Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In as Extra, any goons feel free to add me to your flist, I'm usually always up for a co-op siege/quest and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about DoF.

The #1 thing I can recommend to new players is Pick your mastery (trait) and region choices carefully because you will have to create another town to pick new ones. You are stuck with those choices for the town you picked them for, forever. That said it's not like progression in this game take all that long.

Extra posted:

Here's a handy dandy picture guide on how to do cooperative NPC town sieges.

The following requirements must be met before engaging in a cooperative siege:
1.) Both players have an army score within 10% of each other.
2.) Both players have their armies in the same game region on the world map.
3.) The player being invited has PvP protection off. The player sending out the invite can have PvP protection on.

If you are still getting the error "The player you invited doesn't have a suitable army available", then try logging out and back in. That should fix the issue.

What army should I bring to a siege?
These aren't hard and fast rules but general suggestions. Feel free to try different strategies until you find one you like the best. Take at least 350 points with you for the basic sieges (Dintalla, Westerdale, Doredale, etc.). The more long range siege units you have with you, the better. My staple for easier sieges is 10 trebuchets. Make sure to also bring about 1000 stone (or more for harder sieges) for siege weapon ammunition. Use siege weapons to break the walls archers are sitting on, create new openings in walls to gain access to inner areas, and snipe enemy defensive artillery. Also bring a reserve force to guard your siege weapons as enemy units spawn 20 minutes into that siege that will often target your siege weapons. I personally use a big ball of cheap level 5 archers with full damage upgrades since the enemy reinforcements are almost always squishy cavalry. Marauders or rangers with damage upgrades would probably achieve the same effect. For the bread and butter NPC and boss slaying units your best bet is heavily resistance upgraded melee units in their most resistant formation. Orcs have Berserkers, humans have Knights, elves have Sentries, but Grand Masters can heal. Getting these units to roughly level 10 and stacking Fortitude (Slash Resistance), Agility (Pierce Resistance), and Restoration (Health Over Time), will make them a gigantic wall of unstoppable siege units. These tanks also draw artillery fire so you can use your siege units without fear of having them counter attacked.

What to do with the spoils of war?
Once a city is successfully captured you can use the loot to heal and train your troops, or to purchase more stone ammunition or mercenaries for your next siege. I like to make a separate army of Horse Carts in the case of humans. Carts transport loot to my castle, bringing back reinforcements and stone ammunition when needed. Horse cart armies have a very low army score which makes PvP challenges a rare occurrence, and if it happens the payoff costs are minimal. If you lost some siege units you can also pitch a fortified camp, enter the camp, and construct a variety of siege units for wood and gold. In the case of humans trebuchets are 170 wood and 170 gold for an example. These camps will also heal your units considering not all towns have the unit healing option.

Steps to Siege:

1.) The player inviting to the siege should first move their army to the target city. In this example I'm using the very newbie friendly city of Dintalla (370 army score) which has few walls, obstructions and choke points. I earned 21 crowns on my last siege of it which took approximately 20 minutes (e: Did another and received 35 crowns). In addition you can spend your hard earned gold received from completing the siege to train your units in Dintalla, buy more stone, or transport the spoils back to your home city.

Select your army and click the "Enter City" icon.

2.) Once in the city, click the "Diplomacy" icon.

3.) Click "Declare War" from the dialogue options. When you end the conversation the game will automatically kick you back to the world map.

4.) Click the "Siege City" icon.

5.) Click the "Co-Op" button.

6.) Enter the person's name you would like to siege with in the form that reads "a random player" by default and click the "Fight" button.

That's it! When it succeeds you will get a "Found Target" dialogue box popup and it will load you both into the city siege instance.

Victory Conditions
In just about every city siege there is an inner wall area filled with normal units and one boss unit. Slaughter all enemies in and on this inner wall area to achieve victory. Siege ladders and treants can be useful for allowing tanky melee units to scale walls, or just blow them up with flaming balls of fire from your artillery :black101:.

Protips:

Artillery should aim at walls and towers, not units
It's far faster and more efficient to tell your siege units to shoot at walls instead of the units sitting on top of them. It also creates paths for your tanks to enter.

Siege Unit Woes
Your siege units are instantly killed by spike traps which look like groups of little brown splotches with black circles in the center of them. These spike traps will also instantly kill anything that isn't an extremely tanky melee unit. Siege units will also kill themselves if they fire into a tree directly next to them. It's advisable to position your siege units one by one away from spike traps and trees. Siege units may light projectiles on fire and attack ground to clear trees, just make sure to wait for the fire to finish burning before moving them in.

Stand Out of The Fire
Enemy artillery will generally fire balls of fire at anything in range and fire can spread on just about anything that isn't stone. Fire will annihilate anything but the most tanky of melee units and even then an especially bright or dense fire will burn them to a crisp. Move your units out of the fire at all costs! High restoration upgraded tanks may be able to stand in weak to medium fires, but make sure you have at least 20-30 health per second restoration.

Don't get anywhere near a gate until the boiling oil pots are destroyed
These are just like fire except far stronger and don't give you any time to run out of the area of effect before dying a horrible sticky death.

A general guide to human units from a military perspective (work in progress):

Archers - Archers are an asset to any army primarily because of their ability to arc shots, high rate of fire, long range, high damage resistances, and cheap production cost. Most players will put a lot of pierce resistance (archer resistance) on their melee units. Flaming arrows are recommended because they add a bonus 125 resistance ignoring fire damage per shot. If you're lucky the ground will light fire and burn their units to a crisp. Archer's ability to arc shots means you can shoot over cover, and not light yourself on fire when arrows collide with nearby objects. Focus upgrades on fletching and range. A choice between piercing resistance (if your enemy is archer heavy) or endurance (speed) (if your enemy is melee heavy) should be picked when you do a skill reset. Archers can pack a punch with damage upgrades due to their high rate of fire, but make sure you're only focusing on targets with low pierce resistance. I prefer archers to crossbowmen because of their versatility. If you're facing slow heavily armored targets, activate fire and throw on some non-damage upgrades like endurance and range. If you're facing fast lightly armored targets stack damage, spread out your units, and use arrows to blender your enemies into a fine red mist.

