Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Picked this up and it plays like a bad rear end combination of Warrior Kings and the original Stronghold with the addition of having a persistent base and units. Sent my referral to the OP. Can someone tell me whats up with the magic expansion? There are wizards on the crown store and I can build the Orc magic building but the expansion does not "launch" until next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Comrade Merf posted:

Picked this up and it plays like a bad rear end combination of Warrior Kings and the original Stronghold with the addition of having a persistent base and units. Sent my referral to the OP. Can someone tell me whats up with the magic expansion? There are wizards on the crown store and I can build the Orc magic building but the expansion does not "launch" until next week?

It looks like there's early access for people who bought the game over Steam.

Assuming you have PM's, i'll send you your code through there as soon as I get it.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
So the new patch is out and the game is on sale for 5bux. Big changes are they cut gold cost for buying crowns in half and reduced the cost in crowns for all store items as well. Oh and the path finding is much better now and I don't have to reassign my workers every time I leave a battle map and they don't get lost anymore.

Starting out was a bit rough but I started PvPing as soon as I was able and the amount of gold payouts you get from cowards is hilarious, managed to zone in on three targets and just cycled through them initiating PvP in their areas when the protection timer went down and they would pay me out not to attack them. Got all three of them The Destitute title :orks101:.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Just joined the game as futonforensic. Don't know how long I'll stick with this, but I'd like to get in the Alliance while I can.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Reinstalling to check out the changes. My big problems with the game were 1) the controls, both in terms of pathing and UI, 2) lovely balance with unkillable units, and 3) the way you could just up and respec your units whenever. Sounds like all three of those issues have been changed for the better, though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I sent out all the keys that I had forum names to PM too. If you didn't get yours post here and let me know.

Also, the game is great now that they fixed the three big issues. I still miss my murderball of knights though. :(

quote:

Starting out was a bit rough but I started PvPing as soon as I was able and the amount of gold payouts you get from cowards is hilarious, managed to zone in on three targets and just cycled through them initiating PvP in their areas when the protection timer went down and they would pay me out not to attack them. Got all three of them The Destitute title :orks101:.

It's amazing that you can actually play the game as a robber baron. And what's more, you can be such a literal robber baron that you force a horrible title on people that says that they're loving broke! :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 22, 2014

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Archonex posted:

So I sent out all the keys that I had forum names to PM too. If you didn't get yours post here and let me know.

Set you as my referrer with the name SineSineSINE, thank you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

But Not Tonight posted:

Set you as my referrer with the name SineSineSINE, thank you.

Sent it to you. Just got the email.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I somehow got lost in the referral chain, if you have any left to send.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

I somehow got lost in the referral chain, if you have any left to send.

What is your name in game? It tells me it in the email, so I can forward it again that way.

Edit: Never mind, found your name in the thread. Let me check to see if I can find the referral email. I also just got two referral emails from people who I don't believe posted in the topic? If you want me to send them either shoot me a PM or post here so I have a way to give them to you.

Edit 2: I'm not seeing an email for that key when I do a search for your name. Did you refer it to me originally? If not I probably have spares I can supply.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 22, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This game is probably actually worth $5 now if you like persistent online real time RTS games with co-op if you butts need purchasing advice. I mean in today's world $5 can't even like buy you lunch I dunno I'd rather skip lunch and play this game just me though. You all should totally add me to your friends list so we can engage in jolly cooperation. Same name as my forum name.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 23, 2014

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Archonex posted:

What is your name in game? It tells me it in the email, so I can forward it again that way.

Edit: Never mind, found your name in the thread. Let me check to see if I can find the referral email. I also just got two referral emails from people who I don't believe posted in the topic? If you want me to send them either shoot me a PM or post here so I have a way to give them to you.

Edit 2: I'm not seeing an email for that key when I do a search for your name. Did you refer it to me originally? If not I probably have spares I can supply.

I referred whoever it was that posted their name in the thread directly before me. I missed where it said to send it to you. :(

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm trying to decide between Elfs or Orcs at this point. Are they pretty well balanced? Any glaring differences aside from "We are few and expensive but strong" and "Oh god the goblins just keep coming"?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm trying to decide between Elfs or Orcs at this point. Are they pretty well balanced? Any glaring differences aside from "We are few and expensive but strong" and "Oh god the goblins just keep coming"?

People seem to really really really like Elf Grand Masters. Having less units that are stronger tends to be a large advantage from a micro perspective. Elves lack a hyper long range siege unit like Trebuchets and Catapults. Instead they use treants as siege ladders.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Extra posted:

People seem to really really really like Elf Grand Masters. Having less units that are stronger tends to be a large advantage from a micro perspective. Elves lack a hyper long range siege unit like Trebuchets and Catapults. Instead they use treants as siege ladders.

Hmm okay. So just wondering does that mean the community is mostly Elvin at this point? Playing as Orcs sounds really unique and different as opposed to the Elvin "Deathball". I guess what I'm saying is am I really screwing myself over if I start with Orcs? I can always check out the other factions correct?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Moochewmoo posted:

Hmm okay. So just wondering does that mean the community is mostly Elvin at this point? Playing as Orcs sounds really unique and different as opposed to the Elvin "Deathball". I guess what I'm saying is am I really screwing myself over if I start with Orcs? I can always check out the other factions correct?

Nope. Those other slots where you can create other forts in other factions are entirely the product of your imagination.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Moochewmoo posted:

You can create 4 different towns, each of which can be any of the 3 different factions. So I'd say play around a bit with each and get your feet wet. It sounds like you want to try out orcs :orks: and there's really no risk to doing so. Just make another town of another faction if you hate it. Especially considering the recent changes orcs are far from useless.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 25, 2014

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -
Bought this game while it was crazy-cheap the other day. Looks like Extra is my designated referer-of-choice? In-game name is the same as my forum name.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Tip: Most advanced players suggest not picking any economical traits and focusing purely on combat viability. In later game gold and other resources are easily gained via pillaging. Gold is really the only vital endgame resource as you will be using it to level up troops.

