Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Who is GoShooter and why is Silverbolt only third? :mad:

He's a Headmaster Jr. from Masterforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Keldroc posted:

I already mentioned the SDCC exclusive. Read the thread before you post.

None of the Constructicons look like any other characters, and releasing a $150 combiner of obscure characters that don't look anything like themselves is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. These are one-use molds due to their specialized nature, and Hasbro has a price point to meet, and so they did, just like with Metroplex. If Metroplex had to separate into six other robots, they'd have had some hollow limbs on them, too.

There's nothing disingenuous about it, you just don't know what you're talking about regarding Hercules and his ilk. Unless it's made out of airgel or something, an 18-inch combiner figure is going to be easily twice as heavy as Hercules, if not more. None of what the third parties have done is comparable to the Hasbro Devastator in terms of size and weight, plus the third parties are routinely using stronger plastic than Hasbro. It doesn't even need to be "double the price" to be unfeasible for Hasbro. Just adding $50 to the MSRP puts this set into non-existence.

There's nothing lazy about the Titan Devastator, and people who think there is are wrong. Not of a different opinion. You're wrong. For the price of 1 1/2 Hercules robots, you get the largest combiner in the franchise's history, that is also taller than any third party combiner yet released. Unlike the molds for the other Combiner Wars figures, which can be re-used over and over to maximize revenue vs. cost (Firefly mold - 4 uses, Alpha Bravo mold - at least 2 uses, Silverbolt mold - at least 2 uses, Motormaster mold - 3 uses, etc.), the Constructicons are only useful once, as themselves. You get one recolor to use as a con exclusive that will no doubt be produced simultaneously with the green one. Basically you have to make all your money on this high ticket item all at once, so the price parameters are concrete and immovable. On top of that the combined figure has to be balanced, not be insanely heavy, survive the drop test, and have its six components separate and turn into reasonable representations of the individual Constructicons. Yes, some compromises were made, but the other options here were 1) Don't make it at all, and 2) Don't give the six components robot modes at all. I'd say they chose the best option available.

So I say shame on the haters for expecting ridiculous things. I am hardly one to excuse Hasbro for laziness or incompetence when it comes to combiners. I have taken them to task over and over for lovely combiners, and I probably own more third party combiners than anyone else in the thread, but that Titan Devastator is way beyond what I thought Hasbro would ever deliver to retail, especially for the price point. I'm not sure if I'll buy one, since that would be the fifth drat Devastator in my collection, and I don't even really like the Constructicons all that much, but if I don't buy it, it certainly won't be because I think Hasbro is being somehow "lazy" by producing one of their most ambitious projects ever attempted in the Transformers line.

100% this. At first I was a little dissappointed with the articulation. But when you think on what Hasbro is accomplishing here, a few missing points of articulation are very forgivable. And besides, Devastator looks to be quite poseable and most folks will likely display him in combined mode anyway.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 16, 2015

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Sockser posted:

Found my fourth combiner limb at a distant TRU.

At this point, I may have to give up the instant gratification factor and .... Buy Silverbolt online :smith:

I've completely given up on brick and morter shopping for figures. I just don't have the time and, with free shipping and no sales tax, it's cheaper to get whatever I want online.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

The Taint Reaper posted:

Stop it Takara, stop it, stop it right the gently caress now!
http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/05/takara-unite-warriors-bruticus-rumor-new-blast-off-295775

Hasbro better announce Groove, they can't just leave us hanging. With all these rumored Takara limbs, you really do have enough to build a whole seperate combiner.

I can't imagine Hasbro not getting some mileage out of the mold. They've done it twice already...

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

DisposableHero posted:

Finally received and got to play with Combiner Wars Devs for a bit. I have to say the elbow situation actually doesn't bother me at all. The figures are so large the elbows don't have that flimsy feel the pictures gave them. The couple with no real elbows do bug me a little but it really feels like a minor gripe given the quality of the whole thing. I still prefer the look and detail of Green Giant but Hasbro Devs is super playable and fun to transform and combine. They will hang out on the shelf being giant green bros.