Recommended Upgrades - Fletching, range, endurance(for speed) or Damage if against targets without high pierce resistance
Strong Against - Any unit with low pierce resistance, other ranged units
Weak Against - Any unit with high pierce resistance

Crossbowmen - Crossbowmen provide heavy burst damage at the cost of a slower rate of fire and resistance to damage. The term "glass cannon" comes to mind. The main issue with crossbowmen is the fact that many melee units have high pierce resistance, so much of the punch crossbowmen pack can be negated if your opponent is smart. Another issue with crossbowmen is their propensity when using flaming bolts is they tend to light everything between themselves and their enemy on fire, which includes themselves. Flaming bolts, just like flaming arrows, only produce a 125 fire damage bonus per bolt, but crossbowmen have about a 2x slower rate of fire. Avoid using crossbowmen against heavily armored melee units at all costs. Crossbowmen show their true strength at accurately taking out lightly armored units so identify the units with low pierce resistance in your opponents army and shoot them to bits. Crossbowmen can be useful if your opponent is using dragons to hit and run your army as well. You could keep a few groups around with damage and range upgrades just to have them be your snipers of sorts to take out high value targets.

Recommended Upgrades - Damage, range, endurance (for speed), agility (only to counter enemy archers)
Strong Against - Any unit with low pierce resistance, heroes and other individual special units
Weak Against - Any unit with high pierce resistance, other ranged units

Foot Knights - Knights are the arch tank of humans, with extremely high damage resistances (especially in anvil formation) but have very very slow speed. Knights can also heal themselves and units around them, which makes them a fantastic addition to any offensive melee horde or defense force for your castle or siege engines. Endurance benefits knights twofold, both buffing their main weakness of slow movement speed, and giving them more stamina to execute heals. Note that knights in some formations move faster or equally as fast while marching, so make sure to not waste stamina by telling them to run. Beware of fire as it is harder to move knights out of it quickly.

Recommended Upgrades - Fortitude (vs melee), Agility (vs ranged), Restoration, Damage
Strong Against - Melee units and stationary or slow ranged units
Weak Against - Fast ranged units, fire

Cavaliers - The generic light cavalry unit. Cavaliers are blazing fast, squishy (low health), and can pack a punch when upgraded. With Military Mastery at level 1 they pack a whalloping 288 damage punch with 271 run speed in diamond formation. They're fantastic at ambushing lightly armored units and siege engines. Treat these units as "hit and run", because once they get bogged down they will die in droves. The cool thing about cavaliers is their versatility based on upgrades. Beware that ranged units will absolutely eat cavaliers for breakfast if you don't run them in loose formation with piercing resistance upgrades, and even then that only provides 70% resistance. Ideally speaking you can catch your opponent off guard, kill a few ranged units, then run away immediately.

Recommended Upgrades - Damage, health, restoration
Strong Against - Any unit it can hit without being hit back, siege engines, small groups of units
Weak Against - High damage units, high slash damage resistance units

Mounted Knights - The generic heavy cavalry unit. These are the real archer and light infantry counters with 80% pierce resistance in loose formation. With the ability to heal themselves they can get bogged down in a fight and survive to slay large groups of ranged units. A quick switch to wedge formation can provide up to 80% slash resistance for countering light infantry. The armor of mounted knights comes at the price of speed (though they're still quick at 180 run speed), and about 3/4ths the damage of cavaliers.

Recommended Upgrades - Fortitude (vs melee), Agility (vs ranged), Damage
Strong Against - Ranged units, lightly armored melee units
Weak Against - High health/armor units

Trebuchets - Bread and butter siege unit that beats up walls and sets things on fire. Super long range, cheap as hell, and low army score to boot so bring a bunch to your next siege. In my experience targeting the wall or tower the unit you want to kill is on is more effective than targeting the unit itself. Make sure to carry some stone with your army because these use a few stone per shot, if you don't have stone trebuchets are rendered completely useless. They're also extremely squishy and cannot be upgraded, another reason to bring quite a few of them. Enemy cavalry will rip apart trebuchets in about a second.

Recommended Upgrades - None
Strong Against - Walls and anything occupying them
Weak Against - Everything else

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
e: Most of none of this post applies to the current iteration of the game so I've removed it.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 5, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If people are wondering why this game has performance slowdowns when you move big groups of units or change their formation it's because all of that stuff is individually calculated for each separate human/elf/orc. The devs claim to be changing this system to the must more sensible total war system of big blocks of animation and models that compute their paths and formations as one big entity, not individual units.

Blazing Zero posted:

The idea behind this sounds neat. I'm going to hold off on this for now because it looks really rough. Since they just implemented guilds, are you guys roaming around in packs murdering settlements? Or have they added in guild attacks yet?

I like the idea of archer immune elves but man. Sweet cannon fodder hordes of goblins with ogres in front... so much bloodshed.

There are no PvP encounters greater than 1v1 to my knowledge. Alliance battles are planned. When an enemy is attacked they have PvP immunity for an hour. So if you drew out the battle for 45 minutes they would be immune for 25 minutes after the battle ended. They can turn it off at their choice but if a bunch of goons kept attacking them I'm pretty sure they would stop removing their PvP immunity. The way the PvP works is it picks a random player settlement or army near your location within 10% of your army score and then shoots you into a 1v1 instance. Most people in the DoF global chat are up for a fight if you ask them so it seems PvP is expected and players are prepared for it.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 25, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was doing some Dxtory/LLL/H264 testing so here's a quick video me getting my rear end kicked by some elf player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pss1GMehE8, 720p suggested.

Zereth posted:

Is this game acutally fun to play outside of burning down people's cities and drinking deep of their tears?

To me it serves the niche of being a kind of Warhammer game with siege mechanics. The primary focus high end play in DoF is expertly crafting an army within a set point value and then artfully commanding your units to bring out the full potential of that army. Learning the game mechanics and strategies involved in winning matches can be a lot of fun if you're into it. Thinking your army is the best thing since sliced bread and having another player beat the snot out of you with a smart strategy is pretty cool. You have to start from scratch, tweaking and adding bits and pieces here and there to refine your army. Building an army from the ground up and having to weigh resource costs allows me to be more attached the army I'm fielding. The feeling when your hard earned army stands triumphant on the burning ruins of your opponents castle is pretty cool. Dawn of Fantasy is Total War meets Mount and Blade in a Warhammer-esque universe online. That said, it's also a clunky indie game that needs polish and requires some patience to learn how to work around the clunky aspects. If you need a polished experience to really enjoy your games, then Dawn of Fantasy isn't for you. It has issues, I don't think anyone is denying that and I'd be fully comfortable in telling someone to not buy it if they're not super excited about the whole army building aspect.

