Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Care to spoil it for those of us who found Ravenswood so boring they didn't even watch the pilot for the show set there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

whowhatwhere posted:

Care to spoil it for those of us who found Ravenswood so boring they didn't even watch the pilot for the show set there?

Sure, in the early 1900s, before any of the residents of Ravenswood were sent in to WWI, the town founders made a pact with a preacher (actually the Devil) to prevent any of the soldiers in the town from dying in war at the expense of 5 teens from town per war. One of the signers was the father of Caleb's ancestor. Later he changed his mind, and he and Miranda's ancestor's mother gave up their lives to try and bring back Miranda and Caleb to break the deal. Modern day Caleb and Miranda are supposedly these reincarnations, and the undertaker guy seems to be involved with the Devil somehow.

Wow, that sounds insane all typed out.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

violetdragon posted:

Sure, in the early 1900s, before any of the residents of Ravenswood were sent in to WWI, the town founders made a pact with a preacher (actually the Devil) to prevent any of the soldiers in the town from dying in war at the expense of 5 teens from town per war. One of the signers was the father of Caleb's ancestor. Later he changed his mind, and he and Miranda's ancestor's mother gave up their lives to try and bring back Miranda and Caleb to break the deal. Modern day Caleb and Miranda are supposedly these reincarnations, and the undertaker guy seems to be involved with the Devil somehow.

Wow, that sounds insane all typed out.

Insane yes, but it certainly makes for a more interesting story than what they gave us in the first part of the season. I was wavering on Ravenswood but the premiere tonight got me back on board.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

violetdragon posted:

But that set of Bizarro Liars was kind of strange. It seems so unlikely that a set of four friends with their own missing/dead Alisonesque friend would live a few towns over. This show is built on the unlikely, though, I suppose.

Have you been watching the same show as the rest of us? There are infinitely many groups of Liars, and all their Alisons are time-traveling undying monsters who befriended sorority witches.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
According to I Marlene King on twitter, we get to find out this season who pushed Ian off the bell tower.

(All we know is that Mona doesn't know who it was but wishes she did. So probably Ezra, Wren, or Jason.)

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
The CW will be airing a commercial during Pretty Little Liars tonight urging viewers who are tired of "A" to switch to the CW instead and watch The Originals which airs at the same time. PLL has responded on Twitter with "Bite Me. - A"

I think this is hilarious.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/14/originals-pretty-little-liars/

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Stabitha posted:

The CW will be airing a commercial during Pretty Little Liars tonight urging viewers who are tired of "A" to switch to the CW instead and watch The Originals which airs at the same time. PLL has responded on Twitter with "Bite Me. - A"

I think this is hilarious.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/14/originals-pretty-little-liars/

Haha, I wish I hadn't deleted PLL from my DVR already. I just fast forward through commercials, so I have no idea if this even aired in my area.

They didn't do a very good job with that commercial, though. They didn't highlight anything good about The Originals other than "not PLL." If I hadn't seen other commercials for it, I wouldn't even be sure it was about vampires based on that ad. Good job, CW.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, wait, hang on a second here. Are we still doing the "maybe real maybe not" Ali dreams even now we know she's alive? :tinfoil:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Autonomous Monster posted:

So, wait, hang on a second here. Are we still doing the "maybe real maybe not" Ali dreams even now we know she's alive? :tinfoil:

Who the hell knows. We have like two minutes of conversation between "real ali" and everyone.

For all we know she really could be dead and them seeing her was something ridiculous like someone using a holographic protector to create a fake ali for reasons.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Poor Spencer. :( I hope she gets to chew out Aria next week for believing Ezra's incredibly stupid lie.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Ezra was excessively blatant with that heavybag, but that was a great moment; the montage getting stopped right there was so good :allears:.

Also, the fact that Emily automatically believed Allison... I don't know. It's obviously manipulative and the fact that Emily doesn't see that aggrevates me. Even disregarding the fact that it wasn't necessarily a bad thing for Allison to do (she wants all the people in her corner to be working as hard as they can to solve the A thing), it was clearly manipulative.

I can't wait for Spencer's next psychotic breakdown.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cityinthesea posted:

I can't wait for Spencer's next psychotic breakdown.

I don't think there's a soul alive who wouldn't be totally down with Spencer going berserker on someone every episode until the series ends.

NEVER FORGET.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
That heavybag... :stonk:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Go Spencer :allears:.

Also I wonder who was the one Emily was being chased by. They didn't say one way or the other, but they led people to believe it wasn't EzrA.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ezra and that Holbrook guy were college buddies and Holbrook's been helping Ezra this whole time, to where Holbrook was creeping Hanna in this episode while Ezra targeted Emily or something.

Also, we're probably 1-2 episodes away from another Spencer breakdown, aren't we?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

xeria posted:

Also, we're probably 1-2 episodes away from another Spencer breakdown, aren't we?

We can only hope. Maybe she'll turn out to really be part of the A-team too. Which would be great because crazy/bitchy Spencer is the best.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I just want to express how much better every scene with Ezra is now that he's evil. "Fitz evilly removes a can of chickpeas from the pantry" is a thing that just happened

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Characters doing completely normal, innocuous things in a sinister way is one of my top two favourite things about PLL.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
To be honest, at this point... if I were Spencer I would assume every single place any of the liars would ever go is bugged in some way.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm glad they seem to be going full steam ahead with Ezra being actually villainous, rather than obfuscating it just enough to make you think maybe he really does have good intentions even if he's being sketchy about it (like Toby).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I'm mad because for a half second I thought this was really a Twin Peaks thread.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

I just want to express how much better every scene with Ezra is now that he's evil. "Fitz evilly removes a can of chickpeas from the pantry" is a thing that just happened

"Fitz sinisterly starts dating his underage student, convinces people who watch the series that the relationship is totally ok and healthy"

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm mad because for a half second I thought this was really a Twin Peaks thread.

My bad. I'm pretty sure there is an actual Twin Peaks thread around here somewhere though.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

xeria posted:

I'm glad they seem to be going full steam ahead with Ezra being actually villainous, rather than obfuscating it just enough to make you think maybe he really does have good intentions even if he's being sketchy about it (like Toby).

Me too, Evil EzrA makes the show much more watchable for me. I wish they would turn Toby again or kill him off or something, the only time he is bearable is when he's doing sneaky poo poo in a black hoodie and not speaking at all.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sooooo, is this a dream sequence or is Spencer having some sort of bizarre drug psychosis? Taking all bets!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
What the gently caress did I just watch?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Toby was great in this. Everyone was, of course, but Toby was extra good.

Also did anyone else think that Spencer getting caught in the garbage disposal talking to a character named Allison might be an Orphan Black reference?

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

This show :allears:

Cityinthesea posted:

Toby was great in this. Everyone was, of course, but Toby was extra good.
Never thought I'd agree with that sentiment, but here we are.

That was such a pretty episode. I wouldn't complain if they just finished the rest of the season that way. Although noir doesn't really lend itself well to those hilariously overwrought sinister moments we all know and love :v:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Aphra Bane posted:

This show :allears:

Never thought I'd agree with that sentiment, but here we are.

That was such a pretty episode. I wouldn't complain if they just finished the rest of the season that way. Although noir doesn't really lend itself well to those hilariously overwrought sinister moments we all know and love :v:

It helps that the show lends itself really well to this sort of style. We've had Hitchcock homages before, as well. As goofy-gently caress as PLL gets sometimes, it's real obvious the showrunners really like old-school horror/mystery and try to jam as much of that feel into the episodes as they can while still being effectively a teen drama on ABC Family.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
And to nobody's surprise, Ravenswood is cancelled. What are the odds of Caleb coming back? Also who thought freakin' Caleb would make a good spinoff lead? I'd rather watch Aria's mom learn about life, love and pastry in Austria (as portrayed by Los Angeles).

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

whowhatwhere posted:

And to nobody's surprise, Ravenswood is cancelled. What are the odds of Caleb coming back? Also who thought freakin' Caleb would make a good spinoff lead? I'd rather watch Aria's mom learn about life, love and pastry in Austria (as portrayed by Los Angeles).

The entire plot of Ravenswood was a dream Caleb had on the bus.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

whowhatwhere posted:

Pretty Little Liars does hope to get Caleb back now that Ravenswood is no more.

I also saw an interview with one of the executive producers who said that we haven't seen Spencer hit rock bottom yet. :getin:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they resolve the Ravenswood storyline by having Hanna go there, tell the curse to gently caress off, and drag Caleb back to Rosewood.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

SilentChaz posted:

I also saw an interview with one of the executive producers who said that we haven't seen Spencer hit rock bottom yet. :getin:

I'm excited. :neckbeard:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Congratulations, PLL! Ezra's explanation for his behavior has successfully made him more creepy!

"I slept with a high school girl, and then seduced another one in the name of JOURNALISM!!!"

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Does this mean he's not A? Because, ugh!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think his True Crime Novel Reporting included keeping a video feed on a bunch of high schoolers or his weird relationship with Mona, so EzrA is still alive for now. If anything, this episode means they can't give him an out where he was Secretly A Great Guy After All

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I think it does end up that he was just a creepy guy.

Honestly? I kinda have a theory that Allison is A, if Ezra ends up not being so. She is pretty much a sociopath already.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

xbilkis posted:

If anything, this episode means they can't give him an out where he was Secretly A Great Guy After All

Well according to the quotes from the cast and creator of the show in this article (slight spoilers), it sounds like that's where they want to take it and that is completely terrible. I'm sorry, but a grown man who seduces a 16 year old to research a novel, and spies on her and her friends for years is creepy and psychotic. Ezra is so much better of a character if he's creepy, and if they redeem his character, that means the show condones his completely reprehensible actions. UGH!

Stabitha fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 19, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Stabitha posted:

Well according to the quotes from the cast and creator of the show in this article, it sounds like that's where they want to take it and that is completely terrible. I'm sorry, but a grown man who seduces a 16 year old to research a novel, and spies on her and her friends for years is creepy and psychotic. Ezra is so much better of a character if he's creepy, and if they redeem his character, that means the show condones his completely reprehensible actions. UGH!

NO! NO! God DAMMIT show! They had a moment which suddenly revitalized the stalest relationship/character and made every moment featuring them tense as hell and they threw it away to cater to shippers and the need for another twist!

Also the show doesn't necessarily have to condone his actions to redeem him, but given how this show has been going so far it's going to.

Oh well, hopefully this means Wren is A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Stabitha posted:

Well according to the quotes from the cast and creator of the show in this article (slight spoilers), it sounds like that's where they want to take it and that is completely terrible. I'm sorry, but a grown man who seduces a 16 year old to research a novel, and spies on her and her friends for years is creepy and psychotic. Ezra is so much better of a character if he's creepy, and if they redeem his character, that means the show condones his completely reprehensible actions. UGH!

UGH! I may be done with this show. Why would you try to show girls that the super creepy teacher that stalked you and your friends for years and only got involved with you to find out about your dead/missing friend is totally okay and good?

Besides, the whole "omg this person is totally A... wait, nevermind!" thing is getting really old.

• Locked thread