Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Provided the weather isn't utter ballsack I'd be up for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
According to some wonk on the Kojo show today, "there is a sea of asphalt just north of RFK stadium" that would be the perfect spot for new soccer fields.

Sounds like we need to make as much use of that track as possible before it's dug up into a park.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

According to some wonk on the Kojo show today, "there is a sea of asphalt just north of RFK stadium" that would be the perfect spot for new soccer fields.

Sounds like we need to make as much use of that track as possible before it's dug up into a park.

or we could just switch to dirt bikes and supermotos :unsmigghh:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I do a great Kodjo impression, also Diane Rheims but that's really just my crypt keeper impression.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Holy poo poo someone call VAstunt and inform them ASAP!

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Ok, whose got any recent information on the following:

75-80 Dragway

Bing Maps Ariel View

Google Maps Link

This Moparts thread gives a grim picture of the drag strip from back in 2008, but the Bing Birds Eye doesn't make it seem to bad, not to mention a cool small kart track.

*Burhans Memorial AIRPORT-3MD0 (9401 Ball Rd, Ijamsville, MD) is also only a few miles away, it says it's an open private airport, but Bing Maps doesn't show an fences, and a cracked runway, may be worth a drive by too.

**Holy poo poo, there's another airstrip near by too! And only one building near by! Looks like someone's private runway.

Marlboro Raceway

Nevermind it's not worth a trip - click here for pics of track in shambles.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 13, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Some guys on supermoto junkie were talking in August about trying out the kart track. Doesn't sound like they ever did. The consensus was the cops would be all over them and the surface is in rough shape anyway.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My dad and I used to race karts at Monrovia (the track next to 75-80). Even when it was in regular use the track surface was utter crap. I don't think it's been used in the past decade so I imagine it's only gotten worse. I think every now and then there's talk about trying to reopen it but apparently there's some local regulations which only allow them to maintain the current track (that is 75-80) and aren't allowed to make any improvements such as reopening the kart track.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
This saturday 10% of rain (which means 100% for us) and 63, might be the last chance to ride before everything becomes cold and miserable. Lets do it!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0s7j3lous

VA 16 bitches...stick to your roads tho, it wasn't that great

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was going to say... that's like a five hour drive from DC, it'd better be amazing.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

This saturday 10% of rain (which means 100% for us) and 63, might be the last chance to ride before everything becomes cold and miserable. Lets do it!

Count me in for Saturday. Let's do a big ride.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

nsaP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0s7j3lous

VA 16 bitches...stick to your roads tho, it wasn't that great
Man, I can see how bagger types would love that, but having just come back from a trip to the Tail, there's zero comparison to 129. I'll run through in passing eventually, but it doesn't look to be worth it as a destination.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Count me in for Saturday. Let's do a big ride.

I'm in too. What time are you guys looking on heading out?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If you all head west I'll hang with you for a bit on my way to Pittsburgh.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'm in too. What time are you guys looking on heading out?

Does 9 work for everyone ?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

That's a bet

edit: where are we meeting up

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

HNasty posted:

I might try to make it but I might run 15 min late depending on the place of meetup.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

How does the Exxon at the end of M street sound? It's where we usually meet. It's a pain in the butt for me though.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

How does the Exxon at the end of M street sound? It's where we usually meet. It's a pain in the butt for me though.

That works for me, but if it's a pain in the butt for you is there somewhere else that works better? I'll be coming straight through the city regardless.

Also, some more news on the future our favorite urban racetrack:
http://dcist.com/2013/10/wells_introduces_resolution_to_conv.php
Basically, eventually it's going away, but considering how much the councilmembers like to fight over things like this, it's probably at least a couple years away.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

That works for me, but if it's a pain in the butt for you is there somewhere else that works better? I'll be coming straight through the city regardless.

Also, some more news on the future our favorite urban racetrack:
http://dcist.com/2013/10/wells_introduces_resolution_to_conv.php
Basically, eventually it's going away, but considering how much the councilmembers like to fight over things like this, it's probably at least a couple years away.

It's not going away. We just need to buy dirt bikes.

Exxon works for me, but yeah, we can come out a little further your way too if you want.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

I'm fine with anywhere, M st Exxon is good for me but if somewhere off 66 is better just give me the coordinates.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Nah it's cool we can hit the fun roads through great falls on our way out, avoid having to slab it out on 66.

*EDIT: Just realized tomorrow is saturday morning, if anyone is interested in waking up stupid early we can do cars and coffee too!

HNasty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 18, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

We had a good ride/lunch on Saturday despite some ducking delays getting on the road :f5h: Hopefully we have another warm weekend in the near future.

Does anyone have any mechanic suggestions for around here? I was persuaded to get the valve adjustment done by a professional, as I am still learning basic maintenance myself and want this particular one done right the first time. Also, does anyone have any idea how much that would cost on a 08 ninja 250?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Probably a lot of money. To replace a handlebar and turn signal on my pregen ninja was ~$650 @ MHKS. I don't care cause it's not my money this time... but there's a reason I do maintenance on my own (and I'm a maintenance newbie too). I did my first valve adjustment with Z3n's help earlier this year, it really wasn't that hard, just tedious. I could pay it forward and help you out if you'd like.

e oh dang, newgens have shims, never mind :buddy:

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 21, 2013

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Bring your little ninja over, we can do your valve check together.

