Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pre-ordered. Here's hoping the longer dev time combined with it being a sequel means this ian't a buggy mess at launch like the first was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think being "a fan" of a character like Jacket is any different from being a fan of a slasher movie villain or murderous "anti-hero" (like the characters in Rob Zombie's movies). It doesn't mean you think real killing is cool, it's the anarchic nature of the characters and the aesthetic. And violence is exciting, even when it's disgusting and unsettling.

When the whole point of a character is to point out how broken and awful they and the world they inhabit is then, yes, it is kind of stupid/hosed up to idolize them. People who like to dress up like Jacket are like the people who buy Patrick Bateman action figures or replicas of the scorpion jacket from Drive.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ayn rand hand job posted:

What about the dude in Shoot Em Up

He's a trickster god.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

WickedHate posted:

I love Hotline Miami's story and I'm invested enough in the characters to believe Jacket is more heroic then most people think, but it seems weird they're suddenly going from minimal story to what looks like a whole lot of it. All the interpertations of Hotline Miami being a take on seperation of gameplay and story seem weird now.

I think it's the right choice because a big part of the appeal of Hotline Miami's story was how out of nowhere it was, and you can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you want to get in the mood for Hotline Miami 2 but don't want to spoil the soundtrack may I recommend some thematically-appropriate Netflix? I assume everybody already knows about Drive.

Black Mirror S2E02: White Bear

You're Next

Blue Ruin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKdWj9-VMzs

Beyond the Black Rainbow

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Robawesome posted:

John Wick should be in that list, though it's not on Netflix

Neither is Hobo With A Shotgun. :sigh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Do you guys bitch like this when this happens in a movie or book? :allears:

Shut the gently caress up and either buy the game or don't. No one cares about your morality.

"Stop talking about this, but first let me get the last word in :smugbird:"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Good to see that the stillborn YCS clone is so dead that they have to resort to trolling the real thread just so they have something to titter about back at the p'zone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I really don't want to watch that film due to its subtones. Don't loving cheat and make my animal brain freak out by using sounds I don't understand. Make me uncomfortable by showing me horrible poo poo.

The only thing Gaspar Noe's made that wasn't aggressively unpleasant are the opening titles to Enter The Void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxgi-PiNFE

:catdrugs:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Butt Ghost posted:

Hotline Miami is drugs

I first played Hotline Miami when I had a really bad cold, the bright colors and swaying camera are a pretty good simulation of a modest DXM trip imho.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Drive, Hobo With a Shotgun, Machete, most Quentin Tarantino movies, Beyond the Black Rainbow if it's about the soundtrack and psychadelic quality I dunno man

It really depends on what part of Hotline Miami you liked, and it's not like "retro action movies with lots of gore" or "psychedelic movies with retro soundtracks" are impossible to find in the world

All the movies I suggested earlier I consider thematically appropriate because, in addition to being violent and stylized with neon/synth music/animal masks, they're all genre movies that intentionally gently caress with the conventions and expectations of the genre much like how Hotline Miami used videogame conventions to tell its story and set its mood.

You're Next is a home invasion/slasher movie where the killers are all human and fallible while a member of the family they're trying to kill is hyper-competent to the point where halfway through the movie the killers and victim have effectively switched place.

Blue Ruin is a revenge movie about a guy killing the people who murdered his family but instead of being a smirking Charles Bronson delivering justice with one-liners he's a fat, bearded awkward Goon and all the killing is ugly and unglamorous and ultimately meaningless.

Beyond The Black Rainbow is a trippy 70s-style psychedelic sci-fi story that ends with the characters leaving their crazy genre laboratory and entering the real world of the 80s, where a mad scientist who has achieved enlightenment and possesses ultimate cosmic power can do little more than startle a pair of heshers and then die from tripping over a rock.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When it comes to cinema difficulty Only God Forgives is basically Drive on expert mode. It was infamously booed at Cannes and despite the focus on violence it only has one real fight scene.

I enjoyed it but it's really a love it a hate it thing. If you're not going to watch it and you don't give a poo poo about spoilers you should at least watch said fight scene because it's :krad: even out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrsOI_C5hY

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

I still need to get back and check this idea, but I think we meet the people from Abyss on one other occasion. I think they're the other attendees at the Fans' party before the first scene.

