Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's at this point I realize how odd the heart pieces really are. Also loving dragon.

We have another screenshot update next Friday, and I promise it's much smaller than yesterday's.
E: Screenshot update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 6: Something About Snow

Before we head to Yule in the next update, there's a few side quests and miscellaneous things we can do in the meantime.

This pirate needs a part of the ship's engines fixed. We do see this ship in flight later in the game, but this mission doesn't affect that.

We do something a little different with this sidequest. We take the broken booster to someone in Oliver's world.

On the way, I have a Gustplume I can give to this pirate immediately.

In Oliver's world, Rusty is apparently skilled enough in mechanics that he can fix a part of a machine he's never seen before.

It's probably one of the easier sidequests.

He also gives us an alchemy recipe for another Jumbo Drop. Most if not all of them are a pain to make yourself, since the extra items we need are only dropped randomly from enemies, but at least we get the option.

I head back to Hamelin to grab another merit card reward and yet another deal with the gentleman.

He's left his diary pretty close to where Hamelin is.

I never thought I'd agree with Drippy, but here it is.

I also took the chance to show off Seek Fortune. It's a fun spell to use when you're decently leveled in an area and can sniff out all the chests without enemies getting on your rear end. Tengri makes scowering the whole world map for them incredibly simple. Note though that they only show up on your minimap and the area map when you're on the ground; you can't see them on Tengri.

You can find some pretty nice stuff. It's usually money, the odd familiar weapon or armour, or a relatively common consumable.

I'm buyin' truffles. Not for you, Swaine.

Amusingly enough, I got that exact weapon while I was clearing out all of the Autumnia hidden chests. It's in the south peninsula.

I went ahead and grabbed Tengri's speed booster, so now he's even more stupidly useful.

I took him off exploring and found this little island nearby Autumnia. This island is one of the places you can find naturally occurring jade marbles, which we need for the tribesman's alchemy sidequest. I'll grab one now and come back for another during the next video.

I headed north towards Yule and found this little island on the way. There's not much to do here, but it's a good primer for what we'll see for much of the next video.

Although there are several here, we won't actually see too many reused enemies next time. There will though be plenty of ice enemies and ice-related collectibles on the ground.

I completely forgot about that tiger when I named my zombie.

Dumple leveled up enough to be able to metamorphose his third time, and I went with the fire option, which will be incredibly useful in Yule. All of the enemies are weak to fire.

A few other familiars were ready as well, so I went ahead and grew them.

As I mentioned before, Yule is roughly the second area you're expected to explore when searching for Mornstar's stones, and the enemies are leveled accordingly. I get a fuckton of grinding done here, so having these familiars dropped down to level 1 right now won't be too much of a hindrance.

Next time: we explore the frozen town of Yule and its adorable and vaguely racist citizens.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Everyone loves Fire. It's the best element. Hell, half of us wouldn't be alive without it.
Also, is the Dragon the equivalent of an airship, but with a better theme and more landing freedom?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there any kind of loading time when Tengri picks you up? It seems really smooth.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Glazius posted:

Is there any kind of loading time when Tengri picks you up? It seems really smooth.

Nope. I think the most it does is phase out the ground enemies and some loading fog in the distance, then fade them in as you get closer.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I'm just now catching up on the thread so this is months late, but I had a thought about the Trials:

ThornBrain posted:

Plenty for me to piss about in this part.
Update on the overall LP at the end. Very short screenshot update to follow tomorrow.

My theory: the Trial of Friendship is named that because it's a test of whether the player has any friends. Friends who can manage the second control stick for you, and who won't screw it up for you by deliberately running Esther off the edge right before you finish.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Tax Refund posted:

I'm just now catching up on the thread so this is months late, but I had a thought about the Trials:

My theory: the Trial of Friendship is named that because it's a test of whether the player has any friends. Friends who can manage the second control stick for you, and who won't screw it up for you by deliberately running Esther off the edge right before you finish.

But it's a SINGLE PLAYER game. That defeats the purpose! Hell, my friends would run Esther off the edge anyways, no matter what.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Ah, Siri humor always makes my day.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

It's at this point I realize how odd the heart pieces really are. Also loving dragon.

We have another screenshot update next Friday, and I promise it's much smaller than yesterday's.
E: Screenshot update on previous page.

Oh my god. While they're in Motorville after talking to Pea, the store behind them, the writing on the windows says "Wife Insurance". What.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The Ice Maiden family of familiars are actually pretty good and you should use one :colbert:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This will be the last update for this LP for an indefinite period of time. This is the last of the footage recorded, and my computer is in dubious shape to capture more. I don't expect to be in good capturing condition until October at the current pace. Depending on what I can manage in the meantime, I may or may not attempt a brief screenshot update within the next month or so, or go straight for the third Mornstar stone, which would be relatively quick to get. All depends on how much you guys mind a tenuous framerate.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
You know, I'll never understand what possessed the developers to think that using MP when you use magic outside of battle was a good idea. It just makes the battles more annoying to deal with considering all of your damaging moves cost MP.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

slycooper20 posted:

You know, I'll never understand what possessed the developers to think that using MP when you use magic outside of battle was a good idea. It just makes the battles more annoying to deal with considering all of your damaging moves cost MP.

I could see it working, but you'd have to do it very differently than they do it here. Make it so that using magic outside of battle isn't necessary, but gives you some benefit, same as in battle; you don't have to use magic, but it makes things easier. It then also acts as a way to get the player to think. Do they save their MP for fighting, or use some of it to avoid taking the long way around a collapsed bridge? Make MP a resource that the player decides how best to use.

Thornbrain, will the Majora's Mask LP also be on hold due to dubious computer?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

slycooper20 posted:

At least they typically give you a full heal before bosses. So it kind of balances out.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shoeless posted:

Thornbrain, will the Majora's Mask LP also be on hold due to dubious computer?

Thankfully no, I've captured everything for that already aside from small extras that people want to see. That video I might be able to squeeze out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is there a uncut version of the Video?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
There aren't any cutscenes to cut commentary from.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ThornBrain posted:

There aren't any cutscenes to cut commentary from.

So, the video(by that I mean the game) is less wordy bullshit? Colour me intrigued.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Quick update on that computer situation: tried capturing some sidequests, and the footage is much too speed-up-slow-down to allow for a full video capture. Luckily the screenshots I can get from them are good, so I'll post that in August to keep the thread around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope you can get this back on track. I'd really like to see where it's going. Screenshots are nice, but they can't really capture the neat little animation touches.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 7: Ogrrr You rear end in a top hat
It's a music reference. Look them up; they're one of my favourite bands.

While we wait for my computer to magically improve, I went ahead and screencapped a pair of the sidequests that open up after Glittering Grotto. The first, helping this Tomte woman find her missing son, turns out to be an endeavour and a half.

And then you-know-who loses you-know-what.

Yeah, he's flustered.

Our first clue on finding the missing Tomte boy is this kid hiding near the Yule back exit. Apparently they were testing the limits of natural selection outside Glittering Grotto.

We have a winner. And possibly a loser.

In the Grotto I came across a new type of Sasquish. She's tougher than her kids.

But burns just as easily.

Deep in the grotto, in the area I ignored in our previous trek, is a purple chest...

And a hidden passage that takes you directly to the boss room.

After searching the entire grotto, I head back to the one place I didn't look: the entrance. Look who I find.

This is the toughest fight I've yet had in the entire LP, because the already tough Ogrrr is surrounded by three even tougher Turban Legends.
Fitting that poo poo enemies have poo poo names.

I aim to take out the Turbans first, one at a time, and it proves to be a remarkable challenge. They seem to have more health than usual, though luckily their snow attacks don't floor me like before. Oliver gets taken out a couple times this fight.

Incredibly, right after Oliver died, Drippy chooses that moment to do Tidy Tears. Granted, Esther and Swaine really needed the health, but they're not the ones doing much noticeable damage.

Finally I take out the first one.

The Ogrrr rock-smacks Oliver out of the fight again.

Earlier I'd discovered the effectiveness of Tingle's Heat Ray attack, so I get some use out of it once the Turbans are finally clear.

The last minute of the fight devolves into bumrushing the Ogrrr as fast as possible.

Luckily the Tomte is okay, so we teleport him and us back to Yule to collect our (much deFUCKINGserved) reward.

So not worth it.

The gentleprick's diary is located in this forest on the west coast of the island.

Inside is the standard collection of chests we find in these forests.

The woman gives us the diary right away, no bullshit. This is somehow a five merit stamp quest.

And sneakily hidden behind her is another green chest.

I literally don't care about this man anymore. Just give me the money and warrior bling.

Next time: :frogsiren: FROGS! :frogsiren:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
2000 Zenny seems a pretty reasonable reward. How much does your top-tier stuff cost at this point in the game anyhow?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
About 3x that if I remember correctly. Also I think I won more than that just fighting the Ogrrr.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Excellent news for anyone still following this LP: it's coming back this next week or so, and far better than before! After weeks of frustration, my massively upgraded computer is in working order, and game capture for Ni no Kuni went excellently. The LP will from here-on out be at, if watched on Chrome, 60fps. A small sample of how it will look.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm sure it's an emotional rollercoaster if you're paying attention, unlike Travis and me. No it's not.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, good timing seeing as how Orange Fluffy Sheep is doing Level-5's other hella-British beautiful rpg with major input from another company (Dragon Quest VIII). Of course DQ8 is a really goddamn good rpg and this thing is crap that forces whimsy that falls flat on its face half the time, so the contrast is astounding.

