Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LordPants posted:

I just assumed that he'd been knocked silly, and that's why it came (no pun intended) up on his screen, instead of say spinning stars or something. Which is echoed by the cover having him lying apparently dead with a test pattern on his screen.

Yeah I took it to mean the same, or a case of desperate profanity in visual form, like a soldier muttering "we're hosed you motherfuckin' cocksocker, this is bullshit ..." as he bleeds out.

For those on the fence because of how cliche and generic the plot sounds, give it a shot. I was put off by the most basic summary making it sound generic as hell "Two soldiers from a world of magic and a world of technology at war with each other fall in love, then run off to raise the baby their homelands don't want anyone to know about," but within the first issues it's made very clear it's not quite going where you think it would, and written by an author with respect for his audience.

The characters all have surprising depth, when they could've very easily been written as one note villains or heroes, they instead feel like real people, with dreams and flaws. It does strike me as all ending in tears though. Too much of the reoccurring theme is the consequences of violence and collateral damage spiraling out of control that I'm sure we're going to have plenty more heartbreaking scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I actually like Alana and Marko. I'd say part of why the other characters seem so interesting is because the story has to sell you on smaller characters and their limited screen time pretty quickly. You're gonna relate to the couple, they don't need to be nuanced right out the gate to have your sympathy in the same way the bounty hunter who solves everything with ultra-violence and self-centered blue-blood need to be.

Jedit posted:

Lying.

I do see your point, but consider who and what they are. Marko and Alana aren't anyone special. The one unique thing about them is that they've had a half-breed child who has survived more than a few days after birth - but it's Hazel who's important, not them. They're just rank and file soldiers on opposite sides of a war who found out that the enemy aren't the monsters of propaganda, then ended up playing Romeo and Juliet because Alana had read too many bad novels and fell in love with the idea of falling in love.

In short: Alana and Marko are fantastically well-portrayed because they're not interesting.
But I am gonna disagree about one of your points here. That trashy novel she loves isn't because she loved the idea of being in love but of normalcy.
I'd say Marko and Alana have legitimately fallen in love not in an attempt to emulate the book, the book is just what got things started as a conversation point since both realized the subversive "The alien doesn't have to be your enemy" message of the author.
I'm just nitpicking about that because as you've said the pair are very well portrayed and refreshingly have steered clear of the cliche this story could've gone with.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tvb posted:

Another good issue for fans of The Will (like me). What's best about his storylines is that they've made him such a great character, but as Vaughan pointed out in an interview, you have to balance that likability with the conceit that you can never fully root for him, because his job is ostensibly to kill or capture our protagonists. (Though it seems increasingly likely that if it came down to it, he would let them go and settle for avenging The Stalk.)

He is quite broken and prone to violence, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get something more alienating soon. I don't think he's going to just get his revenge then ride off into the sunset. He's now got a reason to hate his prey after their encounter, and who knows what twisted way he'll 'make things' right for The Stalk other than his plans for Robot, and sticking with the theme of the comic I'm sure Robot or his family will lash out if The Will gets his way.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Saoshyant posted:

And *BANG* from the last Ex Machina. Yeah, he knows his thing. I do wish he didn't have an ending already planned, though, as at this stage it does sound way too early to let the story flow properly towards that end goal.

e: like, he already knows who lives, who dies, that sort of thing, which I imagine would make more sense to only figure out halfway through when the flow itself sort of takes care of it. But I never wrote a Y: The Last Man anyway, so what do I know.

Having plans now doesn't mean he can't alter things as the story progresses and he's inspired. Hell the last page still even leaves a lot of things in between.

• Locked thread