The castle building seriously lacks customization for Elves and Humans, and thus Siege battles turn into another case of army building strategy and micro. The vast majority of the upgrades for humans are pretty vertical in terms of how build your base. There's no real choices involved in what you're picking to outfit your walls with. For example round towers are in every way better than square towers. Trebuchets go on every tower, boiling oil on the gates. It's more of "how much money do I need to farm to buy all this stuff" than "hmm, if I place this wall here and pick this defense here...". After your castle is attacked and stuff is damaged or destroyed you petty much just repair everything the exact same way it was before the siege. It's just a resource (wood/stone) sink. The real questions you ask after a siege are how could you have used your army better with the defenses the game pre-fabricates for you. I find it fun enough to try and design my armies around the existing castle designs, but definitely would prefer to have more design and defense choices with my castle. The largest extent of important choices in building are your production buildings because they determine how many, what level, and what type of units you can produce while under siege.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I was given some wargs and told to sell them at the nearby town, but there was no option to sell them when I got there. They are definitely in my army, what did I do wrong?

Are wargs considered livestock for Orcs? If so click the Livestock Market icon and that should open and army screen ui which should then let you sell the units.

vvv Fixed, I'm sorry about that, lack of sleep. vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 25, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Here are some screenshots of the new units from the DoF forums that according to the DoF devs should be in within this or the next few weeks.

Apparently the Orc tosser does, indeed, toss living, breathing Orcs at opponents.

Tulip posted:

How fiddly is the army building aspect? I can handle Warhammer/40K/Epic/etc pretty decently, but Airland Battles absolutely killed me with choice paralysis from trying to figure out what to take of 15 billion types of mortars.

Also, when you say "you can't repick" do you mean like, for the entire key you took or can you reroll/have multiple towns in parallel? Once i pick this up i want to see how a swamp/looter/siege army works but it might be a complete goddamn disaster.

I apologize, you can delete your old town and build a new one at any time if you wish, I've updated my post. You can also have 4 towns of any race you like at one time. The unit choices are fairly simple, less than Warhammer. Humans have Archers, Crossbowmen, Macemen, Halberdiers, Swordsmen, Foot Knights, Mounted Knights, Cavaliers, Trebuchets, Peasants, Battering Rams, Fire Carts, and Escalades (Siege Ladders) for mobile unit choices. Plus of course mercenary units and heroes like Dwarves, Dragons, and Dragon Slayers. Variation in units primarily comes from what upgrades you choose to use with them. You can swap upgrades on the fly during combat so there's no need to stress about misplacing a point or disliking how you upgraded a unit you took forever to level.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

My first siege went badly. It was against an elf player who somehow had a goddamn canyon surrounding his base with only two bridges across, and a shitton of archers. Somehow his archers had a longer range than my catapult so he destroyed that almost immediately, then they completely hosed up my marauders and my fire arrows didn't make anything burn :(

Even with my Trebuchet range of 2220 due to my masteries I still have to stay on the bleeding edge of being in archer range. Taking melee units with piercing resistance seems to be the best bet to counter archers. Also I bring 2x the catapults I think I need just because they're so squishy and I need a few to be expendable while I knock down archer towers. Some people use dragons to snuff out archers on towers but that can be heavily dangerous for your dragon. Elves just bring big rear end tree things with 70% pierce resistance and throw your archers the middle finger as I am very clearly acquainted with.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 25, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
e: Most of none of this post applies to the current iteration of the game so I've removed it.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

e: How do I stop my gold from being stolen? :(

Make sure you have enough storage greater or equal to the amount of gold in your army's inventory. If you start losing gold quickly trek to your town and transfer it out of your army. Being over-encumbered with resources will stop your army from moving, but being over the gold limit will not.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 5, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Theparker posted:

Band of Goons.

Not bad, if this game didn't have orcs n' elves we could have done an homage to the CRPG goons and went with Lots and Lots of Jolly Knights. Goons and Glory was one name I was throwing around.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
An important note, if you are receiving or giving resources make sure you/your recipient is in their main town, or it will give the resources to their army which causes all sorts of problems.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the thread, but how many characters/towns can you have per account?

Four, each town can be of any race you like.

Archonex posted:

Actually just got done with one of them. You start them by going to one of the cities on the map and entering it. From there you go to the diplomacy section with the city, and choose to declare war on it.

I believe the army score of the army you're teaming up with has to be within 10% of your own as well. Otherwise you will get the "The player you invited doesn't have a suitable army available" error.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 26, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I would advise against buying crowns for real money at the moment. I just had 700+ crowns magically disappear from my inventory out of nowhere. Emailing support about it so at least hopefully they can restore them. Archonex if you just want to use those codes to farm crowns to form the Alliance that would probably be useful.

e: Got my crowns restored in a couple of hours :D by the community manager. If it ever happens to you send an email to support@reverieworld.com and attach the 5 log.txt files in your Dawn of Fantasy directory.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 26, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kegslayer posted:

Loving in the stories in the griefing thread and I'm in as Quotable. Got a couple of newbie questions:

How long does the 'tutorial' go for?
How do I apply the codes I got for buying it on their website (I've tried putting the codes in steam but I don't think they're suppose to go there and there doesn't seem like an option to put codes in game).

If it's a 10 digit code while you're in your main town click the market icon then click redeem code then enter the 10 digit code.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So I farmed up enough crowns to expand the Alliance cap from 5 to 10 members (thank goodness because we hit cap pretty quick), and I'll probably be farming lots more so we can have a nice big Alliance.

Innerguard posted:

Any suggested army size / composition for babbys first assault against a NPC town? I read that the most easternly human town is a good bet (or was it the east port?)

Westerdale is the port that's a good starting siege. Bring an army of around 350 points if you can. NPC Sieges are big fat battles of attrition. Bring your hero or some knights along to heal or give your units restoration (heal over time) upgrades. You want to be able to bring your units into battle, hurt the enemy, then retreat from battle and heal up. Bring lots and lots of trebuchets or cannons and lots of stone to make sure you don't run out of ammunition. It's far more efficient to use trebuchets to knock down walls than try to snipe enemies off walls with archers due to the way archer line of sight works in DoF. Be careful with your trebuchets and make sure they're out of range of archers. Take down the castle piece by piece, keep your trebuchets at the maximum possible range from enemy trebuchets or archers.