This. I still plan on getting the PE upgrade set, but when I got Devs in hand I found the elbow situation to be less of an issue than I thought it would. These guys each have such great personality that one can overlook the occasional lack of articulation.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Sentinel Red posted:

So instead of simply gazing adoringly at the various tat I have, I had a proper muckabout with some of them yesterday, transforming them for the first time in aaaaaaages and without referring to instructions. Ultra Magnus is just so goddamn clever, it's the amazing the way the cab panels form up and become almost a replica of MP10, in pure engineering terms he's a wonder. Though remembering what someone had said about snapping his crotchplate, I was very careful when moving it back and forth between positions. Got him and Hot Rod just hanging out together and they look so good.

Then I turned to Quakewave, put him in gun mode for a bit, then decided to change him back and that's where the trouble began - his left leg got completely stuck and refused to extend. After several attempts and nervous glances at the hip part, which looked like it was seriously straining, I dug out a tiny screwdriver to remove all the screws in the lower leg but even then the panels would barely prise open and it remained locked in place. In the end, I just turned the leg around a few times then gave it a sharp, sudden snap pull and thankfully it popped out but you can see marks all along the thigh where something inside caught and scratched the crap out of it. Then I read something today about someone with Quakeblast having the same problem this morning only their guy's leg came clean off and now I think I'm very much sold on MP Shockwave if only for having a completely different leg transformation to the other two that completely bypasses the issue.

That is exactly why my Quakewave will never see gun mode again. When mine got stuck I was hoping there was a leg release a la MP-10. I thought "that would make sense", but no dice. The screwdriver was the only solution.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Goldskull posted:

Seems a bunch of retailers are actively telling customers not to buy Omnigonix 3P Sunstreaker, because it's shite. First time I've seen that happen, I'll give them their due for honesty.

I had to go see this for myself. Jeez, the figure must be REALLY bad to warrant "buy at your own risk" statements. BBTS just mentions the type of plastic, but TF Source right out says the figure will probably break.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I was on the fence about Fort Max before, but now I'm really leaning torwards "meh".

I'll have to see a few more reviews before I make a final decision, though.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 21, 2016

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'd settle for a decent place to store the tail in not mode but on the other hand he's AWESOME. I'm not trying to start some dumb fight if anyone is a huge fan of the FP headmasters but I straight up like these more. Not "for the price" even, I just plain like them more than the FP headmasters I've owned (Chromedome and Weirdwolf). Everything tabs together better, the sculpts seem sharper, the overall aesthetic is more appealing to me....yep. These are really great deluxes.

(Except Scourge, who I am only getting more dissatisfied with.)

I saw Scourge today at Target and he was an easy pass. Blurr, however, ended up being an insta-buy after originally not wanting him. He's amazing in person and his Titan Master head is unobtrusive enough to where from many angles his head isn't boxy (unlike Scourge).

Got Hardhead and Skullmasher too and both are awesome as others have already said.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Blackheart posted:

Is there any way so Skullsmasher can hold the tail as a shield? It kinda looks like one instead of a weird gun.

If I'm remembering correctly is wave 2 Chromedome, Weirdwolf, Mindwipe and Highbrow? Sentinel Prime is getting some good praise but I'll hold for Astrotrain. it bugs me that Takara still hasn't shown theirs even if it's easy to predict how it will look.

The tiny hole on the bottom of the inner handle of the tail can peg on to the Titan Master stand on his forearm. However it's a tight fit and causes stressmarks on the bottom of that handle.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Secht posted:

My Titan Returns Fort Max showed up yesterday. I think he's a big fat mess of meh to be honest. His legs are a pain in the rear end and feel very hollow. He's missing all the charm and little things that make the original so enjoyable. So much just feels wasted.

Cerebros is really the main highlight. He's a good figure. All in all, I wish I had saved my money honestly.

This is exactly why I'm skipping him. To me he just feels too much like Metroplex is playing pretend dress up in a half baked Fort Max costume.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Acne Rain posted:

Galvatron's base mode is actually more acceptable than his jet mode

E: Though Croc Town is just kinda sad, what are you supposed to be Skullcruncher, a gator sausage stand?

Dude's gotta have something to do after the war.