Dakammer posted:

Bought this game while it was crazy-cheap the other day. Looks like Extra is my designated referer-of-choice? In-game name is the same as my forum name.

If you refer either Archonex or myself we'll just kick the code back to you.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 26, 2014

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I got this game during the sale and it's pretty great. I need an invite to the goon alliance, my in-game name is Buschmaki.

Bacchanalian
Sep 7, 2008
What?
Just got this, referral sent to Extra and ingame name is Demo.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Are PVP-Battles usually laggy as poo poo, or did i just have some bad luck? I had to see my army getting decimated while my units ignored my commands for 5 seconds or longer. My trebuchets didn't care about "hold fire" at all and happily fired right into the goblins among my human army.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying to get this to run at this point before getting on. Is the windowed option just plain broken? It ignores any settings I tell it to use and just goes into slow fullscreen.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This looks very similar to me like Stronghold Kingdoms, but I couldn't stand that game because of how disgustingly F2P it was, and because it required constant monitoring and time investments.

Is this not that and is there a trial for it? How would this game handle me playing only a couple times a week for an hour each?

Kustom
May 25, 2008
The game interests me quite a bit but my only concern is that I am generally bad at RTS games and being bad leads me to getting extremely bored. 15$ isn't much to waste so I'm not too concerned just trying to get some feedback before I purchase.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kustom posted:

The game interests me quite a bit but my only concern is that I am generally bad at RTS games and being bad leads me to getting extremely bored. 15$ isn't much to waste so I'm not too concerned just trying to get some feedback before I purchase.

Dawn of Fantasy is far more about Micro game than Macro game due to the populaion limits. So if you like micromanaging troops and making sure the AI doesn't kill itself by lighting itself on fire or running into the fire then you might like it. All you have to worry about in most battles is just what you do with your troops, you don't have to worry about constantly upgrading buildings or worrying about resource production mid-battle. So from that perspective it's a lot easier to focus on just managing one thing, which is troop strategy.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2014

Kustom
May 25, 2008
Thank you for the quick response. I've never been too good at micromanaging, playing the Total War Series in the past and other games like that, but if I were to commit to learn would it be something that would be generally easy to pick up for an experienced gamer? I'm pretty sold on the game, it looks like an awesome concept.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Ok, I'm in. Creen is my Steam name.

I'm going to start out as Orcs and then go Dwarfs/Undead when they come out.

Anyone have any tidbits on Orcs that isn't in the OP?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hey I know nothing about this game. All I need to know is if it's possible to play as Genghis Khan and just run around using using horse archer strategies.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

Hey I know nothing about this game. All I need to know is if it's possible to play as Genghis Khan and just run around using using horse archer strategies.

Well elves do have horse archers but you're probably not going to win any sieges with them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm guessing Legolas Khan isn't a winning strat then?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been starting up with a basic human town and an orc one once I had a handle on how to play the game and a better idea about what I wanted from it. I've had no luck finding pvp against armies or cities though. I'm guessing people have to be online for me to challenge? What sort of value will I need to get my army up to for the most chances of getting into combat?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

I've been starting up with a basic human town and an orc one once I had a handle on how to play the game and a better idea about what I wanted from it. I've had no luck finding pvp against armies or cities though. I'm guessing people have to be online for me to challenge? What sort of value will I need to get my army up to for the most chances of getting into combat?

You must have an army that is close to the army score of other players. In addition other players must have PvP protection off. The army value that is most likely to enter PvP combat is an army value similar to all other players. Other than asking people and hoping they are honest it is hard to gauge what the most common army score is. If I recall correctly PvP also may be segregated by zone so you could try moving your army to another zone in hopes of finding more armies with similar scores.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man that is a lot of conditions.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in game as forum name if anyone wants to shoot a friend invite.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Pavlov posted:

You might in the open pvp battles, it just depends on hpw well you can kite.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Pavlov posted:

It's entirely possible.

Elves have a vastly annoying special ability that lets them cloak all units in range of a certain unit. Abusing the hell out of that is how most elves win open field battles. Mixing it with horse archers (and fire of course, since you're doing the Genghis Khan thing :unsmigghh:) could potentially be devastating if you have the micro capabilities to handle it.

Mind you, Elves are stupidly high on micro. I really don't like them because of that. And a good player will look at where you're cloaking and bombard it with flaming barrels/rocks/people/whatever to smoke you out. But most players really aren't that good.

There's also an extremely dickish strategy some of the smarter elf players use. They cloak their army, send out a fake army to fight you, then retreat into the cloak when they get their rear end kicked (Which is intentional on their part.). Except inside the cloak are a ridiculous number of high level AOE capable infantry. Your troops run in to slaughter them, then all of a sudden they explode into bloody pieces from all of the infantry hitting them.

It may have changed with the magic expansion being released, but there's really no hard counter to that that isn't ridiculously tedious. Especially if they had the forethought to bring healers to ressurect their troops. It's one of their best "rear end in a top hat" builds, if you're wanting to frustrate someone into paying you tribute by just being ridiculously hard to beat into submission.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Could still use a referral code, if anyone's got a spare. I have PMs, if that helps.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Picked this up, in game as Starfloot. Do we have an alliance of sorts, or anyway of interacting as a group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well playing from Australia was a terrible idea. The lag makes everything a ridiculous chore with commands going to the wrong units and some missed entirely. Units rubberbanded everywhere and ugh, yeah this was a poor idea. :smith:

• Locked thread