Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's looking like the stupid loving moving company is going to drag their stupid loving feet until at least october, so I might as well ask now. Where do you guys keep your bikes in winter? I don't know anybody with a garage, and my place only has aboveground parking lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

It's looking like the stupid loving moving company is going to drag their stupid loving feet until at least october, so I might as well ask now. Where do you guys keep your bikes in winter? I don't know anybody with a garage, and my place only has aboveground parking lots.

I don't have a garage either and this will be my first winter with a bike. Currently, I keep it in a closed area in an alley under a staircase, so that's not gonna fly for December - February. I plan on riding it as far into November as the weather allows and then find a place to store it. My best idea so far is a friends condo parking garage under his building.

If we have multiple DC folks looking to store something for a few months, my landlord has a bunch of garages up on 1st and V St NW we could all chip in for. I believe it's ~225 a month for a 2 car garage space, not climate controlled.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 10, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M42 posted:

I'm in the same boat and I've done a couple of things over the last few years. When I only had one bike I used to take it to my parent's house in PA for the winter, and two years ago I rented a spot in a neighbor's garage for about $75/month if I remember right. Last winter with two bikes I gambled on the weather and got lucky, just parked them under the deck behind my house with covers. That's probably what I'll do this year unless something better materializes.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
I dunno if this would be of interest, and I'll have to see if the wife's ok with the idea, but I'm kinda tempted to offer you guys space in my backyard for like $50/month or something. It's not covered space, but it's private and enclosed in a fence and close to metro. (About 1.5 miles from Franconia/Springfield)

I could also winterize and maintain for a few extra bucks. I already do that kind of stuff for a few guys in the neighborhood.

hot sauce posted:

I don't have a garage either and this will be my first winter with a bike. Currently, I keep it in a closed area in an alley under a staircase, so that's not gonna fly for December - February. I plan on riding it as far into November as the weather allows and then find a place to store it. My best idea so far is a friends condo parking garage under his building.

If we have multiple DC folks looking to store something for a few months, my landlord has a bunch of garages up on 1st and V St NW we could all chip in for. I believe it's ~225 a month for a 2 car garage space, not climate controlled.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 10, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

1st and V is just a couple blocks from me so I could keep an eye on bikes if we stuck them there. Could probably get 6 or 8 bikes in a 2 car spot. You know if it has power?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

1st and V is just a couple blocks from me so I could keep an eye on bikes if we stuck them there. Could probably get 6 or 8 bikes in a 2 car spot. You know if it has power?

Yes, they have power but it's only one outlet for a battery tender or something. I can talk to him on rates and as the date gets closer we can see who's still interested. I'm pretty cool with him so we wouldn't need any early notice or contract.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's worth looking around your apartment complex or asking your landlord, there's often a nook or half-parking spot or somewhere you can leave it. Fill the tank, add Sta-bil and run it for a bit, pull the battery, drain the float bowls if applicable, cover it and it'll be fine. Put it on stands, or just put some 2x4s under the tires (and kickstand) if you're worried about moisture from snow. Maybe some graphite in the locks.

DC winters are fairly mild and people don't gently caress with covered bikes much in the cold - joyrider impulses drop off considerably.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce took me on a beautiful ride through southern Maryland this morning. He can probably explain better, but we circled counterclockwise around Prince Charles county and then shot back through the middle of it to the Potomac.

Eastern shore of the Potomac.

We cruised back by way of CA International Speedway. I guess they had a color run there this weekend, so our hotlaps were interrupted by big piles of colored dust. Also seagulls, a fence and a kid on a scooter.

hot sauce hitting that dust. Blowing past the competition.

edit for geography

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 15, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Today's ride

Love the write up and pictures. I have nothing more to add, but for any confused locals - we rode the perimeter of Charles County after making our way through Prince George's County. That first shot is at the dead end on rt 6. Hopefully more folks can join next time it was a lot if fun!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I tried to gif that video of you but can't figure it out. Maybe I'll put it on youtube or something.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

We cruised back by way of CA International Speedway.

I read that and got confused thinking there was some kind of track down in California, MD before looking at the picture and realizing where it was. I'm disappointed I missed out on this one, my morning ended up having much more limited time than I expected.

I haven't really had any time lately to do long rides but I've been doing some local exploring around the FDA/USDA/UMd research fields near Beltsville and have found some some decent roads. There are a bunch of small roads around there that look like they'd be tons of fun but they all have federal no trespassing signs and I always get too nervous to go down them,

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce is a much better photographer than I am.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

There are a bunch of small roads around there that look like they'd be tons of fun but they all have federal no trespassing signs and I always get too nervous to go down them,

As long as we don't have to bust through gates or anything, we should check those out.

ought ten posted:

hot sauce is a much better photographer than I am.

