Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't understand then, because I went around burning everything outside an Elf city, lost my peasants to a unicorn attack without ever looting, paid some gold to retreat, and ended up with tens of thousands of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You get half the looting value of unlooted corpses when you leave a map.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I didn't even really kill anyone either, they didn't sally forth and I just burned stuff outside the castle.

I just attacked a Rollingplains castle, burned some farms, retreated and got 40,000 gold and 30,000 food. My stockpile of 2000 trebuchet stones disappeared, too.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shadeoses posted:

I didn't even really kill anyone either, they didn't sally forth and I just burned stuff outside the castle.

I just attacked a Rollingplains castle, burned some farms, retreated and got 40,000 gold and 30,000 food. My stockpile of 2000 trebuchet stones disappeared, too.

Mind you, when he says half the unlooted corpses, it can refer to your corpses too.

It could also be that the guy ransomed the moment you retreated.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do you stop a large group of Bladestorms from stealthing into your army and one-shotting almost everything?

Seeing your elite firestorm archers evaporate into a red mist while their killers zip around like crack-enthused roaches is very traumatising :saddowns:

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 21, 2013

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
In as Morglon. I'd like to hook up with people who don't set my archers on fire while doing a co-op siege on an elf city. Although that did make the game glitch out and give me a bunch of extra level 11 Knights.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, trebuchets are now only good for starting fires. Battering rams are where it's at-- they have a shitload of HP and they absolutely :killdozer: gates, especially the crappy ones palisades have.

Also, if you can afford it, I think knights are a good investment. They don't have as good resists as swordsmen but on the other hand they can heal themselves and nearby units and they have better formations, so they make very good meat shields.

Only the foot knights though.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Trebuchets can beat down walls pretty quickly, you just need 10 of them and you cant fire at max range otherwise they will miss alot.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Diabl0658 posted:

Trebuchets can beat down walls pretty quickly, you just need 10 of them and you cant fire at max range otherwise they will miss alot.

Or get 15 to 20 and fire from max range while a ball of knights run rampant.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Man I am glad I only paid six bux for this game. The concept is pretty great but the functionality of this platform is awful. Half the time my dudes are in action they are either cheering or moving mindlessly in circles. That or half a company is going north, half is standing still, and half is running straight into death.

Also, why are eighty seven peasants all gradually concentrating on the same loving singular tree, thus decreasing my wood output to .02?! I put you all on separate groves for a reason, dammit, stay there.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

In as IchGestalt

This game is really quite interesting for what it is - Also Dragons really are something quite wonderful. Ah, the fire...

I'm currently on the quest 'Defending thy home' and I've no clue how to finish it. I assume join an alliance, build a wall?

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012
Any of you guys still playing this game? I just got it off steam and started playing today. My in game name is Salmanilla, and I saw the guild in the alliances roster, but didn't see a 'join' option.

CourteousDecapod
Aug 10, 2013
I've got the game and I'm installing I'll edit and give my in-game name.
I enjoyed the orcs last time I played and it sounds like they will be better now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the goon guild kind of died due to a lack of progress when it came to developer updates. They explained themselves recently and are releasing a free expansion as compensation.

Turns out that development was forcibly interrupted by a wedding and then an unexplained "major accident". No information on the latter, but it sounds like it must have been bad to keep the coder from coding for so long. Sucks, but interruptions like that do happen. Hopefully things will pick up again so that we can go back to burning pubbie castles.

Anyways, apparently this expansion is also the magic update too. And it includes a few new epic creatures. This probably means that there are new opportunities to do incredibly dickish things like set the countryside aflame. No clue what sort of powers they have since I haven't had time to test the update yet. I'll report back when I get the chance and it's properly released.

The expansion also supposedly fixes all of the huge bugs that annoyed or drove people off of the game before. Bolding that, because that's a big loving deal. They're also expanding kingdom wars, which I believe is supposed to be the meat of the gameplay if you're not into the various PVE content they have. That's the stuff where you and some friends get together and go burn down some other folk's kingdoms. Which I know from talking to people is what interested a lot of people before.

