Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Soonmot posted:

The Brand is amazingly cool. All of these bounty hunters have been so wonderfully larger than life and distinctive.

I actually forgot this in the face of the rest of the issue, but yeah, every single bounty hunter is wonderfully unique and interesting. Dartgun dog nostrils is the (second) best sidekick ability.

You got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, two of the three bounty hunters we've seen have had animal sidekicks. Is that just a human thing or does The Stalk have a buddy out there? Or was she merged with her buddy? I don't even know! The mythology surrounding this universe is wonderfully vast and unexplored, it really is the way Star Wars felt when I was a kid in the 80's.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I knew someone was going to die, but why did it for sure have to be Heist and probably the Will as well? I mean, the story was definitely going in that direction, but it doesn't make it any less of a bummer. :(

And yeah, the Brand was super awesome, if not a little overshadowed by the rest of the issue (which is understandable). I'm hoping we get to see more of the Brand and her awesome dog sidekick... I feel like she's waaaaay too interesting a character already to let go to waste!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Also the world building! Apparently all the bounty hunters are unionized. That is awesome and brings up so many interesting questions. Argh! Next month cannot come soon enough.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The Will can't be dead. It has already been established by the narrator that her parents meet him. Everyone should stop being worried. Besides he's obviously going to be Han Solo and I will not hear a word otherwise.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

RandallODim posted:

I swear to god if The Will is dead for good I am going to be very very sad, especially because that's such a great final scene for him. Though let's be honest, I'm already pretty sad. Poor Heist.

I don't think I'll be able to call Honest Cat anything but Honest Cat now.

Was he giving out tax advice at the end there? That was so hilarious that it made me worry less.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Was he giving out tax advice at the end there? That was so hilarious that it made me worry less.

It kind of made me wonder if he owes money on something....? Like he thought if he died Sophie would have to pay for it, and she would be overwhelmed?

But I'd also accept he was just out of it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Niemat posted:

It kind of made me wonder if he owes money on something....? Like he thought if he died Sophie would have to pay for it, and she would be overwhelmed?

I think he was just trying to give her the best advice he could think of at the moment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Niemat posted:

Understanding taxes is important, mmmmm'kay?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 22, 2013

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The_Other posted:

I think he was just trying to give her the best advice he could think of at the moment.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to leave her with the most beneficial knowledge he thought he had to impart. Which ended up being about tax payments.

What really hit me was "...money...fucks up...everything...and yet...". It read to me like The Will regretting that seeing money as so important screwed things up for him, but ironically, the thing that ended up getting him killed was that he cared about Sophie, and to some extent The Stalk too.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

Niemat posted:

Or if as The Will he is leaving her money the inheritance tax stuff is important. In The Will. It's in his name. He just dies a lot and leaves things to people. Or he's out of it, which makes more sense really.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Also I don't think anyone pointed out issue 17's callback to issue 1 when Alana says, "Because we have a family to think about now." a phrase she denounced in the first issue as "the rallying cry of losers"

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

kender posted:

Or if as The Will he is leaving her money the inheritance tax stuff is important. In The Will. It's in his name. He just dies a lot and leaves things to people. Or he's out of it, which makes more sense really.

I did say I was willing to accept he was really out of it...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lying Cat and Slave Girl are really my favorite characters in this comic, which is saying something considering how packed with great characters it is.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Given how Lying Cat was rescued from obvious death... I would not be completely put out by a revelation that, oh, I dunno, maybe Heist's brain isn't in his head?

But I'm probably just grasping at straws.

Also, the scene with Marko and the knife... I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about mercy-killing Hazel, but rather about cutting off her wing stubs.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Also, the scene with Marko and the knife... I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about mercy-killing Hazel, but rather about cutting off her wing stubs.

Eh? Why would he do that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Superstring posted:

Eh? Why would he do that?

Er, correction. Cutting off her horn stubs.

"I don't think you really know the robots. You haven't seen what they do to people with horns. To children with horns."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Parahexavoctal posted:

Er, correction. Cutting off her horn stubs.

"I don't think you really know the robots. You haven't seen what they do to people with horns. To children with horns."

Except that wouldn't do anything to help the situation. He's there for them and their child. If they're there, and there's a child with wing nubs and bleeding wounds on her forehead where her horns would/should be, it's not hard to connect the pertinent details.

I think it's more correct to think he was saying that they should be prepared to try and kill Prince Robot IV, despite his vow of pacifism, which he is slightly bad at keeping when his family is at risk. His follow-up of "it won't come to that." when Alana think he's talking about killing Hazel seems to point towards that.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

cafel posted:

Because I don't give Fiona Staples the props she deserves, I have to say that this months cover is jaw dropping and the expression Heist has when he says artist scare him is inspired.

Her work on Mystery Society wasn't as good, but is still loving awesome and led me to Saga.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Finally read issue 17. That was pretty rough. Regarding The Will, I feel like he's the more likely than Heist to be the one who gets to live, but I also have the sneaking suspicion that Sophie might actually be The Will that Hazel was referring too. Part of this is that I kind of expect the book to jump around in time, and give us a progressively older Hazel. It feels like a leap, but him advising her on money made me imagine Sophie becoming a Freelancer in her future.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

onefish posted:

Man, I love Fiona Staples' art for this series. Anyone have recommendations for other really good series or miniseries that are also good showcases for her art?