Also I like to split my army into command groups of 4 (not including heroes or single units like ogres or trebuchets) because it makes my units far more responsive and more precise in positioning.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 26, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If anyone needs resources please let me know in game. I'll be happy to send them your way. Bear in mind you need to be in your Home City screen and you need to tell me how many resources slots you have available (For example if your resource cap is 10,500/20,000 you have 9,500 resource slots open). Otherwise the resources are destroyed immediately. You can also bug me if you forgot to bring stone to a battle for your siege units and I can quickly wire them to you while you're in the battle.

Innerguard posted:

350 points? Jesus tapdancing christ. Anything a little less beefy I should be aiming for? Army is around about 50 points at the minute. I went into 'The Wold' and that seems to be methodical - slow, but methodical. Bit of a hard time telling the difference between 'baddies who will go for me when I get close / outlaws' and 'dudes who you can buy'

Also, I see the alliance is full already. Need help expanding it for more goons?

Are you upgrading your buildings? Every time you upgrade a building level it will produce units of that level up to level 5. It's not horribly hard to fill up a 350 point army with level 5 units. Also there's no way to trade crowns currently so more or less I need to just farm crowns doing co-op missions all day long.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 26, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've figured out how to farm co-op sieges pretty quickly so it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting a larger alliance size. If I ever do quit I'll just hand my account over to Archo or whoever is active.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So there's a player called Syruss20 that has sent up a bunch of Royal Dragon armies at various point values and spam challenges them all. If you don't accept the challenge he gets a 100% payout of your resources on your army. If you don't have any resources the game will pick from some of the most elite and best units you have and force you to sacrifice them or fight Syruss20 and get slaughtered. The reason you get slaughtered is he has figured out a way to move his dragons within extremely close range of your units while you're still in the loading screen for the battle. Maybe some smart goon can harness this power but for now it's making doing co-op and PvP when he's online virtually impossible.

e: Evidently this has to do with the game not waiting for both players to load in to start the battle. If you can manage to load in very fast your opponent will be completely caught with their pants down. Goons with very fast computers (especially with SSDs) and connections can probably take advantage of this aspect of the game to great effect.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 26, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Remember to not have your game crash mid-battle because it will still take a bunch of your units and money as a payout, just a friendly reminder.

The Alliance is full again, I will be able to afford another expansion in the near future. If some goons with decent connections want to do co-operative missions that makes farming about 2x faster plus you also get crowns and fat loot! Really excited to see all the goon interest in this strange, clunky, and sometimes unforgiving online RTS mishmash.

It also seems the resources per minute counter likes to bug itself out:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 27, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Alliance has been expanded once again, so bother me in-game if anyone still need an invite. It seems in-game chat can be a bit wonky so launching the game via steam and using the steam group chat in the overlay might be recommended.

Here's a handy dandy picture guide on how to do cooperative NPC town sieges.

The following requirements must be met before engaging in a cooperative siege:
1.) Both players have an army score within 10% of each other.
2.) Both players have their armies in the same game region on the world map.
3.) The player being invited has PvP protection off. The player sending out the invite can have PvP protection on.

If you are still getting the error "The player you invited doesn't have a suitable army available", then try logging out and back in. That should fix the issue.

What army should I bring to a siege?
These aren't hard and fast rules but general suggestions. Feel free to try different strategies until you find one you like the best. Take at least 350 points with you for the basic sieges (Dintalla, Westerdale, Doredale, etc.). The more long range siege units you have with you, the better. My staple for easier sieges is 10 trebuchets. Make sure to also bring about 1000 stone (or more for harder sieges) for siege weapon ammunition. Use siege weapons to break the walls archers are sitting on, create new openings in walls to gain access to inner areas, and snipe enemy defensive artillery. Also bring a reserve force to guard your siege weapons as enemy units spawn 20 minutes into that siege that will often target your siege weapons. I personally use a big ball of cheap level 5 archers with full damage upgrades since the enemy reinforcements are almost always squishy cavalry. Marauders or rangers with damage upgrades would probably achieve the same effect. For the bread and butter NPC and boss slaying units your best bet is heavily resistance upgraded melee units in their most resistant formation. Orcs have Berserkers, humans have Knights, elves have Sentries, but Grand Masters can heal. Getting these units to roughly level 10 and stacking Fortitude (Slash Resistance), Agility (Pierce Resistance), and Restoration (Health Over Time), will make them a gigantic wall of unstoppable siege units. These tanks also draw artillery fire so you can use your siege units without fear of having them counter attacked.

What to do with the spoils of war?
Once a city is successfully captured you can use the loot to heal and train your troops, or to purchase more stone ammunition or mercenaries for your next siege. I like to make a separate army of Horse Carts in the case of humans. Carts transport loot to my castle, bringing back reinforcements and stone ammunition when needed. Horse cart armies have a very low army score which makes PvP challenges a rare occurrence, and if it happens the payoff costs are minimal. If you lost some siege units you can also pitch a fortified camp, enter the camp, and construct a variety of siege units for wood and gold. In the case of humans trebuchets are 170 wood and 170 gold for an example. These camps will also heal your units considering not all towns have the unit healing option.

Steps to Siege:

1.) The player inviting to the siege should first move their army to the target city. In this example I'm using the very newbie friendly city of Dintalla (370 army score) which has few walls, obstructions and choke points. I earned 21 crowns on my last siege of it which took approximately 20 minutes (e: Did another and received 35 crowns). In addition you can spend your hard earned gold received from completing the siege to train your units in Dintalla, buy more stone, or transport the spoils back to your home city.

Select your army and click the "Enter City" icon.

2.) Once in the city, click the "Diplomacy" icon.

3.) Click "Declare War" from the dialogue options. When you end the conversation the game will automatically kick you back to the world map.

4.) Click the "Siege City" icon.

5.) Click the "Co-Op" button.

6.) Enter the person's name you would like to siege with in the form that reads "a random player" by default and click the "Fight" button.

That's it! When it succeeds you will get a "Found Target" dialogue box popup and it will load you both into the city siege instance.

Victory Conditions
In just about every city siege there is an inner wall area filled with normal units and one boss unit. Slaughter all enemies in and on this inner wall area to achieve victory. Siege ladders and treants can be useful for allowing tanky melee units to scale walls, or just blow them up with flaming balls of fire from your artillery :black101:.

