Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The game is actively making fun of and dismissing people who use rape as a shock tactic to make their works for edgy and "mature", though I can guess that's hard to see when you're so hellbent on viewing anything even approaching the subject of "rape", whether in a positive or negative light, as something evil that must be erased. The director, who's intent to use rape just to make his film darker, is depicted as an obvious scumbag and just a lovely person in general. The game is not using rape to make itself seem more horrible and edgy, it is trashing those people who do.

But no, implied rape, lets not do any research or think about it too hard, lets just go back to murdering hundreds of dogs and people with drills and screwdrivers where it's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As long as you don't press buttons to perform the rape (the whole part is in a cutscene, you don't actually perform Rape Combos), I don't see what the difference is between it being in a game and it being in a movie or a book.

Also I wasn't excusing the rape because you murder people, but I'll give you the point that adding that last bit was a miss-step. I don't feel like it diminished my main point, however, that trashing the act of adding shock-rape to a narrative does not mean you are advocating the use of shock-rape in your narrative.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You don't play the rape part. It's literally 10 seconds, maybe, of a non-interactive cutscene. Why does it being in a videogame matter? Are videogames not allowed to have as heavy themes as movies or books?

As for:

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, but is it arguable that the game won't necessarily fall into the trap of "war movies showing the horror of war end up glorifying war"? It's not law, precedent isn't king.

You said it yourself, precedent isn't king. My belief that it's not going to fall into the trap is just as valid as your belief that it is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Trainmonk posted:

Yeah but that doesn't matter because the article that spawned this discussion clearly shows how affected someone was by what little happened. Do you think a rape victim can be triggered less than fully?

Also I don't even see much of an argument for why rape should be in movies or books either, because it's not like it can be tastefully done.

Rape commentary should be allowed in anything that wants to put it in, because censorship kills creative works, and even if I agreed with you that it couldn't be handled maturely, I wouldn't agree that completely shutting down any discussion of it would be any better. This does not mean I think people should be immune to the consequences of their actions just becuase they say it's a work of art. If some shithead wants to add rape completely out of context to a work of theirs for shock value or anything like that, than they deserve any backlash they get, and if the Hotline Miami devs sink because they mentioned rape in their game, than so be it, they went into this project knowing full-well what kind of reception they could get.

As for being triggered by rape in a game, that sucks pretty hard, but it's well within the developer's rights to put whatever they want in their game.

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Cool thread about a cool game ruined by stupid rape talk thanks a lot games.

In any other thread I would agree with you, but this subject is specifically broached by the creators of the game, and subject matter within the game itself. Give it a few days to pass, like it did at the end of the Hotline Miami thread and the first two times in the first version of this thread.

E: Finally we're on the same page. VVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 15, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, it one thing to think that rape commentary should be allowed, but it is in no way a discussion. Bringing your opinion into the matter won't actively change or develop the way the scene plays out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And, similarly, doing nothing but making your case worse.

E: Don't do this. Take that to The Media In General thread please. VVVV

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Serperoth posted:

watching their own avatar (ie. themselves) performing these acts.

Act Out Performing These Acts. He isn't actually raping anyone in the scene we've been introduced to. He's acting. I know in the broad strokes of things it doesn't matter too much, but I feel like we should get back to discussing what's actually in the game if we're going to be talking about this subject.

Of course if you start raping people outside of that one context, all bets are off. That'd be pretty hosed and not helping the original point at all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Someone asked about the soundtrack earlier:

I think, as far as what's been confirmed, most of the original artists are putting in new tracks (or tracks they've already created, just weren't in the first) this time around, and one of the devs was wearing a band shirt that people got hyped about.

Unless someone as more information, which, if that's the case, hit me up. Love this soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No it's not? He's talking about a rape as depicted in a textbook, free of any narrative setting or greater context than "this is what rape is, no names have been used to protect the innocent". This is getting pretty out of hand.

• Locked thread