Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Tulip posted:

No idea. Are you using lots of sheep/cows/whatever? They get a falloff for overopopulation.

Any idea why sometimes my units just won't follow orders? I had 10 units of berserkers that just did not move at all during a recent siege. The rest of them were perfectly happy to climb the siege towers and everything, but the rest of them just decided they'd rather chill out where there's plenty of arrow fire. Once they got within a bowshot of the walls they just refused to move. No orders were taken, not any. They had plenty of stamina but just stood there getting shot.

That... might be the problem? As far as the deer are concerned, anyways. I have no clue how many of the bastards I have running around. I thought that maybe wolves had been picking them off, but there isn't a single hostile unit in my demense.

Anyways, did you check to make sure you didn't have them in "hold position" mode? It's a problem I had with my dragon, I was frustrated with how I couldn't drag select him, and how lazy his scaly rear end was, until I realized he'd come set in "hold position", where he was content to let dudes wail on him unless they got right in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilemu
Sep 26, 2005

Makky posted:

Could I get an invite to the alliance? I'm in-game as Sasha.

In as "Kris" under you.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm in under DarkAvenger211. Playing the orcs, how do I get fire arrows, it says to get it at the Great Hut, but it's not an option there :/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm in under DarkAvenger211. Playing the orcs, how do I get fire arrows, it says to get it at the Great Hut, but it's not an option there :/

It's under "Tactics" in the Grand Hut, it's "Research Burning Arrow Trial." I actually wouldn't consider that a high priority for Orcs - Goblin Prowlers are terrible and Marauders are worse. Get faster world map movement because oh my god even with Looter it's slow (also these techs improve your looting, aka the strongest part of an orc economy), and in terms of battle upgrades the best ones are Movements of War and Combined Forces at War Hall (improves your combat Stands for all units, holy crap they get good), Slayer's Shield at War Hall/Armory (Slayers can get up to 100% pierce resist, you can see Extra bitching about Elves doing that with Blademasters earlier in the thread), and get a couple levels on a War Hall, Pyre, Goblin Tent, and Temple so that your main units start with levels. If you really want to burn down cities, Siege of Throwing Doom and Siege of Sky Fire under 'Engineering' at the Armory should be higher priorities - Catapults do a much better job of burning the world.

Speaking of - there seems to be some sort of consistent movement bug during PVE sieges. It's completely crippling. I had Dintassa almost entirely wrecked, just down to the little keep on the hill, but all of my towers, ladders, and rams just stubbornly refused to acknowledge any order i gave to them to approach the walls/gate. After five minutes of getting shot to pieces by marauders that i couldn't touch, i sighed and backed off before the attack got any more expensive. This happened to me at Darssen, Westerdale, and Ma Tinro, and it's not always the same units but at some point somebody crucial just decides that i can get hosed, they're not going anywhere, whether it's my hero when he gets ahead of my line or my berserkers while i'm storming the walls. What's going on?

e: Oh and how are we keeping in touch? Are we using mumble or what?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah ok, sounds good. If I get an upgrade on one of the goblin tents, does it apply to all of them? And are upgrades finished instantly? This UI is the absolute worst.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah ok, sounds good. If I get an upgrade on one of the goblin tents, does it apply to all of them? And are upgrades finished instantly? This UI is the absolute worst.

It applies to just the one, upgrades are finished instantly. I have one level 5 tent and about 30 level 1 tents.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

And what does leveling them up do? Increase the level of the units they build? Does it also increase the pop cap gain?

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
New patch just went out:

Reverie World Indie posted:

While work continues on the pathfinding and unit AI update, today`s patch is just as critical - as we introduce a new solution for our of sync and disconnection problems. Without bragging too much - we are confident that PvP and CoOp will never out of sync, or unexpectedly disconnect ever again. In addition we fix the major balance issue with unit strength, fixed over a dozen of smaller issues, and started on rebalancing all of game prices - starting with unit prices in this update. We hope you continue to enjoy the game, and if you are thinking about inviting a friend - there are just 4 days left in the summer sale, with this amazing 50% off deal on Steam.

Patch # 18

:::::Major Fixes and Additions:::::
-Trying a new solution for all OOS and disconnect issues in CoOp and OOS
-Fixed major issues with unit strength values calculations
-Rebalance of all unit production costs

:::::Minor Fixes and Additions:::::
-Fixed issue in PvP with AI or player units attacking each other on startup
-Fixed Knight Prey ability - now has a cool down
-Fix for several minor bugs with alliances
-Fix for a few minor errors reported by players
-Fix for rare Orc towns hero respawn error
-Fixed animation issues with new units

:::::Balance Adjustments:::::
Dragons:
-Royal Dragon +25 strenght
-Red Dragon +15 strenght
-Green Dragon +10 strenght
-Haunter Dragon +20 strenght
-Ice Dragon +15 strenght

Humans:
-Foot Knight -5 slash res -5 pierce res strenght +2
-Archer +50 food +80 wood
-Cavalier +210 food +150 good
-Crossbowman +175 food +50 wood +150 gold
-Halberdier +190 food +140 wood +200 gold
-Foot knight +350 food +500 gold +100 wood
-Mounted Knight +250 gold +250 food +100 wood
-Maceman +175 food +140 gold +100 wood
-Swordsman +165 food +250 gold +100 wood

Elfs:
-Elf formations cost greatly reduced, to just -30 stamina
-BladeStorm +200 food +200 gold +200 wood
-Enchanter +180 food +150 gold +100 wood
-GrandMaster +180 food +280 gold +100 wood
-Mounted GrandMaster +200 food +250 gold +100 wood
-Ranger +70 food +50 wood +100 gold
-Mounted Ranger +100 food +100 wood +300 gold
-Sentry +130 food +180 gold +100 wood

Orcs:
-Ogre +500 hp
-Berserker +400 gold +150 wood + 180 food
-Goblin Prowler +100 gold +50 wood +100 food
-Goblin Raider +150 food +100 gold
-Impaler +100 gold +50 ood +110 food
-Impaler Warg +190 food +200 gold +100 wood
-Labourer +50 food
-Marauder +200 food +200 food +50 gold
-Ogre +255 gold +490 food +500 stone +100 wood
-Slayer +190 food +160 gold +100 food
-Slayer Warg +190 food +200 gold +200 wood
-Warg +120 food

How convenient they buffed dragons, I just bought a Royal dragon! :toot:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wild guess says they didn't reduce the cost to buy those same units at towns for gold. Also the Dragon buff is :allears:. I suppose it's a good thing to increase unit costs as they were super cheap but I haven't seen these cost increases on my level 5 buildings for some reason. Either way I'll still be buying most of my armies via the mercenary system because Dwarven miners and peasant camps crank out gold.

The biggest and most important fix of this patch if they fixed it correctly is the ability for players to attack each other on start-up which I presume to mean if one player loads in faster they get the upper hand and can mount their attack before the other player loads in.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 19, 2013

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
Seems the buff to dragons didn't actually go through. I am not surprised.

I wonder what else didn't go through?

EDIT: Also, hit me up if you see me online ingame for resources if you need them. I am overflowing with resources.

Zudrag fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 19, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Did dragons really need a buff?

Also the price increases for Orcs didn't go through, Goblins are still free.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I finally did my first siege today, after the past two days every time I'd be sieged it would never load in and we'd de-sync, and attack protection went up anyways, so it was yay for me. That's what, as I'd been told my players and mods, was what the major patch was for, because it was leaving the game unplayable for the majority of the new Steam players, as anything over 30v30 units wouldn't even load in, and even at that number, it was like playing a Powerpoint slide of a battle.

Of course, something went horribly wrong and/or right, because some rear end in a top hat from [LORDS] came with his two level 25 Royal Dragons and I was wondering why nobody in his army had moved the entire game. Well, in my version of events, he never moved while I destroyed all of his siege with cavalry, killed both dragons knocking them down to level 16, and won when the timer ran out without a single dead unit or damaged wall, and the only significant thing he did aside from burp fireballs at me was charge all of his archers at my closed gate. In his version of events, both dragons were still alive, he kicked in some of my walls and gates, and left half of my units dead or dying. When the dust cleared, my version won: none of my units were dead, nothing was broken except one Gavriola, and I was 12 crowns richer. So, PvP might still be a bit broken for Steam players.

Also, don't underestimate goblins, because for as long as they're free, it takes no time at all for someone to replace an entire army of the little bastards and no money either. Also, ogres are pretty horseshit, just going to put that out there. A guy was telling me how his trade army of 60 of them gave no fucks, took all comers. If only treants could attack non-gates too... :black101:

I think with my pretty Elf fort almost impenetrable, I'm going to try raising an Orc army. By the way, can someone add me to the alliance when they have the chance?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Protagorean posted:

I think with my pretty Elf fort almost impenetrable, I'm going to try raising an Orc army. By the way, can someone add me to the alliance when they have the chance?

Yeah, if people just like add me on steam and go "Hey I'm online" or post in the thread when they'll be online then I can pop on and shoot people invites.

Tulip posted:

Did dragons really need a buff?

I really really don't think so considering a good portion of their damage can't be resisted and their pathfinding is a lot quicker than most units.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Extra posted:

I really really don't think so considering a good portion of their damage can't be resisted and their pathfinding is a lot quicker than most units.

This is a bit late, but they actually could use one. After it was mentioned that one guy put together an all dragon army to exploit their power, I tried the trick myself to see how it worked.

It doesn't really work without the loading screen exploit, which apparently was since patched. The reason being that dragons appear to have greatly reduced autonomy in their AI compared to your average unit. As a result they require a lot of micro.

Tack onto that the fact that a melee unit can utterly screw them up even up to level 20 if it's well statted, and you have a recipe for a dead dragon fairly easily. This is especially true after the patch that buffed the useless melee units, which included units specifically designed to get hidden buffs to killing units like them.

Mostly prior to this they were only useful for manual burns. Now they have some minor use as a shock troop with a large cooldown due to healing needs once you get one built up a bit. And they still can die thanks to the unit changes if your opponent thought to build up some anti dragon capabilities.

Now if they'd just fix the pathfinding lag. It's the only thing that kept me out of the game in favor of playing Anno 2070. It's gotten bad enough for me that some local maps are slideshows, which has made it very hard to actually play the game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

evilemu posted:

In as "Kris" under you.

On sale on steam for $6.79 for the next day and a half.

Referring Kris, in as "nine_0f_swords" (the 0 is a zero).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I joined in, referred... someone. DarkAvenger maybe. In as Stonetree, the proud liege of Pancake Manor.

Quick question: There's a band of "Beastriding Impalers" in my little camp, sorta chillin' next to my manor. They have a banner of some sort of monster with a spear. Is this normal? Each one is faster and tougher than my hero, so honestly they worry a little.

e: Ah, they were for a quest. Four quests down the line. I guess all my peasants were just used to a band of orcish maurauders chillin' in their fields.

Anyway, it sure seems like ogres drop a stupid amount of food. I get a clean 600 meat a camp of ogres I clear. Is that normal? A entire camp of lumberjacks only drops like 50 wood.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 17, 2013

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Referred Kris, in as statix. No idea what I'm doing. I literally just downloaded this. Should I jump straight online?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kstatix posted:

Referred Kris, in as statix. No idea what I'm doing. I literally just downloaded this. Should I jump straight online?

Might as well. There's no reason not to start the online gameplay since it's persistent and you have an immunity period.

The ogre thing makes more sense when you realize that Orcs hunt them for food, and the zone that's their "home region" is overrun with them. Somehow this translates to all races being able to eat them. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 17, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

quote:

- Players can't reset skills during PvP or CoOp missions.

Despite the blatant lies about the pathfinding system (my guess is it's never coming), that one change is a pretty major one for the entire gameplay structure of DoF and should make the game a lot more interesting.

Also increasing the population points dragons and heroes count for was another major and needed change.

That said with each patch they keep making the game more grindy by increasing the cost of units in the last patch, and buildings in the last patch, and now limiting the gold to crown exchange rate so players either have to buy crowns or wait longer to upgrade their city. Though co-op missions should still be fairly lucrative, but without skill resets not as much. All in all this patch is a step in the right direction balance-wise for the game, though it seems there is not much major gameplay retunes or content development going on.

The next patch will bring a nerf to resistances across the board which may be a bit heavy handed given players are barred from re-skilling in PvP or Co-op but will prevent the insane resistances of some units.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 17, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mystic Mongol posted:

e: Ah, they were for a quest. Four quests down the line. I guess all my peasants were just used to a band of orcish maurauders chillin' in their fields.

Anyway, it sure seems like ogres drop a stupid amount of food. I get a clean 600 meat a camp of ogres I clear. Is that normal? A entire camp of lumberjacks only drops like 50 wood.

Always good to have MM in a game. And i figure your peasants are just paralyzed with fear. That, or they really do just do what you tell them to, no ifs ands or buts.

And Ogres drop an obnoxious amount of food. I'm currently glad for it, the price increases for Orcs are, well, enormous, so it can be a decent chunk of my economy. Though it was probably unfair that "an entire army" used to cost like, a unit of knights.

Extra posted:

Despite the blatant lies about the pathfinding system (my guess is it's never coming), that one change is a pretty major one for the entire gameplay structure of DoF and should make the game a lot more interesting.

Also increasing the population points dragons and heroes count for was another major and needed change.

That said with each patch they keep making the game more grindy by increasing the cost of units in the last patch, and buildings in the last patch, and now limiting the gold to crown exchange rate so players either have to buy crowns or wait longer to upgrade their city. Though co-op missions should still be fairly lucrative, but without skill resets not as much. All in all this patch is a step in the right direction balance-wise for the game, though it seems there is not much major gameplay retunes or content development going on.

The next patch will bring a nerf to resistances across the board which may be a bit heavy handed given players are barred from re-skilling in PvP or Co-op but will prevent the insane resistances of some units.

Probably a good thing. It will be largely to the benefit of cheaper, weaker units, and as it stands "max all resists" is basically the no-brainer always do skill spec. Too bad my 80+ vs all berserkers will no longer kill everything.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tulip posted:

Always good to have MM in a game. And i figure your peasants are just paralyzed with fear. That, or they really do just do what you tell them to, no ifs ands or buts.

And Ogres drop an obnoxious amount of food. I'm currently glad for it, the price increases for Orcs are, well, enormous, so it can be a decent chunk of my economy. Though it was probably unfair that "an entire army" used to cost like, a unit of knights.

Probably a good thing. It will be largely to the benefit of cheaper, weaker units, and as it stands "max all resists" is basically the no-brainer always do skill spec. Too bad my 80+ vs all berserkers will no longer kill everything.

No kidding. I have no reason to roll anything but knights/archers with some swordsmen as offensive fodder in melee and sieges as it currently is. This will open up new strategies. It may even make the human metagame a lot like Stronghold 1, with the different unit types properly doing more things in different roles.

Going to miss the iron fist that was a Southmont knight rush though. Something about seeing several hundred of them rolling into a town and just trampling everything under foot was :black101:. Sure, you might not be the fastest player on the field, but anything that rolls into your armored murderblob is going to die horribly.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The lazy fix would probably be to make it so that the resistance promotions are 3% each rather than 5% (or maybe 4%?). Still worth getting for specialized and even line units, but not just plain better than any other use of skill points.

"Armored murderblob" is frankly a pretty good term for the current metagame. Until this gets fixed, never not flaming arrows, that +100 or so nigh-unresistable damage is flipping sweet when your actual arrows hit like spitballs (protip: Goblin Raiders get fire resist when Evading)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In as Troika. I started in the wooded area for humans, is this bad?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

In as Troika. I started in the wooded area for humans, is this bad?

From a military and wood production perspective, no. From a stone and gold production perspective, yes.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

kstatix posted:

Referred statix. In as Toesack. Also no idea what I'm doing, I bought this on a lark seeing it as the daily deal on Steam. But, hey, six bucks.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not gonna get my PVP on until I can go straight to stone walls, I think. Why gently caress around before I'm ready?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

BigHead posted:

Referred statix. In as Toesack. Also no idea what I'm doing, I bought this on a lark seeing it as the daily deal on Steam. But, hey, six bucks.

Referred Toesack. In as TheRagamuffin. Pretty much what BigHead said.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
BTW, I bought the castle upgrade for my town, and it... didn't cover part of it with walls. It also built random sections of wall at three different places on the map.

How do I fix this? :gonk:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

-Troika- posted:

BTW, I bought the castle upgrade for my town, and it... didn't cover part of it with walls. It also built random sections of wall at three different places on the map.

How do I fix this? :gonk:

Wall sections are built slowly over time, it'll keep deducting wood when it makes a new one. Eventually the whole Palisade will go up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bought the STONE castle part. None of this flammable wood junk for me.

Anyways the stuff along the side of the base that has the rocks did not build, there's a big hole in the side of my base that anyone could launch trebuchet stones and arrows through. :negative:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

-Troika- posted:

I bought the STONE castle part. None of this flammable wood junk for me.

Anyways the stuff along the side of the base that has the rocks did not build, there's a big hole in the side of my base that anyone could launch trebuchet stones and arrows through. :negative:

The stone walls go up in sections just like wooden palisades, it'll take time. Mine was a day or so I guess.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I just sent in my entire army, all my goons, my hero, and four groups of peasants and a pair of wagons, into a quest to kill some rebellious peasants.

And they're ALL GONE. All that's left is the army I took them out of, which is completely empty.

Well, poo poo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just sent in my entire army, all my goons, my hero, and four groups of peasants and a pair of wagons, into a quest to kill some rebellious peasants.

And they're ALL GONE. All that's left is the army I took them out of, which is completely empty.

Well, poo poo.

If you mean they just disappeared, this was a rare bug a month or two back. You can get them back by sending in a ticket.

If they were killed then that's Dawn of Fantasy for you. :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, poo poo.

Wait your Hero too? That sounds like a bug. Otherwise you just welped an army and that's just how it goes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When should I be using crossbowmen over archers?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

When should I be using crossbowmen over archers?

When you need to do a lot of burst piece damage to a target without a lot of pierce resistance with no objects between your crossbowmen and that target. Other than that, never.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
BTW, still looking for an alliance invite.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've transferred Alliance leadership over to Archonex.

-Troika- posted:

BTW, still looking for an alliance invite.

Invited.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How exactly do you get resources in sieges? I like burning everything in sight and retreating, but I tend to have tons of all resources afterward. Do you get paid for buildings destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

How exactly do you get resources in sieges? I like burning everything in sight and retreating, but I tend to have tons of all resources afterward. Do you get paid for buildings destroyed?

No. There are two ways.

The first is to get a ransom. If the enemy wants you to stop burning their buildings, or just doesn't want you to attack them at all, they can opt to either retreat during the fight or pay you a ransom of resources and units before-hand.

The second is looting. Each race has at least one unit that can actively loot corpses. This gives you gold. Looting can be set to be done automatically per unit, making them clear out an area on their own.

Things like wood, food, and stone can also come from looting. For instance, harvesting archers can give wood. In fact, you can even harvest your own corpses to get resources. Which is part of how the burn strategy with archers works. You just need knights on standby to resurrect the dead members of the party.

• Locked thread