Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Casualties of frustrating gameplay in HLM2:
1 mouse
1 headset
1 bottle of painkillers
2 cans of soda
5 cigarettes
1 webcam
1 office chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

How to crash Hotline Miami 2:

1. Go to any Richter playable intro stage.
2. Inside his house, move up stairs so game starts to load the top floor map, but stop. When the floor loads, move towards the door; this will load the top floor map, but show you in the first floor area anyway. You know you've done it correctly if you can walk out the front door and see the second floor deck.
3. Now just get on the bus as if you were starting the stage normally.
4. Critical exception! Crash to desktop! :v:

EDIT: Man, Richter's storyline screws with me. I guess there is a canon explanation as to what happened in the police station of the first game, in that Jacket lets him live but who the hell did that?

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, apparently there is a update for the game already; maybe that patched out that bug I just posted? I dunno... hahahaha nope.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Taking a break for a minute. On 24 I think? Not sure. Lot of acts. Lot of pain in the rear end missions. Lot of bullshit moments. Still love it.

Also, music straight up sampling Silent Hill at one point! I was like "holy poo poo that is a remix of a Silent Hill song!"
Konami is gonna sue somebody!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Waiting for the level editor to be released so we can find out that there are actually flags for enemy sight and hearing radius. Or stuff like "has headphones on" or "is nearsighted", "not a team player" or even "just doesn't give a poo poo".

edit: Actually for the first game, didn't Jonaton or Dennis reveal that some of the AIs are programmed to stay totally in place and not respond to sounds? That's probably it right there.

Some are designed to never leave their post or their path unless they see you, in which case they'll give chase but if you lose them they'll return to their post. Which is pretty dope.

Also I'm trying to find the song that samples Silent Hill in the soundtrack. Anyone know what it is? I've skimmed the soundtrack and haven't heard it yet. El Huervo - Ghost and the song it samples by the way is Akira Yamaoka's Tears Of... from Silent Hill 1

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

They're basically reskinned dogs, man. Bait one out, run for a police baton and put him down. You can even slow them by shooting at them.

Incorrect. They throw a wrench in the works with their design; literally, you have to throw and hit them with something first before they can be killed. They duck if you shoot them and if you try to hit them before you throw something at them they'll ignore you and squish yer head.

Going back into the fray, wish me luck.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I was on the second to last level.

I just beat the game.

End guy was tough.

...now what?

:smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

Hard mode, you know you wanna.

Good point. What's the difference between Normal and Hard anyway?

You know, someone is probably going to make a mod that let's you play through any level as any character and maybe let's you play through the original Hotline Miami again as any character and include all of those masks and include all of the Biker stuff too.

They're all going to get recreated in the level editor anyway.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

So uh I guess 50 Blessings plans didn't work out because Richter apparently got nuked too, in Hawaii. Unless it's supposed to be film degrading or something.

No, it's definitely the nuke, but I think the idea goes further than that. Think about another popular franchise with a nuclear war started with Communists, Fallout. It's all part of the 50 Blessing's plans. Sadly, we don't get to know what those plans are, but I think they want to keep the war going, nuke or no nuke. War profiteering, industrial complex, etc etc etc. Layers of loving symbolism here. Social commentary. Get your tumblr accounts ready.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

DIfferent enemies, no lock on, enemies sense you easier.

HAHAHAHA GO gently caress YOURSELF :suicide:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Holy poo poo, this loving thread. Half of the posts are "this is bullshit this game is terrible they ruined it gah it sucks so bad" and the other half is "lol scrub get good 360noscope420smokeweederrday."

Meanwhile, I'm just over here, smoking my cigarette, drinking some Dr. Pepper, having beaten the game on Normal. Fantasizing about doing it on Hard, which hey maybe I can complete maybe I can't. The level editor will be pretty dope. This is one of the best games ever. I hope the level editor will have "Jacket" and "Biker" modes as well. Like you can't even ruin my mood right now with this game. And yet, I get where the haters are coming from. Holy poo poo it's really hard, really REALLY hard. But that's the point. Would you play this game if it were easy? Imagine how Hard mode is gonna be, but if you go all the way from Normal to the end and then play on Hard you'll be prepared to tackle the challenge, right? And for the people who are being dicks to the people who find the game tough, don't even. You know you had the same issues, everyone does playing for the first time. Calm down, you're getting all pissy over nothing, and anyone who knows me (eg 1/2 of this thread right now) knows I'm the king of getting pissy over nothing so when I tell you to calm your tits, you're probably waaaaaaay out of line. And you are, you're being dicks. Stop being dicks.