I was going to post this when I had access to a computer with internet - I couldn't get the forums app to post an attachment yesterday :(

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I haven't really had any time lately to do long rides but I've been doing some local exploring around the FDA/USDA/UMd research fields near Beltsville and have found some some decent roads. There are a bunch of small roads around there that look like they'd be tons of fun but they all have federal no trespassing signs and I always get too nervous to go down them,

Park Police love to camp those Beltsville roads and run radar so I'm assuming they won't let you slide trespassing on the side roads.

Matthew Bueller
Aug 23, 2013

Anal sunshine when she's gone. It's not warm when she's away. Anal sunshine when she's gone. And she's always gone too long. Anytime she goes away.
Met some of you guys a couple (few?) months ago for a ride down to Sky Line Drive. Me on the V-Rod all of you on various. I personally know Mr. Eric Praline, think I met Hot Sauce, can't remember the others.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Matthew Bueller posted:

Met some of you guys a couple (few?) months ago for a ride down to Sky Line Drive. Me on the V-Rod all of you on various. I personally know Mr. Eric Praline, think I met Hot Sauce, can't remember the others.

Yep I was on that ride too.

I saw that bike on Craigslist recently, are you selling it or was that someone else?

Also anyone up for a ride this Saturday? (Sundays are for football now)

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

I saw that bike on Craigslist recently, are you selling it or was that someone else?

There's an all-chromed vrod that pops up on the CL now and then that no one buys. It's not just a cool metallic silver like Matthew Bueller's, it's had every goddamn piece genuinely chromed and it is the most amazingly ugly vrod ever.

The rest of this month is busy, but come second weekend in October, I might actually have time to go out for a ride again! Amazing!

Matthew Bueller
Aug 23, 2013

Anal sunshine when she's gone. It's not warm when she's away. Anal sunshine when she's gone. And she's always gone too long. Anytime she goes away.

McLarenF1 posted:

You didn't see that bike on craigslist, probably a clone. That bike is in my garage.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

It's not just a cool metallic silver like Matthew Bueller's, it's had every goddamn piece genuinely chromed and it is the most amazingly ugly vrod ever.

Well it was all original, until some idiot low sided it on Saturday... and that idiot would be me. Thankfully no injuries and very minor damage. Still not really sure what happened, was coming out of a parking lot, think I hit something slick or loose and the backend went a different way than I intended. Helmets work! Too bad they go in the trash. Helmet hit the ground got a very small bruise.

I won't be back on it until my new mirrors come in and I replace my helmet.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Matthew Bueller posted:

Yep, I was there riding on the black ninja. Sorry to hear about your spill, hopefully everything is fixed soon.

I won't be in town this coming weekend, but am down to ride the next if anyone's free.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

HNasty posted:

October but be prepared to do 25 and stop every 100 yards for tourist stopping in the middle of the road to take pics.
What if we did a super early morning ride out there via highway, rode skyline at sun rise, caught breakfast somewhere near by, and then took the back roads to DC?
It's starting to get kind of cold (at least on a bike at 60+ mph), so I propose we take our big ride to Skyline Drive soon. How does October 5 or 6 work for everyone?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Any NoVA/DC/MD goons have a good line on a way to get a bike towed for service? There's a bike sitting in storage down in Manassass that I want to get up to Clinton MD (50mi between those two points). Though I've used Craigslist to find random guys to help move bikes before, word-of-mouth I've heard that that's a popular bike-stealing scam as well, plus I usually have to filter through the guys who have no idea how to move a bike but happen to have a truck and think they can somehow figure it out.

Any company that doesn't charge terrible prices (tough for a trip of this length), or know anyone that has a truck, a bike, ramp, the general know-how, and can be vouched for as not a dirtbag?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Why not rent a uhaul truck?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Any NoVA/DC/MD goons have a good line on a way to get a bike towed for service? There's a bike sitting in storage down in Manassass that I want to get up to Clinton MD (50mi between those two points). Though I've used Craigslist to find random guys to help move bikes before, word-of-mouth I've heard that that's a popular bike-stealing scam as well, plus I usually have to filter through the guys who have no idea how to move a bike but happen to have a truck and think they can somehow figure it out.

Any company that doesn't charge terrible prices (tough for a trip of this length), or know anyone that has a truck, a bike, ramp, the general know-how, and can be vouched for as not a dirtbag?

Call Clinton Cycles and ask who their towing guy is. I can't recall his name, but he did a good job with my Triumph and wasn't terribly expensive.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Call Clinton Cycles and ask who their towing guy is. I can't recall his name, but he did a good job with my Triumph and wasn't terribly expensive.

Their guy (Chuck's Towing) is $135 hookup plus $3/mi. So that'd be at least $285. Not astronomical, but I've gotten folks to do about the same move for $100 though. Just thought I'd see if any ideas jumped out at folks.

quote:

Why not rent a uhaul truck?