Galvatron's "base" mode kinda looks like a throne to me... But then again, describing what these "bases" look like is akin to describing what clouds look like: everyone is goinng to see something different out of a lot of nothing.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
That Gnaw is adorable and for some reason I'm really digging that new Megs. Can't quite put my finger on why but I'm stoked.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Dunno much about Kamen Rider, but got my TR Brainsorm today from Chosen Prime (figured the extra cost was worth not having to hunt for him 'cuz I don't have time for that). I really liked the Blurr version of the mold, but it works even better for Brainstorm. My only real complaint is the paint on the vehicle nose/Titan Master gun thingy is THICK and feels like something I handpainted (which I am pretty terrible at).

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

In-laws want to buy me a present for my birthday: Which bot is a better use of their mold, MP Ratchet or Ironhide?

I'd say Ironhide. The two faces Ratchet comes with are pretty derpy.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, in the last few pages they've been linked, they're like 15 bucks a set which isn't bad at all. The hands aren't the best since they don't have angle tilts for splaying the fingers sideways like the nonnef ones do, but they're not stupidly fat mitts like the nonnef ones either.

The feet though, they're fantastic and really stable. I will probably buy more.

Will do!

I ordered a pair of the KO PE hands and feet for UW Computron to see if they were worth it to get for the other guys... They totally are. I was pleasently surprised at the quality for a KO of a third party release.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

I've never had so much buyers remorse in my life.

The Takara version is the only version I'd consider getting of TR Fort Max because it feels the least like Metroplex playing dress up. That price tho...

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, outside of the $50 Victorion and $90 Fort Max, it's been kind of a wet fart for Transformers deals, hasn't it? Lego's Black Friday stuff was crap too, just 20% off stuff in the sales and deals section for the most part.

There was the $90 Masterpiece Shockwave at Toy Dojo. Almost got him, but since I'm perfectly happy with Quakewave, I passed.

I did finally break down and order the $90 Fort Max. I figured he won't go much lower than that.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

Still watching Masterforce and realized one of my cats was missing. He's my most social and loving cat, if I'm sitting down he has to be in my lap. I found him curled up in a closet, picked him up and went back to the couch. He stayed there with me for about 10 minutes and then he got up and left. I found him back in the closet.

So I figure my cat doesn't like the sound of Japanese and is a huge racist.

My dog is the same way. Something about it makes her uneasy. She also dislikes the Japanese faction flip scene change, but is fine with the U.S. one. Go figure...

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Why cookie Rocket posted:

This latest wave of reveals seems like the thing I'll look back at "the time when I realized I was done with transformers." I don't even have any complaints, they just seem so bleh. Another Jazz, another Prime, even another Skullgrin. And none of the engineering seems very daring. I keep buying TFs but I don't end up catching the dragon as often as I used to. :/

I was thinking the same thing. While I certainly look forward to Beachcomber and Dreadwing, the others feel very meh to me.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Ok, OpOp and what I've seen of the Abominus guys look good. Hun-Gurr is a little funky but I dig it nonetheless.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 10, 2017

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

I got TLK deluxe Cogman and he's freaking great. His car mode looks excellent and tabs together well without goofy panel gaps or other things that would ruin it, and his robot mode (and head) have a lot of really nice paint that bring out the even nicer sculpted details. Hands down the best toy in the TLK line (and there were some others I liked a lot as well).

Also TR Seaspray is quite possibly my favorite Transformers toy period. I freaking love him.

Cogman is the only TLK figure I actually want. Did you happen to find him in the wild or did you get him online?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

Absolutely. Better looking in both modes, less fiddly and more fun transformation in both directions, better paint apps.

It helps that I thought Cogman was the best part of TLK movie. His voice actor and motion capture performer must have had a field day playing him, and I hope Cogman comes back in the next movie somehow.

I'm confident I'll never see him in the wild so I paid $30 for him on eBay and don't regret it.

Which seller did you buy from? A lot of the ones I see are sketchy, low-feedback sellers in China.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

It looks like he's bumped his price up a little bit, but this is who I bought it from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263326603279

Thanks! I grabbed one. I figure that's still not too bad a price for him.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Hey Xenomrph, thank you for the tip on that eBay Cogman seller. Mine arrived today, way earlier than expected, and he is perfect.

Cogman has got to be one of my top five fave figures of the last year. He's got a fun transformation, decent paint apps, and tons of little details all over him. Plus, he can sit TWO Titan Masters in his altmode.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
So I picked up Cog and Flywheels from Target today. After fiddling with them, I gotta say, Cog is stupid fun. Every bit of him turns into a weapon... Every bit.

