but I pulled the trigger on Quantron which should arrive today.

Computron was the only complete combiner I had as a kid (aside from a broken Devastator) and as a kid I had built him up in my head as the ultimate bad rear end in the toy box. Him and Powermaster Prime would go on buddy adventures on the stair case wading through hordes of decepticons, lego creatures, and the Shredder.

The Maketoys one seems more a reimagining than a super faithful recreation but that kinda suits my feelings about the character.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
drat! No dog fortunately and my cat is too fat and lazy to even knock it off a shelf. That's gotta be a kick in the nuts though to find that. :(

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
When I was a kid our cat would chew anything plastic (which left me with quite a few ruined TMNT accessories) but my current cat doesn't care if it's not cardboard or paper. Makes me nervous about getting another cat some time though. We most assuredly will. It could be the next devourer of plastic katana and tiny missles!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I'm starting to see how 3rd party figures could be habit forming.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So I'm considering picking up Green Giant to do battle with Quantron. I took a look at it and Hercules and I REALLY wasn't digging the look of hercules.

Anyone have Green Giant that can offer some opinions on how good/bad an idea it is to grab one?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I saw some references to the head on Green Giant being derpy but the pictures that I've seen haven't really bothered me.

While it would be awesome if Hasbro put out an official titan class one even then I have my doubts about how great it'll be. The combiners they've done all strike me as a bit simplistic. Particularly as far as posability is concerned.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger. It looks like it's supposed to be back in stock at BBTS this month sometime maybe? I've not used them a ton but my few prior preorders went fine.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah. With the figure you get neutral face and :D face.

Overall I really like the figure but do agree the Daniel figure feels pretty unneeded and his little blank face is decidedly unmasterpiece feeling.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
The transformation is not overly simple but the overall feel of the figure seems simple if that makes sense. I'm not personally finding the new RID stuff to be very visually interesting. I think these may just be not for me really.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, it seems pretty dubious to me. Other than being figures of the same characters the 3P versions and the Hasbro versions aren't really in the same league are they? I'm thrilled we're getting the combiner wars stuff and I don't see how it replaces the 3P versions considering the vast difference in detail/engineering.

Were there a Computron to come out of this I'd just put it next to Quantron on my shelf...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Oh, no I think it's more of a collective eye roll at those folks elsewhere who are making a big deal of it.

There has clearly always been a place for toys of the same fictional character at different price points if literally any other toy line is an indicator.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Not that I think most anyone here cares but it looks like Transformers Universe is dead or will be as of January.

I gave it a passing try and while I liked the concept the execution was kinda weak and really wasn't just a purely PvP WfC/FoC game like I wanted. It looks like if you spent any money at all on it it's getting refunded which is nice of them.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
It is a cool statue. I had assumed it wouldn't actually go out till release though. I would guess they'd have addressed it in the letter otherwise.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
You can just try here. They've always worked great for me.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23994&mode=retail

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah I missed the coupon bit.

I'll admit I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to this stuff so this:

Knormal posted:

Time to camp the page.

Is mainly why I'm ok with paying a little extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Green Giant available again at BBTS right now if anyone was waiting for it. Of course now that there might be an official Devastator I suppose that may factor into it's desirability.

I am picking it up myself but I'll have to let it sit in my POL till I'm done traveling for the holidays.