Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

How do you unlock the bull mask on the vita version?

I would also like to know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Parachute posted:

Speaking of, is anyone doing anything HM-related for Halloween this year?

I'm going as Jacket to a party. I'm just waiting on the jacket to get here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

Is it the official(?) Jacket jacket that one nerd shirt company was doing? I was thinking about getting that one, but the end result really didn't seem to look right color-wise, I wasn't feeling the type of letter they used, and it was pretty pricy for something that felt off to me.

I know they wanted to go off of that one promo poster, but even that didn't feel like it clicked somehow.

Nah, I got a cheap jacket from China.

Me and a friend of mine who does art direction on films bloodied up the Jacket and hosed up the bat after that one was taken.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have the big LP set coming too. For the game code is it the normal version or the deluxe edition with the remix EP?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Falsum posted:

What makes games non-art? The vast majority are not good art, but this is the case for movies and books as well.

I would argue that games like Far Cry 4 are not art because they are made by thousands of people with no one real visionary behind them steering the ship, for purely commercial reasons. Well, maybe not "not art" but definitely low art.

Hotline Miami is made by like two dudes who clearly have something to say, though. So it's art for sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's right though. It was DolphinCop who is opposed to all depictions of rape, but is also posting in a thread about one of the most violent games ever made and not seeing the disconnect in those two forms of thinking.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WickedHate posted:

:hfive:

I'm not against all depiction of it, but equating any other kind of physical violence with sexual assault is a bad argument though. It's just different and people are gonna have to accept it. That doesn't mean the scene shouldn't be in the game or anything, but "Well it has a lot of blood so why NOT have rape" isn't right either.

I'd guess that people who have PTSD from being put into violent situations would take issue with you thinking their pain is somehow less than that of people who have PTSD from sexually violent situations.

Like everything else, the depiction of sexual violence being offensive or not comes down to context. The stupid getting felt up QTE in Tomb Raider was terrible because it was lazy, pointless, shock value bullshit. Just like most of the non-sexual ultraviolence in that game. The scene in question in Hotline Miami 2 is actually saying something, and isn't just there for it's own sake. Them putting in the option is a good thing, because it will let people who do have PTSD issues from that kind of thing play the game, but it's not something that should be wiped from all media. All that's going to do is make it some unspoken of taboo without showing any of the actual consequences of it.

But anyway, how about that Pertubator?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Another thing about putting that scene behind a prompt is that it makes you actively want to watch that. It makes you complicit in watching a rape scene in a video game. I think it actually makes more of a statement that way and relates pretty strongly to the theme of the first game.

I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, you're right. That fits shockingly well, actually.

I'm pretty excited for this game, you guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Only God Forgives is a beautifully shot movie with an excellent soundtrack that is so boring I nearly fell asleep watching it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

InsidiousMuppet posted:

My vinyl just arrived and , gosh, it's a beautiful package. Sadly looks like the soundtrack itself won't unlock digitally until the game does; I was hoping to get that digitally right away.

In the same boat. Because the other guy earlier had a bad camera, I took some shots of the whole thing. Here you guys go:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Geight posted:

The Steam code they give you is for the Digital Deluxe Edition, so it should.

Yeah, I would guess it does. But I don't think any of the Payday 2 stuff unlocks until the game and soundtrack unlock, so we won't be able to say 100% until Tuesday.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had the same problem when I first played it. I tried to do the first level like a stealth game and kept getting murdered. I finally got frustrated enough that I just angrily ran into it out of frustration, and ended up killing everyone and getting an A ranking. That's when it all clicked for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've never used anything but a controller (or Vita) to control this game and I am very good at it.

Also in the newest PC update that I had no idea happened you can actually swap the shoulder and triggers so that the bumpers no longer attack.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This new update is rad, by the way. Super high res Hotline Miami :catdrugs:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From the trophy leak and the comics it seems like both "endings" are somehow canon, despite that being impossible with the Jacket/Biker fight. I wonder if they're going to even attempt to explain it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I picked up my vinyl on friday but haven't looked inside just yet. Where's the game code located?

Phone card attached to the inside. You can see it in the pictures I posted earlier. I removed it, got the code, then put it back in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Portland Sucks posted:

I really loved playing through the first HLM and I'm super stoked for the second. Obviously loved the gameplay, soundtrack, whole nine-yards thing that it had going for it.

What I don't quite get is where you guys are coming up with this whole back story. I didn't catch anything more than being a nameless hitman that gets taunted by a group of dudes in masks and wakes up in cold sweats throughout the whole game. What am I missing out on?

Like memy said, if you finish the game there's a lot of stuff in the short 2nd campaign, I guess you'd call it. And then there's the scraps of paper you find around Jacket's apartment. And all the other dead, masked hitmen you can find around certain levels. And the stuff you learn if you find all the puzzle pieces. And then stuff that's left more vague like that Richter/Beard theories.

E: Also the group of dudes in masks he's taunted by are all in his head while he's in a coma in the hospital. If you listen to what they say and what the dates are this is made pretty clear. They also all have the same sprites as other characters in the game, each representing different parts of his own psyche/memory. The horse has the same sprite as the girl he rescues, and is the one that's sympathetic to him, the one with the body of the russians you kill all through the game hates you, and rooster is you. A lot of the storytelling is done visually like this, but it's there.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waffle! posted:

I can't wait to come back to the last 4 pages after tomorrow to read what all these spoiler tags are about. :haw:

Stuff from the first game and theories/speculation, mostly. Nothing but the leaked trophies has had any real spoilers, and even that had no context around it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dugong posted:

Where's the cheapest online place to order this from goons?

Steam. It's only $10, there's probably not going to be any super deep discounts on it anywhere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

10am, pacific time zone, on the Tuesday of March 9th, 2015.