The Cybertronian war has escalated to the point where even crotches are weaponized.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 2, 2018

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

DisposableHero posted:

Mine should be coming soon. I got an Amazon JP preorder in at around $230 back when it was announced. Guess I'll be finding out before long!

Me too! Mine should be here Wednesday. It was my first time ordering from Amazon Japan and I am very impressed with the price savings and speed of shipping.

Anywho, while the breakage thing might be isolated, the first transformation of ol' Megs will still be done very carefully.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

He’s not Masterpiece Wheeljack, the best Wheeljack ever made.

This is actually the reason I passed on him. Masterpiece Wheeljack is drat near perfect and having a second Wheeljack seemed pointless.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

On that note what is the best way to search through BBTS sales because they have thousands of stuff and I only want third party transformers

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the sale page there are filters you can use to narrow the selection.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How do you all order stuff from Japanese Amazon? Are there special tricks?

You can change the location and language in your account settings. FYI, not everything is shipped to the US, so order carefully. Nowadays if I REALLY want a Masterpiece I'll order it from Amazon.jp since there's no importer markup.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Good Listener posted:

Friends and I finished our watch of the Headmasters anime the other night. That's a reeeeal bad show. We exacerbated it with the omni dub sure but I have a feeling that bad dubbing was the only thing keeping us sane.

Yeah, iirc it's a bunch of warmed over unused stories from the American run that were filtered through Japan. I always thought it weird that Arcee goes from Frontline fighter to secretary. Also the Autobot monsterbots are clowns.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

It is the one true continuity.

In 30 years it'll be the new G1 and people will loudly complain if something doesn't comply with its esthetics.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Goddamn the TFW thread on the new Arcee stock photos makes my brain hurt. I should have known better than to look.

We need to see ALL the Masterpiece figures in those poses. I mean, how else will I know if MP Optimus V3 is worth it?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Quote is not edit. Ignore this.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 8, 2020

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Arquinsiel posted:

Animated Bumblebee was always a cop. It's just that the Animated series used some weird stuff like "our cop cars are yellow"... or it was just Fanzone's car getting exploded being a running joke.

It's been a while, but iirc it was Fanzone's car BB scanned and the red light is one of those detachable ones you see them slap on in the old movies.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Knormal posted:

Wow, the Target website said they had it in stock at my local Target, and they actually did! Maybe the future finally is here. Thanks for posting this, since otherwise I wouldn't have gone out today.

Test your luck:
https://www.target.com/p/transformers-generations-war-for-cybertron-earthrise-voyager-wfc-e29-seeker-2-pack/-/A-78917026

Target's website is pretty good for the Hasbro stuff. (Neca not so much). That's how I was able to snag the carbonized Black Series Mando, and I was able to buy it online and pickup in store the same day.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I don't post as often nowadays as I used to, but I accepted the Discord. Thanks for putting together a life boat in case SA goes down with it's disgraced captain.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
So my MP-49 Nemesis Prime arrived from Amazon Japan today. It's my first experience with the mold and... Holy hell was that transformation unfun. Like, it was WORK. I dig what they're trying to do and my hat is off to them for what they accomplished, but I am almost wholly turned off to Masterpiece Transformers because of that transformation.

That and the price, but with that transformation I see why they're expensive now. (I only bought MP-49 because I collect Nemesis Primes.)

Edit: on the flip side, my Sky Lynx and Scorponok also arrived today. Both are fantastic. Scorpy is a BIG boy and very solid. Sky Lynx is a ton of fun to mess around with and he has a TON of personality.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 29, 2020

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Open Marriage Night posted:

Lemme see them Nemies.

Oh sure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Burkion posted:

We'll see if prices remain reasonable.

I'm in a bit of a toy funk of late- I've mentioned before that I was collecting all the NECA Godzillas, and doing a fair job of keeping up with them. Then the license got yanked away from them which they announced just as they released the last two back to back, and getting them is just irresponsible at this point.

So now the one thing I was seriously collecting and keeping up with is not only over, but I can't even reasonably get the last two pieces of the whole thing. It's very frustrating and I've been glancing at something else I could try to collect instead.

Plan Own All Predakings isn't looking too bad

That bummed me out too. The Neca Godzillas were affordable and accessible, unlike the Japanese ones which are super expensive.