Sorry for dragging this up from page 2, but I've got a miniseries I think you'll like: North 40. Written by Aaron Williams, too. http://www.comicvine.com/north-40/4050-27021/

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Lars Blitzer posted:

Sorry for dragging this up from page 2, but I've got a miniseries I think you'll like: North 40. Written by Aaron Williams, too. http://www.comicvine.com/north-40/4050-27021/

Hey--thanks! Had not heard about this, and it looks quite cool.

comicvine posted:

Somewhere in Midwestern America was a place called Conover County. When the old book was opened, and the runes therein used in haste and ignorance, a place of farms, simple folk, and small-town dreams became a den of monsters and nightmare. NORTH 40 is the story of those who survived and came to confront an even greater evil on the horizon - one that wouldn't just consume their flesh, but their souls as well. Heroes arise with power to bring against the dark: Wyatt, an unwilling protector of his former tormentors; Amanda, an apprentice to forgotten arts; and Sheriff Morgan, whose bonds with Conover County go back farther than even he can remember. See where it started, and watch where it's all going in NORTH 40 #1. Created by Aaron Williams (PS238, The Nodwick Chronicles) and Fiona Staples (SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: HAWKSMOOR).

get out of fyad
Mar 27, 2013
Here's a preview of Issue 18: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=19990

Anybody know when it comes out?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

get out of fyad posted:

Here's a preview of Issue 18: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=19990

Anybody know when it comes out?

It says it on the link. Tomorrow!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The wait until I can read this issue tomorrow is going to be unbearable. There are so many boots waiting to fall this issue.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I wait for the trade paper backs, so it's just such a wonderful wait. I think issue 2 ended with... marko and his mom on that planet trying to save isabel

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

As per usual for an issue with a number divisible by 6: poo poo! gently caress! poo poo! May?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Just think of it as reinforcing the issues's ending :v:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Man, any scene involving Lying Cat is just gold. How is an animal that can't say more than one word so much more developed as a character than like 90% of the characters out there?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Will's sister calls him Billy. I love this comic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RandallODim posted:

The Will's sister calls him Billy. I love this comic.

At first I thought she was making that part up.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

GodDAMN this is a great comic. Did Y: the Last Man feel this amazing month-to-month? I read Y all in one go and loved it, but practically every single issue of Saga is a stunner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cafel posted:

Man, any scene involving Lying Cat is just gold. How is an animal that can't say more than one word so much more developed as a character than like 90% of the characters out there?

It doesn't hurt that the rest of the characters are good and the writing is subtle. Note how in that scene Lying Cat doesn't say either Klara or Isobel is lying. That tells us a lot about both of them, and about Lying Cat herself.

We also get to see exactly why people on Cleave were afraid of that forest.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's gonna be hard times waiting four months to find out if The Will is staying in the game.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Yawgmoft posted:

It's gonna be hard times waiting four months to find out if The Will is staying in the game.

We may have to wait longer than that. BKV said the next arc is a lot different than this one, and I believe there's a panel in the latest where the narrator states that their paths won't cross again until much later.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

onefish posted:

GodDAMN this is a great comic. Did Y: the Last Man feel this amazing month-to-month? I read Y all in one go and loved it, but practically every single issue of Saga is a stunner.
I think Y drags a little bit in the middle, but for the most part BKV has an amazing balance on books that work equally well for the trade and the single issues. He definitely knows how to seed in these short term rewards and character beats that keep you engaged for the long road ahead. I will say that the most powerful moment and payoff in Y is Yorick realizing that Alter wants to die. That's something at the end of the book, and I think it already pales in comparison to the weight of the reveal about Prince Robot's sexy vision.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Shitshow posted:

We may have to wait longer than that. BKV said the next arc is a lot different than this one, and I believe there's a panel in the latest where the narrator states that their paths won't cross again until much later.

I don't know how solid that information is supposed to be. After all, it was immediately clarified with "well what is time to a baby anyway" and then a time skip.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't know how solid that information is supposed to be. After all, it was immediately clarified with "well what is time to a baby anyway" and then a time skip.

You might be right. I just felt that - given the Vaughn quote below and where a lot of the secondary characters were left at the end if 18 - that it might be a while before we see them again.

"I don't want to say anything about #18 yet, but the six issues after it are going to be very, very different from anything that's come before. It's a story about money, among other subjects that terrify new parents.

We're already hard at work on #19, and it's a doozy. You're either going to think it was totally worth the wait or cancel your pull-list subscription on impact."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What a great series. Like onefish, I read almost all of Y in one setting (I think I just had to wait for the last one or two trades) but I'm really enjoying following Saga along issue by issue.

Shitshow posted:

"I don't want to say anything about #18 yet, but the six issues after it are going to be very, very different from anything that's come before. It's a story about money, among other subjects that terrify new parents.

I kind of wish that they did end up getting jobs with the space telenovella, but that might have been too similar to the acting troupe from Y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I wonder if he's planning on going slow through this.

Or zipping forward 20 years after something horrible happens like one or both of them getting wasted.

Just wondering if she'll be a baby through the series, we'll slowly watch her grow up, or BOOM NINETEEN YEARS OLD.

• Locked thread