Protips:

Artillery should aim at walls and towers, not units
It's far faster and more efficient to tell your siege units to shoot at walls instead of the units sitting on top of them. It also creates paths for your tanks to enter.

Siege Unit Woes
Your siege units are instantly killed by spike traps which look like groups of little brown splotches with black circles in the center of them. These spike traps will also instantly kill anything that isn't an extremely tanky melee unit. Siege units will also kill themselves if they fire into a tree directly next to them. It's advisable to position your siege units one by one away from spike traps and trees. Siege units may light projectiles on fire and attack ground to clear trees, just make sure to wait for the fire to finish burning before moving them in.

Stand Out of The Fire
Enemy artillery will generally fire balls of fire at anything in range and fire can spread on just about anything that isn't stone. Fire will annihilate anything but the most tanky of melee units and even then an especially bright or dense fire will burn them to a crisp. Move your units out of the fire at all costs! High restoration upgraded tanks may be able to stand in weak to medium fires, but make sure you have at least 20-30 health per second restoration.

Don't get anywhere near a gate until the boiling oil pots are destroyed
These are just like fire except far stronger and don't give you any time to run out of the area of effect before dying a horrible sticky death.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is it uncommon for connections to be timing out when logging in? Apparently I was able to create my account, but I haven't been able to log in since then

Some players were reporting success going in through a VPN because it wouldn't let their IP in for some reason. If you can reset your IP I would give that whirl. I've never personally had that problem but of course the general suggestion is try again in a few hours.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 28, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm working up some sort of lucrative gold production method using increasing my army cap and making a bunch of 60 unit peasant camps searching for gold. I think this strategy would work a lot better for plains region humans but whatever.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Is it possible to level units outside of battle? I just grabbed a Dwarven Cannon that was on sale and don't want to risk it just yet. Also, it seems that they start with a single shot per battle.

You can level units by bringing them to a town that trains units and paying a gold fee. Siege weapons do not have levels. I use this method to level up most of my armies because it's far less time consuming if you have a good gold production facility set up at your home city. You need to carry stone on your army to continue to fire siege weaponry. Each shot uses 1 stone.

quote:

Is the alliance full again, or could I get an invite?

Done.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 29, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A simple guide to fire in Dawn of Fantasy:

AfroSquirrel posted:

Well, I guess that's good news and bad news then. Ammo won't be a problem, but I won't be able to have a L10 Dwarfgun one-shotting people's knights with maxed out grapeshot.

Siege weapons are only really anti-personnel when you light their projectiles on fire for +200 fire damage since normal units have no fire resistance. Also trebuchets for example do 450 crush damage and most people don't put crush resistance on their units very often, that said they can always just re-spec on the fly if they notice you're trying to kill their units with siege weapons. I really question some of the mechanics in this game sometimes, and being able to completely change your units stats whenever you want to during a battle is one of those mechanics.

vvv If every goon who posted in this thread complained about it on the forums I'd bet we could get it changed vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 29, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Interesting news according to the Game Balance Dev Guy cavaliers do 3x damage against ranged troops and 4x damage against small monsters as a hidden mechanic. Which actually might be useful if cavaliers didn't die so quickly but who knows maybe someone can work it into some semi-tanky cavalier ranged unit slayers. It also might be useful if they took the time to write the hidden bonuses on the tooltip for the unit.

Source

gwrtheyrn posted:

Do the resources in your home town permanently deplete when you empty them?

No, they regenerate fairly promptly.

Dazzo posted:

This game looks neat. I picked up a copy from the main site for 15 bucks. I'm in as Dazzo.

Alliance is full currently but add me to friends and I'll invite you when I expand it again.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Though I can't change the position or size of UI elements I can re-skin everything and that's coming along at a steady pace.

I'm waffling between doing something more minimalistic for the unit frames but this is a concept I've been throwing around:

e: Another set that I'm more happy with:

The primary issue I'm running into is fitting enough detail into the tiny room they give you for the unit frames. More or less I'm taking a tip from Age of Empires 2 and keeping it simple, though I may make it even more simple and darken or make the backgrounds black so it's easier to identify the units. The trebuchet is a good example of where the complexity of the model makes it very hard to see on the unit frame. Age of Empires 2 solved that problem by zooming in on the most identifiable part of the trebuchet. I think in the end the most important things about the frames are they don't look fuzzy and they're easily differentiated so you don't click archers when you meant to click crossbowmen.

I'd really like some feedback or ideas because I need to set a standard for all of the UI for every race in the game, so I'd like to get the human one perfect, then move on to the next.

By the way if you want to screw with the UI or other textures all you need is Photoshop and the Nvidia Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop. It's the same format as Mount and Blade.

Turns out to save a trivial amount of space or something the Peasant texture is a single side profile that is duplicated on both sides in-game. That might be why it looks terrible. The bad news is just about every other texture in the game isn't a side profile.

vvv Alliance is currently full I need to farm like 140 more crowns to expand it again, sadly real life (and making the new UI skin) takes priority over farming. vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 1, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:siren: Patch #17 Screenshots and Features list is out... more or less more of what we've already heard but I may as well link it anyway: Clicky. When will it drop? Who knows, they keep promising dates and pushing it back but the latest I've heard is Wednesday-ish.

Also apparently I'm a dumbass because I didn't enter in this screenshot competition which awards 10 DoF keys so we could have bombed it and gave a bunch of copies of the game to goons. They seem to do frequent contests so hopefully we can bomb one of those later.

Early on I think a lot of players get defensive about their home city, which is exactly what I did. Now I've found payouts are based on army size and as a result a more economically focused home city is smart. I only keep almost all peasants (or dwarven miners) and a few carts as dropoff points (if there aren't any nearby storehouses) to keep my army score low and as a result my payouts to players who try to attack low. Though if you're walling in for the sake of wanting to try and see if anyone can blow up your castle of course there is that advantage. It's not like there's any huge competitive endgame going on in Dawn of Fantasy that requires the amount of silly things I do like 5 60 peasant camps farming gold while I'm offline. It pays to keep churning out lower score armies and not worrying if they get shredded in PvP just to figure out what's competitive and what isn't.
In the end the sort of endgame or high level play in DoF is crafting the best possible army at certain scores and trying to find new opponents to face you. When you have a fully developed city getting funding for new armies is fairly trivial. The cool thing is of course you don't have to participate at all if you make a dummy army at around 300-500 points with gold stocked up to just pay people off and keep your immunity up indefinitely. The people in DoF who are PvPing are the people who want to by the design of the system and I think that's pretty cool. It's sort of like racing for pink slips where people are willing to put their armies on the line to prove they have the best one out there.

BuzzW posted:

Well I won one PvE siege and lost three more. Looks like I need more practice.

I was sieging that southeastern orc town that only has one wall, and I kept running into these immortal berserkers. Like, my army and these berserkers would clash, and they'd just sit there hitting each other for what might have actually been an hour. What's going on there? Do my units need more experience? Bug?

Did you check what the resistances and recovery(restoration/health per second) were on the opposing orc forces? When in doubt facing any "immortal" enemies the solution is usually crush damage or fire.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 1, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Alliance has been expanded again, bug me in-game if you need an invite while we have room!

FunkyFlashman posted:

Just bought this game and did not referr anyone yet (no account yet). Anyone wants to trade being referred if that works? Ice dragon sounds neat.

edit. Or we could set up a referrer LINE? I put in friendlybee in return i wait here for the next guy who puts me in and then is in return in line? Just a suggestion.

That seems to be the general plan if you can find someone to refer. Though when in doubt if you refer Archonex he's been doing a great job of distributing them to new players.

vvv I'm not sure, I said hello and welcomed you to the Alliance but I'm not sure you saw it vvv We may both have to relog?

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 2, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A good way to earn loads of gold while AFK is to set up camps of 60 peasants gathering gold. They generate gold at the same rate while you are offline or online. Each 60 peasant group can generate 14,000 gold before maxing out on storage.

Also maxed out my Knights to level 20 today, apparently 20 is the maximum level for knights so I wonder if 20 is the maximum level for all non-hero units?

e: Expanded the Alliance again, send Extra a tell in-game if you need an invite.

FunkyFlashman posted:

This is so silly, i think i accidently put in the wrong email address ingame when i created a new account( i think) and now i cannot even find a way to check what my email actually is because you cannot login with your data on the webside lol. Theres no support ingame either sigh. Someone help please :/

Shoot an email to support@reverieworld.com with all relevant information and they may be able to change the email registered to the account, especially if the one your originally entered is very similar to the one you want it changed to.

By wrong email do you mean a typo or do you mean you entered a different email address that you have access to? Why can't you remember what email address you originally input? It's a security issue if you can look up the email address an account is tied to using just your CD-Key or something.

e: Yeah if it's a simple typo just tell them what happened, give them your key, when you registered the account, account name, etc. and they can change it over.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 2, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FunkyFlashman posted:

60 peasants? geeze that will take awhile. Thanks for the hint.

Things speed up and get less expensive substantially as you get further into the game. Building upgrades mean faster and cheaper units, which means faster and cheaper resource production, which means faster and cheaper armies.

At endgame with a good gold farming operation you can just churn out level 5 units, bring a wad of 40,000 gold with them to a city and train them all up.

Also something I didn't notice until a few days in was I could right click unit groups or resources to transfer the entire stack at once which is super useful for rapid resource/unit transfers.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 3, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I don't know a whole lot about the elves but I would think being able to have mounted archers is a strong advantage against every other race in the game especially with enchanted/flaming arrows toggled on.

Also patch appears delayed to be delayed, again, again. :negative:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:siren: Patch 1.7 Part Deux is Live :siren:

Summary of patch notes: Buff everything (including dragons), pathfinding changed are delayed :argh:, new units.

ETA for pathfinding: Next week, hopefully :rolleyes:.

quote:

:::::Major Fixes and Additions:::::
- New Orc Unit: Grinder
- New Orc Unit: Tosser
- New Elven Unit: Ruin Vine
- New Human Unit: Mantlet
- Alliance Leader, Treasurer and Recruiter roles can be assigned by the Alliance Leader
- Alliance members can deposit Crowns into the Alliance Bank
- Alliance Leader and Treasurer can send Crowns to members from the Alliance Bank
- Alliance Leader and Recruiter can invite players to join their Alliance from the Social Window

:::::Minor Fixes and Additions:::::
- Alliance Motto can be edited
- Adjusted alliance costs: 240 Crowns to create, 120 Crowns to expand
- Adjusted alliance max members, increased to 100
- Gold/Crown conversion cost reduced from 10,000 Gold to 6,000 Gold

:::::Balance Adjustments:::::
Elf Units:
-Bladestorm +5 slash res +10 pierce res +15 hp
-Enchanter +30 hp +25 magic res
-Grand Master +5 slash res +5 pierce res +30 hp +25 magic res +10 slash dmg
-Sentry +10 pierce res +5 slash res +20 hp +5 pierce dmg

Human Units:
-Human Paesant -1 strenght
-Fortifications camps strenght values reduced by 50-70% (all 3)
-Horse Cart -1 strenght
-Battering ram +60 crush res +60 slash res +10 pierce res hp+1500 +50 crush dmg
-Bellfry +10 pierce res +40 crush res +40 slash res
-Cavalier +10 hp
-Crossbowman -5 pierce res
-Escalade +1800 hp +50 stamina +10 pierce res +30 slash res +30 crush res
-Halberdier +30hp +5 pierce res +5 crush dmg
-Firecart -1 strenght +1000 hp +20 movement speed +60 slash pierce crush res
-Foot Knight -5 crush res
-Mounted Knight +10 slash dmg
-Maceman +20 hp +10 slash res +5 crush res +10 pierce res +20 crush dmg
-Swordsman -5 crush res
-Trebuchet +25 slash res +25 crush res +25 pierce res +250 hp
-Boiling oil +7 sec duration -100 dmg +30 area effect range
-Spike Trap +250 dmg +50 range

Orc Units:
-Berserker +10 pierce res +10 crush dmg
-Goblin Prowler +25 hp -1 strenght +5 slash res +5 crush res +5 pierce dmg
-Goblin Raider +30 hp +10 slash res +10 crush res +5 pierce res +5 slash dmg
-Impaler +10 hp +1 strenght +10 pierce res +15 crush dmg
-Impaler Warg +50 hp +5 pierce res +10 slash dmg
-Labourer -2 strenght
-Ogre +1 strenght +500 hp +5 slash res +5 crush res +10 pierce res +30 slash dmg
-Slayer Warg +50 hp +1 strenght +15 slash dmg
-Warg +25 hp

Dwarf Units:
-Dwarf Axeman -10 crush res +15 pierce res -5 slash dmg +25fire res
-Dwarf cannon +500 hp -2 strenght +40 crush res +40 slash res +10 pierce res grape shot +500 pierce dmg +200 crush dmg +150 fire dmg
-Dwarf Rifleman strenght -1
-Dwarf Heavy Ram +1500 hp +4 strenght +50 crush res +50 slash res +15 pierce res +200 crush dmg
Dragons:
-Dragon trample +50 crush dmg (250 now) reduced self dmg to 30
-Royal Dragon +3000 hp strenght -5 +30 fire dmg
-Red Dragon +3000 hp +20 fire dmg
-Green Dragon +3000hp +20 fire dmg
-Haunter Dragon +3000hp -5 strenght +20 fire dmg
-Ice Dragon +3000hp +25 ice dmg

Abilities:
-Shamanic Heal amount reduced by 30%
-Blood Purge dmg augmented by 100%
-Heroes Healing Potion heal amount reduced by 25%
-Pray +10 sec duration
-Hide -1 stamina drain/sec
-Whirlwind -10 stamina cost
-Tackle +10 stamina cost
-Drop Rocks +25 area effect range -25 stamina cost

vvv Yeah pretty much. Lead dev is Russian I believe and the QA Lead/Head of Game Balance types horribly. I don't think I've ever seen more sloppy patch notes in my entire life. vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 5, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ProZocK posted:

Oh nice, they lowered the price of crows right after I spent 30k on them... blargh

Extra, do you have any spot open on the alliance? I want to be part of something greater man!

Sure just pick a time to be online and I will try to be online also at that time.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Protip: Ball of knights in anvil with fully upgraded resistances/restoration overlapped with a ball of fully range upgraded archers (throw in some regen/hp upgrades if you have the points) in line formation (1440ish range) = poop all over everyone in PvP. Just sit in your ball, use your knight's prayer when your archers get low, and quickly reskill your archers to damage if a dragon gets in CQC to burst it down before your opponent can do anything. I used a group of 8-10 level 12 archers and absolutely nuked someone's level 27 royal dragon into dust just by switching them all over to damage upgrades when it was close and then immediately switching back to range upgrades when it started to run away. Pray got upgraded last patch which makes it even more amazing, even if the knight's crush resistance got nerfed a bit most units don't have much or any crush damage.

Optional: Cheap siege units with flaming projectiles as decoy/throwaway units to light forests near enemy ranged units on fire.

ProZocK posted:

OK, added you as a friend in game,I have no idea what time I'll be on this weekend, lets hope I run into you. My name in game is ProZocK just like in here.

Gotcha, it seems if people just joined the Alliance they have to relog for the chat to work? Don't quote me on this but it seems to be the case.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 6, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hal_2005 posted:

Bored, so going to give this game a shot. Mikhalio (the man, the ego, the legend). Cam on ban.

frogbert posted:

Could I please get an alliance invite. My name in game is Frogbert.

Thanks

You guys have to be online at the same time as I am to get invited to the Alliance.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Did you try fire?

Yeah that's pretty much the only solution against people who have insane amounts of resistances. Any sort of elemental damage works. My primary gripe with it is the fact that not only can you have these resistances but your units can be fairly fast if you grab endurance upgrades with it. There's not a whole lot of checks and balances in place for units and there needs to be.

The usual weakness of tanky units is slow speed and low attack speed but there's not much preventing people from stacking resistances and speed and damage. I know with my L20 knights I can max out all 3 resistances, restoration, and still have 22 points to put in whatever. That's 90%/70%/90% in anvil formation with 30 hp / second, and 22 points to throw into endurance if I want speed to catch up to archers or damage if I want a melee meat grinder.

So here's some possible spec for Knights at level 20:
Melee Meat Grinder:
Formation: Anvil
Resistances: 90%/70%/90%
HP/Second: 30
Damage: 484
HP: 11160
Speed: 37

Can sac a few points in damage to get more HP or vise versa if the enemy is spamming fire arrows.

High Speed Anti-Range:
Formation: Loose
Resistances: 50%/50%/90%
HP/Second: 30
Damage: 177
HP: 24660
Speed: 133

Heavy infantry needs to get smacked with the nerfbat but that's a band-aid over the larger problem of mid-game re-skills and very loosely defined limits on unit stats. If the balance guy is doing much math (which I severely doubt), you could use the stat ranges available with a maximum level unit as a general guide on how to balance armies but then you have to factor in masses of lower level units and what army score those will have. Things like gigantic low level archer/ranger/marauder balls using fire arrows come to mind. The bottom line is it's too goddamn complex and units should level linearly as "boring" as that might be. When a knight levels he gets more knight-related stats and you don't get to pick what those are. Features that differentiate armies should be things like item and hero choices, not abusing leveling mechanics and free stat choices. Taking a tip from warhammer with banner bearers, musicians, etc. would be great. Optional choices with buffs that you choose to spend army points on.

When balancing DoF the devs have to factor in all this bullshit and I don't know how in gods name you balance a game with so many stat ranges resulting from:
1.) Regional Bonuses (Some of which are direct unit % based stat upgrades)
2.) Trait Bonuses (Some of which are direct unit % based stat upgrades)
3.) Upgrades Researched at Buildings (Some of which are direct unit % based stat upgrades)
4.) Levels - 57 Skill Points which give a choice of +5% to a resistance, +8% to damage, +10% health points, +1.5 health per second, or +20 stamina points and 2 run speed.

We at least need a basic rock paper scissors system and I'm not really seeing it. Even with a macemen buff I can get 75% crush resistance in loose formation or just keep it in anvil and get 70%.

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also, i'm not sure what the other factions have as an equivalent to this, but crossbowmen are apparently great against heavy troops. Get them to about 800 range, put them behind some tanks, dump the rest in damage, and laugh as they impale everything with 500-600 damage shots per unit by about level 10.

With the sheer amount of pierce resistance heavy infantry can get combined with the low rate of fire and inability for crossbowmen to arc shots I've never seen anyone who could counter heavy infantry with crossbowmen.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 7, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
For people who want in the Alliance the easiest way to see if I'm on or ask me to log on is to contact/add me on steam.

Archonex posted:

The only question is whether the bonus is actually significant or not. I haven't really tested it that much, and it's hard to get an accurate reading since there's a wide variety of unit specs people set up in the game.

Yeah it's a little irksome to have certain unit mechanics be hidden so you're not ever quite sure why your units got obliterated in certain situations.

vvv There are a ton of things on my list of "quality of life" improvements that Dawn of Fantasy could use. Tempted to pester the devs to let me screw around with the UI code so I can write some better tooltips and reposition crap but fat chance. vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 7, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Details forthcoming but I may have found a "game breaking" bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3_F1BzJnM

FunkyFlashman posted:

Hmm BolT throwers for elven don't work? Just raided an orc town and 8 boltthrowers+army did nothing to their catapults :/ They also did not fire any visible projectiles(i set up a target area). I had to withdraw. Elvens are freaking fun to built, but their units seem uncool. This was also my first attempt.

Wild guess is some issue with not having proper line of sight to the target. Non-arched projectiles tend to hit the defenses you're shooting at instead of the object on top of them. Most elf players I see just roll with a bunch of treants to scale the walls and long range rangers to take out the catapults. Archers of any kind make quick work of enemy siege units.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 8, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AfroSquirrel posted:

I've managed to pull that off once too, in a newbie quest siege. I didn't have flaming projectiles yet, though, and I haven't been able to replicate it.

Select attack ground, click an area, then shortly after right click a targetable enemy or structure. Works with both flaming and non-flaming projectiles. Rapid fire siege weaponry.

I'm uploading a better example now.

:regd08::regd08::regd08:

FunkyFlashman posted:

And i guess with archers you ment flame arrow archers because i had like 10 rangers with 1500 range. Nice video there, trebuchet look like 1000x better then bolt throwers.

There was a player who took out all of my tower trebuchets in a siege using rangers without flaming arrows. I think you just have to get the archers to angle their shots correctly. Trebuchets are pretty good on their own but using this new technique they're rapid fire destroy everything units. Curious if the same strategy works with Cannons. I'll have to give it a test.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 8, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AfroSquirrel posted:

Interesting. What I did was alternately order an attack and then stop the attack after the rock had launched but before the animation was complete. Yours sounds like it involves less timing and you've been able to replicate it, though.

I'll play with that considering you can see at the end of the video I lost the entire bottom portion of my user interface because I messed up the clicking combination or something.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've set Archonex as Recruiter so he can get people into the Alliance. Ideally we would be co-alliance leaders but that's not possible at the moment. I'm not sure if the functionality of the Recruiter fully works but it's worth a try. I usually head to bed around 8 Eastern so hopefully if he's on during the night to invite people and help them out. Also thanks again Archo for distributing the referral codes. With the latest patch's changes I can also transfer Alliance leadership which I will be sure to do if I take a break from DoF.

Also hoping to get some more work on the UI reskin today and maybe do a test release for at least humans.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm still around to throw people invites to the Alliance. Be warned you will probably have to relog once you get an invite to the Alliance to have the A-Chat work properly. I should be on more when the pathfinding overhaul hits but if people want another person to do a co-op siege with just bug me and we can set something up.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I played this game at launch and there were lots of issues, but the only super annoying one was the lag during battles. Has that improved at all? I had to rely heavily on in game Help Chat due to the learning curve and general bugginess at launch so hopefully that is still populated by helpful administrators.

There's still a nice big pause when you try to move a bunch of units at once but at some point in the future the semi-incompetent programmer for DoF (as far as I know there is only 1, maybe 2) is implementing a pathfinding fix that should help with it.

Hosting is P2P so the lag entirely depends on if your opponent or you have bad networking or you're on opposite sides of the planet or a combination or the two.

I've found the learning curve is pretty much as follows: Find the thing with the highest resistances you can get and abuse the crap out of it. Dragons are dumb good because every damage upgrade upgrades their elemental damage which no unit in the game has resistances for except other dragons and dwarves get a tiny tiny bit of fire resistance as well. If you face some jerks with a bunch of ice dragons you're probably SoL though. Dragons can also attack walls. Dragons can also fly over walls. Dragons can also fly away if their health gets low.

My siege strategy is literally fly in a bunch of dragons beat the boss into a pulp and win in like 3 minutes.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 15, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tulip posted:

Ok so how do i win NPC sieges?

If it's a solo siege just kill the boss with the ! over its head. If it's co-op kill the boss (which won't have an ! over its head in co-op) and all the enemies anywhere near the boss.

Spending your gold on training units to higher levels is often a better use of your resources then bringing low level units to die.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 16, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If any goons buy the game and would just like to get the ice dragon and crowns, refer me and I will send the code back to you so you can redeem it. Remember referrals are case sensitive. If you have SA PMs I will send it through that or contact me via steam, in-game, or give me an email address to send it to. Those starting crowns are quite useful in building up your first home city.

Protagorean posted:

In as Protagorean, gave my referral to Extra. Been loving around for five hours, first as orcs, then as humans; pretty sure I'm doing it wrong. And maaaan, everything takes forever.

Once your infrastructure is built up things become quite faster. The reason things take a while to build is because you never need to re-build them as everything is persistent. For the first few days sometimes it's good idea to queue buildings then take a break or head to bed. Thanks for the referral, I sent the code to you via PM. Those referral crowns should help you get your feet off the ground.

Makky posted:

Could I get an invite to the alliance? I'm in-game as Sasha.

It's hard for me to catch people when they're online (and both players must be online to invite) but I'll add you to friends.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 17, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wild guess says they didn't reduce the cost to buy those same units at towns for gold. Also the Dragon buff is :allears:. I suppose it's a good thing to increase unit costs as they were super cheap but I haven't seen these cost increases on my level 5 buildings for some reason. Either way I'll still be buying most of my armies via the mercenary system because Dwarven miners and peasant camps crank out gold.

The biggest and most important fix of this patch if they fixed it correctly is the ability for players to attack each other on start-up which I presume to mean if one player loads in faster they get the upper hand and can mount their attack before the other player loads in.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Protagorean posted:

I think with my pretty Elf fort almost impenetrable, I'm going to try raising an Orc army. By the way, can someone add me to the alliance when they have the chance?

Yeah, if people just like add me on steam and go "Hey I'm online" or post in the thread when they'll be online then I can pop on and shoot people invites.

Tulip posted:

Did dragons really need a buff?

I really really don't think so considering a good portion of their damage can't be resisted and their pathfinding is a lot quicker than most units.

• Locked thread