Also White Knight Chronicles has Level-5 at it's utter nadir, so there's quite a presence for this studio on this subforum, across quite the variety of qualities (much as I disliked Ni no Kuni, I do think it has its merits and can see why other people might like it. WKC has little going for it but Skinner Box tactics).

e: as an example, the Drippy character in DQ8 is snobby and haughty, but still manages to be human, sympathetic and even paternal at times. Contrast Drippy who sort of disappears from the story and tells a small child to get over being an orphan less than a week after losing his mother.

e2: and now I feel bad because the whimsy was actually really spot on here. Game's making me look dumb :mad:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 22, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Travis, this is why Drippy's is Welsh. Not the Rolling R's. That would be it if he was Canadian

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I liked the story part of this dungeon, honestly :unsmith:

Also, those cobra familiars are pretty great, they hit hard and they're pretty drat fast. I trained the base form (which I think is in Ding Dong Well?) into the female final form (I named it "Lady Naga" :v:) and it worked really well.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

So wait, rarebit is yet another pun? Color me not surprised! Although, it is pretty Japanese to have play on word character quirks, so it might just be a dumb translation :/

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Pirates, pre-dead for your convenience.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well of course Oliver would shout "Nito!" after defeating a skeleton, it's only appropriate. :colbert:

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
I thought the "enemies scaling to your level" thing only happened in FF8, not 13. I specifically remember the adamantoises in 13 being goddamn impossible to beat when you first enconter them but becoming doable when you return with your upgrades for completing the story.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Okay, Sindbah is the new best character. Gotta respect a man who's response to "is that a ghost ship" is "get on my level, scrub."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The whole floating ball of fire around the supernatural thing isnt just part of eastern/Japanese myth.

In more western myth its the Will O' Wisp, and represent spirits, in Japan its Hitodama, and surprise, also represent spirits.

Its more common in Japan due to a lot more folklore using Hitodamas in their stories, and thus they attained synonymity with the supernatural.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

While the game continues to ride out its nadir, Travis and I continue to kill ourselves mocking the poo poo out of it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 8: The Frost Unleashed

As mentioned in the previous video, all of the following sidequests were done throughout the last three videos. It's a lot of side content (125 pics worth), so let's jump right into this pile of something-or-other.

We begin, as always, with our merchant friends. Let's finish their sidequest we started forever ago.

Since they're such a staple, they're the only heartbroken people I will show from now-on. All of the other broken hearts play out the same in fairly predictable ways. These guys will just give the usual examples.

Okay, one other broken heart. But only because I started her sidequest in a previous part and only just finished it. Closure 'n that.

Episode 2 of "Drippy Suddenly Says What We're Thinking". Starring Andy Richter, so it won't last.

Ni no Kuni skirts with racism. Who'd have thought? Not the people who made Myrtle's dad black in the 1950s.

To the East of Hamelin is a small mineshaft, only accessible with Tengri.

Inside there's another skeleton, this time hanging out and drinking grog. Where the fella puts it, let's not worry about.

There are also a pair of chests to grab.

Uh...ew?

We're going to see these two a lot today.

Yet another gift that I have no idea what it is. It looks like Nostrum, so I can hazard a guess...

Yep, probably never going to use that.

Nearby, this old fellow is having back problems, and he needs us to go to Yule for a cold compress.

But first... we hunger...

For PURPLE! Here's every purple chest I've had to pass by thus far, starting with the one in the Vault of Tears. They're mostly high-end weapons and armour.

I combed the whole game for them, but if I missed any, let me know and I'll grab it for the next screenshot update.

Ding Dong Dell

Ding Dong Well

Glittering Grotto

Golden Grove

Tombstone Trail

and finally Old Smoky.

I also grab a green chest that's been sitting here this whole time too.

I didn't go directly to each chest, FYI. I did sidequests and bounty hunts in the areas they were in as well, particularly Old Smoky, but we'll hold that thought for now. First...

Yep. They've got Shadar on speed dial.

Next we hop over to Old Father Oak to tell him how we FINALLY got the real Mornstar.

Something tells me that using one of those wouldn't be as wasteful as I thought.

We run into Horace in the Fairyground, and he has another riddle for us, this time about alchemy and anachronistic fast food.

