Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's interesting, if extremely janky.

I don't think I really get units and armies to well, though. Keeping them coordinated when they keep randomly stopping seems like a pain, though I might just be expecting Ye Total War quality...

Edit: Also, Archonex put your username in the OP for sweet sweet referrals.

Also, as aside, the whole town building thing is a bit of a half-lie. Humans and elves are forced to build in specific slots, kind of mitigating the whole "build a town!" thing. That said, I started out with Orcs who can build everywhere, so maybe that's not really the case.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Changing my tune a little, but it's still pretty janky.

For any Orc players, I recommend starting with Impalers first. Apparently Ogres count as mounted units, so they get chewed up by spears. If you start in the swamp and desert you neighbor the region that is entirely made of ogre spawns, so make a spam army of impalers (Maybe even mounted ones) and marauders and go to town.

Just aimlessly scouting about with a crap army of slayers I hit three ogre camps out of maybe ten and got 2,500 in food, which can be easily traded for any other resource, so yeah.

Do that.

I would also recommend building your first huts around the resource nodes you want to tap first and and natural walls of the map until you get your palisade up. The palisade has all sorts of doors and such... But... You don't know where they are, so you're more likely to block off the gate with a barracks because you had no idea a gate would be there!

Always nice.

Also, get your hut's pop cap upgrade up as a priority. Turns them out for 2-3 per instead of just the one, which rather dramatically raises the cap as you get going. Your free-spawn units are improved whenever you're under half your maximum, too, so that's nice. It's relatively cheap; to memory it's 900~ food and gold, which you can get on a ogre outing.

As a aside, you also can't loot everything with your marauders. Goblin camps seem to curiously always be lootless, for example, so if you are confused when you tell your marauders to loot everything in the area and they sit around... Well, don't.

I'm Gamerofthegame in game if you wanna try to tussle, but I am mostly flailing about and being a good business orc.

Edit: Any pro-tips with orc units? I imagine the beserkers can become crazy good, everything else is usually billed as pretty expendable. Which is fitting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's not exactly a good game. Wait for a sale.

• Locked thread