Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think it works. It's an extreme in a game of extremes, and the brutal stab in the gut when you realize that the whole sequence is a horrible misrepresentation of possibly the only good act your former protagonist did in the last game is even more painful when it's revealed that people are fetishizing his rampages.

I suppose if they wanted to make you feel real uncomfortable with that scene and revelation about what Hotline Miami's setting meant going forward, they drat well accomplished it. Stories don't have to be pleasant for me to recognize how well they're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Miltank posted:

The commentary isn't rape is dumb. The commentary is "what the gently caress are you doing playing this game?"

I think it is important to note that there is no flashing :siren:press A to rape:siren: button. I seem to remember that there were instances in the original hotline where the avatar responds to button presses in unexpected ways. "I didn't want to rape her! That is evil! I only wanted to climb on top of her and BASH HER loving SKULL INTO THE TILE!"

Well, you could say rescuing the girl instead of mercy-killing her like she asks you to and would probably expect being a serial killer is one of these.

There's also some other stuff where the screen goes static after "beating" the van driver and the next thing you know is you've murdered him brutally, though I guess that's more of Jacket losing his sanity even more.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Also I wasn't excusing the rape because you murder people, but I'll give you the point that adding that last bit was a miss-step. I don't feel like it diminished my main point, however, that trashing the act of adding shock-rape to a narrative does mean you are advocating the use of shock-rape in your narrative.

Yeah, but is it arguable that the game won't necessarily fall into the trap of "war movies showing the horror of war end up glorifying war"? It's not law, precedent isn't king.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

You said it yourself, precedent isn't king. My belief that it's not going to fall into the trap is just as valid as your belief that it is.

I don't actually think it's going to fall into the trap either; but I guess I mis-read your initial post so my bad. Just wanted to clear things up since the thread is moving in a flurry of posts, sorry.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Parachute posted:

In HM1, if you kill the employees after defeating Biker, does the game ever call you out on that?

Nah, it doesn't.

Also, I think you meant before defeating Jacket as Biker.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I'm not sure about that either: everyone in the series thus far is basically a flat character thanks to how minimalist (or deliberately obfuscating, in the case of the janitors) the treatment of their personalities are. Jacket is an insane serial killer, Biker is an unrepentant lover of violence but is sane enough to know something's up...that's it really. If it's a question of representation in agency, then yeah, sure; but as it is you could gender-swap everyone and it would still play out the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Has anybody looked at that Hotline Miami film they want funding for on indiegogo (I think)?

Kind of digging the idea, although I'm not sure I'd want Jacket to not be a silent protagonist.
If I were doing it, I'd have him be silent, and his actor to do the voices for the masks, but that's just my opinion.

The neat thing about the masks is that it doesn't have to be the actual actor voicing them, though. Could be one hell of a schizophrenic film.

Sean Connery voices the Dragon mask

• Locked thread