I'll quote the post below and update the OP later.

quote:

Dear Players, it`s time for a long awaited update on the Patch 20 (the new free expansion pack). But first of all please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of updates during the past 2 months. We are glad to say everything`s back on track now - with supporting and expanding Kingdom Wars being our main priority. And it`s time to make up for all the set-backs and delays.

There is no good way to explain the setbacks... chain of unfortunate circumstances outside of our control. Due to some personal reasons (wedding followed by a major accident) and other problems I was out of the office for several weeks and this broke the chain of never-ending updates and stopped our community updates - that we we managed to keep uninterrupted for the past year and a half.

Meanwhile the rest of our team has been working on various projects we needed to concentrate on to secure our company`s future, but without my presence we weren`t able to pay enough attention to our Kingdom Wars community.

But lets set that aside and lets go over few things we have coming your way in the coming weeks.

More Players
===========
You might have noticed the player population increasing slightly in the past several days. We are hoping to continue this trend with some old players coming back for the new free expansion, and additional sales and promos we have planned for the rest of December and into January.

Free Expansion pack
================
Now the biggest update is the long awaited Patch 20 - that`s now a full blown game expansion - biggest expansion we released to date. I`ll have an update on the release date for you by next week - we are still polishing a few things, and in addition we need to co-ordinate with Steam. But we`ll do our best to get this to you for the Holidays. To list some of the features:

-New Buildings - from Wizard Tower to Guild Headquarters
-New epic units - from massive Hydra to Minotaurs
-New Wizard primary hero character in 3 classes
-Amazing magic system starting with 15 spells
-New unit control system - similar to Total War games
-Brand new lagless pathfinding
-New unit AI with cool things like units forming perfectly on walls
-Professional localization for other languages including Tutorial and other in-game text

The Big Move...
===========
Unfortunately I`m not at liberty to reveal the details but we are planning a huge move later this winter that should greatly raise our player population sometime between late January or February. The increase should be around the biggest levels we have seen during Kingdom Wars expansion pack - with 700+ players online at once.

I hope some of you will stick around a bit longer and continue support our indie project.

If i'm reading that right you can also now choose to start as a wizardly hero instead of a knight/marauder/dickish elf nobility. If so this is great news. The only thing better than a potentially expendable dragon lighting the countryside on fire is an immortal wizard hero that will respawn when he dies doing it instead. :unsmigghh:

The inclusion of the new lagless pathfinding system also removes the one complaint most goons had about the game. If it does indeed work then they've fixed all the bugs that were present when the thread started.

In fact, if it's fixed, that means that the game is pretty much flawless for when you want to log online and burn down a hamlet, castle, or city. The major issue holding things up before was the sometimes spotty unit organization (Also fixed in this expansion, apparently.) leading to odd unit formation issues, and the massive lag that could occur when 500 infantry decided to each path their own way through a heavily wooded forest/town.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 12, 2013

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
In as Noir89, playing as swamp elfs and having a generally good time, despite the weird behaviour of units now and then. Mostly trying things and learning slowly right now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Noir89 posted:

In as Noir89, playing as swamp elfs and having a generally good time, despite the weird behaviour of units now and then. Mostly trying things and learning slowly right now.

I think most people are holding off on playing due to the pathing issues. Which are about to be fixed. The goon guild is probably dead until then.

They just released another news post. Apparently the Arcana expansion is coming out for people close to New Years Eve.

quote:

And, of course - Arcana stands for Magic, and we are adding this new gameplay elements with a bang. Magic is a force that now rules the game world - from homelands to battlefields. Get ready to experience Kingdom Wars like never before with magic spells so powerful they will change your entire approach to combat.

You;ll get you first look at some of the spells, as well as new buildings, and new pahtfinding features in the below preview. Meanwhile, here's some of the new features
New Buildings - from Wizard Tower to Guild Headquarters
New epic units - from massive Hydra to Minotaurs
New Wizard hero character in 3 classes
Amazing magic system starting with 15 spells
New unit control system - similar to Total War games
Brand new pathfinding
New unit AI with cool things like units forming perfectly on walls
Professional localization for other languages including Tutorial and other in-game text

And some pictures of the new stuff, from their post.

quote:

New pathfinding allows you to task entire armies without any lag spikes or performance drops

New directional tasking brings better battalion control - select which way your army should face, and in what formation with a click of a mouse

New Buildings such as a Wizard Guild, with 15 magical technologies. Get ready to spend thousands of gold coins.

