Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Oh my god Maketoys Paladin/Chaos is never coming out, is it? :( I wouldn't mind so much except that my Fansproject not-Drag Strip and not-Dead End are bundled with it.

I am never pre-order-stacking toys from different companies ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Rei_ posted:

I have Paladin/Chaos, he's loving awesome. Maybe he was only available at cons?

He was delayed, ostensibly due to some manufacturing/design problem or other. But I hold out hope...

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Pre-order up for Unique Toys Galvatron.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=UQT10007&mode=retail

I think I like the alt-mode? I'm not sure. Anyway that's a steep asking price.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Rage posted:

BBTS updated their front page saying MakeToys Chaos is arriving soon, so they must have gotten their poo poo together at the factory.

I choose to believe this happened because I just split up my order at TFSource, and life enjoys taking its little dumps.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

So, Saturday, my long-delayed shipment of FansProject Last Chance and Down Shift arrived (I finally separated them from Chaos/Paladin), as well as MP Bluestreak and Prowl. Also, V-Stock had a 33% off sale on all pre-owned toys and I picked up an Optimus Primal for 20 bucks.

So, that was my weekend.

Last Chance (Deadend) and Down Shift (Dragstrip) are both fantastic little buggers. This line of toys feels incredibly fragile though, so their delicate engineering and super-tight fits make you feel like you are going to break them at any given moment, especially in the early stages from alt-mode to robot (or the late stages of the opposite). However, as fragile as they feel, they act really sturdy, and these guys are nowhere nearly as bad as Car Crash (Breakdown) is in terms of having to expend all your possible finger strength ever to transform him.

They are super-poseable, look great in both modes, and have fun transformations (outside of the terror-aspect) that make it enjoyable to transform a car. That's no easy feat after fifteen thousand car transformations in the history of these toys. I look forward to non-Motormaster!

MP Bluestreak and Prowl
are both loving fantastic, but you know this already. I will probably end up getting whatever shoulder-cannon upgrades come out for them (they do look a little dinky), and their feet are sort of tough to figure out at first, but on the whole they look fantastic. Their transformations are sort of...involved? I don't know. I'm not sure I've quite figured out the method yet. Especially when I'm doing the top half of the torso, I feel like I'm spinning plates a bit, and then it all comes together in this beautiful package so I don't care that much. I want whatever add-on that lets Prowl say "Pfft" forever and ever.

I'm also definitely getting Smokescreen now, no question.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Rage posted:

Rhinox and Double Dealer are up for pre-order on HTS, theres a 20% and free shipping code right now too Family2013

Rhinox
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers-generations-30th-anniversary-voyager-class-rhinox-figure?BR=496&ID=32484

Double Dealer
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers-generations-30th-anniversary-voyager-class-decepticon-doubledealer-figure?BR=496&ID=32483

Picked up both of those and all the legends packs for $69 shipped. Not bad.

Thanks for this! I'm going to hold off on Double Dealer for now, but Rhinox looks awesome.

Also, I'll be goddamned, Chaos/Paladin is finally in stock at TFSource. You boys be careful you don't run into any Rapture today.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

For sets: TFC Hercules

Individually? Oh god, so hard. MP Prowl, DOTM Skyhammer, ROTF Seaspray, Generations Springer, FP Steelcore, or Hexatron...maybe?

They are all my children do not ask me to choose.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I like Kreo fine and I'm a huge Lego fan. For whatever reason, though, Wal-Mart and Target around me have stopped selling them, so the only place I can find them is at Toys R Us, where I almost never go. But, I've noticed that the Kreo sets often are discounted at buy one, get one half off or buy one get one free.

I haven't bought any of the Beast Wars sets, though I did really like Sentinel Prime, Starscream, and Devastator.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I'm sure Roberts will write them both in again at some point so he can have them brutally murdered.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Let's pretend for a second that I'm not concerned with quality and I just want to experience some fiction where robots turn into animals and vice versa. I've seen all of Beast Wars (the 3 US seasons) and Beast Machines. Where do I go from there--be it comic, television, or whatever? I know that Japanese Beast Wars exists but I don't have any idea how to begin.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Black Friday Deals ITT:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TOW10001&mode=retail

ToyWorld Aurora for 35 bucks is a steal. I paid twice that (I think) and I love him to death.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN14770&mode=retail

Crazy loving Mickey Mouse combiner for $120. I may have trouble not getting this.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/list.aspx?list=14629

Just the whole list.

Third-party Hardhead is once again calling my name at $70. I have resisted in the past. WILL I CONTINUE TO BE STRONG?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

None of the things you are saying stop Donald Duck from transforming into an arm.

