Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
One of the characters you play as is a janitor after the Biker/Jacket showdown in Phonhom. It's over six hours of scrubbing, mopping and buffing floors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh my god this trailer is super baller and where is my game I need it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Possibly for that character you choose the weapon set you want to run the level through with and he gets special abilities and reloads for those weapons.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Anatharon posted:

When I asked Dennis Wedin at E3 what he thought the theme of Hotline Miami 2 was, that's what he told me. :shrug:

Everything comes to an end... except for this games' development! Wakka wakka wakka!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hakkesshu posted:

When is this game loving coming out, jesus

You have to murder someone in real life and then you'll get a phonecall with a STEAM key.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Part of the reason why I'm not in arms about GTA5 being delayed for the PC again is because of this game coming out in March. Preorder secured, I'm so hype to play this! Any idea if the level editor will be in the game too?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I work retail and half the staff who work there are always calling in sick, so my phone rings constantly when they want to call me in.

I set the ringtone for work's number to Silver Lights and now whenever I hear the song under any capacity I get twitchy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hotline Miami manages to feel more grimy and nasty than a thousand and one videogames that use a quarter of its pallet and a hundred times more detail. That's a massive loving accomplishment.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can lock onto people in HLM1 by clicking middle mouse on them, if that's what you mean.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There are only a few instances where I'll lock onto people, like the ones crouched behind tables in that one mission with the bomb.

I remember when I used to meticulously plan out my every move, take the levels slow and execute on my actions step by step. This is not the way to play HLM.

The way to play and succeed at the game is by running nonstop and going at everything like a loving berserker! It doesn't matter what weapon you pick up, just take a glance and do your best and if you die then the run wasn't meant to be. Keep that combo going and your boldness up and your rating will be a good one

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think Assault has to be one of my favourite levels in HLM1 (Excluding the disco, obviously). You really feel that things have come to an absolute boil and as the penultimate level for Jacket's arc, it's a really sick ramp up to the final level.

The level requires you to rely almost entirely on guns, which gives the level an incredibly tense feel because death comes extremely swiftly. Knock Knock, the track used for the level, fits a full-front assault on a police station fantastically, with the insidious thumping tone and the catchy wubba-dubba-dub-dub in the background setting the scene wonderfully for unmitigated cop slaughter. The fact that it's not a phonecall mission makes it incredibly badass because the carnage he reaps is entirely of his own volition, he's so pissed about what's happened that nothing's going to stop him.

Seeing the chief of police boarded up in his office, clearly scared shitless by Jacket, is a real holy poo poo moment. People clearly know what he's capable of and know that they're not going to be able to stop him. I almost feel bad for Richter in his cell who can do nothing but wait and listen.

E: level level level level level

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Woah, you go big guy!

Then you shoot said big guy a bunch with the shotgun and he still kills you with one punch god drat it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Accordion Man posted:

If I remember right they said 2's not going to have boss fights at all.

Suits me fine. I think that boss fights in most games that aren't designed around them are kind of an artifact now. I hate games that have really fun, solid core gameplay and then they throw a boss at you that slows things down but doesn't actually add much to the game.

HLM1's bosses weren't bad at all, mind, but that was because they didn't take long to do. They were just a little more cerebral, and given that the game is basically one big combat puzzle anyway they weren't too obtrusive. The real "boss level" of the game was the hospital and I hope we don't face anything like that in the new one.

I didn't even find that level a problem, but a lot of my friends did and some were put off to the point that they didn't get to see the last third of the game, which is really disappointing to me.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

AndyElusive posted:

I don't mean to sound like a dick when I suggest that this sounds more like a problem with your friends than an issue with the game itself.

A few challenging levels at various points in HLM doesn't mean they need to dumb the difficulty down or remove set piece stages so more people can complete it, if that's what you're suggesting.

Nah it's cool, I agree. The level isn't even that bad, and in fact I kind of like it since it sets a fantastic mood and really underlines how unstoppable Jacket is, but it did feel a little too long for its own good.

With the multiple character angle we're going to see a lot more variation in the gameplay and I'm sure there'll be some unique set peice levels to look forward to, but I wouldn't say the hospital level is something I particularly look forward to when I'm replaying the game again.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Originally I had three days from today to do take our easy and enjoy a spot of the old ultraviolence, but by some twist of fate my -*girlfriend*- also has these days off.

