Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Remulak posted:

If this is the wrong thread, I apologize, I just need some Viola buying advice. I've been gifted with a daughter that's a very good Viola player - she's first chair in the second orchestra in her high school as a freshman, and is going into the higher one next year. After getting really hosed price-wise on the first rent-to-buy viola I'm trying to figure out the right way to pick up a decent intermedia instrument on the cheap. I know it's important to support local businesses, but given I paid $1k for a $150 viola I have a bad taste in my mouth so I wanted to try to do this online.

I've read elsewhere on *the internet* that Gilgas are the best bang/buck right now, so I was thinking about trying one of their intermediate violas from a place with a tryout policy and slapping really good strings on it. Does this make sense at all, is there a better way?

I'm open to whatever.

Edit - she tried the intermedia Carlo Rebelli at Sam Ash and thought it sucked if that's a data point. Don't know if that's just the one they had or it's a crappy instrument in general...

What was the price of the Carlo Robelli?

The 505 and 805 models are handmade, so they should be of good quality.

I actually run the Jean Baptiste and Carlo Robelli brands, so I'd love to help you if I can. 16", I assume?

Alternatively, I can try to assist with getting a high quality pro level European viola to your local Ash

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

:aaa: Seriously? Can I pick your brain sometime? Can I give you a list of things that annoy me about Jean Baptiste flutes and French horns? I teach middle school band in a seriously poor district, can I have some instruments? (Serious question. I turn away kids from my program every year for lack of instruments.)

Yes, yes and yes. Seriously. I've been working like crazy trying to improve upon the models, and the more feedback the better. Getting feedback from educators is extremely important to me, so I would be able to give you instruments in exchange.

I'm originally a sax player, so those in my opinion, have improved the most, simply because I'm a vintage nut and was able to take design cues from Mark VI's and apply it to our models. I'm a few weeks away from starting production on new professional models, based off of my 5 digit VI's; no high F# (so the altissimo just pops out), dark cognac lacquer, pearl front F and alt F#. I just got home from TMEA, and the students and educators there got the first peak (along with the owners of Cannonball and Jody Jazz, they were impressed, which really makes me feel good about it).

The flutes recently got a headjoint upgrade, so they sound better and are easier to play, but I'm aware that there are issues with them not holding their adjustments well. We QC them once we get them in our warehouse, and even still there are issues.

Drop me a line jeff@jeanbaptiste.com

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2015

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Whoa, thanks man! I just sent you an email with some brief comments about the flutes and French horns. I'm definitely going to make some time this week and head to my local Sam Ash to play them all again and give you some more detailed info. I am definitely willing to work for instrument donations. :haw:

Sent you back a response, be sure to try out the flutes and french horn I mentioned. If you play sax as well, the 290 models feature a new neck and now use Pisoni pads rather than the standard chinese pads you'd find on, say, the Prelude AS711 (which sells for $799 now. Ugh).

The stores should have the 686 intermediate models with the new necks as well, they would say "with new 690 neck" on the signs and have a model number ending with "N" For instance, the 686 vintage finish alto has been retrofitted with the new neck to go from 686AVF to 686AVFN; the new necks no longer have engraving. Once the older models are sold through, the new models, the 690's, will be arriving in stores at a slightly higher price (but still cheaper than a Yamaha 26) with Pisoni pads as well.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Mederlock posted:

If you're looking for cheap brass instruments that are great, you've got too check out http://www.wessex-tubas.com/. I just bought their Dolce model Euphonium that's a chinese-made clone of the Yamaha 642 with some modifications, and I paid 1185 USD for it (compare at ~5000-6000+ for the 642). I bought it based off of great reviews on it and it's brethren from several other retailers for the price from http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php, and this thing is great. My instructor was extremely impressed as well. It's loads better then the ~$1500 Jupiter 470L I was renting, From what I've read on the same forum I linked, their trombones, baritone/alto horns, and others are also pretty sweet for the money. Their tubas, which was what they originally were importing, are extremely well regarded as well.

Basically the line I've seen is you're getting 90% of the horn quality wise for 1/6 the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Baptiste...words=jbeupcoms

Was at the factory saw it being made along side my model, it's the same horn

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Mederlock posted:

If it's from the JinBao factory then yeah. Well, the Wessex ones have a few minor differences (2nd valve water key, floating leadpipe with a slightly different angle), but it is essentially the same horn.

e: Are all your horns sourced from JinBao? It seems to be like it's one of the most prolific makers of brass instruments that exist outside the realm of the major name brands.

No, not all horns, but there is a good deal of brass sourced from there. Most of our woodwinds aren't, and my new intermediate and professional trumpets that I developed are made in Taiwan.

They're the second largest manufacturer of brass and winds outside of Yamaha; we were one of the first US companies to use them, too. They also make some of Yamaha's drums

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

You have Taiwan to blame/thank for that mostly, in my opinion. Over the last ten years I've seen the quality of brass and winds coming out of Taiwan improve dramatically. As the quality and labor has improved, the prices have increased as well. Taiwan now is what Japan was 20-30 years ago for the industry.

A lot of Taiwanese companies, in order to keep the quality up while maintaining or reducing prices, has opted to buy or build factories in mainland China. Taiwanese tooling and materials with cheaper labor = amazing low cost instruments that is slightly higher than a typical chinese instrument, but similar if not identical quality you'd get from Taiwan. Hell, even Yamaha is doing it; their student models are primarily made in China now, with a few models made in India, Indonesia and Malaysia.

