Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

hot sauce posted:

I'm curious how fast you'll sell it. It took me a while to sell the 599, which is basically the naked version of your bike. What are you listing it for?

I wrecked mine, and sold it in 3 days for $1000.
It ran fine, but the windshield, mount, and right fairings were pretty hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_Maz posted:

Still trying to sort out price since there haven't been a ton of them on the market to give me an idea of where to start. Figured I'd start researching that while carb jets are soaking this weekend. Any advice/insight is welcome since this will be my first time on the selling side of craigslist.

How long did you have the 599 up for?

I had the 599 up for a month in the fall, and then forgot to repost it. Then had it up for about 2 months in the spring. I had a lot of bullshitters offering me a grand. Eventually sold it for I believe 2,400, which is a few hundred less than what I paid.

unrelated:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/terrence-sterling-body-cam-camera-video-graphic-uncensored-watch-washington-d-c-police-shooting/

The body cam footage came out of that guy the cops shot a few weeks ago on 3rd st.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

hot sauce posted:

I had the 599 up for a month in the fall, and then forgot to repost it. Then had it up for about 2 months in the spring. I had a lot of bullshitters offering me a grand. Eventually sold it for I believe 2,400, which is a few hundred less than what I paid.

Good to know. I need to look at the title to remember what I paid for the F3 but the plan is to get it running and list it now to see if I get any bites at a price that's not a hilarious lowball. I'm not optimistic given the season but no harm in keeping it up for a while. I guess worst case I'll try in the spring.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

I guess worst case I'll try in the spring.

This is the idea. I used to put bikes up on CL about this time and I'd get a few nibbles from people who REALLY wanted to ride.
Now is the time to get rid of project bikes, because everyone wants something to work on over the winter.

First thing in spring is sorta tough because a lot of people are pulling their bikes out of storage and realizing "I don't want to deal with this poo poo" or they just finished a winter project and are trying to flip it.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Depending on how this weekend goes it may be getting listed as a project bike :v: Not sure where all my free time to wrench has gone.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It is really worth fixing if you are able. Mine ran rich due to a carb problem that I gave up on, and it ruined two separate sales. Both people were uncomfortable with how the exhaust smelled and neither knew what running rich/lean meant. Almost everyone I spoke with, including the eventual buyer, was looking for their first bike. I would imagine you'll get the same crowd.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Oh yeah I mean the plan is definitely to fix it this weekend, assuming it's just a carb clean that's needed. I'd much rather be trying to sell a bike in working order than explaining away a project bike. Mostly bitching since it's taken a month to find the time to work on the problem and if I don't get it done now I'm SOL for like another month because of life things.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I'm getting ready to move to Vermont and I don't want to pay 25% the value of my 2009 Enfield Bullet to ship it up there.

It's on craigslist for $2400. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5833427008.html might be inclined to knock a couple hundred bucks off for a goon, hit me up.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Any suggestions for a good shop in Baltimore? Specifically I need a new front tire for a Street Triple R since mine has developed a slow leak.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
STRFKR, Gigamesh, and Psychic Twin tonight @ 9:30.
Doors at 7.

See you guys there?
http://www.930.com/event/1283007-strfkr-washington/

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Alright yall, getting to be that time -- should we do the IMS saturday or sunday? I'm good for either day.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would prefer Sunday. I'll be at Magfest on Saturday :cool:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone need a helmet? I have a large AGV K-3 that I probably won't bring with me when I move. Upgrading soon anyway. Comes with a 2nd tinted visor.

edit: I guess I should elaborate for the folks who don't read the LAN thread. I'm moving to CO for work in a couple weeks. Probably going to buy a sumo out there as soon as I get settled. Keep it :100: DC biek goons

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 16, 2017

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Ready for that heat? 90 tomorrow. :supaburn:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a fuel tank that I need to de-rust, preferably by electrolysis since Evaporust didn't work that well. Problem is that I live in a poorly-vented apartment and I don't want to produce/trap hydrogen gas where I live. Does anyone have experience/a set up for this kind of thing?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

lowcrabdiet posted:

I have a fuel tank that I need to de-rust, preferably by electrolysis since Evaporust didn't work that well. Problem is that I live in a poorly-vented apartment and I don't want to produce/trap hydrogen gas where I live. Does anyone have experience/a set up for this kind of thing?

Me.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/07/gl1000-gas-tank-removal.html
But I'm moving so, not at the moment.

Honestly, you're not going to produce enough hydrogen to be a problem. Trust me, I've tried.
Also, you should probably use prep-n-etch too. poo poo's good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Almost everything you'd use to mess with a gas tank is gonna produce awful fumes, my advice would be to figure out a place you can do the stuff outside. Evaporust and apple cider vinegar are what I use to strip rust, but they do usually take days of soaking in it for it to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lowcrabdiet posted:

If Evap-O-Rust didn't work, I don't think electrolysis will do much better. I've done both and the Evap-O-Rust was by far the more effective. If you've got most of the rust off and it's just some brown spots in the bottom, I'd forget about it and check your fuel filter regularly for the first 10 tanks or so. If it's still flaking off after the Evap-O-Rust, I'd be concerned about the integrity of the tank itself.

