Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

e: a loving stealth section what

The stealth section is bad, but did you ever take the time to notice the stark differences between it and the rest of the game? It may be consequential rather than deliberate, but it does a good job of showing why Hotline Miami works.

quote:

Bonus chapters why

Because throwing knives into dudes' faces is a great way to come down from the coke binge that is Hotline Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The complaints about difficulty make me wonder how many people here actually did beat HLM1. Yeah the first few levels you can just zerker rush in about a 1 minute but everything after Hot and Heavy is basically the same deal as HLM2.

I would agree that ramping up to Assualt/Vengence tiers of difficulty in about the 4th chapter is kind of questionable, but everyone is acting like open spaces against shotgunners is something that only opens in Wrong Number which is really, really not true.

:agreed:

Most of the complaints I read just seem like people being bad at the game. Like specifically about getting shot from off screen, I just press R and use shift next time, it really hasn't been a problem for me. I get the impression from a lot of goons that they aren't actually into HLM as much as they thought they were.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem is there are several areas where there is a guy with a gun waiting in hallways longer than you can shift look. And they have a longer vision range than that.

From a few pages back (drat this thread can move fast) but this simply isn't true at all in my experience. I am always able to shift look far enough to see enemies before they can see me. It didn't take long to figure out that shift looking down long hallways as I advance was a good idea.

What people are saying about HLM2 being an offbeat sequel or a romhack makes a lot of sense. And I can understand that a lot of people wouldn't like that, since it's considerably more difficult than HLM1 for very different reasons, but I'm loving every bit of it. The open areas and limited masks are nice and challenging. This is partly because the more constraints make it more puzzly, as someone mentioned before. The kind of frustration I get from messing up a floor in this game feels a lot like messing up a combo trying to A+ HLM1, and that familiar frustration makes HLM2 hit exactly the right spot for me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It honestly feels like the whole thing is a cover shooter now.

I really don't get this complaint, except for that one part in Dead Ahead I think it was. You can play HLM safe and play it like a cover shooter, but you won't get much points for this, HLM1 was the same way. If you're getting killed trying to rush them one way, find another way to rush them, you still get a bit of freedom to try different things. HLM2 definitely does emphasize killing enemies in a certain order more though. As I said, it's more puzzly.

I won't deny that HLM2 is definitely buggy though. HLM1 was super buggy at first too so I was half expecting it. :v: Notably on one level a dog started spinning frantically then rocketing through a bunch of walls before getting stuck in a closet I couldn't open, so I had to restart.

Edit: One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot more critical to know what cover enemies can shoot over/through in this game. The warehouse was a bitch until I realized they couldn't shoot through the shelving.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 11, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

To shake up the negativity a bit: One part I really liked was Tony's floor on the tower level, that big open room full of melee guys and learning that your punches can knock down fatties, just running in circles wailing on everyone. :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honest Davion posted:

counter point: chainsawing a pixel man on the ground in half is cathartic

Another fun moment I had, with the chainsaw: At one point I managed to chainsaw a guy's head off, I was then able to kick the severed head around.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This thread has gotten good. :getin: Divisive games are the best.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Lasher posted:

To sum it up I can accept you have to play this game differently to the first, but it's really not for me.

Not acceptable. You must either hate the game or hate the players.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's not the usual new retro wave this thread is used to, but the upcoming new Prodigy album gives off some pretty heavy HLM2 vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVV06jTYjeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AaKBbNGkk

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

So wait, people don't like this game? I'm on the fence about picking it up tomorrow.

If you're on the fence then the game probably isn't for you. It's a fantastic sequel but it's significantly more difficult, which turns a lot of people off. Goons hating the game but feeling the need to finish it is fascinating. If the game is so bad, maybe stop playing it?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's a shame they didn't keep the gameplay and map design closer to 1 but it's not like a colossal fuckup. It's just... weird. Not what most of us expected.

I really like the change up for HLM2. I would've got bored real fast if it was just the same as HLM1.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ddraig posted:

HM2 is baller and if you don't like it you're a big baby who should seriously get good or go home.

You will die a loving ton, that much is a given. Every single floor of every single level is a giant puzzle that you have to figure out and it's amazing.

Unfortunately it seems like most people are opting to forego the puzzle and just stand around corners firing blindly until they come to you.

The Richter level with the two guys with bats and the fat dude/shotgun dude roaming around was amazingly fun to pull off perfectly. Kick down the front door, punch the two guys with bats, pick up the bat and throw it at the dude with a shotgun, then sprint, pick up the gun, turn around and pull the trigger until it goes click.

Or you could take the baby way out and stand in the dead zone outside the front door.

