Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Not getting killed by dogs was immensely helpful at least once too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If it's a prank by Hotline Miami's creators it looks like there's a little too much work put into it for that. If it's a deliberate rip-off it looks too similar to the real deal to be safe from copyright claims. I am very conflicted about how I'm supposed to take this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://youtu.be/AixOBp15KdI

This guy is pretty fascinating. He says that the endings are basically, "If you wanted a more meaningful ending, you got one, if you don't, you don't."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if Mike Diva is going to do any videos related to this. Dude loves this kind of aesthetic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, there's a floor finishing move where you have an Uzi. Hardcore.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This one guy thinks he's Batman. He doesn't pick up a gun, he dismantles a gun.

Challenging but I like what they were going for here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://youtu.be/-KUrzRAA0Lo?list=PLURBlBqSzVmH8ZxBwnIiQgTDi7hbcA89k

drat I loved this one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, since practically everyone is hallucinating Richard, does that mean he's basically become some sort of pervasive cultural icon?

I'm reminded of Paranoia Agent in that regard.

Actually I would be surprised if these guys weren't fans of Satoshi Kon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Does Richter have any special ability? like the detective, which appears to have none, but it's really just subtle.

What IS the Detective's ability?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Considering the rape scene in the first level is almost directly lifted from Perfect Blue I'd say either they are or they're into a lot of the same themes as Kon anyway.

Yeah, that was straight out of Perfect Blue. If these guys haven't seen that movie I'll be very surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe this is "out there" since the two series couldn't be more different, but I'm drawing a lot of mental comparisons between Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2 and the first two Katamari Damacy games. Both were designed by guys who were sort of "punk" artists who took a cavalier attitude towards game design, the first games were very small and concise and low-budget, one of the most commented-on aspect of each was the soundtrack, the first games in the series were small and simplistic and introduced the core concepts while the sequels introduced wildly-divergent elements to mix up the gameplay. The sequels to both Katamari Damacy and Hotline Miami were direct responses to fan reactions of the original games. "Fans" are a big element in both games, with the game itself directly commenting on the fandom and what they expect from the franchise. The sequels also included more traditional levels in addition to levels which added some gimmick or constraint.

But where Katamari Damacy refused to die because it's an IP owned by a large publisher, Hotline Miami got to finish conclusively with its sequel and is probably all the better for it.

I like this analysis.

• Locked thread