Like an actual enclosed truck with the built-in ramp and all? The smallest truck with a ramp is $30 + $1.35/mi, so since I'd have to pay mileage down and back it'd be 100+ miles, so with fees and gas that's getting pretty towards $200+ as well.

It may honestly just be easiest to suck up and pay a little more for Clinton's recommended guy to do it just so someone competent with all the gear does it. But thought it couldn't hurt to check here.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Their guy (Chuck's Towing) is $135 hookup plus $3/mi. So that'd be at least $285. Not astronomical, but I've gotten folks to do about the same move for $100 though. Just thought I'd see if any ideas jumped out at folks.

Like an actual enclosed truck with the built-in ramp and all? The smallest truck with a ramp is $30 + $1.35/mi, so since I'd have to pay mileage down and back it'd be 100+ miles, so with fees and gas that's getting pretty towards $200+ as well.

It may honestly just be easiest to suck up and pay a little more for Clinton's recommended guy to do it just so someone competent with all the gear does it. But thought it couldn't hurt to check here.

If you have access to a truck or SUV with a tow hitch you can just rent Uhaul's motorcycle trailer, its usually about $15 a day: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=mt

Barring that, you could also rent a pickup truck and then rent Uhaul's trailer. It would still probably come out to be cheaper than towing it.

Or...after I crashed last spring out near Winchester VA and had to pay $400 to get it towed back home, I signed up for AAA's RV Plus plan. Haven't had to use it yet, but supposedly there is no hookup fee and they'll cover the first 100 miles.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I don't have any transport or suggestions to offer, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're replacing your BBQ bike and you should come out with us when you get your new bike squared away.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ought ten posted:

I don't have any transport or suggestions to offer, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're replacing your BBQ bike and you should come out with us when you get your new bike squared away.

As far as I know RnR cycles in Sterling will pick up yo poo poo, I dunno if it's only you've had service there before or not, but if you're cool with a smaller local shop doing the word, give them a call. Their pick up driver is a hilarious drag racer kid.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

McLarenF1 posted:

What if we did a super early morning ride out there via highway, rode skyline at sun rise, caught breakfast somewhere near by, and then took the back roads to DC?
It's starting to get kind of cold (at least on a bike at 60+ mph), so I propose we take our big ride to Skyline Drive soon. How does October 5 or 6 work for everyone?
[/quote]

That will be my first full weekend off in more than a month so either one of those days would work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If anyone has the weekend free I think me and Hnasty are gonna try to hit the VA 16 from Marion to Tazewell (or the Back of the Dragon apparently...) that weekend, on the 5th I guess. I'd say it's an overnight trip at least. http://goo.gl/maps/SDTC7

Hnasty is gonna trailer his bike and get a hotel, lol. I'll be camping wherever I can.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 22, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

If anyone has the weekend free I think me and Hnasty are gonna try to hit the VA 16 from Marion to Tazewell (or the Back of the Dragon apparently...) that weekend, on the 5th I guess. I'd say it's an overnight trip at least. http://goo.gl/maps/SDTC7

Hnasty is gonna trailer his bike and get a hotel, lol. I'll be camping wherever I can.

Definitely down. And gently caress that pussy poo poo.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I'm interested in going too pending weather of course. I'm up for trailering if there's room, if not riding is fine. I'd want to get the cheap hotel/motel room though. Do we have an email thread going for this yet?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously bummed that I can't make this...I'll have a friends wedding that weekend. You guys have to take some pics down there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Email thread? I'll bug Hnasty.

I'm fairly open on days tho. I'm gonna be rafting in West Virginia on the 1st and since I have some days to kill I decided to ride down to Deal's gap. So right now I'm lookin at riding to NC on Wednesday, riding 129 and around there on Thursday, heading back up to VA on Friday and then doing VA 16 on Saturday.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

nsaP posted:

I'm fairly open on days tho. I'm gonna be rafting in West Virginia on the 1st and since I have some days to kill I decided to ride down to Deal's gap. So right now I'm lookin at riding to NC on Wednesday, riding 129 and around there on Thursday, heading back up to VA on Friday and then doing VA 16 on Saturday.

We'll be all over the Dragon's Tail and surrounding areas that weekend, from Thursday to Sunday.

Camping out at the Kickstand Lodge. http://kickstandlodge.com/

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

What's your email? I'll add you in. HNasty's probably busy polishing his Ducati.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

smh - get with the times old man, those were the DC Wheelie/Glory Boyz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgk4s81zo8

But in all seriousness, there is a no chase policy in dc so you would have been fine as long as you wheelied away from them :rock:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Looks like this homie just got served, right G?

I didn't know DC had no-chase, which makes it that much more hilarious that they arrested that guy. I figured they'd chased him into the gas station and cornered him, but I guess he actually thought he could stop and fill up. Need to make friends with these guys asap.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Who is up for a breakfast at the crown vic this sat or sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Who is up for a breakfast at the crown vic this sat or sunday?

I'll most likely be around either day.

• Locked thread