Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't hack it at the power plant and youtube is failing me, anyone wanna share details on the ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

A line I missed but really like:

Richard to Manny: " You, I don't get. Why is it you do the things you do?"

The entire last act is really really bad for that.

Jacket was a soldier with Beard. Beard died when San Francisco was nuked 2 years prior to the first game. Manny is the Miami Mutilator. 50 Blessings was created by the army general.

Richter survived the first game and escaped to Hawaii. He explains to Evan that he was the one who made the 50 Blessing target marks, but didn't do 'real' missions until one day his car was torched and it was implied his sickly mother would be next if he didn't comply, so he did.

The Son overdosed on pills, and killed a number of his own men in his hallucogenic state, as well as Mark, Corey, Ash and Alex. He injures Tony, then leaps off the skyscraper. Tony is executed by Manny.

The final scene is Richter chilling in Hawaii with his mother. A news broadcast reports that a coup was staged and both the US and Russian presidents were killed. Russia then obliterates the United States with nuclear weapons.

The whole thing is real/a vision/a movie/a dream/???

...Probably.

Jesus.

Reallyweird that Jacket was a soldier, tho 3 days ago we only knew the little info about him that was presented in HM1.

Also i apologize for any typos, awful.app's iPad keyboard is super fucky

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait what happened to author dude

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly i could live with the large areas, it's just that the sheer number of bad guys makes it so that when you die it sets you back way more than dying in the first one. It thru that rhythmic gameplay loop from the first one out the window.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Ability to drop guns without flinging them across the room, possibly behind things you can't get to to pick them back up.

Glad I'm not the only one. Also whichever mission you had to pick keys off a bad guy I had to do 3 times cause the keys landed under a couch

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Visiting family tonight, gonna try and beat casualties on my vita

Lol ok

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Annnnnnd beat the part i was stuck on the first try. With touchscreen lookscroll.

(Granted i used the snipes this time)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I was a pussy and looked up the ending.

In the first mission of act 5,
After beard gets nuked, when you control Richter, go upstairs before answering the phone. Talk to his mom laying in bed. She says she was dreaming of Richter, sitting with his father, staring out to sea, but felt like something bad was about to happen. :stare:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Richter:
Doesn't Richard appear next to him right when the bomb hits

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh poo poo, i forgot
He was wearing the richard mask in jacket's hallucination

Mindfuck

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you hit the wall, just quit the game and come back tomorrow. Works wonders on a skillful game like this

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VisAbsoluta posted:

If you skip any kind of command the director gives, you will still finish the tutorial but won't get the achievement, so that's why.

Yeah I didn't even know this was an achievement, went back and did it tonight, took about 5 minutes

I was at level 16 and missed this one

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

Other then the bottle of acid (Withdrawal) and skateboard (No Mercy) there's a taser in Caught.

If Richter were Jacket's son... But he doesn't recognize Jacket? Or what? I'm confused.

richter's mom says, in a semi-hidden scene, that she had a dream of Richter sitting and looking out into the ocean with his father, and that she sensed something bad was coming.

In the ending, he is doing that with his mom (I think), and then Richard appears in her place. Richter's responses to him seemed fairly calm and accepting, and then the nuke hits.

I just happened to notice that he was wearing the Richard mask when he shot Jacket in his dream sequence. I also read in the dialogue in a later chapter tonight, when Richter goes out on a job, he makes the excuse that he's going to meet a friend at the bar, and she says something along the lines of "Oh good, I was starting to think you were a loner like your father."

There's probably something there I just haven't seen everything yet

Edit - I think this is all in relation to Richard as in the mask or spooky death ghost or something, not Jacket.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Richter's special ability is having the best levels

Prison escape was the fuckin straight dope

His interstitial scenes legit made me sad tho

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also did anyone else notice that The "Richard" Evan meets doesn't have teeth or animate when he talks

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Idgi

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

oh hell I saw that but didn't get the implication

richard: no, richter. I am your father
richter: what the gently caress dad

Bingo

SA solves hotline miami

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whats funny is I never really tried doing these crazy combo runs until I saw the vids in this thread. I ripped thru the first 3 or so levels with A+/S ranks (couldn't finish Death Wish before I had to head out) and it was real fuckin fun. I have p much every HM1 map memorized, I'm gonna go back to that later and see what I can't pull off

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Help Im Alive posted:

I made an S rank video of Death Wish if anyone is interested (I just strung together the parts where I didn't die)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucnnlev1LcY

The twins really are the best. I don't use their gun to kill anyone, just to lure enemies

This is rad

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One question, I remember reading in previews that hard mode unlocked per-level based on getting >= C rank. Is that how it works or does it unlock all when you finish?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Newt posted:

Apologies if this had already been asked, but how the hell do you complete the Tony level of stage twelve where you get a different character each floor?