The party that introduces you to the fans makes me sad that you don't get to unlock more masks because they went to the trouble of rendering a lot of them for that one throw-away scene. The panda bartender would be hilariously :3: for killing people in.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a pretty fundamental (and stupid) direct authorial contradiction in the first game, whose message presented by the janitors at the end was "Wow, you sure are stupid for caring about this intricately plotted narrative we made! What a waste of time!" It's quite possible they're shooting for something similar this time around, as well, although I'm more likely to chalk that up to them taking the axe to a number of levels/features late in development.

Hotline Miami 2 was originally announced as coming out in 2013 and was pushed back multiple times, including a last-minute push back from a holiday 2014 release. Considering that the pig butcher was something they showed off so heavily when they first announced it and how in the final game he's practically an afterthought with no connection to the main plot it feels like they were going to do a straightforward sequel about the pig butcher but then came up with the story we got in the final game and scrapped most of it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Beekeeping and You posted:

I hope the level editor supports custom characters. I sort of want to make a gimmick pair of characters, alex & ash style, where one is knife-only and the other one has a tank of gasoline that he trails. You can use the the explosions to attract attention, or set traps!

If Don't Starve is any indication, the ability to make custom characters would mean that 90% of the Steam Workshop would be the internet awkwardly crowbarring in their fursonas and mopey anime Tumblr avatars without regard for art style or technical competence.

Which is one more reason why it would be the best thing ever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Smiley Jones posted:

I wanna see someone post a video of them hacking the game so they can get an S rank on every hard mode level with Dallas.

At the risk of :can: somebody has already managed to make a trainer for Hotline Miami 2. The problem is that the game's coding is so shoddy that it can't even work properly, fatties and dogs can still kill you when you're "invincible" and infinite ammo doesn't work with character-specific weapons like the soldier weapons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Invisible Ted posted:

I really like his games, but HLM is really the only one with a heavy focus on soundtrack

Cactus did make KEYBOARD DRUMSET loving WEREWOLF which is essentially an interactive music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wpu8gS_18

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mesadoram posted:

Frantic Aerobics and Hollywood Heights comes to mind, nothing wrong with them they just a little tongue and cheek 80's vibe to them.

I really liked them both on their own and because of their silliness; the game uses them in dream sequences right before Richard shows up and totally ruins the mood and they're the perfect compliment to an acid-washed 80s fantasy like being a famous actor on a daytime talkshow or cruising down the highway in your sick sports car with a bag of money at your side.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

They ultimately decide it should be 49 blessings because really, who could consider Florida a blessing

If Hotline Miami didn't win you over just wait until Tallahassee Massacre, Jacksonvile, and Daytona Showdown come out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cock hero flux posted:

If you throw a gun near them they pick it up and become a regular enemy.

Even if they don't pick it up knocking them over resets their AI and they become normal, slow, highly-killable mooks when they get up.

I really hope this isn't a glitch that eventually gets patched out and makes the game even harder, like being bulletproof during executions in the original release of Hotline Miami.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The pig butcher is something they've been kicking around for so long that he's in some of the earliest footage of the original game, the files still have a full set of sprites including unique ones for a fight against Biker, and he's even the Steam icon for the game:

He feels like something that the devs were so attached to that they put him in for their own gratification even if they couldn't come up with a really good reason for it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Genocide achievement (50,000 kills) is so ridiculous to unlock without letting the game run overnight with an auto-clicker, I'm betting that when the level creator comes out a lot of levels are just going to be built around getting tons of kills as quickly as possible so you can grind it out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
For reference, short of hacking the game or downloading a savegame right now the most sane way to get it is to glitch the respawn system so you respawn with a gun in your hands in a position where you're locked in a continuous cycle of shooting and dying.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

quakster posted:

Pretty sure you end killing at least 5000 dudes just by playing the game normally. If editor kills count, you'd rack it up pretty quickly.

What is this idiocy where people want endgame cheevos with as little thinking as possible? If a game has 50 enemies and gives you a trinket for 50 kills, you don't kill the first dude and restart 50 times, you just play the game normally and get the reward that way. Focusing on one task at a time is understandable but when it turns everything into a bizarre grind, it's time to put the controller down.

The achievement isn't for 5,000, it's for 50,000.

I 100%'d the game and according to Steam almost twice as many people have managed to get an A+ in every level as have killed 50,000 enemies. (0.67% of players vs. 0.36% of players, respectively) It's something that was obviously intentionally designed to be difficult to get and require a huge investment of time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Milky Moor posted:

lol you actually posted about yahtzee

Man Who Built Career On Inability To Complete FPS Tutorial Baffled By Game

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

moths posted:

Where can I read more about this?

There's really not much more to it than that. His first video was about how The Darkness was a bad game because he couldn't figure out how to complete the tutorial.

For comparison, my little brother was 10 years old at the time and he managed to beat the entire game unassisted.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Wasn't expecting another Hotline Miami sequel so soon :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Whereas all the graphical quirkiness of Hotline Miami seems to be a neat artistic choice, here it seems to be completely and utterly disorienting WAIT HOLY poo poo I LITERALLY HEARD SOMEONE SCREAM "ALALAALALAALALAALALALALA" AT ME

That's the exact same sample they used in Postal 2!

Erata posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :suicide:

The more I see of this the more I get the feeling that it's some weird Russian website's equivalent of Awful Fantasy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

UIApplication posted:

is there any chance this is a dupe and the level editor gets released instead and this disappears from steam

the production values of the trailer look way too good for graphics that look like 8-bit color depth drawn in MSPaint

IIRC the game is a small project that got latched onto by the Russian internet community after the fact and blew up so it kind of makes sense , like how the guy who makes Touhou can barely draw but there's fucktons of professional-looking fan art and videos made about the games. Or how Cheetahmen II became a Japanese meme and shows up in a lot of videos and fan games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Pls confirm if the soundtrack really Rick rolls you because lol

20 years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY2wf7T428

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8xce9HtD8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Plus the entire reason that First Trial happens is because Pardo sends Evan to The Golden Truckstop with a bogus password, presumably for the sin of focusing his investigation on Jacket instead of giving publicity to the Miami Mutilator.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Been watching some Bloodbath Kavkaz videos, maybe it's just me but a game about a modern Russian killing Muslims doesn't have quite the same feel as a game about an alternate-universe 80s hitman killing Russians.

It certainly makes the "we're not racist, this is all fiction" disclaimer on the Steam page make a lot more sense.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Between an all-new DLC campaign for Postal 2 and the release of Hotline Bloodbath Kavkaz this had been a great month for lovely games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does a political figure acting as a waifu in the game sway your opinion in favour of it, Freak Futanari?

That poor woman.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bloodbath Kavkaz is part of this week's IndieGala bundle, if you were morbidly curious it's $1.99 for it and five other lovely games.

I really hope that when the level editor is added they add trading cards/badges/etc too on Steam, the wallpapers and icons for the original Hotline Miami were rad as hell.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It seems like it would just be easier to release the code at some point and let people make their own poo poo. They said they're not making any more Hotline Miami games anyways.

I remember before they updated it with the engine they used for the portable version somebody had actually used Game Maker to reverse-engineer the original Hotline Miami and do a bunch of bugfixes to it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ledgy posted:

I went to a live of Carpenter Brut + Perturbator and they played all my favorite HM tracks

What Im trying to say is it was very cool

How many people in letterman jackets and animal masks were there?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
At this point Bloodbath Kavkaz might put out its level editor before Hotline Miami 2 does.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sleeveless posted:

At this point Bloodbath Kavkaz might put out its level editor before Hotline Miami 2 does.

:owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz8waIWj3wQ

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Geight posted:

Honestly I just had a hard time caring about The Son's plotline. I mean, it has a memorable finale but I just didn't really like the guy or care about what he was doing.

A guy getting thrust into the spotlight by the events of Hotline Miami 1, having no idea how to deal with it, and winding up killing everyone and himself in a neon nightmare instead of just enjoying his success is a pretty good metaphor for the developers of Hotline Miami 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MariusLecter posted:

Apropos of nothing, a Hotline Miami movie would never work today.
The protagonist is a veteran radicalized by right wing media to commit acts of horrific mass violence and does it with a chicken mask symbolic of unquestioningly carrying out morally reprehensible orders and the dissociation that occurs where someone can know the difference from right and wrong but no longer see themselves as a moral agent.

Though if it did, it'd be all neon and masks with no substance with the damsel in distress that gets fridged to keep things moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogCrEqybu8

Ignoring how intrinsically the story is tied in to the gameplay, the problem with adapting Hotline Miami is that Jacket and the rest of the masked 50 Blessings killers are characters that don't have any agency or, well, character; they answer the phone, kill who they're told to, and then they die. It might work for a siege movie like Assault on Precinct 13 where they're an otherworldly force trying to kill the actual characters of the movie but You're Next already did that complete with animal masks.

Or you could just watch The Warriors and pretend they're all wearing animal masks, because if you want a movie about gangsters in matching outfits killing each other to synthesizer music under neon lights that's still the gold standard :v:

• Locked thread