Anyway if you want to do electrolysis you could just stick a desk fan next to the tank and open a window. Hydrogen is only explosive in specific mixtures with oxygen so if you dilute it properly there's no real risk.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Alright I will give Evaporust another try, this time to soak for a few extra days. I'll look into other other options if it still doesn't work out. Thanks!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone in NoVa / Central VA interested in an '02 CBR600f4i? Mostly clean with a few scratches, cracks, and dings from the PO. I can post pictures if interested.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2017

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Moving to the DC area for a new job sometime in August. How do you folks not in the 'burbs arrange parking for both beiks and a car? Teach me the Wu tang secrets.

Any suggestions on where to live? Single, 30 something male. Will be working in Downtown Silver Spring. 1 car and 2 bikes right now. Looking to keep rent at around $2k per month and have less than a 30 minute commute by car/moto/bicycle/metro/walk.

Hoping to go on some group rides and do my first track day at some point, and get down to NC for a cornerspin event.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Post in the dc lan thread. I live in an apartment with an underground garage and chain my 2 bikes together. Really depends on your living situation

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Moving to the DC area for a new job sometime in August. How do you folks not in the 'burbs arrange parking for both beiks and a car? Teach me the Wu tang secrets.

Any suggestions on where to live? Single, 30 something male. Will be working in Downtown Silver Spring. 1 car and 2 bikes right now. Looking to keep rent at around $2k per month and have less than a 30 minute commute by car/moto/bicycle/metro/walk.

Hoping to go on some group rides and do my first track day at some point, and get down to NC for a cornerspin event.

Live in Virginia, Maryland sucks.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

If you're working in SS don't do this. Also, don't do this unless you like paying property taxes on your vehicles every year.

2000 should get you something fine in silver spring or nearby. If you want to save a bit go somewhere like hyattsville. Bike parking will be entirely dependent on what type of place you end up renting.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

I would live in or near downtown silver spring if I were you. Not sure where you're moving from but the rush hour traffic in DC is something you have to experience to believe.

I'm sure you can find an apt that will have a parking garage. Make sure to still lock the bikes to something, even if it's secure.

HNasty posted:

Don't do this unless you really enjoy being stuck in traffic. Use VA only for riding bieks and buying guns.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Maryland is hot garbage fite me

(Everything here is hot garbage tbh)

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yah that's why I moved :)

Imo DC is better than both of those states, but you bamas all choose to live out in the burbs for some reason

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Anyone in NoVa / Central VA interested in an '02 CBR600f4i? Mostly clean with a few scratches, cracks, and dings from the PO. I can post pictures if interested.

Yes, but again, house pending, probably can't afford it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

hot sauce posted:

Don't do this unless you really enjoy being stuck in traffic.

On the other hand, living in VA (or anywhere that isn't Maryland, really) is a good way to avoid Maryland drivers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Communist Walrus posted:

On the other hand, living in VA (or anywhere that isn't Maryland, really) is a good way to avoid Maryland drivers.

I disagree. We somehow get droves of them in Fairfax. Seems like they just hopped on 495 going the wrong direction and decided to take it all the way around because getting off and going the right direction would be too hard.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes, but again, house pending, probably can't afford it.

I actually just got back from Fredericksburg selling it :v:

If anyone is interested in a DRZ-400SM however I still have that for sale :v:
https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/mcy/6202269104.html

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of for sale – I have a low mileage 2012 Honda CBR250RA for sale if anyone is looking for a good starter/city bike. It's been sitting in the garage for a few years so the battery is dead but it's otherwise in great condition as far as I know. I've been trying to get rid of it for awhile, so it can be had cheaply if you're willing to pick it up and take it away.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

so does DC have lovely roads, or the shittiest roads? i mean GOT DANG

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Communist Walrus posted:

Get a sumo, problem solved.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Koruthaiolos posted:

Get a sumo, problem solved.

on this topic it looks like FFX is doing some serious roadwork. Burke is all hosed up, but then again so is Clifton/Yates road, which means that there'll be new pavement soon :getin:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Communist Walrus posted:

I once had a pothole in NE rip a muffler off my old truck.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Virginia is a dumb place

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Infinotize posted:

Virginia is a dumb place

Unless you want to do some actual fun riding.

Enjoy your group rides with Sick Stuntaz to Ocean City I guess.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone taken Apex's Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic? I did my basic rider course through them and liked them quite a bit. Would be interested to hear about the experiences of anyone who's done the ARC with them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Communist Walrus posted:

Anyone taken Apex's Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic? I did my basic rider course through them and liked them quite a bit. Would be interested to hear about the experiences of anyone who's done the ARC with them as well.

I took their basic course and the instructors told me that I would really enjoy their advanced rider course. I believe them and don't think they were just trying to upsell me because they also invited me to be an instructor after they let me run the final course on my Goldwing.
One of these days I'll get around to doing it. I've just had way too much going on the last few years.

• Locked thread