Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have to say, getting A+ on every level in the first game was a lot of fun. In some of the levels it's really easy and in some other ones it's extremely difficult and it will force you to play like a reckless psychopath to keep your combo going. There isn't really anything as satisfying as getting a 15x combo.

I got A+ in nearly every stage on the first try simply by not using weapons and beating everyone up unarmed, usually the boldness score alone was enough to get the highest rank. It finally stopped being that easy somewhere in the last couple of stages, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I remember reading the same thing in the morning, then looking at this thread and thinking "huh, 0 replies".

Now it's evening, I check the thread, see 90 replies and I immediately know that a.) this thread is probably unreadable for a while and b.) HM2 is probably enjoying a lot of free publicity.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

:mario:Nobody cares how edgy or PC you are about rape:mario:

Mario frowns upon all of you.

It was only five more days too!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Call me lovely but I'm stuck on the first loving level (second after the prologue)

The downstairs was super easy but holy gently caress the upstairs is infuriating. There's just no easy way to deal with this. If I focus on the guys in the room to the right, the guys below kill me. Focus on the guys below, guys to the right kill me. I can't see the guys below without zooming, but if I'm zooming to line up a shot then its too hard to react fast enough to swivel around and kill the guys coming from the other direction in time. I feel like the game is too loving fast-paced to respond in time, so I have to just play methodically and make sure to only agro one or two guys at a time, which is just frustrating with how unreliable the AI code is.

Uggggggh :argh: I'm loving the soundtrack and the style but this first level is already pretty bullshit. I can't imagine how anybody who didn't play HM1 would feel, although I guess why wouldn't you play HL1 first.

Seriously I have to put this down, its really pissing me off. Playing a level over and over to try different approaches works great and gets you into a groove. Dying within the first .2 seconds though, and respawning endlessly to die after .2 seconds isn't loving fun :v: I need more of a chance to actually get somewhere.

Maybe after work I'll give it another shot, but I really don't want to play that upstairs level again. But if this is the first level, its only going to get worse, isn't it? :smith:
I had no trouble beating all the levels on HM1. Some of them took me awhile, but I never died as fast as I do here while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Just cleared it all in a single combo with the chain or whatever (only just started playing the game), it was harder than the first game's first level but it's far from "bullshit". Took a bunch of tries but the best way to start for me was to run to the room on the right and take out the two guys up top with one swipe, then turn around and take out the third guy before he cuts you. By that time the pistol guy in the hallway might or might not be in the doorway and if he is you can just run or dodge roll to him and kill him too. After that just go in whichever order you want, any lone guy can be taken out by rolling to him and if there's a guy near a door just bust through it and roll to the other guy who's still standing and hit him, then kill the other guy who was knocked down by the door afterwards.

Also you can always break line of sight to deal with anyone with a gun, if they see you show up in a doorway or behind a corner they will run to your melee range for easy kills. Overall t really wasn't particularly different from the levels in the first game so if you cleared that, the only reason you can't clear that stage is because you've gotten rusty.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess I just need to Git Gud or maybe I'm too rusty.

But I blew through like the first 6 levels of Hotline Miami 1 without much issue before it started to get really hard.

Hotline Miami 2 has a pathetically easy tutorial level and then it immediately ramps up to being as hard as the last levels of HM1. That feels odd to me. A gentler curve would have been nice.

Like seriously if you just put a door in one of these two hallways on this first level it would be SO much more manageable, but as-is I just keep getting shot as soon as I loving start playing, every single time. I can't even try new things. And that's really frustrating. I need options here.

I tried again and whipped up a quick and dirty 15-second webm of me clearing it with an A+. I fumble around a bit since I'm not used to the controls yet and obviously the enemy placement changes but my point is that it's the same style that worked in the first game, namely always keeping on the move. Certainly no need to be particularly slow and methodical, at least with that level.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress? Maybe its just bad timing, but I can't do this. I tried doing exactly that like 8 times; If I run for the right room like you do, everybody in the lower room agros to me and they come and shoot me in the back before I've finished them off. I tried running past the right room for that very reason, but then when I hit the people down below the people in the right come running out and shoot me. I can't go fast enough, they agro way too quick.

I'll record a webm myself after work if I'm still stuck.

The dude from below agros you and stands there and doesn't shoot, wtf. When I do that all 3 guys from below agro and they come out guns a-blazing. I'm dead before I can finish with the room.

I guess I just gotta get the timing down, but I'm doing this WHILE zooming ahead and looking at the timing.

Both of you just charge in there without looking. Maybe something's buggy?

If you have a melee weapon that can take out guys in one hit then I can't picture how the guys coming from the bottom could kill you that fast. It only takes a split second to clear the room on the right and there are a whole bunch of corners you can use to lure firearm dudes next to you even if they're running for you from the second you enter the level.

And yeah, so far I haven't used zooming at all personally, it was never really my style in the first game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

This game rules, so far it's a perfect sequel and I like what they did with the story. Somehow the gunplay feels much better and I've been using it a lot. The bigger maps are interesting. As long as I use the view stretching L2 button and use lock on to scout ahead I don't have much trouble with them. They definitely ramped up the difficulty but the game's so tight and catered to fast gameplay that I don't care, and I absolutely hate "hard" rage inducing games. It's HM2 and I'm glad.

I just run around stabbing people without scouting at all and the constant cycle of dying and murdering horribly is as great as ever.

Maybe I'll finally have to learn to use firearms too.

Oh, also

Skunkrocker posted:

Casualties of frustrating gameplay in HLM2:
1 mouse
1 headset
1 bottle of painkillers
2 cans of soda
5 cigarettes
1 webcam
1 office chair

Source your quotes.

• Locked thread