Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dolash posted:

Yeah, there's no doubt the Fans will either do something stupid in accordance with their idealized view of Jacket (Crabtree's guess sounds good) or tear each other apart when something hits on their different motivations.

I'm curious if Jacket will return as a playable character, or if the player characters will cross paths or even kill each other. In one preview we already saw that the detective is feeding information to the journalist, so the stories probably do interconnect and all seem to revolve around Jacket.

Jacket and Biker kiss at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

John Dough posted:

Only God Forgives also fits the bill well both thematically and stylistically.

Seconding this and Hobo With A Shotgun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Drive, Hobo With a Shotgun, Machete, most Quentin Tarantino movies, Beyond the Black Rainbow if it's about the soundtrack and psychadelic quality I dunno man

It really depends on what part of Hotline Miami you liked, and it's not like "retro action movies with lots of gore" or "psychedelic movies with retro soundtracks" are impossible to find in the world

Only God Forgives should be watched directly after Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ziAWl9AEA
Be warned though: it's slow, strange and there's a good chance you'll only like the (excellent) soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Sorta. I think it was a really great film but it was very poorly reviewed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really want to replay the first game, but my hesitation is almost entirely from having to beat the molotov car fight again. For whatever reason that's the one section where the game's random rolls of the dice (in terms of enemy placement and other things) rubs me entirely the wrong way.

There's a spot you can stand in where the molotovs will kill all the enemies as they come out of the van.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just finished the game and daaaaamn. Really enjoyed it, even with the hiccups in the level design. Gonna have to go back and find those secrets. Can't wait to see what comes out of the level editor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

aeglus posted:

My bigger beef is when you memorize it, the game still likes to punish you for that by randomizing AI pathing and weapons when you restart every time.

Weapons are chosen when you load the level and aren't changed by restarts.

Hotline Miami 1 also had random AI pathing

I do agree that it feels more like a memorization game than the first one did.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

The thing about those guys, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they're not "special enemies". They're regular prisoners that start unarmed, and when the prisoner enemies are unarmed that's their default unarmed behavior. You can see their routine change if you throw an item at them and then let them pick it up, they'll become just another armed enemy that you can kill normally. There's not really a whole lot of incentive to do that, it's just a quirk of that particular enemy.

Also I don't ever remember a time when more than one of those guys charged me at once, so I don't know what you were doing to get 4 of them on you at a time.

IIRC the last 2 rooms of the level have multiple but I was never in a situation where more than 2 were chasing me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Erata posted:

The Hard Mode version wants you to do the same thing, more or less, but with more windows and weapon swapping with the two gunmen in the third room. :suicide: I got a B+ after an hour of attempts. It really does feel, more and more, like Correy's roll is something they designed a couple cool-looking routes around.

Windows are the bane of my existence

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I get that. Its just with the jumping around non-chronologically.... wasn't there some kinda bomb going off at the end of 'casualties'? Was that just the factory blowing up? (Barnes and whatshisname don't make it out...) I assumed that was the nuke launching. So instead we have this Hawaiian Missile Crisis and nothing happens.... and then later there's just a Nuke that's almost unrelated? That's just kinda weird and badly explained?

Makes me think that A level where you play the presidential murder and see the nuke launch or even cause the nuke launch would make sense.

I did at least figure out that The Colonel is supposed to be 50 Blessings' leader.
Although The whole thing with him going crazy and putting on the Brandon style mask, only to go "uh... not feeling so well guys, forget about all that" was really loving weird. I expected him to start shooting the place up or chase off naked into the forest or something.

Casualties ends with the power plant self-destructing, a nuke didn't launch. Later on in the war (probably at the end) San Francisco gets nuked by the Russians (Leading to a surrender by the Americans?) and then a few years later the Presidents are assassinated by 50 Blessings and the Colonel which leads to Miami (And probably everywhere else) getting blown off the map.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

The factory isn't the part I have issue with. Its more that The plot of HM1 and HM2 apparently rely on not one but two nukes going off. That's just kinda weird and crazy, it feels awfully deus ex machina. Even shows like 24 don't try to have two nukes go off in populated areas.

