Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

So, not comics related, but I read somewhere that texting the Hotline Miami number actually has a chance of getting you a response. Is there any truth to this?

I actually had a conversation with them via text back when the first game was coming out, but I had no luck when they tweeted the phone number again to announce the March release date.

Also yeah, these comics are... not great. But it's interesting to find out that 50 Blessings is a kinda racist organization, which makes me feel even worse about my pretend-actions in the previous game.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In Hotline Miami 2 we actually see Jacket go on trial for the events of the first game, so he is very much not dead. The only question is if Biker is alive or not.

poptart_fairy posted:

Once you've smashed someone's face into a bloody pile of wet gore, feeling bad about the colour of their skin seems a bit redundant.

Why am I not surprised that a post like this came from poptart fairy

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

swimming anime posted:

russians are white. the white race. the game is about pixel people of the white race killing other pixel people who also belong to the white race. a terrorist organization of pixel whites killing a criminal organization of other pixel whites. NOT racist.

I wasn't poo poo-talking HM as a whole or calling it a racist game, guys, or else I'd also be complaining about the level of violence in it. I was just saying that the comics pointed out a negative aspect of 50 Blessings, an already negative organization, that I hadn't really noticed before. I'm aware you can depict this kind of stuff without condoning it.

"Xenophobic" would have been a better word anyways.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I mean, wasn't the soundtrack in plain mp3s in the install folder last game?

.oggs. It was also only made by two people in Game Maker.

The sequel will presumably be different.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

They got a third guy to help out for the sequel? :confused:

No, but it's being built in the engine used for the PS3/PS4/Vita ports of the original, which the original was then ported back to on PC. That's what the big update that added leaderboards did.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The lock on actually can be detrimental if your not using a gun, and will make you miss every drat time if the targeting is moving in any direction other than directly at you.

There are numerous occasions in the game where it's beneficial to lock on to the dude on the other side of the room, wait for the patrolling dude to reach the door, and then kick in the door and quickly right-click to instantly down both guys at once. Two free executions!

Zaphod42 posted:

Iam8bit sucks. Hotline guys should have found a better partner.

Zaphod42 posted:

Did the same. What a joke.

You have an entire eight days before the game comes out. There is plenty of time to ship it, calm yourself.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Iam8Bit has retail locations?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I love Hotline Miami's story and I'm invested enough in the characters to believe Jacket is more heroic then most people think, but it seems weird they're suddenly going from minimal story to what looks like a whole lot of it. All the interpertations of Hotline Miami being a take on seperation of gameplay and story seem weird now.

HM2 seems like it's generally about the misconceptions people had about the first game, so it makes sense.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jizz Festival posted:

I've read the report and seen the video of the scene provided by Devolver and they're not very different. The fact they included that disclaimer and option to turn it off kinda deflates any argument that the report wasn't right about what was being depicted.

...No, the Australian classification board described "thrusting motions" that straight up are not in the game even if you choose not to censor the scene for yourself. Are you crazy?

Dennaton did the right thing here, leaving the scene in but giving people who would be bothered by it the option to skip it. That's commendable on its own without having to loving lie about what's in it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The scene is in as a demonization of Jacket's actions within the context of the (fictional) movie "Midnight Animal." In reality (well, Hotline Miami's reality), Jacket saved the girl and took her home - but the movie is playing up his disgusting aspects in order to sell tickets. Taking it out would remove that message.

At the same time, sexual violence is on an entirely different level than normal violence, and some people are very bothered by it, particularly people who are already victims of it. Adding in the option to skip the scene preserves the artistic intent while also making the experience better for those who are affected. Dennaton did the right thing.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Dough posted:

And giving HM2 a Taxi Driver ending would be pretty cool.

The first game arguably already did.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Maybe I'm just a sick gently caress but looking back, I actually enjoyed figuring out and finishing the boss fights in HLM1.