I like hurting other people but I don't like hurting her feelings, so I'd rather not fob her off just to to lock myself in a darkened room falling into a murder-trance while listening to techno music :v: So it goes!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wow, looks like the game is going to be divisive. The general gist I'm getting is that it's the same but different.

Maybe it's not so pure and simple compared to its predecessor but remaking the first game wouldn't have worked a second time, I think. Still hyped for this game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been loving this game but Dead Ahead is my personal level where I'm going to have to put it down and take a break until tommorow. That level could really do with 50% less enemies on the floor, one fuckup and you're completely overwhelmed.

Loving the atmosphere and the different gameplay styles of all the characters, though. It definetly feels grimier and more downtrodden, and it's a very different atmosphere to the first time, but I've had a great time. Alex and Ash are ridiculously fun to play.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Even though the level design might be suspect, I really like the writer's nonlethal approach. It's strange and awkward at first, but after seeing so much bloodshed there's something inherently awesome about a character that leaves a floor full of squirming, battered but still-living goons writhing in agony before he politely confronts a mafioso.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I had to restart that level because I went up with a silenced pistol, full magazine but it was just too difficult because by the time I needed another gun to take out the heavies, it was too dangerous to get it.

The best way to do that level is to make sure you're ALWAYS carrying the big machine gun with 30 bullets. It's the only weapon worth a drat. Park yourself outside the first door, shoot the dogs down the corridor and keep firing so anyone who runs out to get you eats a wall of lead.

Honestly, if it's not too hard to edit the levels, I'd love to see a patch that removes like 30% of the windows, 40% of the enemies and slightly increases the shiftlook range in later levels for normal mode. I think the cause of HLM2's faults is that the people who tested the game must have been really, really dedicated to playing that game, as these levels require some serious chops to play in any other way than "Camp corners until you've left a morbid doormat of corpses three feet from where you started".

It's not enough to put me off finishing, because HLM's sense of style is still present and accounted for even here, but it does feel like the cards are heavily stacked against you. It'd be cool if larger characters like Bear played by heavy gunner rules too so they could take a bunch of hits before expiring: That way you could keep the level design largely the same but allow for a little more flexibility in rampages.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

atomicthumbs posted:

I know that this is a controversial opinion but: hotline miami 2 is a good game and I enjoyed it

Don't get me wrong, I really love this game and I'm having a blast playing it. There are just some very valid criticisms that shouldn't be ignored (And can possibly be fixed in later patches).

Whoever said that this is the Doom 2 to Doom 1 is completely and utterly right. Those games were largely the same, but Doom 2's level design was nowhere near as clean and simple as Doom 1's, which wound up working against it. In Doom 2 there were still a bunch of fun and memorable missions, but the run n' gun gameplay of the original was severely hampered by levels which punished you for rushing through them until you got very, very good, enemies who were a lot more annoying than they should be and mechanics that needed to be exploited rather than mastered. There were a lot of people who liked Doom 2, but it felt like a departure from the simplicity of the first.

It's the same here. The core gameplay of HLM2 is still very fun, the Fans feel great to play as, there are a fair few characters who have mechanics that could be a lot of fun but the level design works against you in very major ways to ensure they never really get to have their full potential. What made the original game great is still present and accounted for: The first 7 or so levels are incredible fun, but then the game gets too ambitious and the simplicity of the game just isn't there anymore. Not in a way that's entertaining at least: You'll play this game in a method that works, not a method that's fun. Corner popping and a giant pile of guns and bodies isn't anywhere near as cool as blitzing through hallways as Corey blasting people and rolling weapon to weapon, but that's what you gotta do later on.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Has anyone gotten in touch with the dev and asked if level tweaks might be on the card?

RE 1985: At first I thought that the ammo boxes resupplying only a small amount was a warning for you to not burn through ammo, but considering you can rearm at them infinitely... honestly, I think they should just give you a full magazine.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really really want a shitload more Alex/Ash levels. Those two feel the most fun to play of all the characters because it's such a cool take on the melee/ranged gameplay (Buggy pathfinding notwithstanding).

Alex and Ash are the ones that have the most payoff for playing the game like it's HLM1.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Honestly I think the main menu theme deserves a shout out because it's incredible and fits the game's atmosphere perfectly, just like HLM1's did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXU-OYPhy0

It's slow and sad and miserable and really underlines that nothing's going to work out right for anyone. HLM1's theme was surreal and disjointed, just like the rest of the game, but everything is (for the large part) a lot more down to earth in HLM2 and the theme reflects it perfectly. It's a great song for a broken human.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Completed it with 8 hours on the clock.