This is the big elephant in the room (thread?). People mistake being bad at the game with the game being bad, and can be quite vocal about it. So you get this backlash of "git gud scrub" and it makes for an amusing thread. It's refreshing to see people that understand the game review it, but people will just parrot the PCGamer review because it was first.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Beating the game doesn't necessarily mean you are good at that game. Complaining about too much baiting, too much guns, too much glass, or too much offscreen enemies is a pretty strong indication that you are bad at the game however. Any other complaint is pretty valid, but it's funny seeing people say these same complaints and can't fathom that they might be playing the game wrong.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't say I was any good at the game. I constantly used baiting and guns as cop outs because I'm getting too old to be good at video games. I'm not delusional enough to think me being bad at the game means the game is bad though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

There is literally no other way to beat the stages

Actually there is, you're just bad at video game. It's pretty easy to see the high point combo lines through most levels, actually being able to execute them is another story though. It's also possible to see alternate, slower lines through levels that are easier to do. I was able to pull off some pretty rad combos that ensured me HLM is still HLM. Lots of goons seemed to have issues with the level where you're bum rushed at the bar, but that was one of my favourite sequences.

Also HLM2 being more constrained and puzzly compared to HLM1's frantic improvisation is a very valid complaint. However many goons feel the opposite and feel that this is a strengh of HLM2.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 13, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Show me, then. Upload something. I'd love pointers!

You want me to make football play drawings of how to do floors or something? Sorry, I don't really care about someone being bad at a video game that much.

Oxxidation posted:

Being so obtuse is just making you look like the rear end in a top hat.

:allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You have to admit it's pretty funny that when you were asked to record it or tell us what you were doing instead you answered you were also total poo poo and did the same thing the rest of us did and were just guessing the good players did it differently.

Actually I know it's possible to make those high point combos because I've pulled them off in pieces the odd time. The trouble is that I'm unable to pull off all the combos consecutively on any given floor because they're so much larger than the first game. So instead I just use the common cop out techniques once I'm done trying to do it gracefully so that I can just progress.

Red Mundus posted:

Fooled me!

Because making extensive instructionals requires the same effort as telling someone on the internet they are bad at a game. Goons better than me at this game have already posted some cool combo videos in the thread, and there's probably more on youtube if you look.

When was the last time a game like this made so many people upset? It's amazing.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 13, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The whole "didn't like it? GET GOOD!" thing is so frustrating because it really sums up how the game design went wrong. It's really exactly like those level packs made by people who are golden gods at the game. I suck at Hotline Miami. I am loving terrible. It's embarassing. I've hammered the R key like a motherfucker while my character got splattered all over the screen.

I enjoyed sucking at the first game a whole lot more than I enjoyed sucking at the second game, because the second game feels very closed-ended. The windows and the guns aren't really that fun for someone like me, because it means if I gently caress up and basically any enemy sees me, I'm dead. I dont have a way to try to react and salvage it by throwing my weapon at a charging enemy then going all American History X on him while he's down, the rear end in a top hat just sees me through the back of his head and shoots me nearly instantly. The level design just doesn't give you anything fun to do if you aren't really loving good at the game, and that's lovely. I wouldn't have a problem if it was in hard mode, but let me enjoy the game I paid fifteen bucks for.

This post is too good for this thread, you forgot to say how objectively bad the game is.

Seriosuly though, you might get your $15 out of the game once the level editor releases. Hopefully some creative levels will show up from that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't so sure of the new soundtrack overall at first. It's more encompassing and varied compared to the more focused soundtrack of HLM1. Ironically it's this sort of change in the gameplay I like going into HLM2. :v: After some time with the album apart from the game though, I'm starting to warm up to it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

I can't remember the first one doing it this much, and therefore it was better in that one aspect.

You're the one doing it. Not the game.

More combo videos please. :flashfap:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sykic posted:

(Everyone watching my stream saw this and said it missed)

(Enemy walked off the map)

(gently caress doors)

So no, I don't think so.

I think you need to git gud, scrub. :smuggo:

This thread isn't nearly as fun now that most goons seem to have actually got gud and are enjoying the game.

