Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone tell me the best mask to use for mission 11 (Deadline) in the first game? It's starting to piss me off and I'd like to be able to move on so I can get more story.

You could probably get good mileage out of any of 'em, but Tony or Graham (you'll need the walking speed later in the level) are good bets.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Space bar.

I wish wearing Ted meant you didn't have to kill the dogs, since they leave you alone, but I guess that wouldn't really be Jacket.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It's going to be a wild ride. It'll be interesting to see if anything matches how messed up the execution of the mobster in the second level is.

It looked like the mobster who got executed in that level was the same guy we saw playable in the trailer. Wonder where that'll go. Curious about the guy in the black suit, too.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 9, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Another one, from the same account. Apparently one of the random mask guys we found dead in HLM1's a character in this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Maskless guy's just outside the bar in that demo, too. Maybe that's where most/all of the playable people hang out, not just the Fans? Probably not Pig Butcher or the mobster.

Edit: Nevermind, dumb question/speculation. But here's an interesting video from Nigel Lowrie where he goes into a bit more detail on some of the new stuff. Apparently one of the new guys is a detective.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, the playable mobster is really obviously the same dude as the one who got executed by the Fans. At the very least the character model is identical; I mean, all the HLM1 mobsters looked the same too but none of them were major characters and I imagine weren't literally supposed to be assumed to look the exact same as each other. Wondering just how long this game's gonna be with at least eight or nine playable people.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I could've sworn the skin tone was different. The mobster in Execution seemed to have really dark skin.

Nah, far as I can tell they're the same dude, the lighting's just different in Dial Tone. Compare the models:

Execution

Dial Tone

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Isn't that just the "generic Russian gangster" outfit that we killed thousands of in the first game?

The suit is, but the character model isn't - the mobsters in the first game were faceless white dudes, while this guy has actual facial features.

HLM 1 mobster, for reference:

(I swear every one of those motherfuckers must've been ex-Spetsnaz, what with the perfect aim and Jedi reflexes. Glad they're all dead.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 16, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Very excited about the more challenging maps, HM1 was tricky sure, but it wasn't that hard once you got into the groove. You can dodge an awful lot of gunfire if you know how to move

HLM 1 was hard as balls but its difficulty was about as real as pro wrestling. Too many arbitrary "gently caress you"s as opposed to actual challenge. It wasn't even a "not aggressive enough" thing because there were times I'd just get instantly ventilated before I'd even had the opportunity to do anything; I sorta wonder if lag had something to do with how bullshit fast every enemy was whereas you guys seem to have had no trouble whatsoever. Whatever, hopefully Wrong Number will be less dumb about it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Tin Hat posted:

The boss fights were the most exhausting parts of the first game for me, they took too many hits and every time you restarted you still had to sit through their little dialogue, which broke the fast-paced rhythm of how the game usually plays.

Hold down the right mouse button and it skips all cutscenes, including in-level dialogue.

Also, something that I just found out you can do that's hilarious: Kill the director then try to just leave, without getting the hooker. She gets indignant and it's funny as hell.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I was getting killed before animations even played or well before there was any reasonable chance to react all the time, not to mention all the dudes who seemed to just phase right through attacks. So I think lag might've been an issue, especially since Biker had this weird tendency to just randomly more or less go Super Saiyan and never get his cleaver stuck in walls. A fun thing to do though was to use Dennis or just get a knife from a thug and advance while holding down LMB for dear life - instant purée for anyone who gets in reach!

Interesting info from the HLM twitter about the Swan siblings, though:

quote:

Hotline Miami ‏@HotlineMiami Apr 20

@M37B @GazVon The back surrenders if the front dies.

[...]

Hotline Miami ‏@HotlineMiami Apr 20

@rodrigo2406 Gun swan cannot be killed.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

The blonde, maskless man is confirmed to be a detective.

Nope. Just that there is a detective, which we already knew. It's probably the blond guy though, yeah.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Khorne posted:

The secret to hotline miami is to run forward and never stop. It's okay to die a million times. Most levels are extremely short. Just identify what worked, keep doing that, and then when you die change your timings slightly until you don't. Dying being of little consequence is all part of the game's charm. It's not so much about reflexes as it is about patterns and some kind of pseudo-planning through repetition.

What works or doesn't is pretty much completely random, though. Enemy movements are random, weapon effect is random, if you even hit the enemy is often pretty random, etc. It's less of a glorified slot machine than FTL but you can't really pick out what worked and keep trying because it's just getting kicked in the teeth over and over until the game goes "Okay, now you can make progress."

Edit: Also, I know why it's the case but am I the only one a little disappointed the fight with the dual wielding mob boss is so scripted? For example it's possible to sneak an Uzi into the arena as Richter but it doesn't do anything - it would've been cool if they'd actually programmed tricks like that to work.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
According to the Hotline Miami twitter account, that isn't true.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I've admittedly not caught up with the thread so as to avoid spoilers, but does anyone know if there's an ETA for a fix with the steam version? Enemies bug out constantly and the controls don't even work more often than not. For example, pressing LMB will either do nothing at all or act as if the button is being held down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I guess that's a no on the Steam question.

• Locked thread