You got so close on this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Last minute completion before HL2. One puzzle piece per chapter, not "level", right?

It's per-level.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Games up. It's nearly 3 gigs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

What a joker

It's actually around 700 megs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh I guess that must be the deluxe edition then because

Edit: It's done, bye thread :byewhore:

Ah, makes sense, didn't take that into account.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Is this Euro Time because the game's not dropped here. Unless they're rolling it out on a per-timezone basis.

Restart Steam.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Played for about an hour and a half, and yes, this game is more of the first, but with a few interesting gimmicks for each character. I don't see myself using Tony much, as a lot of these levels seem packed with gun guys that it's harder to melee. I could see this becoming a problem with the Journalist later, but so far it hasn't been one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

the storyline isn't very cohesive. Soldier's sections are a bit out of nowhere, and everybody's sees the rooster for no reason. Also, police storyline was a movie?? Don't get it... also lol nuke ending yeh. "you won't like the twist" indeed

Great job on the untagged spoilers here, rear end in a top hat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Meiteron posted:

Question about the double-Uzi Fan, is there any way to reload those guns mid-level? I tried him out on the scene that leads down into the Sewers but I ran out of ammo leading into the third map and it was basically impossible to finish at that point just by punching.

On the bright side I just redid it as the twins and walked away with a S rank after a 18 combo. Those guys are my jam.

You can't reload, but you can pick up other guns and weapons when they run out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just finished it. Couple of story questions:

Is the guy who gets shot and survives in the Soldier's unit supposed to be Jacket? I notice he was the only one of the four who doesn't have any dialogue, unless I'm misremembering.

Does something different happen with the Writer if you go to the typewriter instead of the phone in the last mission?

Is it possible to to survive Jake's last mission, or do you die no matter what?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks. And a couple of achievement/trophy questions:

Did the one about meeting Biker get removed? I don't see it in the list, or any hiddens in the list. I also never encountered him other than outside the court house.

I don't think I killed anyone in the writers missions, except the very first guy outside the club who it seems like you have to kill? Did you not have to kill him or did I just gently caress up?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The game is much, much harder than the first. But I don't think it's better or worse than the first. Just harder. There were a few levels that took me about 40 minutes to beat, but those were mostly due to me not "getting" something about them. I don't think it's as good as the first game, but it's not some crushing disappointment either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Brovstin posted:

The Presidential assassination really seems like something that should have been playable.

I'm also amazed that there isn't a scene where you get sent to Jacket's place as Richter.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I believe the makers are trolling us. They introduce and build up these main characters, only to abruptly kill them off with much of the game still to go. By scene 18 Martin , Jake, The Henchman and the Fans have all died and accomplished nothing. It would have been cool if they'd just done a straight sequel where all these interesting characters converge somehow.

The thing I think that's getting a lot of people here is that Hotline Miami 2 isn't a story about characters, it's all about the world that they're inhabiting. By the end of this game, with poo poo like America fighting a losing war against the Russians in Hawaii the idea of the 50 Blessings existing makes a lot more sense. Also even though we're being told through other characters, I would argue that the real main character of this game is still Jacket. Think about it, we have the Journalist letting his family fall apart to write a book about him, we have the Detective hunting down another 50 Blessings killer, we have the Son of the guy Jacket kills at the end of 1 who's totally lost his poo poo due to that, we have the Fans who idolize him and think they're "carrying on his work," and then of course you have Richter being made into more than a faceless murderer, and actually just as, if not more sympathetic than Jacket himself ever was. And of course you have Soldier/Beard serving alongside Jacket in Hawaii, showing how they came to be friends in the first place, and how they fell in with 50 Blessings in a roundabout way. The only guy who really feels out of place to me is the Henchman, but he's only around for one mission anyway. Jake even ties in as he's one of the guys being tortured you find in the first game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Control Volume posted:

When you're doing nothing but firing off bullets to attract people and chainsawing assholes, the twins are amazing fun and the section where you're forced to play them was the most fun and hectic in that level.

Yeah, this. Soon as I figured it out I just wrecked poo poo with them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

psychoJ posted:

Uuuuuuum. (Scene 15 spoilers)
So is it possible to actually beat that level? Because that was... a weird way to end that.

I asked this earlier and even if you beat it, you get killed in a cut scene. Kind of has to happen as Jacket finds Jake's body in the first game and all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, they didn't make a "bad" Hotline Miami. They made a different, harder Hotline Miami. I can totally get why people wouldn't be as into it as the first game though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as exactly 0% of people on Steam have any of the three hidden achievements, and same goes for the "the big picture" one, my guess is there's probably a hidden thing like the puzzle that no one has got yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Subway is the worst. you guys are nuts!

I liked Subway a lot :unsmith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Anyone know how to unlock the abyss?

Curious about this and the Bar of Broken Heroes or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Erata posted:

Well that sure was an ending. I warmed up to the game toward the end. Son's levels didn't seem too unfair and I managed to find a flow. Hooray!
Soldier levels suck. Again, I really appreciated the risks they took experimenting, but ugh. Also discovered there is a :stare: S rank.

A brief theory about that one character everyone remembers and keeps mentioning.

Jacket is a dream! He's dead, but he murdered an army of dudes. That stuck with the society in HM2.
Jacket is a metaphor for fear, phobia, and misguided desire. It's why he speaks in riddles. The viewer understands what is hosed up about the characters Jacket "speaks to", but those characters don't accept what they're doing is wrong. They're in denial except for the crazy colonel who appeared to accept responsibility for his faults.
Richard the Cock(Jacket) is kinda similar to the Sword of Damocles imo. He represents dread.
As for the supernatural recursion in Hard/NG+. I think it's just fun and creepy and not necessarily meant to be deep.

Jacket isn't dead, he's in jail.

• Locked thread