I'm working with a few such factories, one of which is producing my modern Mark VI. I've had players, educators, and other manufacturers comment that the alto is a bit better than a Yamaha 82ZII, while the tenor is only on par. $2100 vs $4000 for the alto, $2500 vs $4680 for the tenor. Hot drat.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

Does Jean Baptiste do oboes too? I'm on the lookout for a good value instrument to get sometime when I can spare the money. I'm a complete beginner, and will most likely be teaching myself how to play for fun as a diversion from all the serious practising.

I don't have any Oboes at the moment, it's on my slate of new products that I'm working on. I should have a few prototypes by the summer though; and if I don't go forth with production, I will have samples that I could sell for super cheap.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Erwin posted:

As a trumpet player, I agree.

Trumpet is my top selling instrument, followed by the flute.

So what I'm saying is that as a saxophone player, I would agree as well.

The amount of time I've spent this week alone trying to get my factories to get my changes implemented on my trumpets. Ugh.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Uh it is my 3rd day of playing clarinet today. I let one of my 8th graders conduct today and replaced her in the clarinet section. I kept scaring the hell out of the poor kid next to me because she's so unused to hearing squeaks. Jazz might have to wait a while. :( Although I have an awesome 6th grade bass clarinet player that loves jazz and improv. She's pretty good at it too.

God it feels messed up to be such a novice at an instrument. I'm so accustomed to playing trumpet, horn, or flute with a high degree of fluency. Squeaking every 6th note because I don't have the muscle memory for my embouchure yet is loving annoying.

Squeaking might be caused by your mouthpiece and reed combination. The tip opening and reed strength may be closing off or not closing enough. What's your current setup?

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Think my mouthpiece is an A3 and I'm using size 3 cheapass Ricos because the store was out of Rico Royals and Mitchell Lurie (and I didn't think I needed Vandorens my first time out). Standard metal ligature. The actual clarinet is a used Jupiter student model that I was able to grab pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure my squeaking is just embouchure fatigue + lovely tonguing but I'm open to suggestions. My tonguing is getting better but it's pretty different on clarinet than what I'm used to.

You still have some instruments for me? :)

I might recommend a softer reed for now.

And today is my last day before an extended sabbatical. No less than five minutes ago I got approval to send you some instruments; 2 next week, and possibly my new clarinet in July when it arrives.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Any sax players hiding out here? The pro models I designed are about to ship from the factory, and I'd love to start a pass-around to get some opinions and (hopefully) positive reviews. Student clarinet too!

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Kibner posted:

I don't want to overstep my bounds, so let me know if this is a no-go:

I have a friend who is looking for some student instruments. He just became the new director of bands at a high school that hasn't had a band program in 15 years and has to start from absolute scratch. He is currently working with local music stores to acquire donated instruments for his 48 students. Should I put him in contact with you?

He is predominately a clarinet player, but I know he also plays sax.

The pro model wouldn't be a permanent donation, but I can work something out for student instruments. I did for Hawkgirl.

Jeff@jeanbaptiste.com

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, I never posted about it or emailed you but I totally got those two instruments at the end of the school year and they are GREAT. Kids were so excited to see them and I was too. Thanks man :)

Some reviews would be appreciated. :D

What they liked, what they didn't like. Stuff like that. I'm always looking to improve my instruments so honest feedback is always appreciated.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtkiS1SU_c

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Gom Jabbar posted:

Do prices fluctuate during the year or are they consistent?

Some stores raise their prices during peak seasons like back to school or Christmas time. It's a good time to pick up a Yamaha YFL-221 though, they're being phased out and replaced by the new YFL-222. Shoot me a PM or email at jeff@jeanbaptiste.com I'll help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Mederlock posted:

I have a Baritone horn and an Euphonium from Wessex, and although I've had some minor issues with the lacquer on the euph, the horns play beautifully. All the folks in the brass band and wind band I'm in are pretty impressed with them too. Have had them for about 2 years now. I can't speak to the quality of their french horns though, although it comes out of the JinBao factory, which is one of the more well regarded Chinese manufacturers of brass instruments that get exported. Tons of companies rebrand their horns (Wessex tubas, Sam Ash's Jean Baptiste [I think], Schiller, Mack Tubas, +more) and sell them to North America and Europe. Best part about Wessex though is their full return policy and warranty. Their double horn falls directly in your budget, so I'd recommend at least considering it too

Sam Ash's brand manager for Jean Baptiste and curator of their vintage and high end horn program checking in and at your service!

Yes, the Wessex and Jean Baptiste brass both come from the Jin Bao factory (and our flutes, our woodwinds now come from the Gulf factory but our made to my specs. I made a KILLER Mark VI copy for alto and tenor if anyone wants a pro horn priced below most intermediates). We charge $1000 for a new double, and I can scour the chain for a higher quality used horn that might fight your budget.

Shoot me an email if and I'll hook you up. Jeff.Galperin@samashmusic.com

That's an open offer for anyone here. Not just brass winds and orchestral instruments. I'm kinda a big deal in the company. You want a deal on anything we stock, new or used? Want a vintage piece? I got you.

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 19, 2016

• Locked thread