After you get past the initial surprise that the game plays a lot different to the original and settle into its gameplay style, it becomes a lot more enjoyable and the story beats kept me going. I died a lot and from the second half of the game onwards I was struggling to reach even C+ ranking, but I can say that I was never frustrated enough to not enjoy the time I spent playing it and I really enjoyed the different characters and their gameplay styles. The presentation was slick as ever, the music was once again spectacular and goddamn was that last level something special.

It's worth stating once again that I could easily play several hours more Alex and Ash levels because they allow for the most frenzied, awesome looking sprees in the series. I'd still like to see the levels get tweaked so there aren't so many gently caress-yous, but after you learn to adapt to them you don't really notice them anymore. If you want to see how much this game makes you improve at it, go back and play some of the earlier levels you might have struggled on and see just how simple they are compared to some of the later stuff.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really enjoy how they made (Late game character) Richter such a sympathetic character. The poo poo he pulls off in HLM1 makes you want to hate him (Even though I actually spared him in that game first time through), but then you get into HLM2 and he's the sweetest mass-murderer you could hope to meet :unsmith: I'm glad he got the only real happy ending in the series. He's accepted his fate and gets to die somewhere sunny with the person who matters in his life.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Unique little thing about the Detective: Someone pointed out earlier that he can turn around faster than other characters and even has an animation for it if you swing him around fast enough, but I've discovered that he can actually finish off downed enemies if he's holding a shotgun (Via a blow to the head, no ammo expended) and will maintain posession of it afterwards.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Swans: Guaranteed A+ or your chainsaw back

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Plotline Miami

I'm not going to call the game's story mind-shatteringly good or anything but the way it's presented and the amount of discussion it generates is so baller for a game about crazed murderers and combo counters.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Anatharon posted:

If the level editor allows for intro/outro scenes too I'll be interested in seeing alt versions of Miami 2.

Evan: hey pardo i am writing my book on dicks
Pardo: boy i love dicks i enjoy sucking many

OBJECTIVE: kill all the dickmen

Yes. I see wonderful things ahead.

E: Personally I can't wait to make a level full of Henchman's Cat :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i don't know why i can't stop laughing at blinking, toothed Richard when he's a still image

the german is icing on the cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Overall time is entirely unrelated to Time Bonus, right? I saw a review that said it was, but I guess they were just misinformed.

Also, what does Special mean? Is it related to a character's special abilities, or..?

vvv The boat is by far the worst level. Just push through it and it's gravy.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 15, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Probably not too farfetched to say that killing other soliders is one thing but murdering a homeless guy is another

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MONKET posted:

The best character would be Tony capable of dodgerolling with right click flamethrower breath, prove me wrong.

Only if he was accompanied by a second Tony that fired laser beams from his eyes.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's either a feat of programming or a cruel twist of fate that this game gives you just long enough to think or say "Oh gently caress!" once you realise you've hosed up before the game brutally kills you.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
ITT: Hotline Miami Ballistic Forensics

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Sykic posted:

(gently caress doors)

So no, I don't think so.

Evan's a nice guy and really really doesn't want to hurt the poor henchman :smith:

E: I like to think of the enemies crawling up into the corner of the doorframe like a giant spider when that happens.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I found an image of one of the beta testers for this game:

He said he loved it!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was stuck on Dead Ahead for about 50 minutes when I first did it. I'm replaying the game (On normal) and I managed to steamroll it no problem, but still missed the time bonus overall.

It's by far the worst level but the cover shooter part isn't even the worst part of it, I think the shelfing floor with the six smaller rooms at the bottom and top is the most obnoxious.

The Flamethrower unlock for the Hawaii levels makes replaying them a dream though. It's almost as if they knew the player would rather just cut the bullshit and go on the rampage they've been dreaming of and gave you the ultimate weapon to do so with :black101:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really do hope the level editors allow for custom dialogue. I want an alternate timeline where the Fans wind up doing exactly what they were dreading. Instead of hearing noises in the back of the drug dealer's place and coming across something worse, they just move on, run out of targets and wind up murdering people over the most petty things.

Mission: Break into a dude's house and murder him for jaywalking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A level where the Fans go out to find something to do, find nothing, then go back home and sulk. Mark offers to get pizza.

Cue six hours of non-stop, unrelenting mega-slaughter where Mark has to battle through an entire city block to retrieve the pizza for his friends.

• Locked thread