Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really like that Tape track. It sounds like Hotline, but with a different sort of tone, still a bit psychedelic but much more serene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FuzzyWuzzy posted:

Is there a version of the first Hotline Miami on the PC that isn't a glitchy mess?

I know the steam version, and I assume all PC versions, have gotten a variety of patches over the months. When it first came out my steam copy was buggy as gently caress, achievements not working, sound sometimes not working, crashing fairly frequently. But now it plays pretty much perfectly so that's my experience at least.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

StevenM posted:

He raises an excellent point about the limited agency of women in games, and at least he acknowledges the hypocrisy in his desensitization, enjoyment even, of murdering masses of faceless goons and then feeling revulsion at one implied assault. It's a shame that developers are looking to sexual assault as the new quick-and-cheap conveyance of how immortal people can be.

However his erasure of male rape survivors is problematic and indicative of a society that has no bias in gender or lifestyle when it comes to rationalizing away the accountability of criminals.

*She

Quite frankly, the scene sounds appropriate given the context of the story.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trainmonk posted:

Wow yeah gonna enjoy reading every straight white male gamer opinion about how the sexual assault thing "totally works". It definitely makes you uncomfortable and that's what he was clearly going for, but is it okay...?

The answer, of course, is no.

Why not?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

moths posted:

I'm mad that this is in the game. I completely loved HM1 but there's no way I can get behind supporting sexual violence, even if it's "simulated".

People will whine about slacktivism and boycotts and social justice whatevers, buy I'm just talking myself here. This is a game I was looking forward to that I'm now very uncomfortable with. It's a poo poo in the pool I wanted to swim in.

Haha how is it "supporting sexual violence"?

Trainmonk posted:

Man I love this argument, the one where you excuse it because of all the murder your character does. Like there are any murder victims to around to be triggered. Bonus points for using it in a sentence where you criticize people for not thinking hard enough.

Well the loved ones of the murdered could perhaps be "triggered".

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Thank god the white male game devs are here to tell us how awful rape is! If only women would stop being so hysterical so we could enjoy some real commentary in the form of this blood shootymans game.

What are you even saying?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trainmonk posted:

Because the shock value is only good for triggering actual rape victims. The commentary about how rape is dumb or whatever is completely worthless afterwards.

I don't agree with that. I think most people, even those that aren't rape victims, can be shocked by its depiction.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trainmonk posted:

Pointlessly shocked. That's why I said it's "only good for" triggering.

I think the Babe Magnet explained a perfectly valid point to it. I assume you don't think that's pointy enough though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trainmonk posted:

He made a terrible point, it's the opposite of a perfectly valid point. The developer making fun of other developers using rape for shock value by using rape for shock value did nothing except the exact same thing, with some worthless commentary afterward.

See you say the commentary is worthless, but it re-frames the whole situation. But I see now that there is literally no way you'd ever be ok with this so whatever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trainmonk posted:

You're missing the point entirely, over and over. The commentary is worthless because it doesn't even work. Look at all these people, including you, who don't even agree with what it's saying. It's saying it shouldn't be used for shock value in video games and you cheer on an example of it that happened right before it, like idiots.

Well that is what a parody is ain't it? The over the top imitation of the actual act is what gets the point across.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Now you can have your rape fantasies and eat it too, all you have to do is post indignantly about it on a message board for a little while in order to convince yourself you're above such a thing.

:ironicat:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You guys ain't gonna change Trainmonk's mind. They don't want to see rape in any media ever, in any context, for any reason. Period. They've made this pretty clear...

prahanormal posted:

"This [male] character is the badmans because he rapes/raped a woman" is such a lovely, overused trope in general. I get that they're trying to :airquote: parody :airquote: it in this, but that whole plot device should just die quietly and never be brought up again.

I suppose it's important to ask if the game explains the film setting before this scene? It wouldn't excuse it entirely, but it would at least introduce the horrible director's intentions beforehand.

The article says the the film setup is revealed after the scene.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

prahanormal posted:

I know. I'm kind of hoping that there will be some sort of contextual stuff before this scene in the final game. It's totally possible that things play out differently in the full game.

Ah, I see. I guess I just figured, given the setup, that the lack of context leading up to the reveal is kinda the whole point. Also keep in mind that this is part of game's tutorial. In theory not a lot happens before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's from like 4 months ago, but ya they are.

• Locked thread