The only reason I even brought up the Military base was because like I was saying, if you had caused the nuke launch yourself, then that ties it to the plot and its not longer a deus ex machina but some kinda commentary on war and chaos and death. Instead its just nihilistic as gently caress, we're all gonna get nuked in WW3 so who cares, nothing matters.

I mean, I guess I just need to dig deeper, but what is going on here? How does the first nuke not cause some huge WW3 event or plunge the country into war and acting all defensive? How are people just hanging around Miami not acting like its wartime? I guess the American-Russo coalition was in response to the nuke in San Fran? But then where did the nuke in Miami come from anyways? Russia nukes their ally because gently caress em? Cold war reaches a boiling point and mutually-assured-destruction begins? Where is it going and what does it mean? Nothing.

Cold War went hot when the presidents were assassinated in a coup by 50 Blessings and Colonel Pantherhat. I figured that the coup part of the news report meant that 50 Blessings managed to start lobbing nukes at Russia so the Russian responded with MAD. Don't forget that Richter also got nuked in Hawaii.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hotline Miami is a prequel to the upcoming Hotline New Vegas

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Problem is we don't see it, so it's only implied. But considering my previous grievance, I highly doubt that happens.

Both Miami (Everyone) and Hawaii (Richter and his mom) get nuked, which implies that a lot more than one state get blown up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geight posted:

I feel like a different interpretation from the norm is one thing, but just completely not paying attention is another. :eng99:

Both goons and people who play video games are infamous for their ability to misunderstand anything

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Storytelling so good that it's easy and a common to miss a nuclear bomb. Probably because the effect they used for it gets lost in all the other weird dying / psychotic break / brain damage / etc transitions HLM uses in its narration.

I never found a newspaper, either. I didn't know we were supposed to be pixelbitching for them.

Yeah, it's not like there was a montage of nuclear blasts killing the various characters or anything

You're extremely dense

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

That's at the end of the game though?

E:

Beard's happens way before that, he might be having a stroke or not-Nam flashback for all you know unless you read the wiki.

Dude, the time-date stamp says San Francisco

I didn't get it until I replayed the mission after beating the game but it's not some big mystery.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

The newspaper (?) you have to click is the Easter egg. This is some a meta joke where you're feigning being dense to imply I am, isn't it?

The cutscene shows San Fransiscio being nuked, an event that was alluded to in HM1. What more do you want?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ledgy posted:

Dallas best mask :allears:

Jake is exactly the kind of guy to have sweet nunchuku skills

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Ok Beard was Soldier, right? And this happens right after you flee the exploding nuclear plant in Hawaii? I think I might have read that scene as a moment-before-dying fantasy.

Beard was also Soldier. The soldier that he pulled out of the power plant was probably Jacket and after the mission he opened a convenience store in San Francisco before being nuked.

Ledgy posted:

I don't remember what's the limit for the filesize of an avatar, but I have this gif that's almost perfectly looped of Dallas shenanigans:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Erata posted:

'Learning disability' was the name given to Dallas' own nunchaku kata.

I appreciate this post.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I thought Mark had been around as a mask long before any details were revealed about Hotline Miami 2, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, Mark has been in Payday for quite some time. Hell, even before the Mark there was a pig mask with this description

quote:

You have a new message! *BEEP*

Salutations, this is 'Almir' at OVERKILL. The Mask that you ordered should be delivered by now...

A list of instructions is included...

Make sure that you read them carefully!

Do you like hurting other people? Then this mask is for you.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 19, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is it just me or is the music for Casualties not in the soundtrack?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hollenhammer posted:

you mean this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-XCM8sies

Where jacket doesnt even seem to have hair.

The pig mask is just a mask though.... not a main character???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaNn0ddRPM

https://tcrf.net/Hotline_Miami

Pig Butcher was originally the main character and a lot of sprites are leftover in the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Way Home, Run and Roller Mobster are my top 3 tracks by far.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I only mentioned it because someone said the Hawaii missions were bad. So far they are okay. Sorry I don't know the masks by name.

