Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got a certain amount of satisfaction out of big rooms once i knew the enemy placement and i could blow away previously annoying enemies from across the room with a shotgun

re: character variety, id wish theyd given something to make the detective different. other than that, i dont miss losing the masks that much since there was no reason to use around 3/4 of them, ever.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hate it when they kill me, die, and go out with some dumb looking :downs: face staring up at me

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I thought about The Detective's story a bit and it makes some more sense to me now.

He is the killer, and he's just doing it for the attention. He comments about all the 'crazy people'. He imagines film crews, and himself as a movie star. He tells Evan to write about the Miami Mutilator as it's a 'much more sophisticated case' and 'everyone will forget about those vigilantes'. He also has a personal grudge against Tony because he's an attention seeking killer... Just like he himself is. Lastly, even Richard questions why he does what he does, and it really isn't for any reason. Also he complains about the press a lot. :v:

Also about the game's ending.

The more I think about it the whole thing really is just the devs mocking the players huh. The Fans are the first to die after they get a bunch of plot threads that start that go absolutely nowhere and more characterization then the others but it doesn't matter. The "Hotline Miami 3" screen and newgame+ intro are "What, did you really expect a satisfying ending?". Richard mentions you won't like the twist at the end, and every character's arc ends with, well, that.

i think youre stretching with the interpretation that the fans being a dig at the players. the only connection I see is that they get the moniker "fans". i mean you can read it there but I don't know if its intended to be that rather than just being another part of the whole "live by sword die by sword" message the game carries along.

the big meta characters, imo, was the pig mask actor, and his director. pig played the role because he was carrying violent fantasies about killing people, the director meanwhile was building off the fame of a killer by making an even more gratuitously violent movie of the events, and considering the whole game is framed as being an old vhs tape of said movie being played, thats pretty much the creators accusing themselves of making a hosed up snuff game out of a sick violent impulse, enabled by the surprise success of basically a killing spree simulator, while trying to act high minded about it. and perhaps a dig at the player for going along with it? meta stuff is dumb who cares.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

New game.

I guess, I just feel like promoting it as having more plot then cutting it off so much is a jab at people who were interested in the story more then the gameplay. Though I didn't mean JUST the fans portion was like that.

As much as I personally dislike the ending I really respect how thematically appropriate it is.

story stuff

I think the devs cared a lot about the story. People complain about its ideosyncrities, but even as weak as it got at points I liked what they were at least trying to do. To be a hyperbolic prat, I'm going to claim that, right now in games, you see pretty much two kinds of stories whenever they're meant to be a selling point to a game, the AAA style where you have a completely rote plot with a thematic dressing thrown on it to act like its some grand allegory or message, and the indie style where you have a sort of mishmash of symbolism that resembles something evocative, airy metaphorical writing, and a complete lack of any real message so people can just make up whatever they think sounds cool when talking about it. I didn't really care for HL1's story since it was the latter style to a T, but HL2 they decided to nut up enough to actually try to present enough of a story that they had to actually rely on, well, actual writing ability. I think they did okay.

There's only a few things I think about the theme of the game, aside from the obvious things others have pointed out. There's a lot of stuff about taking on roles and honesty. The actor only acts when he's not in the role of a killer, and honesty about that is treated as abhorrent. The fans want to have the role of the masked killer but don't know what the role even is about, and really just want their moment of fame. Henchman wants out so he can be a family man or whatnot, but its not what he _really_ wants, and when it falls apart, he self destructs. The detective creates his own serial killer so he can act like a cowboy cop who doesn't follow the rules. Son follows obliviously in his dads footsteps. etc. Richard, to me, comes off not just as a portent of death, but sort of an unmasking of the motivations of the characters.

I think the big "theme moment" for the game comes from the Lt.'s drunken rant about everyone involved being mindless animals, killing without even understanding the reasons behind it. He puts on a mask and goes on a crazy, but totally honest, rant, and then removes the mask and starts falling back into his old role and makes up poo poo to back away from what he just said. The only guy who really seems to have an understanding of what they're doing and where they're going, to the point that they get a choice in their ending, is the Writer, and he's the only guy who doesn't have to kill people. The actor doesn't technically kill anyone either, maybe, but that almost falls in some reverse situation; he internalized the role of "mindless killer" and yet he's only able to carry out his killings as an act.

and then everyone left alive all die for reasons completely outside their understanding, killed because someone killed the heads of state for some unknowable reason and Russia decided to kill people without really knowing what is going on.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Holy poo poo. You haven't really played through the soldier levels until you get the Flamethrower. :getin:

if you tear the face off a panther and wear it, is it still a mask?

well not for a panther or other mindless killer, i guess

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Do you like hurting other people?

i for one am glad that hl2 so far hasnt had any line like this for people to quote endlessly at each other to signal yet another masturbatory session on the Nature of Violent Video Gaming

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
brutal takedowns on rape going on in here

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on what? We have one line from the interview, which is totally something a character actor would say in that sort of setting, and the actor saying he's had disturbing dreams. That's all we have. I have no clue where people are getting this intentional director action stuff from.

its pretty obvious that that sequence is supposed to not be "in character" for the actor since A. the person whose interviewing him doesn't react well to it, and B. as you noticed, your interpretation leads to nothing making sense at all

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got like a 15x combo on that part so i dont really know what you were doing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that or it was just a standin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in 2016 the skunkrocker thread continues to stagger on, despite the best efforts of the hotline miami devs to kill it off

• Locked thread