Nah, I'm actually the same. I really enjoyed the final boss and actually thought it was quite easy, seemingly unlike most people.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

...! posted:

OK, I tried the first game awhile back and just don't get the game... I think I'm going slow and being sneaky

I found your problem.

Hotline Miami is not a stealth game, it is a game about being a serial killer.

It's much more similar to a top-down, melee-only Rainbow Six. As in the good ones.

e: a bit of advice that instantly improved my ranks - gun wielding enemies have a faster response rate the longer you come at them from, and vice versa.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That said, having played a few hours of Hotline Miami the past week I find myself constantly yelling at the game because even if I'm facing a bat and standing practically on it, oftentimes I'll right-click and it won't pick it up. Other times, anticipating that it won't pick it up I'll double right-click and throw the loving thing across the room. It's one of my few complaints about how loving inconsistent the game tends to be.

The new engine for HM1 actually has way more troubles with this than the old one. It's one of the things I'm honestly kind of worried about with HM2.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I hit the Emptyquote button on accident! Everybody laugh at me!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I liked the puzzles in Braid a lot.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

No. The devs reuse face assets. This caused a lot of confusion in HM1, too, when folks noticed that Richter and Beard shared the same template.

It's kinda funny how every woman in HM2 looks like the same person wearing a different wig.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Feminition posted:

I remember in the first game when the janitors/devs were making a big point about how they didn't pressure people at all to go on those missions to slaughter people -- that they just left the voicemail, sent the masks and let them do their own thing. Was that a lie/meta bullshit? It seems like 50 Blessings was actively threatening people with physical harm.

Retconned so that HM2 could be a lorefest.

Similar to how Jacket vomited after the first level of HM1 but now in HM2 he's actually a trained war veteran.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

What a nihilistic ending. Not very fun or interesting but maybe thats the point.

Enjoyed the ride to get there, though.

It's a happy ending. The entire series is about death, it's the only way it could have ended. Richard's final comment of "Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds" undermines every murder in the series so far. Everyone's dead, but death isn't a bad thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

Everything being nuked and none of the characters arcs making any difference sends this message that death is inevitable and nothing you do will ever matter. Although Richard says "thats okay" its a cold comfort.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Fans' destructive tendencies wrap back around them, The Son's high-flying lifestyle eventually reaches its violent nadir, The Writer either gets back with his family or finally abandons them for his book, The Actor is killed on set, Richter gets to escape to Hawaii and give his mom a better life.

The problem with HM2's plot is that it explains away all of the mystery that made the first game fun, with the help of some seriously stupid retcons - not that its canon doesn't make sense, or whatever.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Geight posted:

I think too many video games leave things ambiguous because they are written by bad writers, so I enjoy how HLM2 neatly ties everything up.

Ambiguity is not the hallmark of a bad writer.

Substituting lore for actual content usually is, though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

:allears:

You're my goddamn hero.

Rofl you're pretty fond of writing Payday fan fiction yourself there buddy

Pansacola posted:

Alpha version of the editor has been leaked or something.

Is there any word on functionality? Can you pick what characters you start, any surprises or anything?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

You get a trophy for never killing anyone except that first guy. Also it's an interesting way to play. Also I don't think his character is meant to be a killer.

Does the achievement not trigger if you play the levels via the Continue option? Yes, I did the Abyss.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I wouldn't think this would make any difference, seeing as how the only way you can get to that particular level is via Continue.

I've just done it and it hasn't unlocked for some reason. Weird.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I don't get why this phrase has gotten so latched on to but I like the results anyways.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jehde posted:

This method is handy for those pesky "offscreen enemies", just position Ash at the end of the hallway or whatever and unload down it.

Nice passive-aggressive quotation marks.

King Vidiot posted:

For some reason Jake just reminded me of the movie Super, so I really hope that we can somehow import our our character sprites so I can put the Crimson Bolt into the game.