(no I am not going to get it. But I am just happy that it exists, even if it is terrible)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah, I mean, those movies make SO MUCH money, guys. Like, phenomenally huge amounts of money. Our opinion really, really does not matter regardless of what kind of grognards we happen to be because we'll all end up watching the films anyway, more than likely.

The only way you'll ever see any kind of faithful TF feature film at this point is if the next one loses some ungodly amount of money and Michael Bay is arrested as a pedophile (or something else that forever ruins his name and style of directing). Say what you will about Bay, but I would think most people can agree he knows how to make tons of cash and make everything look good while he's doing it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I remember reading once that the original transformers script was all about the bots, and Bay hated it, so the rewrites just added more and more G.I. Joe-type stuff until he dug it. Something like that, anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Wait, what are first-party toys? Are they transformers made by actual transformers?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have a great Secret Santa! Check out all this loot!

Even better, it all came in a box--which I will now use for my own giftee! Woooooo free box

Thanks!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I got Skids today and oh my god I love him so much.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Rythe posted:

Just got my Secret Santa presents from my mysterious Transformer goon.

I know I got a Starscream and a Springer, I think Starscream is from the Fall of Cybertron but not sure about the Springer. I am clueless about the tank guy, he has a sweet samurai vibe going on with him and a really neat hidden sword sheath in the tank turret. To top off the great Transformers I got that awesome Lego creator set and it is amazing I don't have that already, since my Lego collection is stupid big.

Thanks a million for the great toys, I really like the way Springer looks in his helicopter form, he will look great next to the Generations Springer.

Is there a archive of Transformers instructions? I have looked around and haven;t really found one, would be nice for the tank guy, he has a bit going on in the transforming parts.

You're welcome! I'm glad you dig all that stuff, and I'm happy it got there before Christmas. I really enjoyed the Lego Thundercracker a whole back and I was hoping you didn't have him already.

I'm sorry I forgot the instructions; I just thought of including them today. I keep them obsessively so I feel pretty dumb. Blergh.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Oh man, TFChiCon would only be like a five hour drive for me. I may do that; sounds fun.

Also Chicago-style pizza is loving excellent.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Keldroc (or anybody else), what are your thoughts about Orion Pax? He looks great, but my favorite feature of his IDW design (shoulder wheeeels) not being there sort of soured him for me.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up a bit when I hear people asking, "Why does it need gender at all? Let's do away with gender altogether." Notwithstanding the good points already stated about science fiction being a lens through which to examine humanity, that kind of thinking is often problematic because what's really being suggested by "let's take away all the gender" is, "let's normalize everything and everyone," which means "let's make everything and everyone inherently male," because that is what is "normal" in Western society.

So, this quickly becomes problematic because the male perspective is seen as more valid when addressing ideas of gender, which is even more problematic in sci-fi, which is a realm where we should ideally be looking toward possible worlds. If all the possible worlds we envision are male-gender dominated without that being a question, well...that starts to suggest some gross things about our current and future cultures.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a story about a race of (almost entirely) male-looking characters (like three-quarters of whom transform into either phallic symbols or over-compensatory vehicles), but it's nicer when that story has some sense of self-awareness about it. The eyes of the authors seem to have been more focused on class than race or gender as of late, imo, which has fit nicely, but that discussion can only go on for so long without really reeling in the other two big fish.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't get "rescue vehicle" out of that, although I suppose a white/black paint job and a red/blue lightbar can make just about anything a rescue vehicle. With Streetwise I'm mostly unimpressed by the very plain paint job. Tons of blank, dull white, and he lacks Streetwise's trademark black spoiler. At the very least, it looks like these guys are going to need serious Reprolabeling.

Wow you are not kidding. I think I like the robot mode, but from a distance that alt mode looks like the latest Legends-class Prowl. Also that leg mode looks awfully...empty. Hopefully it attaches to some other leg portion for thickness?

I kind of soured on not-Superion three figures in, so I'll definitely wait and see with this. I'm probably going to sell them soon, along with a few other bots.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I got a KO Red Alert a few weeks ago. His back end doesn't peg together great in alt-mode but other than that he looks terrific standing next to my MP Sideswipe.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

So, here's an obscure transforming toy question--when I was a very young kid, I had a dump truck transformer. I hope you'll bear with me, because I was like 4 or 5, so this would be in the late 80s to early 90s, so my memory is fairly hazy.