I've killed everyone, but there's no arrow to exit or anything to collect. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

Restart the level because you hit a bug. He's supposed to pick up the radio and automatically start the A&A floor

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hotline Miami 2 - powered by HTML5

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Newt posted:

Restarted the level, played both of the previous floors again... no, still hosed.

Goddamn it. I've had a few bugs so far but nothing that restarting the floor wouldn't fix.

Threw a pipe thru a wall and biffed a dude

Bug was less funny when i threw the pistol i desperately needed out into the stratosphere

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly after being too busy to play for 2 days and coming back to it last night I've gone from "great game, not as good as the first" to really really loving the game.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like mike tyson rampaging through a spinal ward

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah controller is better imo. When you get to the corner of the map and it stops scrolling you can aim more steadily

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is actually a pretty impressive feat of game design because he managed to make people go from "wtf this is such frustratkng bullshit" to "holy poo poo this game is awesome" again. It's literally the process everyone went through playing HM1. It's not easy to have essentially the same gameplay but to raise the bar another level so that even people who got crazy good at the first one had to work again.

This. All I had to do was walk away for a day. Granted I switched to the snipes in the level I was pissed at (casualties), but I went from swearing at my ps4 to beating it and all the Richter levels on my goddamn Vita for christs sake.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

Something I noticed about the twins - one of the best things is doing a chainsaw execution while the other provides covering fire. You get to directly control her aim, it's fantastic! Everything about the twins is the best thing about the twins.

poo poo I never thought to try that

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At first I totally missed what was going on when Pardo visited Alex's house. Didn't know who the girl was, or why the clothes got shoved under the bed

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's because he killed the guy who helped him in the tutorial

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Exactly which parts of hm1 didn't happen and were just coma dreams

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

It's called the Bar of Broken Heroes and the Fallout 2 one was Cafe of Broken Dreams or something, right?

Other way round I think

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

It's just a bug, I'm sure, but I can't figure out why it would happen...

What the A button? Probably xbox controller support on windows. My guess is their tools just let you pick which platform to build for, all the gfx for all versions probably remain in the bundle

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

spoiler from the comics: page two or three of issue one- in the bar, watching the news coverage. The fat member of the ghost wolves is still alive.

I just went on gog and apparently (at least for my account?) the comics are available for zero earth dollars

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I the only one who didn't think Dead Ahead wasnt that bad

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Think of all the people who will use Pig Butcher to rape their stalkee :allears:

Willing to bet that ends up conveniently (mercifully) left out of the object list

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your way works too posted:

My old writing teacher taught me that killing all of the characters at the end of a story was a mark of a bad writer. Usually it meant you had written yourself into a corner and needed to find a way to create enough change so you could end the story.

It kind of works here but I can't help feeling like the advice is dead on.

Everyones story p much concludes tho

Fans are dead
Evan wrote his book or reunited w the fam
Pardo is an insane wreck
Actor is dead
Beard is dead
Richter is at peace and w his mom
The son jumped off the building, tying up the last thread and leading to the nuke scene

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe some people just thought it was cool the original's mysterious story got fleshed out and it's fun looking for little details here and there that reveal little bits of info

It's not loving Twain but it's fun

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Max posted:

I had to do this on Evan's first mission on hard mode. There are two guards that just reset to their initial position that I couldn't bait.

I figured out on accident that its possible to whip a melee weapon at one of em (at least the right side one) from down the stairs without aggroing them first, which switches them into random wander mode (I assume you mean the two guys on the left/right facing each other in the center hall)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ddraig posted:

Right, but it's a dream sequence? Just about the only common thread running through most people's freakouts is Richard. Pardo is off doing his own thing, he only tangentially gets involved in what everyone else is doing. His only real connection to the Fans is via Evan.

He also shot tony in the face

• Locked thread