Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey can anyone recommend a shop in the Fairfax/Falls Church/McLean area? Anyone been to Fairfax Cycles before? I'm looking to get back into riding after several years and my tiny rear end budget means older or higher mileage bikes. A lot of them have little or no records, so I am leaning towards getting a PPI done when I finally find something I want, and even if I don't, I'd like to have a good shop already identified for any work I can't do myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Every single shop I've used in VA and MD was garbage

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well that's awesome I guess. I knew that was true about the dealerships I've been to, but drat.

Normally I do most work myself but I don't have a garage.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Probably too far for you but Myers Cycle Engineering in Kensington MD is really good. I think I originally got the recommendation from this thread actually.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Probably too far for you but Myers Cycle Engineering in Kensington MD is really good. I think I originally got the recommendation from this thread actually.

Might have been from me. They were always good to me. Took care of bikes with sketchy histories, happy to give me free advice, fixed my dumb mistakes, charged a fair price (for the DMV obviously).

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
It's a bit far but hell I used to commute further than that. I'll keep it in mind, thank you guys for the recommendation.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had good experiences with RnR Cycles in VA. They are poorly managed though and were having money issues when I moved from the area. Not sure if they're still open.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hit the bricks pal! posted:

They wouldn't work on my husky cause it's too exotic. :( It's too bad because they're a mile from my job, I could just drop my bike off in the morning and walk to work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tyro posted:

Hey can anyone recommend a shop in the Fairfax/Falls Church/McLean area? Anyone been to Fairfax Cycles before? I'm looking to get back into riding after several years and my tiny rear end budget means older or higher mileage bikes. A lot of them have little or no records, so I am leaning towards getting a PPI done when I finally find something I want, and even if I don't, I'd like to have a good shop already identified for any work I can't do myself.

Brooks' Cycles is good. I used to work for them.
Unfortunately any bike that requires the kind of stuff you can't do yourself is gonna be sitting for a loooooong time, unless it's something like fork seals or tires. However, they'll take stuff that dealerships won't touch with a 10 foot pole.
Jason is really good at looking over bikes though and identifying problems during a PPI.

If you're into vintage bikes then Crossroads Cycles is good.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Faster Twin in VA is p good if you happen to have a dumb Italian bike like me :)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet, thanks guys!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

fwiw I spent years working on my bike in the street. I'm still technically not allowed to do it in my underground apartment garage, but a lil bit of good will and beer to the right people goes a long way. 👌

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Faster Twin in VA is p good if you happen to have a dumb Italian bike like me :)

MY DUCATI

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

fwiw I spent years working on my bike in the street. I'm still technically not allowed to do it in my underground apartment garage, but a lil bit of good will and beer to the right people goes a long way. 👌

I have a proper garage now. :smug:

It's still full of poo poo from moving, but it's a proper garage. You should come by sometime after I move the poo poo out but before I fill it with motorcycles and we'll get that chain and sprockets done.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a proper garage now. :smug:

Sigh....one of these days.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tyro posted:

Sigh....one of these days.

Eh, it's not the 4 car garage I had in Richmond, or the professional garage I worked at in Chantilly, but it sure beats the poo poo out of no garage.
I'd be seriously down for forming a collective though if y'all are really in need of garage space. We'll have to have way too many people to make it worthwhile though...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Eh, it's not the 4 car garage I had in Richmond, or the professional garage I worked at in Chantilly, but it sure beats the poo poo out of no garage.
I'd be seriously down for forming a collective though if y'all are really in need of garage space. We'll have to have way too many people to make it worthwhile though...

Yeah at my last job I had access to a full professional garage with lifts, tools, and mechanics whose ears I could bend. I really miss that.

I've never had my own garage as an adult.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Anyone going for a ride this weekend? Just moved to the area and looking forward to some moto exploring. I checked out some of the local motorcycle groups- dc moto, bikes/breakfast, dunn lewis.

Do moto goons venture out when it is cold? Or do people drink with the DC slack crowd?

There is a trail ride in King George VA on Sunday- anyone going?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll ride when it's above freezing, but not for long. Had to miss the trail ride but my buddy went, she loved it. Hopefully they hold another one soon! I'm in dcmoto, they're generally good peeps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Anyone going for a ride this weekend? Just moved to the area and looking forward to some moto exploring. I checked out some of the local motorcycle groups- dc moto, bikes/breakfast, dunn lewis.

Do moto goons venture out when it is cold? Or do people drink with the DC slack crowd?

There is a trail ride in King George VA on Sunday- anyone going?

Depends heavily on the weather. Cold? yes. Freezing, snow, cold+rain? Not so much. And in the winter if I'm riding it's only because I have to, so... commuting.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I went to the trail ride! It was rad- I have never done single track before, only a few tame grass/dirt/gravel roads. I dropped my bike a few times, but didn’t break anything. I need to buy proper dirt boots and some goggles. Skid plate seems important too.

If anyone wants to ride street or novice dirt stuff I’m game anytime. PM me and we can exchange cell/Facebook or whatever the cool kids do these days (slack seems big in the DC LAN thread).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yo I'd be down, I recently bought my first dirtbike (TTR125) and I'll be hitting up taskers gap sometime soon.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'd be down for street riding provided you all don't mind a goober on a scooter tagging along. Tops out ~80mph, if that's at all relevant.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Should be a good weekend for taskers gap, its been nice down here in the valley and its supposed to be 60 something. I’d be down for some trail riding too.
I live in charlottesville, not DC proper so some of the northern trails near the capital are a long haul to get to.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 28, 2017

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Doing bikes/breakfast in MD this Sunday!

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Doing bikes/breakfast in MD this Sunday!

It was fun- some of us went for a group ride afterwards and found planes, old busted cars and eventually sandwiches.

BMW, Yamaha, HD, and a Suzuki!

Not sure which vehicle is closer to running- also I’m bad at photos.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Anyone go riding in the snow? I took the WRR out Saturday and Sunday. Heated gear is a godsend and let me focus on traction/smoothness.

Clifton bikes and breakfast was interesting. Small crowd due to the weather.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Anyone going to the IMS show in February? Moto goon meet?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
Huh, turns out I met you at the last MD B+B. Now I know to ask you if you have stairs in your house at the next one.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Biek goons abound! What were you riding?

Anyone going to the WATR trail ride this Sunday?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I am! See ya there! I’ll be on the leaky ttr125 on the peewee track with the kids 😂

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
With any luck I'll be tire shopping.
I want to do my front brakes and chain first. I need to do my fork oil but I don't have pitbull stands.
I could put it on the center stand and use a fat goon friend to sit on the back...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bruh you know I got them pitbulls!! Get at me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

Bruh you know I got them pitbulls!! Get at me

Holy poo poo is this my chance to finally buy YOU a beer for a favor?!?!
I'll text you if the wife will let me out of the house this weekend.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I was gonna offer to be the fat guy on the back, but that's probably a better idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone have a tire repair shop recommendation for DC or Arlington?

• Locked thread