Now everyone relax and listen to some M.O.O.N...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

Did everybody quit the game before waiting the ~30 seconds of black screen or what ? Granted, it's surely a bad joke, but one man can dream.

I waited for a moment and then just gave up and hit escape. :stonk: I'm so ashamed!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER BELOW

gently caress YOU DENNATON NOW I WANT HOTLINE 3

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Technically the second level of the game, first level with Detective Pardo, third playable area... Homicide... on Hard Mode...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Seriously, they had to do nothing else but remove the ability to use lock on, but they added in the harder enemies too.

Also can we assume the army commander in Hawaii is Brandon since he wears that particular 'mask'?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I just realized something.

Only one person in the entire game is never seen actually dying: Biker.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

With the cold war still going on in the game world and the fact that both Miami and Hawaii are nuked, probably literally nobody survives the end of the game. Like, on earth.

I'm just saying... we didn't see it. After all, he's an important character. Not just a playable one, because we see non playable characters die too.

I'm just implying, ya know, Biker might live on. Somehow. Maybe he's in a fallout shelter, somewhere far away from Miami. He's a smart ruthless motherfucker. Maybe he figure it out before anyone else. Maybe... maybe...

Hotline Miami 3: Nightcall

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Just Alex and Ash, highlighting another personality difference amongst the fans.
You tell me that big mother fucker next to them holding a sign isn't Mark.

Shima Honnou posted:

I've seen people say Jake has no place in the story, but I think he might. He looks like the fat soldier during the Hawaii missions, and you never clearly see fat soldier's face since he wears a bandana, but they got the same ears and similar forehead, albeit Jake's is more haggard with age. Makes sense to me that they might be the same person, especially since Jake loving hates him some Commie bastards and wants America to rise again.
Thought the same thing, could work I guess, but I doubt it. Despite the whole "more haggard with age" thing, Jake seems to actually be younger than Daniels.

:stare:

What the gently caress...?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

The whole "there are no choices in video games! You are a slave!" Trope needs to loving die in a real bad way. Oh wow, life is meaningless and pointless. Deep loving thoughts there.

Well... I present FarCry 4 as evidence that developers are starting to NOT do that, and they are programming in choices. I also present Bioshock as a point where that "you are a slave" thing actually worked for the story line unlike other games.

And life is meaningless and pointless. It is up to you, sir, to give it a point.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Wow, way to not read any of the loving posts.

Eh, forget it Plan Z, it's Chinatown.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Also, one thing that is really bothering me is that throwing a knife seems to be a 50-50 chance if it actually kills the dude or just knocks him down. I used throwing knives a lot when S-ranking the Richter stages, and a failed kill sometimes meant the end of my combo.

It was like that in HLM1 as well, the idea being that sometimes the handle will hit instead of the blade, also I think distance might have something to do with it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Jake's sweet Goon Tang style.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I really hope the game let's you import custom VHS covers for your custom levels.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Richter:
Doesn't Richard appear next to him right when the bomb hits

:stonk:

Nooooooooooooooooo...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Hmmm... how's this for a theory?

"Richard" is pure, unadulterated evil, bringing about the end of the world. All of these people he influences to do his bidding and cause World War III, and therefore the apocalypse. And he's very happy about that.

That's right, the antichrist is a gigantic cock.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

But if you listen to what he says he's trying to dissuade people from doing what they're doing. To the point where he's even actually confused and disgusted by Bardo.

He's confused because nothing Pardo does helps his cause, and he's disgusted because Pardo killed Tony. BOOM! How's that for a conspiracy theory, bitches?!

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 14, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

tower of druaga posted:

Anyone know what's up with the tapes you can find upstairs after Subway

Someone theorizes that since March 10th was the release date of the game, March 16th MIGHT be the release of the level editor.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

SomeIdiot posted:

Yo, how's about both the 'git gud' guys and the 'game's poo poo' guys tone it down a tad? Seriously. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle or something like that? I dunno. :shobon:

Anyways, game's pretty solid with a few iffy decisions and level design. The level design kinda encourages a different style of play than the first one, and after I got ahold of that, I was doing pretty good, I think.
Not quite as instantly charming(I guess? Not sure how else to put it.) as the first game, definitely, but the storyline/art-work/music was pretty good.
(If I need to have the achievement for +A-ing all the levels before my opinion matters, gimme a bit. Only two or three more levels to go!)

Yeah, I can't beat the game on Hard and certainly won't A+ any of the levels, and I think the game is great.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It might be helpful for the score-runners to note that the first Richter level and the first Writer level both require carrying a combo between floors to get a high rank.

Well of course he would- he couldn't play very far because he can't open doors.

That's what they said about velociraptors. Now what, motherfucker?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well hopefully we'll see the level editor come out soon, getting bored of replaying Jake's missions over and over again. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Remake Falling Down.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Sockser posted:

I've finished the whole game and I still don't get it :saddowns:

I think I know the part you don't get...

This is an alternative history of the world. There wasn't a cold war. Russia straight up invaded Hawaii. That's why so much poo poo is weird in this world. It's not our universe. Think of it the same way that the Metal Gear Solid series brings up poo poo that actually happened and mixes it with it's own insane universe of targeted superbugs, gigantic mechs, and cloning.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, and about the level editor stuff...

Even if the level editor only allows so much, I'm pretty sure there will be a way to add poo poo in just like with Portal 2's level editor, and the SDK. I mean this game is made in Game Maker after all, I'm sure there will be a way with Game Maker to add in those special animations and stuff if that already isn't an option.

I suspect the mods for this game are going to be a mixture of people doing dumb poo poo, people doing okay poo poo, and people doing amazing poo poo. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I just really hope every other loving new level for this game isn't called "Hotline Miami 3." Get creative nerds.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 16, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

When the level editor comes out, if it's not possible to import music, they should just sell DLC for it that's nothing but song packs.

I so hope we can just import our own music... I have so much retrowave and ambient...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Geight posted:

Nah it'll be just like the Payday 2 fanfics he makes, all posts no content.

:allears:

You're my goddamn hero.

Also seems March 16th actually didn't mean anything and was just a fun coincidence. No level editor for us. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Hollenhammer posted:

oh totally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

edit: thinking about Lost Highway more, theres a load of similarities here....

That's what I thought the puppet Manny was.

Pirate Jet posted:

Rofl you're pretty fond of writing Payday fan fiction yourself there buddy

Huge difference, I know what I write is fan fiction.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

Dallas went to remove his mask.
"No," Whispered Jake. "Keep it on. I like it with the mask on."
It had been two weeks since the clown had been assigned the task of stealing an amassed collection of firearms collected by the 50 Blessings group. That was where he met Jake. When he saw the Snake-Headed man destroying a horde of Russian mobsters using his sweet Nunchuck skills Dallas felt something he hadn't felt in many years. Love.
"Let me see your other snake." Dallas said, flirtatiously.
Jake unzipped his jorts when the phone rang, the answer machine picked it up after the 3rd beep.
"Guys!" The voice was familiar, it was Bain. Dallas' handler, "The astro-glide! Go get it!"

:stare:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

:stonk::fh:

e: This is a lot funnier to me than it should be. Goddamn it's too early in the morning for this poo poo.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

In case there was any doubt about Pardo having a hosed up hero complex, for a brief second during the outro for chapter 2 there's an imagined ghost cameraman over his shoulder (garbo phone pic again, sorry ps4)

I never noticed.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I think Jake is a code name...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

I beat the Pardo dock level on hard earlier after 53 minutes. I got stuck at the level with 3 rooms made of tiny windows and couldn't figure out how to get past the second room without alerting the fat guys until I fired a round while hiding in the first one. The opening of the one right after makes you react instantly but it's good practice for evading fire.

That's the level that taught me on hard? If you don't have a melee ability, bring a gun to every floor, either a silenced pistol or a shotgun, cause the first rear end in a top hat you encounter will be a fat gently caress.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

You guys are confusing everyone because you're not reading what they're writing. Specifically someone asks how you know that Beard's nuclear explosion takes place in San Francisco and you lay down all this knowledge about how this happened in the comics and this was a reference to this and all this other poo poo. The same poster will then ask if it's ever referenced in the game and you bring up the box cover. But that doesn't answer his question now does it?

So here we go, this is the million dollar question that poster and myself and probably some other people want answered:

How do you know that the explosion that takes place outside of Beard's shop is in fact in San Francisco? Is it ever referenced in game besides the scene it happens in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The party that introduces you to the fans makes me sad that you don't get to unlock more masks because they went to the trouble of rendering a lot of them for that one throw-away scene. The panda bartender would be hilariously :3: for killing people in.

I just noticed something weird: the Panda mask is the only one that didn't appear in HLM1.

The guy behind the couch next to the boxes has on Rasmus, and inside the boxes is several masks: Jake, Aubrey, Dennis, Richard, Tony, Jones, and Richter. The barback is wearing a Dennis mask and there is Jake and Tony masks on the counter.

Who are you, mysterious panda bartender? What is your story?

• Locked thread