Except of course those that marathon the entirety of a game in less than a week after launch so they can prove how bad a game is, that's still pretty :lol:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Don't say mean things about my perfect game. :qq:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'm a huge fan of the original and was super critical going in too, glad it turned out to be a great game. I mean even if it did just end up being a level pack doing the exact same thing as HLM all over again I would've liked it fine, but I'm glad they were able to achieve so much more than that, including this thread. :getin: I guess I kind of had a reverse-spoiler effect, in that I heard everyone hated the game and thought it was bad before I had the chance to play, so when I got to playing it I was waiting for it to get bad, but it never did.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly we'd be lucky if we even get dialogue options, but I hope we do. Same with custom VHS covers.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure it's a bug. I kinda hope they don't fix it though, just patch in an updated animation for dogs chasing their tails instead.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Git gud at interpreting indie game stories, scrubs. :smugdog:

I thought the nukes were just some burning film effect at first.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hotline Miami 3 is a zombie apocalypse survival game

Goes well with HLM2 being a cover shooter.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The MP5 was in HLM1, just not dual. Pretty sure the AK-47 is new, as well as that Spectre looking SMG. The knife is kinda new since it's now a butterfly knife. I like how now when mobsters are idling with a knife, they twirl it around. :3:

Edit: Chainsaw.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The score screen is one of HLM's best features. I don't like that they made it only one screen for HLM2 though. It was more satisfying in HLM1 when the second screen would take like a minute to count up all your exposure and combo bonuses before giving you your grade.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There will definitely not be a HLM3. They expressed pretty explicitly that HLM2 would be the last. There's only so much game you can squeeze out of an idea. I'm actually glad for this, because HLM2 was a fantastic way to end the series. We'll also get the level editor soon enough which means we can keep playing HLM forever!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Biggest problem with the twins is that Ash's pathfinding sucks. Would be easily remedied by adding a sort of check of "Am I more than 5m away from Alex? Am I just running into a wall? Okay might as well just teleport to right behind her then."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'd preorder HLM3, but I'm glad they're calling it at 2. I hope that the level editor allows people to create fully featured acts/scenes though, with custom VHS covers, custom music, and dialogue.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that (far as I can tell) Ash cannot be killed by any means, so sometimes you might find yourself positioned in such a way that he can open fire on some dudes while the vulnerable swan is still safely in cover. Due to his 'generous' pathing I would say the opportunities for this are more by happenstance than by intent.

This method is handy for those pesky "offscreen enemies", just position Ash at the end of the hallway or whatever and unload down it.

Wamdoodle posted:

I like that when you inevitable get blasted as Alex, and you wait a bit before hitting restart, Ash will throw his gun away and surrender with his hands up.

Ash is the wimpiest for this reason. Biker4lyfe

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Nice passive-aggressive quotation marks.

Nice posting. :downsbravo:

Songbearer posted:

Evan is clearly the most badass. In a world full of murder and death he actively refuses to participate. He takes on a building full of Ruskies weaponless and alone and after clearing it out with his bare hands is still polite and courteous.

Unless you push him too far :black101:

Evan is a solid second most bad rear end for me. Probably most badass if it weren't for Biker's dreamy blue helmet and hair. :swoon:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I can't wait to play through goons' fanfics and movie scene recreations. We don't know anything about the level editor other than "Spring 2015", right? No twitter teases?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Roller Mobster, The Way Home, Divide and Remorse are all just incredible songs and the perfect choices for their respective levels.

The one that really, really got me was Run (Subway level). When you start that level the song sounds like the worst kind of horrible tuneless ear-rape and is a real :raise: moment, but then the tune fully kicks in and it's just, like, holy poo poo. It's a super chill song which reflects the (relatively) mundane yet hosed up situation poor Evan's found himself in, but meshes with the crazy writer-fu he winds up pulling off in the process. Roller Mobster hits hard with its action movie bombast, but Run sets the scene for an amazingly off-kilter bit of action.

I learned to appreciate that "tuneless ear-rape" opening, especially after hearing how the initial mix of the song opens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBFwf54A8k&t=2032s
(Jump to 33:52 if the embedded player doesn't already.)

Also I don't know if Remorse is underrated, but I don't see it mentioned that much in favourite tracks and it's easily in my top 3.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I really love Remorse. I don't like She Swallowed Burning Coals as much as others seem to, though. It's fine and good up until about a 1:30 then it just turns terrible.

Edit: Also I don't think I seen Bloodline mentioned, that's another good one. Scattle's contributions to both games are top notch.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 24, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

I'm annoyed that the final credits song isn't included on the soundtrack, because then I would have a song for every blessing. :sigh:

Anyone know what this song is?

vvv Thank you, been making an effort to augment the official soundtrack with whatever is missing. The full version is even more pleasantly hipstery. :allears:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 24, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tulip posted:

:agreed:

I think i'm giving up on trying to get the Jake secret, having to reclear two floors for each attempt is getting way too frustrating.

A nice way to cheese this is to take the nailgun but save it for the third floor. Just throw it in the stairwell and pick it back up when you move up a floor. There's more nails in the magazine then there are dudes on the third floor so it makes it trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Where the hell is the level editor?

• Locked thread