Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is my favorite murder simulator, in the words of the late Jack Thompson. You just frantically run through all the levels non-stop, can chuck weapons entire screens away for a kill, and generally just play ridiculously. It encourages you to repeatedly do the same thing if you fail, and it's all around a blast.

I also hate people who listen to video game soundtracks and turn off music in every game, but I have had this game's soundtrack on my playlist since it came out. The sequel looks like its soundtrack is shaping up nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

I agree, but even with the things you could learn to handle enemies without being shot, a large portion of the game's difficulty is about quick reflexes. Stuff like the melee weapon reach and swing rate make timing really important in any area where you can't go to town with a gun.

Maybe you're not a bit old like me or you play a lot of that type of twitch retro game so you have those reflexes. But for me the game became too difficult after the first couple levels. Each subsequent level took more and more time, because I could only make any progress playing it like some kind of terrible stealth game. Waiting around for every guard to be in the optimal position sucks and makes each death even more frustrating.
The secret to hotline miami is to run forward and never stop. It's okay to die a million times. Most levels are extremely short. Just identify what worked, keep doing that, and then when you die change your timings slightly until you don't. Dying being of little consequence is all part of the game's charm. It's not so much about reflexes as it is about patterns and some kind of pseudo-planning through repetition.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What are the biker levels? The game didn't force me to change my play style ever. I just ran ahead as fast as possible killing everyone instantly along the way without ever stopping. It's the only way to play. I mean sure you might die over and over until you adjust to what you are facing, but there's no penalty for it and you are back in the action instantly.

Prior to hotline miami I thought magicka was one of the coolest indie games I had played.

• Locked thread