Firewall Spell

Blizzard Ice Wall Spell

Lighting Storm Spell

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah figured i would throw my username out there incase someone wants to chatt ingame or something. Nice to know that the pathing is getting fixed, i can work around it quite easily now but i figure it gets quite annoying with larger armies. Tried out the orcs as well and now i don't know who to focus on. :(

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wizards look like they are overpowered or fun as hell. Maybe both.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I grabbed this the other day in the Steam sale, is it worth it to start playing now or should I wait until the patch is out?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So thanks to the griefing thread, I decided to choose this as the gift my friend got me since it looked pretty fun. Hopefully the goon guild resurrects itself.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jadebullet posted:

Hopefully the goon guild resurrects itself.

Depending on how well the pathfinding patch is implemented hopefully some shenanigans can be had. I'll post a trip report when they finally get around to patching it, hopefully tomorrow?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I picked this up during the holiday sale (ingame as Morbidmind), registered and passed my referrel on to Archonex. I'm having fun with it but I notice my units can't figure out bridges...

Morbidmind fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 6, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So pathfinding really didn't change a whole lot, that said some major changes were brought about recently and with this patch

Major gameplay changes:
• Only one skill reset per battle - Major change considering this completely changes how battles are fought and forces players to pick and stick with a certain skill set for the battle. Major improvement.
• Regen limited to +25hp/s (+10hp/s for basic (most bread and butter) units) - Ruins any semblance of invincible units like knights, grandmasters, etc. Major balance improvement.
• Skill gain of high level units nerfed - Reduces effectiveness of poopsocker armadas

Another cool feature is being able to choose which direction your unit formations face a la Total War.

These changes are generally grief-positive as battles will be faster, have more at stake, and units will die a lot quicker.

Morbidmind posted:

I picked this up during the holiday sale (ingame as Morbidmind), registered and passed my referrel on to Archonex. I'm having fun with it but I notice my units can't figure out bridges...

Known issue with the new path finding, will be fixed some time in the (hopefully soon) future.

Morbidmind posted:

registered and passed my referrel on to Archonex.

Not sure if he's still playing but I believe he redistributes the codes to newbies anyway.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 6, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Extra posted:

Major gameplay changes:
• Only one skill reset per battle - Major change considering this completely changes how battles are fought and forces players to pick and stick with a certain skill set for the battle. Major improvment.
• Regen limited to +25hp/s (+10hp/s for basic (most bread and butter) units) - Ruins any semblance of invincible units like knights, grandmasters, etc. Major balance improvment.
• Skill gain of high level units nerfed - Reduces effectiveness of poopsocker armadas

Jesus this might be enough to get me back in the game.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Joined up with the IGN of CM_Kruger, gave my referral to Morbidmind. Had some trouble being able to actually log back in after finishing the tutorial so I'll give it another shot later in the week.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Extra posted:

So pathfinding really didn't change a whole lot, that said some major changes were brought about recently and with this patch

Major gameplay changes:
• Only one skill reset per battle - Major change considering this completely changes how battles are fought and forces players to pick and stick with a certain skill set for the battle. Major improvement.
• Regen limited to +25hp/s (+10hp/s for basic (most bread and butter) units) - Ruins any semblance of invincible units like knights, grandmasters, etc. Major balance improvement.

Another cool feature is being able to choose which direction your unit formations face a la Total War.

These changes are generally grief-positive as battles will be faster, have more at stake, and units will die a lot quicker.

Known issue with the new path finding, will be fixed some time in the (hopefully soon) future.

This is pretty great stuff. Though i'm going to miss my invincible army of knights.

quote:

Not sure if he's still playing but I believe he redistributes the codes to newbies anyway.

I do indeed. If you don't have PM's though I need an email to send it too. I have some leftovers as well from the goon rush. Some folks never claimed theirs, despite me trying to track them down.

Since the patch is out, i'm playing again. If you need an invite to the goon alliance just say so.

