Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For me the payoff was giving my war buddy a photograph of us, on the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ledgy posted:

Didnt Dennaton also say he was supposed to have a much more lasting role in the story at one point ? Too bad he's so bland gameplay wise.

His part was originally going to be an extension of a game like a small extra campaign, but their creative vision expanded until they had enough ideas for an entire extra game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Broseph Brostar posted:

His part was originally going to be an extension of a game like a small extra campaign, but their creative vision expanded until they had enough ideas for an entire extra game.

That's great- when are they planning to release it?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Anatharon posted:

Just having A+ on every hardly makes you 'gud'. :smuggo:

Got gud (again), game's still bad, Swans still good.

Sunk cost fallacies are a hell of a thing :mmmsmug:. At least the level editor is just around the corner. Possibly, maybe.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The fact that The Son's abilities are just a carbon copy of The Fans' (minus the best and most unique one) just drives home how under-utilized some of the other, more unique characters are.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Sykic posted:

Sunk cost fallacies are a hell of a thing :mmmsmug:. At least the level editor is just around the corner. Possibly, maybe.

You really need help if you S all levels of a game you hate.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Sykic posted:

lol at the times for dead ahead, death wish, casualties, demolition, and take over

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Future Days posted:

lol at the times for dead ahead, death wish, casualties, demolition, and take over

It's a bug that, as far as I can tell, is caused by taking longer than an hour in a level. I used to be not gud but even with newer, faster times it's still going to show that as my "best" :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

turboraton posted:

You really need help if you S all levels of a game you hate.

we've been over this

5:29 PM - Sykic: please don't use the words "star citizen" and "productivity" in the same sentence tia
5:29 PM - Coolguy: that game is bad.
5:30 PM - Sykic: it is.
5:30 PM - Sykic: they've made absolutely no attempt to fix ANYTHING since I last played
5:29 PM - Coolguy: butt the level editor
5:29 PM - Coolguy: now other people can fix everything
5:30 PM - Sykic: doors are still invincibility frames (HEEEEEH)
5:30 PM - Sykic: hitboxes are still garbage
5:31 PM - Sykic: you still get shot from offscreen

(for context, i had commented on some ex-star citizen lady who started a let's play channel and was posting a new episode like every 8 hours. i commented that i envied her productivity. sykic decided that hotline miami was less important than the message he sent me.)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 10, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
:words: :words: :words: :words:

For context : :words::words: :words:

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I both love and hate the message that HLM2 sent

The one right at the beginning. "There's a twist at the end, I doubt you or anyone will like it", not just talking about the Pig Butcher's demise, but the nuking of Florida and Hawaii, and how the fanbase would react to it.

Actually, I guess it also applies to the ending of everyone else's storylines, too!

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 10, 2015

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I both love and hate the message that HLM2 sent

The one right at the beginning. "There's a twist at the end, I doubt you or anyone will like it", not just talking about the Pig Butcher's demise, but the nuking of Florida and Hawaii, and how the fanbase would react to it.

I felt it more like a "we're ending this and there's no turning back" kind of statement.

On related editor news: http://dennaton.blogspot.se/2015/12/beta-installation-and-beta-period.html

Can't wait to see what kind of MY_SCHOOL.WAD poo poo we're going to play.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The level editor's new character is "The Hammer", y'know..the guy next to the jukebox here http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/hotline-miami/images/2/24/UiUhPPs.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150412224800

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Im glad they're considering a "Hotline Miami Maker" approach to this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So far the level editor sounds pretty legit. We can make full campaigns and not just levels? We can do custom sprites? All this stuff they told us wouldn't work is actually in there after all.

Gonna fire it up when I get off work for sure.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
And it's a WAD system, similar to Doom, which makes me curious if we can mod in our own sprites and poo poo like that if there just might be a way to hack in music...

:getin:

As soon as I get home from work (oh poo poo I'm gonna be late if I keep sitting here) I'll begin loving with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody remake the club scene from John Wick please

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Editor feels like the beta it is. I can't figure out if there's a way to zoom in/out, or scroll around the map area. The paint bucket for putting down flooring doesn't seem to work. The top menu coming down automatically means there's no way to actually use the top 2 rows of map space. And a bunch of other jank.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah its definitely a beta. Janky as all get out. Shows a ton of promise what with all the items and features, and the tools work pretty well, but there's some bugs and like you said, basic things missing, like how do you move the camera? And I don't think you can zoom right now which is hosed also.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So what's the real advantage to the Hammer, other than being able to fight every kind of enemy, barring soldiers?

Also, does he have a facial portrait that shows off his gigantic forehead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJhl79mWGZc Huh, he can sing really well it turns out.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 11, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its definitely a beta. Janky as all get out. Shows a ton of promise what with all the items and features, and the tools work pretty well, but there's some bugs and like you said, basic things missing, like how do you move the camera? And I don't think you can zoom right now which is hosed also.

You can click the middle mouse button and it will...move the grid to the bottom, but still not zoomed all the way out? I guess? And then there's no way to put it back?

If this thing actually worked it looks like it could be radical, but...beta. Hopefully it'll be fixed in less time than it took to get this far with it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Man it takes forever to save and playtest... It's fun to screw around with but I'm now used to Super Mario Maker and this just is cumbersome in comparison. But, still, it's a beta. I can only hope that is a thing that gets fixed in the future.

Anyone make any levels yet?

Edit: Oh, it crashed upon playtest. :suicide:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Have they even said they intend to continue work on it because even this release sort of sagged over the finish line like an asthmatic man trying to try out for the track team

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coolguye posted:

Have they even said they intend to continue work on it because even this release sort of sagged over the finish line like an asthmatic man trying to try out for the track team

Yeah they're still working on it, the only reason we're even getting the beta is because they're taking a ludicrously long time working on it and they wanted to release something to tide people over. Probably because Dennaton literally just consists of two guys loving around in their spare time and they may already have other poo poo on their plate right now.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah they're still working on it, the only reason we're even getting the beta is because they're taking a ludicrously long time working on it and they wanted to release something to tide people over. Probably because Dennaton literally just consists of two guys loving around in their spare time and they may already have other poo poo on their plate right now.

:golfclap:

Anyway, yeah this needs a zoom function for sure.

EDIT: Second attempt using the editor goes way smoother, and saving and playtesting is much quicker now!

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Anyone make any levels yet?

Not yet because

Skunkrocker posted:

Edit: Oh, it crashed upon playtest. :suicide:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is kind of a laborious ui.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Isn't Armature supposed to be helping them with this too

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What the gently caress tool did dennaton use to build the levels? Notepad?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UIApplication posted:

What the gently caress tool did dennaton use to build the levels? Notepad?

Isn't the game made with gamemaker? I assume that has some tools that comes with it, but they couldn't just distribute that without saying "everybody buy gameMaker and download this plugin"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah, and they're trying to build a level editor in Gamemaker, making that have any sort of ingame tool of any sort is already a comically tall order

tbqh they should have just contracted out for a third party program that makes GM-readable levels and scripting, that would have been much easier

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hotline Miami 2 isn't made in Game Maker, it's made in the same custom engine as Hotline Miami 1's re-release/Playstation port.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Hotline Miami 2 isn't made in Game Maker, it's made in the same custom engine as Hotline Miami 1's re-release/Playstation port.

Ah, that's right.

Makes you wonder how they made the levels then and why they don't just release that. Did they just manually flip data in notepad? Was it just always super buggy? Or is there some other proprietary tool they used?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well to be fair that custom engine thing is literally a modified version of Gamemaker, soooo...?

EDIT: Okay. This editor is totally unfuckingusable. I just had a level, I'm not going to say it was good because it probably sucked, but it looked nice. Went to save. Saving took forever, crash.

Corrupted. Lost all the progress. Including previously saved progress.

:suicide:

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 12, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's a beta! Gotta love it!

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, that's right.

Makes you wonder how they made the levels then and why they don't just release that. Did they just manually flip data in notepad? Was it just always super buggy? Or is there some other proprietary tool they used?

There's probably numerous factors involved. They may very well have used another kind of software/middleware they can't just give every user a free copy of, or they may have just made it within the engine's software itself and that probably involves you generally knowing what you're doing with regards to software engineering - which I used to think they'd get more complaints about than if they took a long time to release it, but recent events in video game land have given me pause on that. Kind of like how Portal 2's levels were all made in Hammer but they released and marketed a simplified editor anyways.

Beta shows promise and is actually more intuitive and feature-rich than I was expecting - kudos to the guys for managing to offer (experimental, but still) custom sprite support after all - but the fact that it's missing basic features like "being able to pan around the map you're making" is a little worrying. (Or maybe I'm not smart enough to have found it yet.)

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 12, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Apparently Reddit is having way more luck with the editor than I am.

:suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The level editor is fun to gently caress around with so far but the only level I've made hard-locked my game upon clicking the 'save' button. I had to ctrl-alt-del and end task to make it go away. I THINK it may be because I made the level too large? I'm not sure.

Also, I have no idea how to scroll the camera and doing the middle click thing fucks up the camera position and makes the cursor vanish.

edit: In addition, be careful when you're using the auto-floor/wall tool. If you create a tile using the tool that touches an edge of the map, it'll create walls outside the grid that you can't edit except for deleting them. You can't manually place walls there, so you have to be at least one tile from the edge in order to make walls that can connect to others.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 12, 2015

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

http://puu.sh/lR74E/aaaf94fd78.mp4

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pirate Jet posted:

software engineering

These words do not belong in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrUoFGxhEI

Here's my first successfully saved custom level, it was pretty fun to make but it took quite a while for what eventually became a 1.5 minute play.

edit: Something that's a particular bummer is that there's no Save As for saving your levels. If you save a level you have opened under a different name, it just deletes the old one and saves it again under the new name instead of creating a copy.

I've solved this by just making a template for the "hub" level and copy/pasting it a whole assload in my levels folder but that's a pretty sloppy solution and I hope a copy/paste command makes it into the full thing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread