Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Took me forever to find Senator Shockwave and I am sad there's not a stand-alone toy where his paint job changes with water like the old-school Hot Wheels or Barbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, I loving love Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, but ngl, it would be devastating (no pun intended) to have the former be your dad and use the Prime voice when he was disappointed in something you did. You would expect that from Megatron or Soundwave. From Prime, it would just hurt.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

Read issue 4 of Transformers.

Holy poo poo x 5!

It's good. It's freaking good.

And did I mention it will get a few reactions?

Don't sleep on this relaunch.

It might be one of the best takes on the bots so far.

Spoil me anything good about our favorite senator Shockwave?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah. New comic is going in it’s own completely new direction. It’s pretty awesome so far. I really have no idea what it’s doing.

What's the name of the new one?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

[*]Senator Shockwave - After initially ignoring the Siege seeker mold, I ended up getting two of it this year and really liking them both. Senator Shockwave has a really cool "What-If" vibe that makes me imagine he's from a timeline where he ended up becoming Shocktimus Prime or something, with Orion Pax filling the up-and-coming Hot Rod role in the fight against the Decepticons.

Now that would have reset Cybertron history to a fabulous science paradise. I mean assuming he survived the Council again .

Took me forever to get this set because Amazon had the two sets switched. Ended up with three ratbat/Megatrons before I finally got my senator and data clerk who has....an axe.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, maybe he was a data clerk cop in IDW.

I do love how Shockwave as pretty boy scientist was all about kingmaker poo poo and set up, what, a dozen bots to hold the Matrix? Had a loving school like Professor X to hide outliers. Was all about science and discovery and switching his paint like every day. And then he gets a Council mental and physical makeover and we have the faceless wonder for the next few million years.,

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i remember a very weird Lego set where it was Anakin suiting up to Vader.

give me one of those, for Transformers, for empurata. Senator Shockwave and Whirl come to mind.

as for combiners, from the comics and cartoons it seems the actual gestalt is a lot mentally slower than the individuals, which makes sense as it's 5 or 6 minds all working together but not in perfect sync. now imagine that for Grimlock and his band of merry marauders.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As much as I love transformers prime the show, I feel we were ripped off by not having more minis that sound wave could command. Just imagine him having ravage or the twins wrecking havoc in the ship.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At least he should have had Ravage.

The twins could have been mute too; I mean some of the best Knock Out poo poo is him in the background not talking but just being a doof.

I am a fan of TF Prime Shockwave though. That dude was loving menacing and if he and Soundwave were in charge of the ship for the day, everything was getting loving done.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I always loved Quickstrike. He was far cooler than that goody-two-shoes Silverbolt.

That said Silverbolt had a loincloth which just made me laugh a lot as a kid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keldroc posted:

Probably be a few years. On the other hand, TransArts is basically out of TM1 characters at this point. Just Rampage and Depth Charge left to do.

wait they did Transmetal/TM2 Silverbolt and Quickstrike?

Edit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Worlds-C...d=6350040719624

Designer: how do we make it absolutely clear that black arachnia is female?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That was one thing soundwave needed. A minitape that turned into a gun.

He didn't always have to hold Megatron's hand like that but soundwave's the GOAT.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

Transformers is 40, prime midlife crisis time: Fans can tune in to a special TRANSFORMERS-themed episode during Season 11 of The Masked Singer, premiering this Spring on Fox.

When you think about it, prime and megatron both are in midlife crisis mode. Megatron is lamenting that he finally got Cybertron but it's a total dumpster fire, and optimus is regretting the fact he hasn't actually got to do anything fun in the past few million years, unlike Megatron.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Shockwave coming out of the Irish Sea at Blackpool and killing a man, and then building a secret base off the coast of Blackpool will never not be funny to me

Shockwave, what was the logic in that?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strangfort posted:

This issue?

I think the words are switched around so but it definitely makes shockwave look much more melancholy that he's trapped on a lifeless planet, but still what a badass cover.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
that cover is iconic. i kinda wish his empurata one was on a cover too but that would have spoiled some surprises.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keldroc posted:

TF Prime perfected the Vehicon and the BM Vehicons can see themselves out.

Tf prime was so underrated, I can even forgive how annoying the stupid kids were most of the time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Prime has no ideas beyond "wouldn't it be badass if...".

KnockOut was pretty drat amazing, so was Arachnid. The autobots, meh, mostly the same. I did like arcee being more kickass though, especially that shot on shockwave.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Beast machines might have done okay if it did not call itself a direct sequel to beast wars. I mean, massacring in all of the characters you knew and loved (what if we made the sarcastic but brave comic humor into this whiny jerk who couldn't do anything, and what if we took silver bolt and made him into an emo jerk, and how about we make a plant one too). Overall, the art style was horrible, the storylines didn't make too much sense, and stupid little things like how waspinator got there in the first place or Megatron even able to take over just reeks if something from Looney tunes, which fits if that's the theme of your show. But when the theme of your show is more dark and gritty and genocidal, it just comes off as weird. To this day, I don't know a single person who actively liked beast wars and thought beast machines was anywhere decent to watch.