Edit: So the new changes are great. Lag seems to be fixed, the maps got upgrades, and everything is much better now. You can't select a mage as your primary hero yet, from what I can tell (Though maybe you have to build a building upgrade for that?), but you can hire fire mages that can immolate huge chunks of the map. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 6, 2014

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I'd much appreciate an Alliance invite if you could Archonex. Just finished up the tutorial missions and building up a suitable pillaging horde, with the new changes to regen are archer balls a viable strategy again?

Edit: Thanks for the referrel code Kruger, could I get mine passed to him as it is a pretty good early boost?

Morbidmind fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 6, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I too brought this game out of boredom and cause it sounds interesting. however the game seems like a crashing mess. I keep getting runtime crashes, and it normally happens when I find my orc workers abandoning their jobs to walk to the edges of the map

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Stevefin posted:

So I too brought this game out of boredom and cause it sounds interesting. however the game seems like a crashing mess. I keep getting runtime crashes, and it normally happens when I find my orc workers abandoning their jobs to walk to the edges of the map

As of this last patch the frequency of crashes has made this game unplayable for me so at least it's not just you.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Did they do a hotfix? I notice I'm not getting any pathing issues or random crashing as of today.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Morbidmind posted:

Did they do a hotfix? I notice I'm not getting any pathing issues or random crashing as of today.

Yes they did at around 2 PM eastern today.

quote:

Patch 21 - 48 Hours Later
If Steam is not auto updating the game please follow these instructions
Right click on Dawn of Fantasy name in your library, and select Properties
Switch to Updates tab, and select - Always keep this game up to date
If it still doesn`t work turn Steam completely off and restart

After a turbulent Patch 20 release - that we were expecting and prepared for - we are happy to present patch 21. This patch fixes various issues with both pathfinding and Arcana expansion preview. And while there are might still be some issues remaining - including potential crushes during combat, and additional lag for some players; With your help we should be ready to fix the remaining issues in patch 22 in the next 48 hours. Thanks for all your help with your reports and feedback on our forums! See you on the battlefield…

Patch # 21

:::::Major Fixes and Additions:::::
- Fixed large variety of pathfinding game crashes
- Fixed issues with unit not responding to orders
- Fixed common bug with units ignoring bridges
- Fixed common bug with units getting stuck

:::::Minor Fixes and Additions:::::
- Fixed various issues with units not climbing walls
-Corrected Hero level loss on death - only few levels will be lost
-Orcish and Elven players now can see Hydra and Minotaur icons at the Market
-Fixed Elven Treants attaching to walls all in one location

:::::Balance Adjustments:::::
-Lightning Storm damage decreased by 35%
-NPC Heroes in Quests will level up to match Player's Hero level - makes quests easier

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This looks good, are people getting back into it?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So does that hotfix improve the pathing back to what they said it would be? Or just so that it doesn't crash the game anymore?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So does that hotfix improve the pathing back to what they said it would be? Or just so that it doesn't crash the game anymore?

As far as I can tell the pathing seems pretty solid now. My units aren't hanging up on terrain, or leaving behind a couple men like they were the other day.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I finally took the bait after finding out I could save almost 30% by buying directly from the developer instead of from steam.

Downloading now, will be in as theblobthing.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

TheBlobThing posted:

I finally took the bait after finding out I could save almost 30% by buying directly from the developer instead of from steam.

Downloading now, will be in as theblobthing.

Odd thing was steam was cheaper than buying direct from them for me, 20 on steam, 25 through direct

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I got it for 20USD from them directly, but the game was 18 Euros on steam, so this only applies for eurogoons.

Anyway, I've sent my referrer thingy to Archonex in the hopes I get something in return. Don't know what it is yet, but the previous posters seemed to enjoy it.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
They actually charge for this? Playing in the beta I figured it'd be a cash shop thing. That laggy rear end pathfinding was hilariously bad.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheBlobThing posted:

Anyway, I've sent my referrer thingy to Archonex in the hopes I get something in return. Don't know what it is yet, but the previous posters seemed to enjoy it.

Big fat honkin' ice dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cool. Joined the steam group too as InappropriateUncle but nobody seemed to play DoF.

Edit: Also, quick! Which region should I pick for Orcs?

Edit 2: Now I can't connect to the servers. Does that happen often?

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread