Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll be moving in August 9, so I might as well post my info here.

Bike: Itty bitty ninja two fiddy (pregen)
Years ridden: half year
Down for: Please god not the beltway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'd like to work on my bike by myself. In SF, there's a cool workshop where you can rent a spot for a day to do whatever the hell. They've got tools, lifts, experienced people around, all sorts of awesome stuff, and it's like $50 a day. Is there anything like around DC? My new place only has a parking lot, it'd be kind of a pain to strip everything off the bike and do slightly more complicated stuff like carb cleanings and poo poo. Probably get heat stroke too cause there's no shade.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just got to my new place in alexandria. My stuff+bike aren't coming till saturday. Does anyone have or know of a garage/secure parking spot/whatever for a bike? There's been a lot of motorcycle theft in my area (even bikes chained to immovable poo poo). I have comprehensive and fuckoff big chains, but I'd rather not have my bike stolen anyway.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I would totally be down for that, my bike should be fixed by then.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's looking like the stupid loving moving company is going to drag their stupid loving feet until at least october, so I might as well ask now. Where do you guys keep your bikes in winter? I don't know anybody with a garage, and my place only has aboveground parking lots.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Why not rent a uhaul truck?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is it covered/offstreet? Cause I'd be down for that too. If not, I'd also be fine with storing it at Praline's backyard for a few months.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How late in the year do you guys usually stop riding? I've just found out it's probably going to be another two weeks till the bike gets fixed. I've spent most of the last decade in boston, so riding past mid-october seems an impossible thing in my mind, but I don't know when it gets cold/icy/whatever in this area. Don't really want to buy any winter gear either, I'm only here for 3 winters and I'll never use it again when I move away.

:sigh: 2+ months for a handlebar and a light.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

What exactly is wrong with your bike?

Moving company broke it, dragged their feet on getting the appraiser out, dragged their feet on sending the check, appraiser didn't appraise correctly, now the shop has to call them to authorize another check, basically a two month clusterfuck. They also broke a bunch of other belongings of mine, like a vintage record player, which they took to get repaired 2 weeks ago and returned yesterday, literally untouched and still broken.

I really wish I could have repaired the bike myself. It would have taken a week.

e:

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 7, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Probably a lot of money. To replace a handlebar and turn signal on my pregen ninja was ~$650 @ MHKS. I don't care cause it's not my money this time... but there's a reason I do maintenance on my own (and I'm a maintenance newbie too). I did my first valve adjustment with Z3n's help earlier this year, it really wasn't that hard, just tedious. I could pay it forward and help you out if you'd like.

e oh dang, newgens have shims, never mind :buddy:

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 21, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't actually own a garage/chunk of pavement/whatever to do work on unfortunately. They don't allow me to do anything in my apt's parking lot :qq:

Speaking of which, I need to change my coolant before winter. I'm probably gonna do it in the parking structure of the landmark mall cause that place is almost abandoned, but if anyone knows a better place to work on poo poo without being bothered by mall cops, let me know.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, looks like time to talk about winter storage for real. Hot sauce, how many bikes you think we can fit in that garage space your landlord's renting?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's alright, if praline's got a space in his yard still I can put it there. Just have to fog the cylinders first. I just want to get it away from road salt.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

If anybody else needs some more room I also have covered space behind my house where I could probably squeeze a couple bikes. Also, if the handlebars a narrow enough I would probably have room to put one in my basement. If anyone's interested I'll check with my wife.

Hmmm... I could actually go for your covered space if possible, just to keep the bike out of direct precipitation. It spent the whole time at the repair shop sitting in the rain for a month, don't really want to repeat that...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

This was the first maintenance I have done beyond the basics and cannot wait to tear it down again.

:cool::respek::cool:

Exactly how I felt when I did my first valve check.

e: Amongst other feelings, such as "oh my loving god PO, three of these valves have NO CLEARANCE AT ALL :tizzy:"

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 11, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Post a trip report, I'm considering going tomorrow. Gotta get a pic of me on the grom.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'd love to as well, but I'd have to re-winterize the bastard. :argh:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is... is spring coming? It's gonna be solid 50s/60s all week, does that kind of weather hold here around this time of year?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My tombstone will say "died of cabin fever"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How was the pothole situation? Where I live there's giant chunks missing out of the asphalt everywhere.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gettin' real tired of your poo poo, winter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Phone posting so can't elaborate, but getting a vintage bike for a first is a bad idea. Post in the "what bike i should buy" thread, they'll help you out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been to both coleman and crossroads. Coleman's nothing special, the gear people are helpful and will order out-of-stock sizes for you for no extra price. I went to crossroads to get some bushings moved from one set of dogbones to another, and those dudes are really fun to talk to. $$$$$ like most repair shops, though. Lady in front of me was getting an oil change for $90 god whyyyyyy :gonk:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Monrovia, so like over an hour.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, I didn't even know there were two of them. In that case, it's like 50 miles.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I think it's cause the beltway is such a shitshow wrt traffic, that's definitely something you don't want to deal with as a beginner.

HNasty posted:

bunch of dudes on bikes

a sputter of goons

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Text me the deets once you get em, I'll help out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Like, everything. Rust everywhere, almost no front brake pads to speak of, low and old brake fluid, almost completely bald stock terrible ninja tires (the rear tire stepped out when the dude showed us the rear brake), missing fasteners, sounded hoarse and like some valves weren't clearing, etc etc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, it'd be necc0's first bike, and the general consensus is that your first bike should be rideable from the get go. Nothing's worse than spending months getting a bike into rideable shape instead of actually learning how to ride.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Aaah, gotcha. If necc0 doesn't want it, I'm sure it'd go pretty fast on CL. I've seen a lot of WTB BROKEN BIKE ads lately.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there a single fun road anywhere near DC that isn't like at least an hour and a half away and two miles long :qq:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks guys, I was having trouble trying to find stuff close by. Weather's looking good this weekend, so I might join you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So guys, any plans this weekend?

Also mclarenf1, that really sucks dude. Put all you've got into the PT, and you'll get better much earlier. Worst thing you can do with an injury is slacking on the the therapy.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That the one in great falls? Looks fun! For a second I thought it was old yates ford/henderson (also pretty fun but road condition was meh in oct). Deer all up in your poo poo over there, too.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hey guys, I'd avoid beach mill rd for a few weeks unless you ride a sumo. They've ground down the road surface about halfway through on the direction hnasty's riding in his video. Might be resurfacing all of it for all I know. Gravel everywhere in the middle of the road, uneven surface, patches, slow-rear end construction trucks, etc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Georgetown pike/old dominion dr were really chill non-twisty rides though. Plants and trees were all blooming so it smelled extra nice :kiddo:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So how was cornerspin, dudes?

Also, are there any novice track classes locally? Summit point has a lot of advanced stuff, but I can't seem to find anything mentioning a "I have never done poo poo at high speed corner newbie" class.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sounds like a blast. I've been putting together a list of classes I want to take in the future (which is why I asked about the track - thanks HNasty for the NESBA thing!) and it looks like cornerspin's getting slapped on there too.

I'm reminded of a phrase I read somewhere in this forum: "riding cupcake"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just an fyi, henderson rd is in terrible condition and hampton rd is full of gravel, if any of you are heading out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ha, actually no, I just toodled over on my own in the afternoon. Anyone know if beach mill road is still being repaved?

• Locked thread