I don't think it was actually affiliated with the transformers, but they were clearly trying to channel Optimus Prime. I want to say the legs had all four wheels, and the arms were the bed of the truck. I could completely wrong, though--it may have been a different vehicle altogether, though my gut tells me dump truck.

I remember yellow being prominent in the color scheme...and that's about it. There were probably other colors, maybe not even yellow. It made big ratchety sounds when it transformed and I loved it; I'd like to find out what the hell it was so maybe I can buy one for my nephews on eBay.

I know this is unspecific as hell, but does it ring any bells for anybody?

Edit: pretty sure it was a Go-Bot Dump Truck. Wow I just found that right the hell away

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

catch22 posted:

How good are the MP car knock offs? Like, barely indistinguishable from the real ones? And is their a preferred source for them?

You can find them on eBay pretty easy. Just search for "MP Red Alert" or whatever, and buy the $30 one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Skyhammer is legit one of my favorite TFs and I hold others to his standard. Everyone should have one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cassa posted:

For those of you whom have ordered from TFSource before, what's their turn around time on orders like?

I've found them to be a lot quicker than BBTS. Generally I like them better than BBTS (which is the only other store I've used for TFs besides Hasbro ToyShop). Someone on this thread had a horrible experience with them being responsible for a hacked credit card, but I've always used PayPal so I've had no problems. My general experience with them is basically that if I ordered something tomorrow that was in stock, I would get it on Saturday.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Partsforming be damned, that PE Warden is one slick-rear end looking motherfucker and I want him.

Has there been any word on whether someone was going to make a faceplate for the Fansproject not-Brainstorm? That's the only reason I haven't picked him up already (also because I am poor and should not buy so much plastic).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Okay, so that tab on Diesel that is supposed to be really easy to break?

It is really easy to break. I stopped paying close attention for like ten seconds and snip snap. I don't think it matters all that much, as there's still a ball joint to keep it in place, but I'm pretty annoyed.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Rage posted:

Mind taking some pictures? Haven't ordered mine yet but I'd like to know what's up before I fiddle with him.

I'd be happy to do it tomorrow, definitely. Basically, if you watch peaugh's video (right at like the half-hour mark), and he points out how the back "wing" pieces are really hard to maneuver without stressing certain tabs, that's what I'm talking about.

If you're anxious for pics I think someone on the 2005 boards posted the exact same problem. It doesn't seem to be that great of a tiny joint.

Edit: here's a link with a picture:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/635944-fansproject-stunticons-menasor-aka-m3-intimidator-2039.html

I only got to spend a little time with the big guy tonight but I have enjoyed him a lot so far, that issue notwithstanding. He looks great and I really dig how the trailer becomes so many different bits. I know that's not everybody's bag but I really dig trailers becoming battle armor and extra guns and such.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 22, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Arsenal_12 posted:

This is exactly how I'm feeling. This and Glacial Lord are the only third party combiners I've bought and don't want to back out now.

I do feel like a 120/150 dollar toy shouldn't have these issues, though.

I agree. I mean, at the price point you're also expected to take a certain amount of care of your toys, but at the same time, the poo poo shouldn't be so prone to breaking in what was perfectly normal, otherwise safe transforming on my lap.

In any case, it's not a large tab, nor does it really seem to have been necessary for combined or robot mode at all. I don't know about alt mode, but I doubt it was a must-have piece for that either, and aesthetically there's almost no perceptible difference.

So should that piece be that easy to break? Absolutely not. Am I still glad I have him? Totally.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

No Your Other Left posted:

They also shouldn't be made primarily of fragile panels or have so much combiner kibble that you can leave out the leg dudes.

"An essential part of the aesthetic they were attempting and clearly a foundation of the main frame" is a weird definition of kibble. I mean I get it if you don't like the partsforming nature of it, but it's not like he's got a entire trailer hanging off his backside.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

They had a chance to make a non-partsforming Voyager sized Motormaster and leg dudes that actually became legs but instead they just stuck all the leg parts into Motormaster. It was okay for Colossus because that was a really early third party combiner and was built around existing molds, but now that we have stuff like TFC's Hercules and Uranos it just feels lazy.

It's really an aesthetic choice, man. To me, he looks like some mad scientist bot who gathered up all the cars he could find to jam on his body. I like it a lot. I like Hercules too. They are different things with different attempts to complete a picture of a bot.

