Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I think a lot of you are missing the point. I believe its already established that yes, the player character does things to make you feel uncomfortable and no, you don't like hurting people. You might like the rush and the fun and the powertrip at times but the extreme violence is meant to be offputting. Making your character a rapist is certainly one way of making them offputting.

But I think the issue here isn't that rape is being depicted. Its the fact that of the few women we've seen in the series, they're just helpless damsels and pawns and stereotypes. The first is kidnapped by Jacket and seems weirdly compliant to being abducted by a serial killer. She is later killed just to give Jacket a revenge plotline. The second woman is just your cheesy femme-fatale for the real russian mob boss. Now the latest woman we've seen in the series and her role is to be the rape victim to pig butcher. Ellison's statement is

Cara Ellison posted:

The woman in this game was exoticised by her tokenism. No male character in this scenario was singled out for rape.
It wasn't "booo, rape."

Maybe if women too got to be serial killer or nameless goons or evil mastermind, it could slide. Right now the depiction of women in the series is objectively, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm not sure about that either: everyone in the series thus far is basically a flat character thanks to how minimalist (or deliberately obfuscating, in the case of the janitors) the treatment of their personalities are. Jacket is an insane serial killer, Biker is an unrepentant lover of violence but is sane enough to know something's up...that's it really. If it's a question of representation in agency, then yeah, sure; but as it is you could gender-swap everyone and it would still play out the same.
Basically, yeah. Everyone is flat but all the cool flat roles go to men. I know there isn't a lot of women serial killers or organized criminals, but Hotline Miami basically has none, save that femme-fatale. I remember reading somewhere on here the first game was inspired by the documentary Cocaine Cowboys yet they didn't have someone like Griselda Blanco, who really exemplified a lot of the mastermind and tendencies for extreme violence.

Cocaine Cowboys is instant on netflix by the way, go watch it!

• Locked thread