Otherwise take it to Crossroads Cycle at Bailey's Crossroads. Those guys are top notch.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

I did my first valve adjustment with Z3n's help earlier this year, it really wasn't that hard, just tedious. I could pay it forward and help you out if you'd like.

e oh dang, newgens have shims, never mind :buddy:

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Bring your little ninja over, we can do your valve check together.

Thanks that would be awesome, I'd love to learn how to do it. I've read through the maintenance manual but there is nothing like hands on. I'll probably want to do this before the next riding season so I'll be bringing it up right before Spring. If sitting through winter wouldn't affect it, I'd be down to do it in October or November as well. Let me know what time is good for you guys.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't actually own a garage/chunk of pavement/whatever to do work on unfortunately. They don't allow me to do anything in my apt's parking lot :qq:

Speaking of which, I need to change my coolant before winter. I'm probably gonna do it in the parking structure of the landmark mall cause that place is almost abandoned, but if anyone knows a better place to work on poo poo without being bothered by mall cops, let me know.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Thanks that would be awesome, I'd love to learn how to do it. I've read through the maintenance manual but there is nothing like hands on. I'll probably want to do this before the next riding season so I'll be bringing it up right before Spring. If sitting through winter wouldn't affect it, I'd be down to do it in October or November as well. Let me know what time is good for you guys.
Valve check isn't affected by sitting, so if you're not riding it, it can wait. I'm free most weekends in November. I think you've got my email in the group ride list, so feel free to work timing out with me offline.

The only really annoying thing about valves is that if you need new shims it means a few days with the cover off while you wait for the right size ones. The other option is to get a kit ahead of time, but that's more expensive. I'm seeing ~$80 on ebay. Probably not a bad idea to have a new valve cover gasket ahead of time. You'll need it eventually.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 22, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Valve check isn't affected by sitting, so if you're not riding it, it can wait. I'm free most weekends in November. I think you've got my email in the group ride list, so feel free to work timing out with me offline.

The only really annoying thing about valves is that if you need new shims it means a few days with the cover off while you wait for the right size ones. The other option is to get a kit ahead of time, but that's more expensive. I'm seeing ~$80 on ebay. Probably not a bad idea to have a new valve cover gasket ahead of time. You'll need it eventually.

I am looking and think it's probably wise to get that kit. I'll contact you via email to set something up, thanks dude.

M42 posted:

I don't actually own a garage/chunk of pavement/whatever to do work on unfortunately. They don't allow me to do anything in my apt's parking lot :qq:

Speaking of which, I need to change my coolant before winter. I'm probably gonna do it in the parking structure of the landmark mall cause that place is almost abandoned, but if anyone knows a better place to work on poo poo without being bothered by mall cops, let me know.

If you just need a place to do work, I have an area in the back of my apartment (where I keep my bike). It's not really covered, but is separated from the street. On Sunday's I usually have access to a garage as well. It's used for parking by the folks who own the liquor store attached to my building, but you are free to come use it sometime if you'd like.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

God drat auto correct.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:siren:for anyone who lives in DC proper, you will now be seeing much more colorful things doing wheelies down your street:siren:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Looks like we're gonna get another nice weekend to go riding, I'm hitting up the mountains on Saturday. Hit me up if you wanna roll.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hot sauce posted:

:siren:for anyone who lives in DC proper, you will now be seeing much more colorful things doing wheelies down your street:siren:

Wait wait. You can ride 4-wheelers on the street? :psyduck:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Wait wait. You can ride 4-wheelers on the street? :psyduck:

Not legally, but that doesn't stop a lot of folks. I've been seeing it pretty frequently this year.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Someone in another thread said you could plate them in some states but you can ride them everywhere illegally.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Cops in NYC have a well-known policy not to chase illegal ORVs, cause when they run up on sidewalks and alleys and junk, it makes them more dangerous to bystanders. Which is why ATVs and dritbikes are all over NYC. My guess is that it's getting more widespread, and the police can't do anything in other places either.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Most places have a no chase policy for motorcycles these days, unless you're running form a serious crime and they get approval from a supervising officers they can't really chase. It's really because the statistics are morbid, most of the people who decide to book it on a bike end up seriously hurting themselves or worse. The cops figure it's not worth it give someone a ticket for speeding or not having a license.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

My local shop, RnR cycles is having a even this saturday, you can come heat hot dogs and maybe get a free dyno pull of your bike. 45700 Woodland Rd, #160
Sterling, VA 20166

703-433-9195

parts@RnRCycles.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
HNasty and I are doing a Skyline Drive run on Saturday, stopping by RnR Cycles too for their free dyno runs. Anyone else want to come?

efb, kinda.

• Locked thread