I like the Hawaii missions but the last one opens with a very wide open space

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MONKET posted:

Fat men in glass houses edition.

Please don't post about somethingawful.com

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Indrid_Cold posted:

Another this is that there are too many goddamn floors per level. Like take death wish, each individual floor is difficult and takes quite a few tries to complete, especially if you are playing 'properly' and going balls out to get a good score. This would not be too bad if you were scored after each floor, because then there is some sense of reward. But instead you have to play through the whole thing in one sitting. This is especially annoying since, as many people have pointed out, this is a game where every once in a while you have to put it down and do something else before coming back to it.

TLDR-Hotline Miami should not be a game where a lose an hour and a half A/A+ progress because I needed a break because one of the swans kept getting caught on a loving wall.

How loving bad do you have to be to take an hour and a half to finish one level

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Indrid_Cold posted:

Well poo poo. I just really really do not want to get to the end and get a B and have to do the whole drat thing again, you know. Which links back to my original point of there being to many drat floors. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a Good Game, but by christ does it gently caress up some basic things.

It's a long level because it's the big climax of the Fans story

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I'm having a very hard time they would leave a series with two successful games and a proven formula, but okay. I look forward to their next twitch shooter that totally isn't Hotline Miami.

Cactus is a guy that doesn't really do the same thing twice, if you've played any of his other games

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geight posted:

Nah, just the level editor thanks.

Thanks to the level editor we will have infinite miamis

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The cutscene triggered without me even opening the door so I didn't bother even trying to get to her.

Is the dialogue any different with the other Fans?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

Is there actually a strategy to the really fast strangly inmates in the prison level? It pretty much seems like a total crapshoot as to whether or not I can hit them once they see me, and it's impossible not to be seen by some of them. Sometimes they'll be the last guy on the map and I'll have to restart because it doesn't register that I'm swinging a melee weapon at them.

If you throw a weapon at them they get knocked down and don't run as fast when they get back up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Manny, Evan, the Fans and Martin all seem to show the effects that Jacket's rampage had on society. Martin in particular only really exists to show how mass media revels in violence while also embellishing events to the point that the barely resemble reality. Think of all those "based on a true story" films about serial killers or how every fictional murderers are based on Ed Gein.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Poolparty posted:

The only ones I know of are:
- On the final snake mask level don't die and collect the disk at the computer. As the journalist get the disk from the evidence room for a bonus level
- On one of journalist intros when his kids bedroom has all the toys, answer the phone to meet up with a special character.
- Knock over all of the cartoon cut out boards on Homicide for a secret achievement

The Nuclear Throne cutouts? I was giddy when I saw them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Gonna dress up as Jake because I already have the sweet nunchaku

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Will buy if it is also priced at USD 4.20

I will buy it when it is on sale for $0.69

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Narcissus1916 posted:

The idea that Jacket hallucinated Beard because they were old war buddies is admittedly very cool. I'm still not sure how people leaped to the conclusion that the blonde kid you rescue was jacket, as that's some mighty subtle connection-linking. Was I supposed to have a moment where I go "Aha! That's the guy from Hotline Miami 1!"?

I'm also eager to go back to Hotline Miami 1 after finishing this up, largely to see if the "bait the enemy" AI works just as well in that game as it does in this one.

Payday 2 also claims that Jacket is ex-military and Jakes says that a lot of people involved with 50 Blessings are former military.

E: Jake also looks a heck of a lot like one of the Hawaii commandos but that guy didn't make it out of the power plant.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 27, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

fat Ghost Wolf dude is a teacher; jake works (worked) in a scrapyard, if we're assuming the comic's to be trusted

even if we're not, holy poo poo can you imagine jake as a teacher

Nunchaku classes for extra credit

"No they aren't 'nunchucks', get the hell out of here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Fat Ghost Wolves character survives the events of HM1- he's visible watching the news in a bar in the first comic.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that Evan was also the journalist in Hawaii.

It's very clearly the same face

• Locked thread