I tried to watch the new show, the earth spark one, but the designs of the transformers just looks so freaking horrible. I couldn't make it past an episode or two. And then seeing how they massacred my boy soundwave was the final nail of the coffin.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
is it still on Tubi?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like that version of prime, except the lack of face mask just looks weird to me. I'm sorry Optimus prime just looks funny without it. It's like seeing soundwave without his mask.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
if we are going animated, I want antlers Shockwave. I have no clue what the design team was thinking but I love it.

And his loving accent.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

Wasn't the only G1 sized bots Optimal Optimus and TM2 Megatron due to Optimus Prime and Megatrons sparks respectively?

While the rest were more human size due to go undergoing the great reduction to save energy instead of using the bigger more energy wasting bodies of old.

Some others might have varied in size mind you, I remember Depth Charge and Rampage being fair sized.

DC and Rampage were so underused. I loved how "you gently caress everything up, shut up Primal!" DepthCharge was about everything because he wasn't precisely wrong. Was a crime we never got to see him interact with Dinobot. Or Dinobot much with Rampage.

No, not the TM2 clone one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, Optimal Optimus was definitely the biggest.

TM Tarantulus was seriously the best looking one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

The whole reason Primal is a gorilla is because they wanted to do the King Kong vs Tyrannosaurus thing with a giant ape versus a dinosaur.

That might have worked if they actually made him a giant ape.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Optimus as a cop would be Stoptimus Crime.

i found that online and i still love it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Blaster is canonically a metalhead.

I can't think of a better name though so let's go with this anyway.

I think blaster just finds whatever music soundwave doesn't like, and chooses to play that non-stop anytime the decepticon is around.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

I knew they're gonna do OG Devastator the same way they did the ROTF one.

And yay for the rerelease of ROTB Prime and DOTM Shockwave, two very popular but very rare figures.

I know it's the original design, but I always find it hilarious that shockwave had this little tiny pinhead. His brain is clearly in his chest because that thing is always massive.

Dev missing his head and a leg would make for quite the battle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

IDW killed off one of his legs (Scrapper I think) at one point and had the rest of them drag his body around for when they needed to combine, but still couldn't move the leg.

I am imagining Devastator using one of those leg scooter things now.

Oh ew gently caress that means they kept his corpse and manhandled it into position?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Idw introduced us fully to empurata and flatheads so making zombie transformers is kind of normal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

This is a great post and actually has me interested in checking out the comic (in addition to it being the Do A Powerbomb artist). I fell off the Roberts run but always appreciated the running theme of "transformation" as change and fluidity. Having the current run being about the fragility, transience, smallness, and therefore preciousness of life on Earth is a timely message and this is a great advertisement for it. Thanks!

i remember a TF storyline where a Decepticon was revealed to be absolutely terrified of organic life because as weak as organics are, they evolve fast compared to Transformers. They mutate and change in the space of a few generations, which is insanely dangerous in the eyes of a species that changes form and shape but not much else. You leave a single bot alive on some planet and he can live forever alone; you leave a pregnant organic alive on a planet, and in a century there's a million of them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i just want a matrix on a chain that i can remove from the toy and wear as a necklace charm. :)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile the nefarious decepticons laugh because at this point, at least in america, it is far more easy to get a real gun than a Megatron that turns into a gun toy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Could that be a core TM2 Dinobot or am I just spitballing?

to this day i wonder if show BW Megs wanted him to look that hosed up, or he just made do with whatever scraps he had on hand to Frankenstein up his old buddy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
oh drat I never watched Animated but that Shockwave is loving awesome. I wish for a show-accurate toy, even if he doesn't transform other than his two bot versions.

I love those goddamn antlers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i remember the "carbombya" thing as a kid and I didn't understand why anyone found it funny. Mostly because I didn't break the word apart, and just thought it was some funny sounding name the Autobots named a human city.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
TF Prime's Starscream grew on me: I hated his design at first, but the dude was loving cold; I think his first intro scene had him killing an Autobot. I especially liked the scene where he found Arcee trapped, but instead of killing her, he remarked there had been a time she had spared his life, so he cut her down and walked off. "Consider us even."

Of course he, being Starscream, hosed up so many times: accidentally telling Arcee he had murdered her partner ages ago, making a zombie-terrorcon epidemic, making a swarm of clones that all turned on him (and there was the bonus of every time one of them was killed, he felt their pain). and of course his single ally Knock Out he threw under the bus so many times, the final time is what made our shiny medic snap and betray him right as he was about to win.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Like for the movie, a soundtrack? or VA work?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

Soundwave let Starscream toss out Megatron in the movie into the void to die. And then tried to be leader, so he's not as loyal as they come. Only mostly.

For those who wanted a Galvatron that made himself into a Unicron like chunker:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/269908?o=1

I still can't believe that was a thing.

Hey now, my man Soundwave was heavily outnumbered, and I do recall a deleted scene where he told his minis if he took command, the first order he would enact would go back and retrieve Megatron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The speed force!

I have to agree, that is pure Cheetos.