I thought the answer was Glowshrimp, because that is actually one of the ingredients. Seems the unique ingredient isn't what Horace is looking for.

Getting the correct answer makes for an interesting discovery.

Yep, Horace was supposed to be the one to give Levitate to us. Instead we got it from a seagull. Glad we didn't have to wait until after Vault of Tears for that.

The nearest continent is Hamelin, so we'll be seeing Horace again later in this very update.

Grabbing the reward for taking out the winged cats in Part 21, plus a few more bounties we'll be fighting later.

My, those do sure look... the same as before.

In Yule, we meet up with the Tomte who makes cold compresses. However he needs time to make it, so he sends us off on an arbitrary monster hunt. Arbitrary because it's literally only to kill time, not because it's personally inconveniencing him.

They have been taking my eyes, yes?

I get lucky on the first Manglerfish I run into. So of course all the others are single.

I also take the time to give that stupid Jibberjabber or whatever back to its dead maste-

So much for making him independent.

Jumping back in time to when I was at Old Smoky getting chests. Time to take out the last of the lava divas. This one is at the very summit of the volcano, apparently trying to finish what Shadar started.

I expected her to be somewhat difficult, seeing as she's the big mama and all. But she didn't hit very hard, and Shiro did, so...

And then I remembered I had this.

THIS GAME JUST GOT COOL AGAIN

She sang.

If that were me, there wouldn't be an exclamation point.

Thankfully, this is the last time Derwin will ask us to catch familiars. This time, he wants us to show him three fully metamorphosed familiars.

OH? EXCUSE ME? I DO BELIEVE I ALREADY HAVE THAT ONE, DERWIN! YEAH, EAT IT TRAVIS! "PICKED THE WEAK ONE" MY rear end!

In a more peculiar sidequest, this Llapaca wants to sample foods (read: alchemy ingredients that you can't eat) from all across the world. I already have all of the foods he wants, many of which have been in my rucksack for over a year, but I don't think he notices.

A credit to his species.

Also in Perdida is this little girl, who has one of the rare sidequests that sends us back to Motorville.

We'll be heading there pretty quick, but first, I've been saving up my merit stamp cards to get this merit reward: Jack the Giant Killer.

Remember what Travis said about Oliver becoming much stronger than his partners? Yeah.

Grabbing the cold compress, since I killed all the Manglerfish hours ago.

They really like throwing the full restoration items at you after meeting Khulan, don't they...

In Motorville, the Perdidan's soul mate is tending to the most depressing garden in Ghibli history.

After a second of having to actually talk to the flowers before Rejuvenate will work (goddamn this loving game)...

:frogsiren: FLOWERS :frogsiren:

We bump into Horace yet again, this time gazing out into the cancerous smog of Hamelin.

This is probably the lamest quiz he gives us. Literally, you can just put in a number from 1 moving up until you get it right. This was my second guess. I didn't even bother looking in the book.

Chart Chests is the dungeon equivalent of Seek Fortune. It highlights chests on our map in areas like Ding Dong Well, Tombstone Trail, Vault of Tears, etc.

Haven't you already been on two...?

Hiding out on the far northwest corner of the Summerlands is the latest giant turtle bounty.

He has more health and defense than he does real difficulty.

Humourously, I'm at the point where Dumples fire attacks, which Shellfire is resistant to, still do the most damage. Thus, I go with them for a good bit.

:getin:

:getin::getin::getin:

:getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin:

That was fun. :v:

We also have the latest Ogrrr fight, this one considerably easier than the one we fought in the last screenshot update.

He's actually weak to Dumple's fire attacks, and he was strangely hesitant about attacking, so this goes pretty smoothly.

Yep.

Gunther finishes him off in a comical anticlimax.

I take all of my merit stamps back to Swift Solutions for one more reward: Crackerjack II. This next big set of dungeons and bosses is going to be interesting.

He said with only a faint wisp of hope...

Next time: Casino BWitch

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

You're doing this game proud! By being way more entertaining than it is as well as glossing over the bad AND the really bad parts of it.

Watching Esther run into a wall repeatedly by having everyone else shoot down her idea of romance is actually funny for a bit, too. But then the game goes back to it's huge who-gives-a-poo poo-about-all-this walls of text. Who decided that being long-winded and triple redundant would benefit the narrative?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
You know, it's not a good thing that I was genuinely surprised that you didn't have to go on yet another tedious fetch quest/dungeon when Khulan asked for Oliver's help with Mornstar, game devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jack the Giant Killer is such a perfect name for a capstone ability. Get out youer needle, Ollie-boy!

Caught up to the last three videos and my favorite part was honestly Drippy and Swaine's variant ribbits.

• Locked thread