Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Miltank posted:

I really can't think of a game that would be better suited thematically and visually for using sexual violence than Hotline Miami.
Which is not to say it's impossible for them to gently caress it up. I thought everything in the original Hotline Miami was pitch-perfect, tonally, but I know a lot of people thought the hospital level didn't work at all. Now, obviously a lot of people didn't like that level for gameplay reasons in addition to (or in place of) tonal reasons, but I think it's a mistake to separate those two entirely with Hotline Miami (as it is with most games) and the point I want to make is just that the developers aren't flawless. It's possible for them to mess things up, and messing up a rape scene in your video game comes with some pretty big downsides. Like, yes, if there's a game that can make sexual violence work, it's this one much more than loving Tomb Raider or something, but that's not to say this game will make sexual violence work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Miltank posted:

Truth.

Question: Does it work considering what we have seen so far?
Answer: I don't know, I actually haven't been reading previews. Games I think I'll play are games I ignore previews for because I like going in blind. If Cara Ellison says it doesn't work, though, I'd be worried.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i don't know, it seems pretty germane that nobody's actually played the game, so any statement about this game's politics/problematic-icity/whatever, whether positive or negative, might be misinformed?

see also: the castle doctrine
When one of the things touching off this conversation is the report of someone who has played the game I am not sure it is entirely accurate to say that nobody's actually played the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i think an analysis of the entire game is necessary to really see if something like this "works"- the rape scene in Straw Dogs is horrific out of context, and very arguably horrific in context, but criticisms of it that don't take the full context of the film into account can't be considered informed
I agree, I think, but I just wanted to point out that the original report of "this doesn't really work" came from someone who had played the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exg_OxsaHyY

• Locked thread