Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

Koruthaiolos posted:

Does anybody have a good mechanic recommendation in the area? I don't have anything pressing right now, but I feel like if something did come up I'd like to already know of someone. All I've seen around are scooter shops and dealerships. I think some of the scooter shops will work on motorcycles too, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Some independent shops in the area:
Gaithersburg, MD: Cyclemax USA and RAM Cycles
Chantilly, VA: Brooks Cycles
Sterling, VA: RnR Cycles

I've only been to Cyclemax and RAM but I've heard good things about the other two as well.

Also going to add my info:

Location: Baltimore, MD but I frequently ride in the general Baltimore/DC/Frederick area and occasionally into W VA and NoVa as well.
Bike: 2012 Ninja 1000
Years ridden: 4.5+
Down for: Country roads, the few twisty roads in this area, daylong rides, trying to get into trackdays at some point as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

Koruthaiolos posted:

Do you know any good routes between Baltimore and DC? I've got some friends in Baltimore I'd like to visit more and right now I usually end up taking the MARC when possible, but if there was a route to ride that wouldn't be hellacious that would be preferable.

I think highways are pretty much your only option. Theres Rt 1 north, but then you'll have to deal with stoplights and cars constantly left turning in front of you. I assume you want to avoid 495 and I-95? I frequently ride between Gaithersburg and downtown Baltimore and I'll take the ICC (MD 200) to bypass 495 and then go up 29 (Columbia Pike) to I-70, then just take I-695 to I-83.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Their guy (Chuck's Towing) is $135 hookup plus $3/mi. So that'd be at least $285. Not astronomical, but I've gotten folks to do about the same move for $100 though. Just thought I'd see if any ideas jumped out at folks.

Like an actual enclosed truck with the built-in ramp and all? The smallest truck with a ramp is $30 + $1.35/mi, so since I'd have to pay mileage down and back it'd be 100+ miles, so with fees and gas that's getting pretty towards $200+ as well.

It may honestly just be easiest to suck up and pay a little more for Clinton's recommended guy to do it just so someone competent with all the gear does it. But thought it couldn't hurt to check here.

If you have access to a truck or SUV with a tow hitch you can just rent Uhaul's motorcycle trailer, its usually about $15 a day: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=mt

Barring that, you could also rent a pickup truck and then rent Uhaul's trailer. It would still probably come out to be cheaper than towing it.

Or...after I crashed last spring out near Winchester VA and had to pay $400 to get it towed back home, I signed up for AAA's RV Plus plan. Haven't had to use it yet, but supposedly there is no hookup fee and they'll cover the first 100 miles.

• Locked thread