It seems weird to me to judge it for something that it wasn't trying to do? That's like watching Adventure Time and wondering why no one is ever trying to solve murder mysteries.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah it's a cool aesthetic, but the design philosophy is a bit of a letdown. I was hoping that now that they got to make an entirely new combiner, they'd use the lack of restraints to make something more coherent and self-contained. Why couldn't the back of the shins have been integrated into Diesel's transformation scheme instead of just turning into detached parts or massive blocks plugged onto his shoulders? Why couldn't the foot parts have been integrated into the leg dudes? (Although thinking about it that second part would have gotten in the way of the "any of the smaller members can be an arm" thing they did, which is pretty dang neat and creative too.) They could have kept the same visual style without taking the shortcut of partsforming.

And if they had to partsform, why not make the extra parts into something interesting that stood on its own, like the little ship that Micromaster Devestator makes out of its combiner kibble? The fists being detachable parts is fine since it enables the cool arm swapping gimmick, and the rest of the members of the team are well done, but Diesel could have been done way better.

I don't know man, I like the way the trailer bits turn into enormous gently caress-off cannons on MotorMaster. In my mind, it fits with that mad scientist idea--he's all like, "I WANT TO HAVE ALL THE POSSIBLE PARTS ON MY BODY, APPROPRIATENESS BE DAMNED!"

The extra parts do stand on their own, in my mind. Extra missile launchers and swords and shotguns that combine to make a sniper gun? Hooraaay! I mean, I get what you're saying about extra little alt modes, but honestly I just don't think partsforming bothers me very much. I understand why it gets to others--because just like you I dig a cool toy that doesn't need things to detach and shift around before they come back on again. But when it happens, I am pleased if the result looks good.

I imagine that the price point had something to do with the manner in which it all combines, though. It's pretty low for third-party, outside of MotorMaster.

quote:

But they do? :confused:

e;fb on the murder thing

I was going to say "hardcore loving" instead, but I didn't want to bring up that image in everyone's mind so I went for another genre. I had a feeling I was walking into a trap of my own design.

Anyway now I have to watch that episode.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Didn't really think about it that way. Now that you mention it though, that's pretty much the approach Energon Bruticus took too, and that's awesome. Good point about the budget too.

Everybody's got a cool opinion. Thank you for sharing yours! I dig it.

Also, Ka0, you suggested a cool fix for not-Brainstorm, and thank you for that. I probably will not do it because I am the least crafty man on Earth.

Anyway, here are some pictures of what happened with my Intimidator:

That's the broken bit, next to the ball joint. It's just that little shock of white there in the corner above the wheel.

Just a wider view of the part. The tab would be extending out toward the ball joint if it wasn't broken.

Different view of the "wing." You can see pretty clearly how that big black oval circles back up around to make the back wheels.

This is with the broken piece attached--works perfectly fine and isn't noticeable at all.

I was thinking earlier that 3rd-party transformers are sort of what would happen if all those rad Lego designers figured out a way to legally mass-produce and sell their incredible designs. They would (and do) break so many rules of Lego-standard design for the sake of aesthetic that you look at the standard stuff and go, "oh, that's why those rules are there."

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I found a Skids and Waspinator, but both times they were the last of their kind on the shelves.

I just want a Swerve and Cosmos now.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I have the Kabaya kit! I love that IDW FortMax look though. I realise I'll almost never transform him.

I'm having the same issue. However, with a brand new MP-08 (Grimlock!) sitting on my coffee table, and having just finished not-Menasor, it's very hard to justify another $150+ purchase for toys when I was just spending my rear end off all last year.

Maybe I'll pick him up at TFCon in Chicago or something--or maybe I'll be able to save for car repairs! It's a mystery.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah the nature of the not-Stunticons is that they're all sort of bastards in their own way. There's a lot of forcing, especially with the not-Breakdown. Last Chance and T-Bone are the best of the bunch, I think, at least in terms of transformability.

I can't quite recall exactly, but I think turning Down Force's feet inward as I was trying to get the feet in helped a lot. I will say that, as time went on and I transformed them a few more times, they each got much easier to do.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cassa posted:

True enough. I did manage to bend two of the tabs on the back kibble because I'm dumb and there's not a whole lot of room.

I do seem to be missing a few pieces to make his sniper rifle, the barrel pieces are nowhere to be seen, nor is the bit that joins the two shotguns.

Least his sword looks awesome.

Wow, you're missing that whole piece? I got a whole extra one with mine (I'm guessing because the original had a broken tab on it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

Putting Diesel together took me almost three hours. I never want to take him out of combined mode again because I don't want to ever have to transform that thing.

I really enjoyed transforming him precisely because he took so long. But I despise having nothing to do, and so a robot/combiner that is like a "project" gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is something we used to do as kids. :3:

Yeah, that's right...as kids. :cripes: