Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How fiddly is the army building aspect? I can handle Warhammer/40K/Epic/etc pretty decently, but Airland Battles absolutely killed me with choice paralysis from trying to figure out what to take of 15 billion types of mortars.

Also, when you say "you can't repick" do you mean like, for the entire key you took or can you reroll/have multiple towns in parallel? Once i pick this up i want to see how a swamp/looter/siege army works but it might be a complete goddamn disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goons & Glory isn't bad, but why not Mongoonian Horde?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Extra posted:

Also there's no way to trade crowns currently so more or less I need to just farm crowns doing co-op missions all day long.

That's some goddamn nonsense. I understand why they'd want a 'bound' currency but at least let members of an alliance chip in for alliance-wide bonuses.

(BTW i do want to get in on this but that's not happening until i get my first draft of my thesis done in the next week or two)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tarezax posted:

In as HuoShengdi and my town in the Wold, Xianyang. Look forward to fighting alongside you guys with my oddly pale-skinned soldiers :v:

Huo are you still in this game, i'd like to make you my referrer for being a bro in Wushu (i went by InspectaDeek in that).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm in as Tulip. Orcs rule!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Scyantific posted:

In as LordNikon, gonna be playing humans first time around. What two traits should I go for? Siege Mastery sounds like a solid first pick since trebuchets :black101:, but I'm kinda stuck on the second trait. Any advice?

Looter o h w a i t. Farmers or military i guess, i don't think you can really go wrong with any of the human ones.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Does the lag cut both ways? It's my least favorite part about using goblins. That, and they take up pop on a piece of crap unit that is nearly useless in sieges (save to jumping up towers to slit throats).

Does everybody use siege mastery or do they put up with comically inaccurate catapults, because holy crap catapults can't hit poo poo even with siege mastery. And is quests+sieging neutral towns basically 'how to get crowns,' i'm starving for crowns (and making so much of every other resource i can't figure out what to spend it on)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ok so how do i win NPC sieges? I tried to assault Ma Tinro with my swamp orcs with a whole crapload of berserkers and 10 catapults and all i got for it was a whole shitload of losses and some really, really experienced berserkers. My army was like 590 strength and mostly berserkers, siege gear, and some goblins to die in place of important units. My leader was mass healing and things seemed to be going well until i got to the central courtyard when my berserkers just kind of refused to move forward any further, my leader eventually succumbed to...something, i think enemy slayers, and then they charged with everything and i hit retreat after it became clear that i was just going to continuously lose units. Was "break the walls, snipe off their ranged units, and crush skulls with berserkers" just not the right strategy or did i basically glitch out?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Am i missing something big or are slayers just kind of pointless? They're anti-archer infantry, but they're not as good at it as goblin raiders, who have the benefit of 1)disposable and 2)evasion. Berserkers are better in every other situation. Is it just that they're midpoint units and are less readily countered? I guess they do well vs spear infantry?

Mounted slayers are kind of fantastic though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Protagorean posted:

Is there a reason my production (or at least what this admittedly "rustic" game is telling me my production is) has dropped off so much? I was generating almost 50 stone a minute thanks to my dwarves, and about 100 food a minute because of my deer spam, and about 30ish gold thanks to my Alchemy... Tree, and now that's all gone down to 14, 16, and 18, respectively. Is it because I had a huge burst in production, what with upgrading every single emplacement and tower slot? Or some kind of hidden upkeep? Is the game lying to me? I can't tell, because the averages are over such long periods of time, and it won't even tell me how much wood my wisps are generating :argh:

Are you close to your storage cap? Because there's a limit to how much you can bank and the tends to cause my production to go from 120+ to about 0 gradually.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Protagorean posted:

Nah, I've still got room for 10000 of my poo poo.

No idea. Are you using lots of sheep/cows/whatever? They get a falloff for overopopulation.

Any idea why sometimes my units just won't follow orders? I had 10 units of berserkers that just did not move at all during a recent siege. The rest of them were perfectly happy to climb the siege towers and everything, but the rest of them just decided they'd rather chill out where there's plenty of arrow fire. Once they got within a bowshot of the walls they just refused to move. No orders were taken, not any. They had plenty of stamina but just stood there getting shot.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm in under DarkAvenger211. Playing the orcs, how do I get fire arrows, it says to get it at the Great Hut, but it's not an option there :/

It's under "Tactics" in the Grand Hut, it's "Research Burning Arrow Trial." I actually wouldn't consider that a high priority for Orcs - Goblin Prowlers are terrible and Marauders are worse. Get faster world map movement because oh my god even with Looter it's slow (also these techs improve your looting, aka the strongest part of an orc economy), and in terms of battle upgrades the best ones are Movements of War and Combined Forces at War Hall (improves your combat Stands for all units, holy crap they get good), Slayer's Shield at War Hall/Armory (Slayers can get up to 100% pierce resist, you can see Extra bitching about Elves doing that with Blademasters earlier in the thread), and get a couple levels on a War Hall, Pyre, Goblin Tent, and Temple so that your main units start with levels. If you really want to burn down cities, Siege of Throwing Doom and Siege of Sky Fire under 'Engineering' at the Armory should be higher priorities - Catapults do a much better job of burning the world.

Speaking of - there seems to be some sort of consistent movement bug during PVE sieges. It's completely crippling. I had Dintassa almost entirely wrecked, just down to the little keep on the hill, but all of my towers, ladders, and rams just stubbornly refused to acknowledge any order i gave to them to approach the walls/gate. After five minutes of getting shot to pieces by marauders that i couldn't touch, i sighed and backed off before the attack got any more expensive. This happened to me at Darssen, Westerdale, and Ma Tinro, and it's not always the same units but at some point somebody crucial just decides that i can get hosed, they're not going anywhere, whether it's my hero when he gets ahead of my line or my berserkers while i'm storming the walls. What's going on?

e: Oh and how are we keeping in touch? Are we using mumble or what?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah ok, sounds good. If I get an upgrade on one of the goblin tents, does it apply to all of them? And are upgrades finished instantly? This UI is the absolute worst.

It applies to just the one, upgrades are finished instantly. I have one level 5 tent and about 30 level 1 tents.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Did dragons really need a buff?

Also the price increases for Orcs didn't go through, Goblins are still free.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mystic Mongol posted:

e: Ah, they were for a quest. Four quests down the line. I guess all my peasants were just used to a band of orcish maurauders chillin' in their fields.

Anyway, it sure seems like ogres drop a stupid amount of food. I get a clean 600 meat a camp of ogres I clear. Is that normal? A entire camp of lumberjacks only drops like 50 wood.

Always good to have MM in a game. And i figure your peasants are just paralyzed with fear. That, or they really do just do what you tell them to, no ifs ands or buts.

And Ogres drop an obnoxious amount of food. I'm currently glad for it, the price increases for Orcs are, well, enormous, so it can be a decent chunk of my economy. Though it was probably unfair that "an entire army" used to cost like, a unit of knights.

Extra posted:

Despite the blatant lies about the pathfinding system (my guess is it's never coming), that one change is a pretty major one for the entire gameplay structure of DoF and should make the game a lot more interesting.

Also increasing the population points dragons and heroes count for was another major and needed change.

That said with each patch they keep making the game more grindy by increasing the cost of units in the last patch, and buildings in the last patch, and now limiting the gold to crown exchange rate so players either have to buy crowns or wait longer to upgrade their city. Though co-op missions should still be fairly lucrative, but without skill resets not as much. All in all this patch is a step in the right direction balance-wise for the game, though it seems there is not much major gameplay retunes or content development going on.

The next patch will bring a nerf to resistances across the board which may be a bit heavy handed given players are barred from re-skilling in PvP or Co-op but will prevent the insane resistances of some units.

Probably a good thing. It will be largely to the benefit of cheaper, weaker units, and as it stands "max all resists" is basically the no-brainer always do skill spec. Too bad my 80+ vs all berserkers will no longer kill everything.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The lazy fix would probably be to make it so that the resistance promotions are 3% each rather than 5% (or maybe 4%?). Still worth getting for specialized and even line units, but not just plain better than any other use of skill points.

"Armored murderblob" is frankly a pretty good term for the current metagame. Until this gets fixed, never not flaming arrows, that +100 or so nigh-unresistable damage is flipping sweet when your actual arrows hit like spitballs (protip: Goblin Raiders get fire resist when Evading)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just sent in my entire army, all my goons, my hero, and four groups of peasants and a pair of wagons, into a quest to kill some rebellious peasants.

And they're ALL GONE. All that's left is the army I took them out of, which is completely empty.

Well, poo poo.

Wait your Hero too? That sounds like a bug. Otherwise you just welped an army and that's just how it goes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You get half the looting value of unlooted corpses when you leave a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Extra posted:

Major gameplay changes:
• Only one skill reset per battle - Major change considering this completely changes how battles are fought and forces players to pick and stick with a certain skill set for the battle. Major improvment.
• Regen limited to +25hp/s (+10hp/s for basic (most bread and butter) units) - Ruins any semblance of invincible units like knights, grandmasters, etc. Major balance improvment.
• Skill gain of high level units nerfed - Reduces effectiveness of poopsocker armadas

Jesus this might be enough to get me back in the game.

• Locked thread