I would love this, but I feel like it'd be too much to ask for. I'd like to make Soldier levels where you can pick more than assault rifle/shotgun/sniper/flamethrower.

e: I also feel like if you make a level for The Fans, you're not going to be able to restrict the choice between the four like Death Wish does. Which is a shame, because that makes it one of the best levels in the game.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I fail to see anything they're doing wrong here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's seriously ridiculous how much of the plot is obscured by Dennaton reusing assets.

I personally don't think the Fans are in the Hawaii bar, by the way.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

The devs even said that the Fans represent people who want the sequel to be the same as the first game.

I see this quoted a lot but I've never seen a source, where did they say this?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Maybe thats the wrong way to put it. I guess I wanted to see more of him? They used too deft a hand in regards to him? I don't know, I'm having trouble articulating what I wanted and disliked. No matter what, the way he is used in hotline 2 isn't satisfying to me.

HM2 acts like Jacket was some kind of action hero instead of a depraved psycho.

Which is ironic, because that means the game itself takes the same position as the fans.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Not really though, the game seems to be basing Jacket's character off of any number of characters in 70's era exploitation movies who went to Vietnam and then came home as deranged killers. The war hosed him up, so he is in fact a depraved psycho. He's just a depraved psycho with a military backstory instead of a guy doing it solely for kicks.

The issue isn't framing him as a soldier, it's framing him as someone out for revenge - because presumably he joined 50 Blessings as revenge for Beard's death.

Framing him as a soldier does ruin something else though, as it makes him seem like a trained killer as opposed to the desperate killer resorting to desperate tactics in HM1, which kinda sours the whole hosed-up vibe of the first game. HM2 spends a chunk of its runtime explaining everything about HM1, and that makes it all boring. Which is especially weird considering how the ending of HM1 was basically "You want answers? You're not gonna get 'em. Deal with it."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think Jacket was out for revenge, he pretty clearly had no idea why he was killing people (and also he may not have been fully aware of his friend's death).

I'm pretty sure he was aware of it, or else he wouldn't have hallucinated Beard in every place (plus his hallucination specifically mentioning San Francisco) and then thrown away the photo at the end of HM1. Even if he didn't know why he was killing people, he was still aware of Beard's death when he joined 50 Blessings.

quote:

The super-soldier part makes sense to me, it explains why he could just walk into a building and kill dozens of people like it was nothing

Yeah, and that's the problem. HM1 was way cooler when it was about a random disturbed dude getting weird phone calls and then going out and barely managing to scrape by the odds of killing a building full of people (the odds being illustrated by how many times you die before you finally get the level down.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I assumed he was hallucinating Beard because he couldn't come to terms with the death of the man he looked up to so much.

That's what I'm saying, though. You said that Jacket probably wasn't aware of Beard's death, and I said he probably WAS aware, because he hallucinates him in stores and his hallucination specifically mentions San Francisco.

Butt Ghost posted:

The PTSD bit is what really invalidated HM1 Jacket. For me anyway. I always perceived his characters as just some guy who's a bit unhinged and really good at killing,. Both of those are still true, but in a way that's too real. He's now unhinged because he suffers from a serious mental disorder and is really good at killing because he's a war veteran. It's not that HM2 Jacket is inherently a bad character. Without HM1, I'd think he's fine. But I preferred his character when he was more akin to a Slasher villain or an ambiguous Driver type of guy. Having his actions linked to something more sympathetic just sort of makes HM1 a bit uncomfortable.

I agree with this post!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

e: pretty sure HM is meant to be uncomfortable

HM is significantly more uncomfortable (and awesome) when Jacket has no justification for his actions instead of "he's a trained war veteran with PTSD."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dennis Wedin did an AMA. http://www.reddit.com/r/HotlineMiami/comments/331up5/i_am_dennis_wedin_of_dennaton_games_ama/

Pertinent information:

- We already knew that the level editor would let you play as Biker and Jacket, but now we know that Jacket will be able to wear any mask from HM1 as well.
- Custom intro and outro cutscenes will be possible. Custom characters and sprites will not, but they may add it in the future... maybe... probably not.
- The story of HM2 was mostly made up after the fact, though apparently they knew about the photo/Beard's history beforehand while making HM1.
- Dennaton is taking a break from game development, but they already have their next project lined up. It's a new IP and isn't top-down.
- Wedin's favorite level from either game is Execution, his favorite song Sexualizer.
- HM1 music in the level editor probably isn't happening. They've had some problems with the record labels of artists in the first game, meaning they probably won't be able to reuse it in any context.
- Pig butcher was never meant to be in HM1, despite all signs to the contrary.
- Dennaton doesn't really care about Bloodbath Kavkaz, though they did ask them to remove the "Hotline" from their name.
- Future of the level editor on the PS3 version is uncertain.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

I made a really short post, was it really tl;dr? People aren't suggesting that Dennaton should include unlicensed copyrighted music with their map editor demo maps. That would be a copyright violation. They are suggesting they should include an MP3 player triggered by game events, which would not be a copyright violation. This is why Rockstar hasn't been sued for including a custom radio station option in GTA 5, because doing that is totally OK. I have no doubt that people would distribute map packs with unlicensed songs, which is a violation of copyright, but it's a violation by the people distributing those map packs, not by Dennaton themselves. It is not "violative of copyright" to distribute MP3 player software, even if it is integrated into a video game.

Allowing a custom music player inside your game is ludicrously difficult and basically means writing your own music player.

GTAV had some issues on release where it would crash if you tried to use Self Radio without having Windows Media Player installed, because that's literally what it uses.

Your demands are entirely unrealistic for a developer made of two people.

e: There's also the fact that the main reason you would make a level is to share it with others, and it doesn't make much sense to have a level play a song on your machine but then play a different one on everyone else's, not to mention that would ALSO be a nightmare to code. Seriously dude, if you are so dead-set on this, just alt-tab to Winamp or something. It's not like Hotline Miami does anything interesting with its licensed music (aside from it generally being good choices), it just plays it on a loop.

Which totally kills the buildup on songs like Le Perv. I never thought I'd be sick of Roller Mobster. Then hard mode Death Wish happened.

Skyscraper posted:

Make one track if people have it, but a back-up option from HLM2's library if they don't.

Sorry I missed this quote where you demonstrated you have no idea how ID3 tags let alone software development in general works, you are talking out of your rear end here, just stop dude.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 19, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I don't mind it ending on a down note, that was pretty much the only way it COULD end. But I felt that everything leading up to the ending was a complete mess and the ending provided much more closure than the game had earned.

HM2 has a happy ending if anything. In a series like this there's no reason to end it with anything other than literally everyone dying.

Richard's last words undermine every single murder in the series.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Geight posted:

I also kinda want the level editor to come out so Dennaton can move on to a new, not-Hotline Miami project. I think that would be nice.

Wedin (I think? I get the two of them mixed up a lot) did an AMA on Reddit recently where he said that Dennaton have already started work on their third game.

Anatharon posted:

Eh I dunno, Richter and Evan were relatively decent people.

That's not really what I mean with regards to the "no other way to end it" though. Hotline Miami is intrinsically "about" the cycle of violence. Having it get too big to continue spinning is the logical endpoint.

Honestly going into HM2 I was fully expecting every story to end with the character dying, so the nuke was just like "oh, yeah, okay."

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 21, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Moartoast posted:

Yes literally everyone who even touched that disgusting film with their grubby goon hands are obviously screaming manchildren that just don't get how to make a goofy half-hour nostalgia bait film for fun how loving dare they they are scum of the earth those slobbering children don't know how to do my nostalgia bait right and should die

Your goon hyperbole was worse than his goon hyperbole.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Both kung fury and blood dragon are several millions leagues better than ready player one

This is true.

Kung Fury and Blood Dragon both suck rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Blood Dragon spends the vast majority of its runtime talking about how much it hates the 80s as opposed to celebrating it.

The rest is internet memes.

• Locked thread